What wouldn't you miss doing or asking for?

Laylam

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice from seasoned Seabourn cruisers. We are very new to cruising. Our first cruise was on Seabourn Spirit June 2012 and we LOVED it. Our time aboard was more than we could have hoped for and we NEVER felt we were missing anything.

However, since joining Cruise Critic I realise that we did....e.g. the Galley Lunch, how to order special dishes (not that the need arose), the 'tricks' to getting a reservation at Restaurant 2, the advantages of making a reservation for a future cruise while onboard etc., etc..

I am sure this information was probably in the 'Herald' which we received daily, but as it was a Port intensive cruise, I never got around to reading it.

We are on the Seabourn Sojourn Feb 18th, what should we be sure not to miss? (We have been kicking ourselves ever since hearing about Seabourn's Galley lunches).

As long as you enjoyed your cruise again. Put a deposit down on future cruise, this give you an extra 5 pc discount on your next cruise. You do not have to book a particular cruise but can take an open booking.If you change your mind you can always get your deposit back.I always do this:)

Actually many of the things you mentioned are not usually printed in the Herald. I learned about many of these things over time from other seasoned Seabourn passengers and now I try to pass on tips to newbies when I am on board( or on this board). Something you did not mention is "Shopping with the chef". I usually go straight to the reception desk when I board to find out if there will be such an excursion, when it is and if we don't have other plans for that day we sign up then and there. If you wait it may be too late as it is very popular. On our last cruise I mentioned it to a couple of people who came up to me later to tell me how much they enjoyed it and to thank me for giving them the heads up about it.

Oh, and then there are the "secret berries"....

Well a few years ago I noticed that they rarely had berries amongst all of the other fruit available on the Verandah's breakfast buffet. Or if there were any there were just strawberries. So I asked the waiter behind the counter, "Do you have any berries?," and he bent down and promptly stood up with a bowl of blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. From what I gather, people were just randomly piling berries into their bowls and most were going to waste. So I guess they decided that if you asked for them you were more likely to eat them and not waste them. Thus I now go up ask for a bowl of "secret berries" and we all have a good laugh. On occasion when I have caught a new waiter off guard who is unaware of the secret stash he just looks at me with a blank stare when I make my request. Luckily there has usually been someone in the know nearby who fills him in and I get my berries.

Take binoculars on your next trip, you may see whales and dolphins etc.

I also worry about missing out on events on board and try to do everything. The problem with that is that I end up missing out on good old R&R. Just relax and enjoy yourselves like you did on your first cruise.

And lastly, don't miss out on the Muster Drill or none of the above will happen.

There does seem to be some things not mentioned in the daily press.

We loved the caviar which we ordered several times, but we only knew about it from others that had cruised Seabourn before. It was not advertised, but could be ordered 24/7 through room service - Guess you had to know about it as it was not in the menu.

Also, if you are so inclined, you can request to be seated at a hosted table. You can do this through the front desk. We did not request this, however were invited to a couple and some of the other guests had actually requested it. It was a nice change and a great way to hear about the staff side of things.

Though broadly discussed on the boards, another thing I was glad to know was that you don't have to stick with the daily recommended wines. They have all of the house wines available in each venue (usually), so you can request whichever is your favourite.

On our November cruise, the chef was happy to take people shopping, though few requested it - he took one or two couples out with him. They aim to please, so if you want to go, ask him/her yourself.

Have a ball and ask for whatever you want.... If it is possible, I think they will try and accommodate you.

PS. For any first time cruisers, make sure you look into the first cruise referral coupons. You only get one crack at getting them. There is a special STICKY on this board about them.

:D:D:D

Shopping with the chef takes place in many ports. We have been shopping in Livorno,Panama City, Palma de Mallorca, Barcelona, Bridgetown and Bergen among others.

Another thing that I would not "miss" that out on, which is course is never publicized, is donating to the crew fund. After all of the wonderful things the hard working crew does to make each cruise memorable we feel it is the least we can do.

Thank you brucory & Chairsin for these great "insider tips"

..... We loved the caviar which we ordered several times, but we only knew about it from others that had cruised Seabourn before. It was not advertised, but could be ordered 24/7 through room service - Guess you had to know about it as it was not in the menu.

YAY!! Actually, that is the ONLY time I felt we were missing something, when I spotted someone eating caviar at the bar on the upper deck.

Originally Posted by Chairsin -We have been shopping in Livorno,Panama City, Palma de Mallorca, Barcelona, Bridgetown and Bergen among others.

WOW!! What great experiences! I should have been more specific. We will be on the Sojourn, sailing from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Does anyone know when/where the Chef shops on this route?

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice from seasoned Seabourn cruisers. We are very new to cruising. Our first cruise was on Seabourn Spirit June 2012 and we LOVED it. Our time aboard was more than we could have hoped for and we NEVER felt we were missing anything.

However, since joining Cruise Critic I realise that we did....e.g. the Galley Lunch, how to order special dishes (not that the need arose), the 'tricks' to getting a reservation at Restaurant 2, the advantages of making a reservation for a future cruise while onboard etc., etc..

I am sure this information was probably in the 'Herald' which we received daily, but as it was a Port intensive cruise, I never got around to reading it.

We are on the Seabourn Sojourn Feb 18th, what should we be sure not to miss? (We have been kicking ourselves ever since hearing about Seabourn's Galley lunches).

Onion rings, table side steak Diane (Id opt out of the on menu version), crepes Suzette, steak tartar.

Laylam - I find at dinner in the dining room the menu now only lists 3 courses - however, we often order four; an hors d'oeuvre, soup or a salad and a main (sometimes no dessert, not our favourite). Also, if there is a good choice of mains, say lobster or scallops and also a good meat dish, ask for a starter portion of the seafood or fish as a second course before the main. Never a problem for the staff or, I think, the galley. Probably not so easy if you are dining with a group who only have three courses in total. And of course we have some white wine to start, then red with the main if it is meat.

When you are new to Seabourn you do tend to just stick with what is obviously on offer; we used to, but it is truly quite easy to chop and change the menu around without feeling that you are causing problems.

Thank you baychilla and lincslady.

Originally posted by lincslady - Also, if there is a good choice of mains, say lobster or scallops and also a good meat dish, ask for a starter portion of the seafood or fish as a second course before the main. Never a problem for the staff or, I think, the galley. Probably not so easy if you are dining with a group who only have three courses in total

That's a great tip, it is always a dilemna when you are "spoiled for choice".

I also recommend the Shopping with the Chef! We had a wonderful experience in Split, Croatia last summer (I wrote about it in detail on my blog - see Spirit link below). We ended up at the Fish Market, and my kids are still talking about it.

The onion rings? I had thought, "How can onion rings be so good?"... well, they can! We ordered them on the last day for lunch and the staff teased me about getting them. I wrote that story in the blog post to. I can say though, they are some of the best ever!

I have found that if you are ever even remotely wondering if something is possible, ask. Most times what you want you will receive.

And thanks for the berry tip! I'll be using that one on my next voyage (as yet unplanned... but hoping for Caribbean next December)

Shopping with the Chef!! We visited the fish market in Split, Croatia. The lady in the center shot was from Spain, and actually helped the chef bargain the price. Amazing to watch! The Chef had a price nearly agreed on and she threw her hands out and exclaimed "No!! Too much money!" and proceeded to reduce the price deal. So fun to watch.

i-cHqVdKc-M.jpg

Shopping with the Chef!! We visited the fish market in Split, Croatia. The lady in the center shot was from Spain, and actually helped the chef bargain the price. Amazing to watch! The Chef had a price nearly agreed on and she threw her hands out and exclaimed "No!! Too much money!" and proceeded to reduce the price deal. So fun to watch.

i-cHqVdKc-M.jpg

Somehow I forgot shopping with the chef. I signed up for this as soon as I boarded. Also don't forget to spend time just relaxing and enjoying your vacation.

I also recommend the Shopping with the Chef! We had a wonderful experience in Split, Croatia last summer (I wrote about it in detail on my blog - see Spirit link below). We ended up at the Fish Market, and my kids are still talking about it.

The onion rings? I had thought, "How can onion rings be so good?"... well, they can! We ordered them on the last day for lunch and the staff teased me about getting them. I wrote that story in the blog post to. I can say though, they are some of the best ever!

Thank you DrmnOfMaui - we must have just missed you, we did the same cruise a month earlier. I will enjoy reading your blog & reliving the cruise. Thanks for the pics of the onion rings, they look like doughnuts!! They don't feature on menus in Australia so I will look forward to trying them.

• 9 months later...
I have my fingers crossed it will be Ushaia - otherwise we are pretty much booked up.

No, probably Puerto Montt, it has a fantastic fish market with a very worthwhile souvenir market on the way. If the Chef does not do it here then just do it yourself. After leaving the tender, turn left and keep walking for about 20 minutes. A very safe and enjoyable walk (but probably in rain!)

If you time your arrival for lunch, there are also a number of rustic seafood restaurants which are well worth trying.

If you buy some fish or shellfish, the galley is generally happy to cook it for you. You will probably see many mid/senior hotel staff there doing the same thing.

Thanks to everyone for the tips, especially Chairsin. We are berry addicts, and I am probably more concerned about fresh fruit than the booze aboard the Sojourn, so I plan to ask an insist on lots of secret berries. And shopping with the Chef sounds like great fun, since I am convinced that the food markets are always some of the most interesting places in any town.