Why do other loyal CC'rs act as if NCL is economy class?

NH Cruisers

Very good question. Here is another good question. Why does NCL have the lowest rated ships on CC? The lowest rated Carvival ship scores better than NCL's best rated ship.

People openly tell me how bad NCL is and when I chime in, they say "go to cruise critic and read for yourself"

I sort of disagree with the majority of this thread. I dont think it has anything to do with dress code. People are on vacation to have FUN. Stop worrying what everyone else is wearing.

I think NCL may be rated lower because people like to complain. The cruise I just got back from was wonderful but every review I read before I left for the Dawn was horrible! We need more NCL fan's eager to write good reviews to counteract the bad.

OK two weeks ago, I could not have weighed in on this conversation or given an opinion.

But because NCL did not offer the itinerary I wanted I had to start researching other lines and spending some time on other boards.

And the only thing I can say IMO why other boards do this with NCL is because they are uppety and think NCL is beneath them.

In spending time on the other boards, the only board I found similar to NCL in peoples attitudes was Carnival.

When I first went to the other boards (hadn't been to Carnival board then), the only thing I wanted to do after spending a couple of days there was to run back to the NCL board and to not research any further :(

I have done 6 Carnival cruises so I have spent a lot of time on the Carnival boards over the last few years. Our second NCL cruise is coming up next month. Our first NCL cruise was the POA, so I spent most of my time before that trip on the Hawaii board. So only in the last few months have I spent a lot of time on the NCL board. I have noticed this in comparing the 2 boards - in general the NCL board is more welcoming to newbies, and more tolerant of posters with negative experiences or opinions. Some of the Carnival cheerleaders are rabid in their defense of CCL. I'm sure the fear if being attacked or ridiculed, even if it is on an online forum, prevents many people from posting at all, or they at least temper anything that might be perceived as negative. That prevents people from getting an honest picture. I want to hear all opinions, good and bad, and then I will make up my own mind. I have enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises, but if I was a newbie and based my choice of cruise line by the attitudes of people on CC boards, I would probably be afraid to cruise on Carnival. We are very much looking forward to our Star cruise next month. When we return I will do a review including my thoughts in comparing the two lines.

DUde if you wear shorts for dinner cool

What a man wears is his own choice.

I wont wear shorts in the MDR even on NCL

Maybe it was they way I was raised or my Military background. Each to their own.

Since you have only sailed on NCL you may be on vacation but certain cruiselines dont allow them

Celebrity, Princess besides HAL have dress code that doesnt allow certain clothes in the MDR.

While I commend NCL on its freestyle concept it also started the dumming down of attire on the mass market cruiselines.

BTW I am booked on the Epic again so I guess it doesnt bother me that much

My ast Alaska cruise on the Sapphire Princess there was a guy who dinned most every night in the MDR with ripped and holed blue jeans. A nice pair of shorts would have fit in a lot better I think.

Very good question. Here is another good question. Why does NCL have the lowest rated ships on CC? The lowest rated Carvival ship scores better than NCL's best rated ship.

People openly tell me how bad NCL is and when I chime in, they say "go to cruise critic and read for yourself"

I sort of disagree with the majority of this thread. I dont think it has anything to do with dress code. People are on vacation to have FUN. Stop worrying what everyone else is wearing.

Really? I find it really hard to believe that Carnival could be rated higher than NCL (not meaning that I dont believe you!!!)

NCL does not allow shorts in the larger main dining room. We got off the Dawn last week, and we stopped by after a show for dinner, not even thinking that my daughter had shorts on (they were fancy sequined shorts that looked like a skirt, but shorts none-the-less). She was not allowed in with the shorts, so we were all seated and ordered drinks while she went back to room to change. I believe shorts were allowed in the smaller main dining room but we never had shorts on again at dinner time so it didn't come up.

Just jogged my memory. My brother in law got turned back in one of the MDRs at dinner one night for wearing a sleevless shirt. (On the DAWN) It was no big deal, he went and put a regular collar shirt on.

When people spend a lot more money on one cruise line apposed to another for a similar product.

They convince themselves that it MUST be a better line .

Because if its not what does that say about them ? ( Im foolish ?)

And who wants to look foolish , so they complain .

Anyone thats incapable of picking the nits from a dozen reviews and making up their own mind deserve what they get .

But then again who cares ...;)

Many lines , all suites and Ive picked my current Fav. NCL

I think NCL may be rated lower because people like to complain. The cruise I just got back from was wonderful but every review I read before I left for the Dawn was horrible! We need more NCL fan's eager to write good reviews to counteract the bad.

With that logic, all cruise lines would be low rated....or are you saying only NCL cruisers like to complain?

I rate every cruise I go on, and I have written numerous reviews. Some have been glowing and some not so much. I'm one who posted a somewhat negative Dawn review and frankly, it's a little offensive that you would say it was only because I "like to complain." It is what it is, and my Dawn cruise had problems.

I have done 6 Carnival cruises so I have spent a lot of time on the Carnival boards over the last few years. Our second NCL cruise is coming up next month. Our first NCL cruise was the POA, so I spent most of my time before that trip on the Hawaii board. So only in the last few months have I spent a lot of time on the NCL board. I have noticed this in comparing the 2 boards - in general the NCL board is more welcoming to newbies, and more tolerant of posters with negative experiences or opinions. Some of the Carnival cheerleaders are rabid in their defense of CCL. I'm sure the fear if being attacked or ridiculed, even if it is on an online forum, prevents many people from posting at all, or they at least temper anything that might be perceived as negative. That prevents people from getting an honest picture. I want to hear all opinions, good and bad, and then I will make up my own mind. I have enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises, but if I was a newbie and based my choice of cruise line by the attitudes of people on CC boards, I would probably be afraid to cruise on Carnival. We are very much looking forward to our Star cruise next month. When we return I will do a review including my thoughts in comparing the two lines.

As you can see by the amount of posts I have in 3 2 1/2 years of being on CC, that I spend a lot of time on this board (as most of those posts are on the NCL board). So the cheerleaders for those camps do not intimidate me or sway me, nor does the newbie non-welcome or the strong opinions and rudeness that is sometimes posted back to others. As a matter fact I only posted on one other board besides Carnival and it was a controversial subject to start with so I expected it to get a bit nasty, which of course it did. So I'm just speaking about lurking those other boards and observing. I like to test the water before jumping in :D

In lurking, I got a distinct impression of a real uppety attitude from a very large majority of what appeared to be long time, regular posters. I also seen newbie posts go unanswered for a very long time which is not the case with the helpful regulars on NCL and Carnival. I also seen very valid questions been answered with an almost dismiss type of answer or very condescending type, that you came away thinking that the replier was saying "if you have to ask that you have no business being on this cruiseline".

Now no this does not give a true picture of all of the passengers on those ships, but certainly gives a a group of who would be. Thank you that is not the type of people I wish to spend my vacation with. One line in particular (and I won't cut another board down by naming the cruiseline). But I would not sail on that cruiseline if it was the last cruiseline available. The whole board is awful.

Well one time I made a statement on here that I wasn't leaving NCL until I had did all the itineraries and ships I wanted to do, then maybe I would venture out. I also said "but never say never"

I'm now eating my words LOL

It really helped after a couple of days on the Carnival board I started to see a couple of familiar faces (or in this case screen names). It helped me not to feel so alone over there.

RCCL CC's too. They have some really good folks over there. Alot of complainers too that really look down on CCL and NCL. Like any other, if you can find the folks who are open to being open minded you will make really good friends.

Just a thought: I think a distinction between the Carnival, NCL, RC group and the Princess, HAL, Celebrity group could be as simple as things like enrichment classes.

In five cruises in the first group, I've seen no "classes" that weren't aimed at the cruise line making money. In one cruise involving the last group (a Princess cruise to the Mexican Riviera in 2007), there were several classes that were actually useful. A Spanish class sticks out in my mind as truly useful without making a dime for the cruise line.

I agree, I think that is probably one of the few distinctions between the two categories. On NCL they try to claim the art auction is an "art history enrichment class", on Cunard they have a couple of speakers taking up cabin space to do enrichment lectures.

I also think a difference is if they make your sign out towels on the pool deck.

But, as the OP is basically pointing out, there really isn't a huge difference between "mainstream" and "premium". I sail on both categories of lines, and enjoy all my cruises.

However, I do try to take advantage of true enrichment lectures when I'm sailing on a line that offers them.

Really? I find it really hard to believe that Carnival could be rated higher than NCL (not meaning that I dont believe you!!!)

Here are some examples. Remember that NCL has the youngest fleet at sea. So really this should not even be a comparison since Carnival has some very old ships from the early to mid 1990's still sailing. NCL's oldest ship was built in 1999.

Carnival Legend 83% NCL Pearl 78%

Carnvial Liberty 79% NCL Epic 73%

Carnival Destiny 75% NCL Star 71%

Carnival Facination 76% NCL Sky 66%

NCL Dawn 72%

See where I am going with this? IMO there should not be even a close comparison.

Here are some examples. Remember that NCL has the youngest fleet at sea. So really this should not even be a comparison since Carnival has some very old ships from the early to mid 1990's still sailing. NCL's oldest ship was built in 1999.

NCL Dawn 72%

See where I am going with this? IMO there should not be even a close comparison.

Wow!!! I'm kinda speechless. :eek:

Many lines , all suites and Ive picked my current Fav. NCL

Maybe that is the differnce. Ive never cruised in a suite on NCL I have heard it is some of the best service at sea.

Ive only done a full suite on CCL wasnt any different service wise than a regular cabin. So we wont even book them anymore.

I still have got the best service ever on X no matter what cabin I am in

RCCL CC's too. They have some really good folks over there. Alot of complainers too that really look down on CCL and NCL. Like any other, if you can find the folks who are open to being open minded you will make really good friends.

Thanks maybe that is another cruiseline I will try in the future, I never made it to that board.

I also think for newbies it's how you enter a board. I entered as a guest on the carnival board not as entitled or as some newbies start their first thread by asking "I've heard horrible things....". And we know that will bring out the cheerleaders in full force because you are starting by cutting down a line that they love. Now not that I haven't voiced an opinion. (As most regulars know on this board, I am quite opinionated, especially on certain subjects :eek:). So to me it is no different than real life, your first impression can leave a lasting effect.

And you are very right, with the right attitude, I have spoke with some really amazing appearing people on these boards that I would love to sail with one day.

But in getting back to the topic at hand this was the reason that I felt NCL was belittled by other boards, is because of the actual tone of those boards as being better than the average bear (as yogi bear would say).

My ast Alaska cruise on the Sapphire Princess there was a guy who dinned most every night in the MDR with ripped and holed blue jeans. A nice pair of shorts would have fit in a lot better I think.

Hey he probably paid alot for those holes:p:D

NCL Dawn 72%

of that list Ive been on all the Carnival ships but only the Epic for NCL

I would rate the Epic above the Liberty, Destiny and Facination

But the Legend is one of my favorite class of ships(Spirit) along with RCCL Radiance class, Celebrity Millenium class and HAL Vista class.

They are what I think are the perfect size and amount of Pax

Hey he probably paid alot for those holes:p:D

My husband loves his True Religion jeans. I kinda drew the line though when he purchased the ones filled with holes - especially at the knees! I understand that's the style, but ... well, if you know the brand, you know how expensive they are LOL He should get the full jean for that price ;)

Even though that is the rule for dinner, it is rarely enforced.

Only in the aft MDR

NCL FAQ

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days.

My husband loves his True Religion jeans. I kinda drew the line though when he purchased the ones filled with holes - especially at the knees! I understand that's the style, but ... well, if you know the brand, you know how expensive they are LOL He should get the full jean for that price ;)

OK, Sissa can you please now come over and wash the coffee off of my computer screen that you made me spit out :D

We sailed on the Sun in March 2008 and loved the ship...probably my favorite. Enjoy.

We did the Panama Canal transit on the Sun in 2006. Loved it.

We spent 33 days on the Sun in 2010 on b2b2b cruises. Again loved it.

A great little ship. Loved the open bow area outside the fantastic observation lounge windows. Also enjoyed the view from Sports Bar windows and of course from The Great Outdoors section as well.

Even though that is the rule for dinner, it is rarely enforced.

Not true. Shorts are allowed at the mid-ship MDR (the much smaller one). However, they do turn people away from the aft dining room because shorts are not allowed. I've seen it myself on all 3 NCL cruises (I've seen families with kids as young as 7-8 asked to change or directed to another dining option). When we don't want to change out of shorts, mid-ship MDR - here we come.

I'll throw my proverbial .5 cents in now.

We have cruised exclusively with Celebrity since our first in 2004, total of 10. We love Celebrity for several reasons. It is a great line with great service, we've built up some good points for some pretty good perks and we are very comfortable with the whole Celebrity line. Sure, we've had issues, problems etc but not bad at all.

We have booked the Gem out of NYC for March 4, 2013. Why?? In the past we've always cruised alone (my wife and I). We have always met people on board, great people, some of whom we've cruised with again. I guess I should add we are pretty sociable outgoing people.

In November of 2011 while on the Celebrity Silhouette we met a couple that we had lots and lots of fun with. We've stayed in touch and they asked us to come on this cruise with them. We were a little apprehensive but I too lurk around other boards than my usual (i.e. this one) and I like what I read. We are going with an open mind. We're thrilled to be trying another line that we wouldn't have tried without a push from our friends. Plus, my wife has convinced one of her co workers and a friend of his to also come with us. The more the merrier.

So, we are excited about having an "entourage", lol, BEFORE we get on the ship and looking forward to all kinds of fun. Really looking forward to all the dining venues on the GEM.

So, even I am asking myself "What is the point of this post?" LOL, I think people get comfortable with a certain line and tend to stick with it. Certainly that was our situation. But, with an opportunity to try a new line with people we know we'll have fun with, "LETS GO!"

Maybe I"ll even post a review when we return??;)

One final thought; one thing that really swayed me about NCL were the numbers of posters on these boards who say how friend the crew is from top to bottom. That is huge for us and I hope it is what we find.

Wish us luck...................what my Patriots lacked last night:rolleyes:

It is crazy what they charge for distressed jeans. :eek:

My grandmother used to patch those holes when I was a kid.

Now they are considered stylish and yes I have had something similar in the past:o

Not holes in the knees but on the thigh

Archived