Why do other loyal CC'rs act as if NCL is economy class?

NH Cruisers

Sailing into Black Falcon pier at the crack of dawn this summer I was on-deck as we crept past " The World " already docked in Boston .

Although she was a beautiful ship , " The Dream of a Lifetime " for a few , chock full of class, I must say she just does not look like much fun .

I for one have fun on NCL .

All I can say is anyone who thinks NCL is "economy" class has never been in the Haven. I will never try to convince someone to cruise NCL, I like that everyone we cruise with is there for the "freestyle" and does not frown on my $300 jeans with holes on them.

Jon,

We've cruised on RCCL, Celebrity, and NCL and I would say that all of them are mass-market cruise lines that offer slightly different options. We preferred Celebrity over RCCL by a mile, but the past couple years we've moved over to NCL due to our family expansion (2 DD's). We just couldn't afford to cruise Celebrity any longer after needing/wanting more than 150 sq ft. NCL hooked us with their suite life! While NCL's suite perks and customer loyalty programs are better, the butler we had on Celebrity for our honeymoon was much better than the NCL butler we've had (twice on the Dawn to BDA) by leaps and bounds. We still find ourselves talking about his amazing service almost 5.5 years later!

The specialty dining options on Celebrity had better quality food, but NCL has far more dining venues to choose from. Don't get me wrong, the food is very good on most of NCL's specialty restaurants (except La Cucina, it's a horrible attempt at Italian cuisine).

I think of Carnival as the "Walmart" of cruises. Take it for what its worth - we haven't cruised with them (probably never will).

i have sailed on carnival many more times than ncl but i love too cruise on them both. what others think of them is their own opinion that i choose too ignore. financially i can have a wonderful time on either of these cruise lines and feel i had the best cruise that ranks right up with the '' other '' cruise lines. as said above--too each his own.

Some people stay with a line because that's what they're comfortable with. We'll be branching out over the next couple of years (RCI and Princess when the new itineraries come out), but if Carnival were that marvelous, we'd have no reason to change. For my cruise dollars, I want to make sure we're not missing out on something amazing.

Of course , how can you really decide without trying new things .

Even Gilligan and the Skipper had mostly great cruises ;)

Can you imagine if we all liked the same cruise line :eek:

I'll throw my proverbial .5 cents in now.

We have cruised exclusively with Celebrity since our first in 2004, total of 10. We love Celebrity for several reasons. It is a great line with great service, we've built up some good points for some pretty good perks and we are very comfortable with the whole Celebrity line. Sure, we've had issues, problems etc but not bad at all.

We have booked the Gem out of NYC for March 4, 2013. Why?? In the past we've always cruised alone (my wife and I). We have always met people on board, great people, some of whom we've cruised with again. I guess I should add we are pretty sociable outgoing people.

In November of 2011 while on the Celebrity Silhouette we met a couple that we had lots and lots of fun with. We've stayed in touch and they asked us to come on this cruise with them. We were a little apprehensive but I too lurk around other boards than my usual (i.e. this one) and I like what I read. We are going with an open mind. We're thrilled to be trying another line that we wouldn't have tried without a push from our friends. Plus, my wife has convinced one of her co workers and a friend of his to also come with us. The more the merrier.

So, we are excited about having an "entourage", lol, BEFORE we get on the ship and looking forward to all kinds of fun. Really looking forward to all the dining venues on the GEM.

So, even I am asking myself "What is the point of this post?" LOL, I think people get comfortable with a certain line and tend to stick with it. Certainly that was our situation. But, with an opportunity to try a new line with people we know we'll have fun with, "LETS GO!"

Maybe I"ll even post a review when we return??;)

One final thought; one thing that really swayed me about NCL were the numbers of posters on these boards who say how friend the crew is from top to bottom. That is huge for us and I hope it is what we find.

Wish us luck...................what my Patriots lacked last night:rolleyes:

You get a Gold Star for attitude .. :D

So, even I am asking myself "What is the point of this post?" LOL, I think people get comfortable with a certain line and tend to stick with it. Certainly that was our situation. But, with an opportunity to try a new line with people we know we'll have fun with, "LETS GO!"

One final thought; one thing that really swayed me about NCL were the numbers of posters on these boards who say how friend the crew is from top to bottom. That is huge for us and I hope it is what we find.

How appropriate that you choose "LETS GO!" That just happens to be the title of NCL's theme song. :D

LOVE your outlook, and am fairly certain you're going to very much enjoy your first experience on NCL. The staff are indeed as friendly as you have heard. I sincerely hope you write a review when you return.

Only in the aft MDR

NCL FAQ

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days.

The Freestyle daily goes into a little more detail:

Dress code: Dinner in Le Bistro and Grand Pacific (aft main dining room) is Smart Casual - collared shirts and pants or nice jeans with closed-toed shoes for men. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. No baseball caps or visors. (Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition.

All other restaurants: Cruise Casual - Khakis, jeans, shorts, casual shorts for men (no tank tops). Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts, or pants and tops, summer dresses. Capri pants, shorts jeans.

On the Gem they allowed/ignored tank tops in the buffet which I think is disgusting. The buffet is a restaurant, yes? :rolleyes:

While it's subjective that I prefer NCL's overall product. What is not subjective nor opinion is that Carnival Fascination in Nov had a dirty ventilation system the caused myself and others to have itchy eyes and coughing/sneezing. On Caribbean Princess Oct there were fruit flies on buffet food which was blatantly ignored, in cabin halls, and in the atrium and cafe landing on my food as well as their fleet having the most norovirus 3%+ outbreaks in 2012. While I understand why some people prefer these two lines as a matter of personal taste - ship cleanliness is not one of them in my book.

Jon,

The specialty dining options on Celebrity had better quality food, but NCL has far more dining venues to choose from. Don't get me wrong, the food is very good on most of NCL's specialty restaurants (except La Cucina, it's a horrible attempt at Italian cuisine).

I think of Carnival as the "Walmart" of cruises. Take it for what its worth - we haven't cruised with them (probably never will).

Our best dining experience at sea ever was on Celebrity in their steakhouse. I also agree with all the dining choice onboard NCL, one of the main reasons, we will cruise on her for a TA.

But your comment about Carnval is what I believe the OP was saying. That people who dont even cruise on a paticular cruisline put it down.

While I will say CCL isnt the best cruiseline out there, maybe you should try it, before you say it is inferior thou.

When I comment on a cruiseline, it isnt heresay, it is my own experiences.

BTW Carnival does alot of good things and you might be surprised;)

Just done book a suite and expect a butler or concierge

We have cruised exclusively with Celebrity since our first in 2004, total of 10. We love Celebrity for several reasons. It is a great line with great service, we've built up some good points for some pretty good perks and we are very comfortable with the whole Celebrity line. Sure, we've had issues, problems etc but not bad at all.

We have booked the Gem out of NYC for March 4, 2013. Why?? In the past we've always cruised alone (my wife and I). We have always met people on board, great people, some of whom we've cruised with again. I guess I should add we are pretty sociable outgoing people.

In November of 2011 while on the Celebrity Silhouette we met a couple that we had lots and lots of fun with. We've stayed in touch and they asked us to come on this cruise with them. We were a little apprehensive but I too lurk around other boards than my usual (i.e. this one) and I like what I read. We are going with an open mind. We're thrilled to be trying another line that we wouldn't have tried without a push from our friends. Plus, my wife has convinced one of her co workers and a friend of his to also come with us. The more the merrier.

So, we are excited about having an "entourage", lol, BEFORE we get on the ship and looking forward to all kinds of fun. Really looking forward to all the dining venues on the GEM.

every cruise will have a hick-up or 2. that is too be expected. but with your positive attitude and interest too try ncl im sure you will have a wonderful time. i for one cant get over how much emphisis is put on '' which cruise line has the best food ? ''. when i am on a cruise and i dont have too cook or clean up the mess and i actually get waited on that is the last thing i worry about. no one that i know of has ever starved on a cruise. if they did '' shame on them ''. have a wonderful time and please let us know how the cruise was.. :)

I've cruised on Carnival, Princess and NCL. Next month I will cruise on the Epic. My first cruise was on Carnival and it was probably my favorite as it was my first. No expectations, therefor everything was great! My next cruises were with Princess and NCL. I think as you gain "experience", it is natural to compare, so that you can make more educated choices for yourself for future cruises. I think each line has it's pluses and minuses, just as ships/crews within a line can vary. We chose NCL this time for a few reasons: - wanting to try a mega ship, - I enjoy the food on NCL (my last Princess experience, not so much), - variety of entertainment. (my last Princess cruise was very limited in entertainment and after 9:00 pm, seemed like everyone went to sleep!). For me, the biggest negative to NCL is the size of the stateroom, standard balcony cabins are larger on other lines. Not really a biggie, I don't spend that much time in my cabin. If you look for the bad, you will find it.

No cooking, cleaning, being waited on for 7 days! How bad can that be?!

I have sailed a few different cruise lines. I liked all of them. I do have my favorites (lines and Ships). To me the cruise lines are a lot more similar than different. I read on these boards how Celebrity, Princess and HAL are premium lines. RCCL, Carnival and NCL are mass market. They are all mass market IMO. I been on all those stated. I liked them all, and truth be told I like the RCCL ships most. I liked Celebrity's Aqua class Blu resturant main dinning the best. But NCL, they are the cruise line of specialty dinning. You can't beat them. Also they are so friendly. The other lines I like too, but I love eating and having fun. NCL has me for now. Why do folks on the other CC boards have no respect for NCL? I feel they have an excellent product. I just needed to vent, seeing all the negativity toward NCL and all. I can't wait to sail on a Breakaway class ship in the future.

Jon

Jon, I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents. I think the main reason is the cost. I sailed NCL on a 7 night cruise in an AFT balcony cabin for $799 pp. I sailed Celebrity on a 12 night cruise in a Concierge Class cabin for $2600 pp and I sailed a HAL 7 night cruisein a regular balcony cabin for $2750 pp. Now you tell me what cruiseline I'm going to think of as BUDGET:confused:

Jon, I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents. I think the main reason is the cost. I sailed NCL on a 7 night cruise in an AFT balcony cabin for $799 pp. I sailed Celebrity on a 12 night cruise in a Concierge Class cabin for $2600 pp and I sailed a HAL 7 night cruisein a regular balcony cabin for $2750 pp. Now you tell me what cruiseline I'm going to think of as BUDGET:confused:

Your HAL cruise cost almost 3-1/2 times what your NCL cruise cost. Do you feel like you enjoyed HAL 3-1/2 times more than NCL? I'm just curious.

I have sailed a few different cruise lines. I liked all of them. I do have my favorites (lines and Ships). To me the cruise lines are a lot more similar than different. I read on these boards how Celebrity, Princess and HAL are premium lines. RCCL, Carnival and NCL are mass market. They are all mass market IMO. I been on all those stated. I liked them all, and truth be told I like the RCCL ships most. I liked Celebrity's Aqua class Blu resturant main dinning the best. But NCL, they are the cruise line of specialty dinning. You can't beat them. Also they are so friendly. The other lines I like too, but I love eating and having fun. NCL has me for now. Why do folks on the other CC boards have no respect for NCL? I feel they have an excellent product. I just needed to vent, seeing all the negativity toward NCL and all. I can't wait to sail on a Breakaway class ship in the future.

Jon

I don't think this is as true as in years past and NCL seems to be getting more positve reviesa and comments. There are a few lines that have passengers that are so loyal they find it almost impossible to praise any other line: two of these are Celebrity and Princess. of course I am generalizing, but these two lines do feel theire line of choice is just a step above any other. I like to calll them cruise snobs, but I guess that isn't very nice. Those who cruise Carnival and RCI are not quite the same and HAL seems to have a totally different type of cruiser. They are more mature, more subdued and maybe even slightly better mannered..LOL

I don't think this is as true as in years past and NCL seems to be getting more positve reviesa and comments. There are a few lines that have passengers that are so loyal they find it almost impossible to praise any other line: two of these are Celebrity and Princess. of course I am generalizing, but these two lines do feel theire line of choice is just a step above any other. I like to calll them cruise snobs, but I guess that isn't very nice. Those who cruise Carnival and RCI are not quite the same and HAL seems to have a totally different type of cruiser. They are more mature, more subdued and maybe even slightly better mannered..LOL

Oh Nita I definately wouldn't go that far, spent a little time on that board, in the last couple of weeks and well mannered is not quite the words I would have use. There are a couple of words, I would probably use those aren't the ones ;)

Very valid point

There are probably more "scoundrel" millionaires about than any other type of "scoundrel".

Money does not maketh the man.

In my book, clothes maketh the man.

You do not need money to have class or gain respect. Nor does money = class. Quite the opposite actually. Very wealthy people are often extremely crass and lacking in class.

I agree with you actually. When I said dress a scoundrel in a tux, I said nothing about money.

Very valid point

IDK...What some call "budget" others call "a great deal".

I think NCL fits into the "great deal" category.

We have sailed in suites on NCL for less than the standard balcony price quoted here - a "great deal" for us! While NCL's suite experience is top notch, we spend enough time about in the rest of ship and I don't find it "budget" at all...

I think this is pretty similar to purchasing a car- comparably equipped vehicles can command a very different price and I think a lot of times just because things cost more they are viewed as being more valuable or better when in actuality they really aren't that different. I (a hyundai driver) can not convince my husband of this (a luxury brand car driver) no matter how hard I try!

Anyway, I will stick with NCL and enjoy the heck out of my "budget" cruises :D

Im sorry any cruisline that allows people to wear shorts in the MDR is a below Celebrity and Princess

Ncl is on par with CCL but I still think it is a step below Rccl as well

I just got off the Celebrity Constellation this morning and couldn't believe how many people had on shorts and T-shirts last night in the San Marco Dining Room at the early seating.

Our best dining experience at sea ever was on Celebrity in their steakhouse. I also agree with all the dining choice onboard NCL, one of the main reasons, we will cruise on her for a TA.

But your comment about Carnval is what I believe the OP was saying. That people who dont even cruise on a paticular cruisline put it down.

While I will say CCL isnt the best cruiseline out there, maybe you should try it, before you say it is inferior thou.

Still to this day our fav. MDR food was on a Carnival ship. Auqa Class Blu on Celebrity Solstice is not a MDR but is for Auqa Class guests and that was our favorite everyday dinning room on any cruise.

My first Carnival cruise was a weekend one on Ecstacy. It was not good. The proverbial needle was my mom ordering her favorite, eggs benedict. What she got was a crusty mess, to which she replied, "I've had better egg mcmuffins!"

We said never again.

Circumstances led us to the Paradise in 2011. We lowered our expectations and ended up VERY surprised how nice it was. No, it wasn't the NCL suite life, but we were comfortable, met great crew and enjoyed "The Chef's Table" which was great.

Not counting the Chef's Table, my other remarkable meal at sea was in The Normandie on Celebrity Summit. Wow. It was exquisite.

But, I love the ease and variety of dining on NCL. And I love having the butler bring it to my suite.

No, Carnival and Royal aren't my first choice, by a mile. But, I could cruise either and have fun, because I can adjust my expectations and I am a positive and upbeat person.

Why do you care what others are wearing? I never did understand that. I also don't understand how that can make a cruise line "below" others. We have sailed all of these lines, and enjoy them all. They each have something that we enjoyed more than other lines... On Celebrity it was the food quality, On Royal the Ships them selves were more inovative and more active, on Princess we like the MUTS at night with popcorn, On Carnival when we were younger we liked the "party" style... On NCl we like that the overall experience most fits our style... We enjoy the "freestyle" concept (while you can kinda get it by doing anytime dining on other lines- NCL just excels at it) and we really love the suites and the service that comes with them. For now, that has us coming back to NCL if they have an itenarary that we are interested in- if not- we look to other lines too.

You are so right. Each has its special qualities to like. And I agree with the OP that all six mentioned were mass cruise lines. I'd add to what you said that HAL has excellent cultural talks and the culinary institute.

I found the RCCL ship we sailed on to be one of my favorites as far as the ship went and Celebrity the best for food, RCCL the worst...strange as they are the same company. NCL does have something for everyone and competitive prices. We love the laid back style but DH has always had to put on long pants for dinner. I don't know where that poster had the experience of everyone wearing shorts; only time we've had it is on first night. One dining room usually has a higher dress code than others and perhaps it varies ship to ship. I have found I hated the set dinner time which keeps you from doing all the activities you'd like to do.

I just got off the Celebrity Constellation this morning and couldn't believe how many people had on shorts and T-shirts last night in the San Marco Dining Room at the early seating.

Wow Really:confused: I guess I need to take back what I originally said. I am surprised

Still to this day our fav. MDR food was on a Carnival ship. Auqa Class Blu on Celebrity Solstice is not a MDR but is for Auqa Class guests and that was our favorite everyday dinning room on any cruise.

We havnt done Solstice class yet But looking forward to it. I have heard great things

Archived