Why do other loyal CC'rs act as if NCL is economy class?

NH Cruisers

I'd rather NOT cruise with people like that. I realize I'm throwing most of my extended family under the bus here but the more "casualness" of NCL is the ONLY reason why I decided to go on a cruise. I turned down a family cruise to Alaska because I was just not on board (no pun intended) with the structure and "formal nights." They love that kind of thing, I hate it. Call me a fool for passing on a free Alaskan cruise, but I did! I will go on my own dime on an NCL ship and have a much better time!

P.S. Yes, I am the black sheep in a very stuffy, white collar family. :p

Jon,

As the proud granddaughter (OTHER side of the family than the one I was ragging on) of a retired 3 star general in the Air Force, thanks for your service! My Grandpa will be 93 Feb. 21st and said he'd consider going on an Alaskan cruise (he and my beloved late Grandmother took one in Australia decades ago and weren't really wild about it) which I really, really hope we will be able to do. It's amazing how time flies...

DUde if you wear shorts for dinner cool

What a man wears is his own choice.

I wont wear shorts in the MDR even on NCL

Maybe it was they way I was raised or my Military background. Each to their own.

Since you have only sailed on NCL you may be on vacation but certain cruiselines dont allow them

Celebrity, Princess besides HAL have dress code that doesnt allow certain clothes in the MDR.

While I commend NCL on its freestyle concept it also started the dumming down of attire on the mass market cruiselines.

BTW I am booked on the Epic again so I guess it doesnt bother me that much

Im sorry any cruisline that allows people to wear shorts in the MDR is a below Celebrity and Princess

Ncl is on par with CCL but I still think it is a step below Rccl as well

Since I've cruised all the lines you've mentioned and a few you didn't, I'd disagree. Princess was my 2nd to the least favorite, with HAL taking top honors of being at the bottom. My personal ranking of cruise lines doesn't have anything to do with dress codes - more of how you're treated. IMO, none have treated us better than NCL. Celebrity is our 2nd favorite.

A lot of people get off on looking down on someone or something else. There are a lot of people who cruise who use that to feel rich for a week every year. Lot of people who cruise get off on treating the crew like servants. These are people I feel sorry for, but it is their whatever.

Different strokes for different folks. I have heard the same thing about NCL, even from a close friend and it runs off my back. We have had a lot of first class hotel stays, first class flights, etc. etc, and we cruise nothing but NCL. Are taking #6 in Nov of this year and planning #7 for 2014. We've done balconies, mini suites, and penthouse suites. All are great, depending on what you want for whatever trip. IMHO, the loyalty program and the suite perks are best in the business. The value for cruising in Europe is fantastic.

If you enjoy something else, that is fine, but don't put the rest of us down if you don't mind.

On the NCL ships I have cruised, shorts are allowed in one dining room but not the other.

To those who judge people by what they wear, remember Sam Walton wore levis and drove an old pickup.

I have over 40 NCL cruises under my belt and find them very suitable. I have also cruised most of the other mainstream lines and don't find much difference in any of them with one glaring exception. Some sell you the PERCEPTION of quality. Note --- I didn't say they sell you quality. They just try to make you think you are getting something better and usually make you pay more because of it.

Old money, new money who cares. After you both flush, it smells the same and ends up at the same place. Get on your Cruise line of your choice and have a great time, enjoy yourselves, life's to short to worry about the trivial things in life. In fact, next cruise you're on, drop your knickers... give your behind a slap as everyone is waving goodbye and I guarantee you'll be the hit of their day, no matter how old their money is !!

cheers...the Ump...:D

ps If I offended anyone with those comments, sorry, now go slap your behind and have a drink on me ;).

No, I am saying you and I might measure class by different means. You could dress a scoundrel up in a tux now can't you?

There are probably more "scoundrel" millionaires about than any other type of "scoundrel".

Money does not maketh the man.

In my book, clothes maketh the man.

You do not need money to have class or gain respect. Nor does money = class. Quite the opposite actually. Very wealthy people are often extremely crass and lacking in class.

OK two weeks ago, I could not have weighed in on this conversation or given an opinion.

But because NCL did not offer the itinerary I wanted I had to start researching other lines and spending some time on other boards.

And the only thing I can say IMO why other boards do this with NCL is because they are uppety and think NCL is beneath them.

In spending time on the other boards, the only board I found similar to NCL in peoples attitudes was Carnival.

When I first went to the other boards (hadn't been to Carnival board then), the only thing I wanted to do after spending a couple of days there was to run back to the NCL board and to not research any further :(

Che - You are very brave. I have never ventured to the unknown of the other cruiseline boards. :eek:

camz it was out of necessity, as i said I wanted a cruise soon and wanted someplace I could drive to (cheaper than flight). And NCL does not offer the north eastern seaboard until Sept brrrrr, too cold for my liking

camz it was out of necessity, as i said I wanted a cruise soon and wanted someplace I could drive to (cheaper than flight). And NCL does not offer the north eastern seaboard until Sept brrrrr, too cold for my liking

Che - I totally understand your reasoning. You are still brave none-the-less. ;)

I've only been on NCL so far. we do plan on trying other lines later but are very happy with NCL.

I'm on vacation and I want to be comfortable. I also want to eat when I want. I want to see happy smiling workers. NCL has shown me all of that. If you want to dress up or eat at a certain time you can do that with NCL as well.

Che - I totally understand your reasoning. You are still brave none-the-less. ;)

Well one time I made a statement on here that I wasn't leaving NCL until I had did all the itineraries and ships I wanted to do, then maybe I would venture out. I also said "but never say never"

I'm now eating my words LOL

It really helped after a couple of days on the Carnival board I started to see a couple of familiar faces (or in this case screen names). It helped me not to feel so alone over there.

There are trash talkers in all forums, unfortunately cruising is no different. :(

That is very true. If they are reporting on a true experience, fine, but otherwise, it's usually just due to insecurity. Whether its a cruise line or these message boards, people get in a comfort zone and for some reason, they feel the need to feed their own insecurities by slamming the others.

By the way, I've read all the boards for many years now. They all have their good and bad days. NCL is no different and there are plenty of people here who label other cruise lines with derogatory slurs.

From Norwegian site:

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

Your experience may vary...based on the latitude (pun intended) of the MDR hostess.

As far as my opinion... I have reached a point in life where I no longer have an obligation to impress anyone. :p

When I cruise, I am on vacation... and I am there to relax. I will observe all cruise line's dress codes... but I truly have no need nor desire to exceed them. :cool:

That is very true. If they are reporting on a true experience, fine, but otherwise, it's usually just due to insecurity. Whether its a cruise line or these message boards, people get in a comfort zone and for some reason, they feel the need to feed their own insecurities by slamming the others.

By the way, I've read all the boards for many years now. They all have their good and bad days. NCL is no different and there are plenty of people here who label other cruise lines with derogatory slurs.

Well said...... :D

Congrats on the 49s win today! I am a NY Giants fan but since they fell apart at the end of the season, I was routing for the 49s today. :D

Thanks I thought we would be playing you guys

Jon,

As the proud granddaughter (OTHER side of the family than the one I was ragging on) of a retired 3 star general in the Air Force, thanks for your service! My Grandpa will be 93 Feb. 21st and said he'd consider going on an Alaskan cruise (he and my beloved late Grandmother took one in Australia decades ago and weren't really wild about it) which I really, really hope we will be able to do. It's amazing how time flies...

Thank you....... I salute your Grandfather Hope he makes it to ALaska

My Grandfather was a retired Navy Captain. He was always wanting to go to Alaska . Next time we go might have to take some of his ashes:o

Im sorry any cruisline that allows people to wear shorts in the MDR is a below Celebrity and Princess

Ncl is on par with CCL but I still think it is a step below Rccl as well

Just off RCCL's Allure. Folks in jeans and T-shirts were welcome in the main dining room on FORMAL night. I also had an experience on RCCL's Oasis in 150 Central Park which is their most elegant dining venue on the ship where I saw a couple in shorts and flip flops. I do believe we have NCL to thank for easing the dress code up and the other cruise lines are following their lead. It's been a while since we cruised HAL so I don't know if that line has eased up on their dress code but I have sailed on Celebrity recently. Celebrity is going much more casual these days, even on formal nights.

I have sailed a few different cruise lines. I liked all of them. I do have my favorites (lines and Ships). To me the cruise lines are a lot more similar than different. I read on these boards how Celebrity, Princess and HAL are premium lines. RCCL, Carnival and NCL are mass market. They are all mass market IMO. I been on all those stated. I liked them all, and truth be told I like the RCCL ships most. I liked Celebrity's Aqua class Blu resturant main dinning the best. But NCL, they are the cruise line of specialty dinning. You can't beat them. Also they are so friendly. The other lines I like too, but I love eating and having fun. NCL has me for now. Why do folks on the other CC boards have no respect for NCL? I feel they have an excellent product. I just needed to vent, seeing all the negativity toward NCL and all. I can't wait to sail on a Breakaway class ship in the future.

Jon

Very good question. Here is another good question. Why does NCL have the lowest rated ships on CC? The lowest rated Carvival ship scores better than NCL's best rated ship.

People openly tell me how bad NCL is and when I chime in, they say "go to cruise critic and read for yourself"

I sort of disagree with the majority of this thread. I dont think it has anything to do with dress code. People are on vacation to have FUN. Stop worrying what everyone else is wearing.

Since I've cruised all the lines you've mentioned and a few you didn't, I'd disagree. Princess was my 2nd to the least favorite, with HAL taking top honors of being at the bottom. My personal ranking of cruise lines doesn't have anything to do with dress codes - more of how you're treated. IMO, none have treated us better than NCL. Celebrity is our 2nd favorite.

Looking at your signature It loks like we have been on the same cruislines Besides Ive also sailed the Conquest and the Mariner

This is how people have different opinions I think the best service I ever had was on Celebrity Infinity and the worst was on NCL POA

I liked the service on the Epic except for the MDR which on NCL both cruises is the worst I have ever experinced in all my cruises on any cruisline

ALso our room stewards on both NCL cruise were the worst we have had

But I will say the crew is friendly on NCL

Princess used to be as good as Celebrity but It has gone down since CCL bought them. They also went to a low cal Blue cheese dresing :confused:

I liked HAL and great service but the ship shuts down after 9pm so we wont cruise with them again for a few more years

I think RCCL is right in the middle with service and quality of cruise. They also have the best loyalty program at sea.

I grew up on Carnival but have slowly transitioned to other cruislines over the years.

I have had some great service but over the last 5 years it has been slipping.

Their customer service has really gone down from the corporate side. I still have had great MDR/stewards

Ncl I put on the same level as Carnival based on my experiences from the past year where we did 2 NCL, 2CCL and 2 RCCL.

Besides the other 30+ cruises over 6 cruiselines

It is a good product but not as good as some others

I go on RCCl. NCL and CCL boards and voice my opinions whether they are good or bad they are MY OPINIONS.

I apologize if some take it personal but that isnt my intention

I have never had a bad cruise on any cruiseline but have had some bad experiences. And I will share them on CC.

Isnt that what CC it is for

BTW We chose to do the Epic for our first TA do to all the entertainment and dining options. Not because we thought it was the best ship or cruiseline.

Very good question. Here is another good question. Why does NCL have the lowest rated ships on CC? The lowest rated Carvival ship scores better than NCL's best rated ship.

People openly tell me how bad NCL is and when I chime in, they say "go to cruise critic and read for yourself"

I sort of disagree with the majority of this thread. I dont think it has anything to do with dress code. People are on vacation to have FUN. Stop worrying what everyone else is wearing.

Not sure NCL ships are rated the lowest. Epic is ranked #5 on CC of the top 10 ships.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1421

Archived