Why do other loyal CC'rs act as if NCL is economy class?

NH Cruisers

I am sure you will love NCL. I see you are supporting prostate cancer. I am an oncology nurse and have unfortunately lost several great patients to prostate cancer. I am all for any new treatments that come out for prostate cancer (as well as any other type of cancer). Let us know how you like NCL.

I have no doubt we will enjoy our first cruise on NCL. We have 10 cabins booked so far from our online prostate cancer support group and about half of them have never been on a cruise. One of our members booked this morning and he lives in Maui and will flying all the way to New Orleans to join us. Some of our group are fighting advanced prostate cancer and going through medical oncologists for treatments. I have also lost too many great friends to this terrible disease from our support group.

Not necessarily. I cruised both those lines...ONCE

I am not saying that I would never try them again but they weren't right for us. NCL fits us better.

I will say I'd sail RCI over Celebrity at this point, given those two choices. Celebrity was just too 'formal`uppity`stuffy' for us. However, that was back in 2006 and I have heard much on X has changes since then; some of it not for the better.

I like the crew on ships I sail to be laid back. Some see that as lower class (???REALLY??? Someone with class doesn't like to relax and loosen up on vacation??)

On my Celebrity cruise, at 2:00 every afternoon they marched on the pool deck, complete in tuxes and white gloves; towels tossed over the arm with trays of sorbet.

A sorbet parade every day

??????

Yes, some people like this formality...good for you. Not so much for me.

Service was impeccable...but stuffy, and a good many passengers were as well. SO, because of that we have yet to go back.

Maybe one day I'll be in the mood to experience that again. Just not at this point in time.

Maybe that is why the X crew seemed to enjoy our company. We are just fun and upbeat people. There might be a place for "stuffy", like the opera or church, but on vacation? Nah.

I enjoyed my X cruise, more than RCL. But I would go on any line over no vacation. I make my own fun.

Maybe that is why the X crew seemed to enjoy our company. We are just fun and upbeat people. There might be a place for "stuffy", like the opera or church, but on vacation? Nah.

I bet they did enjoy your company!! On our last day on that X cruise, I was in one of the shops on board and the girl behind the register was beaming, she was so happy! I remarked at how happy she seemed and she whispered to me, "I'm being transferred to a Royal Caribbean ship after we get off tomorrow."

I said, "You like Royal better?" She said, "The people are more fun."

(or maybe she said 'younger'...I don't recall exactly, but the point she was making was not lost on me)

So, I bet that anyone fun and upbeat is VERY much appreciated!! :) It may have just been poor luck on our part but that ship/sailing has the most 'not fun' people I have ever sailed with.

We enjoyed the cruise for sure. We made it one of relaxing while on board. It was a Canal crossing cruise, so the itinerary was the best we have ever enjoyed for sure...but for me, the passengers and happiness (or misery) they are exuding...as well as that of the crew, impact my cruise a LOT. I am probably way too sensitive to the 'energy' around me all the time, and if there was a way I could 'fix' that, I would but I can't. So that's why NCL works for me. The crew are always happy and having fun, which makes the passengers have fun, which in turn makes me happy.

Everyone is different, but that's how it works for me. :)

I bet they did enjoy your company!! On our last day on that X cruise, I was in one of the shops on board and the girl behind the register was beaming, she was so happy! I remarked at how happy she seemed and she whispered to me, "I'm being transferred to a Royal Caribbean ship after we get off tomorrow."

I said, "You like Royal better?" She said, "The people are more fun."

(or maybe she said 'younger'...I don't recall exactly, but the point she was making was not lost on me)

So, I bet that anyone fun and upbeat is VERY much appreciated!! :) It may have just been poor luck on our part but that ship/sailing has the most 'not fun' people I have ever sailed with.

We enjoyed the cruise for sure. We made it one of relaxing while on board. It was a Canal crossing cruise, so the itinerary was the best we have ever enjoyed for sure...but for me, the passengers and happiness (or misery) they are exuding...as well as that of the crew, impact my cruise a LOT. I am probably way too sensitive to the 'energy' around me all the time, and if there was a way I could 'fix' that, I would but I can't. So that's why NCL works for me. The crew are always happy and having fun, which makes the passengers have fun, which in turn makes me happy.

Everyone is different, but that's how it works for me. :)

Wow. Love your insight.

I hear all these stories and say "wow, glad that wasn't my experience" and hope it has as much to do with me as outside influences. And, cruising with my mom has something to do with it. She's upbeat and fun and would definately give me grief if I was not the same. :)

We've been on 2 cruises.

1st was on Cunard Queen Mary 2 for the Xmas/New Year Caribbean cruise. Myself and wife in a P1 Princess Grill Suite, my Mum & Dad in the adjoining P1 Princess Grill Suite.

2nd was again, Cunard QM2 this time in a Queens Grill Suite for a Sept New England/Canada cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary.

Each time there were a number of formal (black tie), semi-formal (suit and tie) and smart Casual (blazer/pants) each evening. I liked the dressing up and the formality of some of the evenings.

We're going on our 1st NCL Cruise this December on the Sun - we have the whole family going and we have 5 cabins booked from us in the Owners Suite through a Mini-Suite through to Balcony Cabins (one of which is my Mum in an adjoining Balcony to turn the OS into a 2 bed suite for us all to use)

It will be interesting to compare the Freestyle versus the formality of Cunard through to the massive size of the QM2 to the NCL Sun (which I believe is the smallest ship in the fleet ?). I enjoyed the Grill Lounge, the separate Grill Deck on the QM2 plus the Nightclub and the planitarium.

I have a sneaking suspicion I may enjoy NCL more, from what I've read there is little to no formality which I may miss a little as I like getting dressed for dinner - it adds, not detracts in my opinion to the experience.

...We shall see though. My point is, there's no real 'right' or 'wrong' - you're not at home, you're not at work, how bad can it really be ? :D

We've been on 2 cruises.

1st was on Cunard Queen Mary 2 for the Xmas/New Year Caribbean cruise. Myself and wife in a P1 Princess Grill Suite, my Mum & Dad in the adjoining P1 Princess Grill Suite.

2nd was again, Cunard QM2 this time in a Queens Grill Suite for a Sept New England/Canada cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary.

Each time there were a number of formal (black tie), semi-formal (suit and tie) and smart Casual (blazer/pants) each evening. I liked the dressing up and the formality of some of the evenings.

We're going on our 1st NCL Cruise this December on the Sun - we have the whole family going and we have 5 cabins booked from us in the Owners Suite through a Mini-Suite through to Balcony Cabins (one of which is my Mum in an adjoining Balcony to turn the OS into a 2 bed suite for us all to use)

It will be interesting to compare the Freestyle versus the formality of Cunard through to the massive size of the QM2 to the NCL Sun (which I believe is the smallest ship in the fleet ?). I enjoyed the Grill Lounge, the separate Grill Deck on the QM2 plus the Nightclub and the planitarium.

I have a sneaking suspicion I may enjoy NCL more, from what I've read there is little to no formality which I may miss a little as I like getting dressed for dinner - it adds, not detracts in my opinion to the experience.

...We shall see though. My point is, there's no real 'right' or 'wrong' - you're not at home, you're not at work, how bad can it really be ? :D

We stayed in the balcony room(11002) adjoining the OS on the Sun in 2008. We also had the adjoining minisuite (11001). The balcony room was bigger than the minisuite IMO. If those are the suites you have, you will love them. We did get a tour of the OS from the people staying there and it was awesome. Hope you like NCL. I think the Sun may be my favorite yet (because of the rooms for one thing). I think you may find more formality than you think on NCL. People get dressed to the nines on formal night.

HONESTLY......

I don't care what anyone else thinks at this point. I have enough cruises under my belt to make my own decision concerning cruise lines. As it stands today, the cruise I had on the NCL Spirit in Oct 2011 was the best to date regardless of price which ranges from about $800pp(Carnival Triumph) to about $1500pp(Ruby Princess).

Wow Good for you

But honestly, after you have done your Celebrity and RCCL cruise your answer may change.

It MAY. If it does, more power to the cruise line that's my favorite! I'll be a good customer!

Kind of funny.... Folks said the same thing before we sailed on the Ruby Princess. Yeah, I had expectations. The ship, cabin, cabin steward....REALLY beyond reproach. Entertainment....so much better than a Carnival ship...night and day. The ball was dropped in the MDR.. Dress code before MDR service. Food in MDR was shooting for Commanders Palace and missed. Chili's would have been a better target and doable. Then there are intangibles that I can never really put my finger on them that are SO important to me during a cruise... Things like crew friendliness, passenger demographic, multiples spots to get a snack after being in port, stuffiness, going the extra mile, etc, etc. But when you add them up you realize you've been on a GREAT cruise!

I'm really looking forward to the Celebrity Summit! I'll have less $$ in it than the Ruby Princess out of FLL including airfare to both. I'm not crazy about Celebrity's dress code but I'll make it work!

I will be honest and say that I used to think NCL was lesser than RCCL and Carnival. I don't even know why I had that opinion...I guess I was just really unfamiliar with the whole freestyle thing. The more I read reviews and threads on here, the more I think it's very similar to the other lines. I'm really excited to sail on the Gem in June!

You are correct.

Our last 2 cruises were RCCL Majesty Of The Seas, and NCL Dawn. Both were very similar in just about every aspect. We give RCCL higher marks for dining because we prefer traditional dining over freestyle. However, we also give NCL extra credit for actually enforcing their dress code in the Venetian Dining Room, which RCCL did not do in their Starlight Dining Room.

We would sail either line again.

We stayed in the balcony room(11002) adjoining the OS on the Sun in 2008. We also had the adjoining minisuite (11001). The balcony room was bigger than the minisuite IMO. If those are the suites you have, you will love them. We did get a tour of the OS from the people staying there and it was awesome. Hope you like NCL. I think the Sun may be my favorite yet (because of the rooms for one thing). I think you may find more formality than you think on NCL. People get dressed to the nines on formal night.

We're in 1003, Mum's in 1002 (the adjoining balcony). We were toying with the idea of all going into 1003 but then thought that as there's a connecting door, why not book the cabin next door and turn the OS into a 2 bed ?

That way we both have nice comfy beds to sleep on at night. The connecting door will stay open so she can come and go as she pleases :)

Glad to hear there's some dressing up - it makes the evening more special imo to walk around dressed up and seeing other people doing the same. Cool - can't wait ! Thanks for you insight into the cabins, I'm sure Mum will be very happy with the arrangement !

Just adding my opinion...

I think 'better' is so subjective based on people's experiences (or lack of) and expectations when deciding on what cruiseline to cruise with. I have cruised with HAL, Princess, NCL, Carnival and Bermuda Star (no longer a company) over the last 30 years.

In my experience I have had poor room stewards, poor customer service, seen shorts in the formal MDR (on every line I have been on), poor entertainment, and not the best food; all of the complaints people have when cruising. BUT, I have also had really good to great things in all of the same categories.

In my opinion, cruising has changed over time, I believe you get what you pay for and certainly my tastes have changed. I am currently a newer NCL cruiser after experiencing the rest. So far the customer service has been the best I have seen in the industry; they seem to really listen to their customers.

Everyone is looking for something different so I think people need to do their own homework; there is a ton of information out there.

(I'll step down off of the soap box now.) :D:D:D

Happy cruising all!!!!

In my opinion, cruising has changed over time, I believe you get what you pay for and certainly my tastes have changed. I am currently a newer NCL cruiser after experiencing the rest. So far the customer service has been the best I have seen in the industry; they seem to really listen to their customers.

Although I have not experienced as many lines as you have, for what I have sailed thus far, I agree with you 100%.

Very good question. Here is another good question. Why does NCL have the lowest rated ships on CC? The lowest rated Carvival ship scores better than NCL's best rated ship.

You are really misquoting this so it's sort of a lie.

The list is 10 most popular. All of the ships are the newest in their fleets.

(Expect Breakaway and Getaway to be in the top 5 once built.)

RCL has the top 2 ships with a total of 22 ships in the fleet.

CCL has the next 2 ships with a total of 24 ships in the fleet.

NCL has Epic at 5 with a total of 11 ships in the fleet.

Your statement was the lowest rated CCL ship was listed better than Epic and that's NOT true, because that would mean CCL had position 3 through 25 and they don't.

We're in 1003, Mum's in 1002 (the adjoining balcony). We were toying with the idea of all going into 1003 but then thought that as there's a connecting door, why not book the cabin next door and turn the OS into a 2 bed ?

That way we both have nice comfy beds to sleep on at night. The connecting door will stay open so she can come and go as she pleases :)

Glad to hear there's some dressing up - it makes the evening more special imo to walk around dressed up and seeing other people doing the same. Cool - can't wait ! Thanks for you insight into the cabins, I'm sure Mum will be very happy with the arrangement !

1002 was the room we put our daughters in (since it was a balcony and ours was a minisuite), but theirs was bigger!! We had the nicer bathroom with a bathtub, but they had a little bump-out area in their room for the desk area and had a sofa plus 2 chairs in "living area". It was definitely the biggest balcony room we have had. If I can find pictures of it, I will post them.

We have sailed mostly on NCL Both East and West coast but we do not like freestyle dinning; So every chance we get for a 10-14 day cruise we choose Hal: This year we are thinking back to NCL on the Breakaway just to try a huge ship: but again we are looking at NCL Sun (11 days) just because we haven't been to Curacao: We are an older couple and noisey party life can be a bit overwelming. I guess I think of Carnival as 'Walmart" NCL as "Sears" Celebrity as JC Penny and HAL as MACYS: aNYTHING ABOVE THAT IS ABOVE OUR PRICE RANGE: But... any cruise especially getting us out of Maine in cold weather months is better than no cruise and we do love a cruising vacation;) Just my opinion:khc

I can't believe it- a fellow Piscataquis County CC poster! I am from Sebec originally.

I noticed lots of people here had experiences with TA's trying to steer them away from NCL. Our first NCL cruise was the Texaribbean on the Dream out of Houston. I had picked it out, done the research here on CC, went to the TA and she was very dismissive of my choice and booked it under protest. It was a GREAT time. I picked a different travel agency the next year, and I absolutely love my TA. She is a very experienced cruiser on all lines, and takes a couple of cruises a year so she is current on the situation on the ships. She watches the prices like a hawk and has saved me far more than I could have done myself. If there's a problem, she takes care if it. Etc etc.

She says that one cruise line dies not fit all. I considered Celebrity for our 2014 cruise and she said that while she and her husband love Celebrity, I should stick with NCL or RCI until we don't have a teenager cruising with us. When I went online and saw video from the new Celebrity Reflection, I saw that it is beautiful but doesn't have the vibe that we enjoy as a family.

I am not sure that the store analogy works. We shop lots of places and we are looking for value for money, not the cheapest price.

Archived