Coffee on Princess Cruises

coloradocruisers101

We asked this question recently on a Crown b2b during our 1st cruise & were told free brewed coffee would not be available on the 2nd cruise without another card. We had an old card for specialty coffees & decided not to buy a new one only covering the 12 day segment but not the 20 day segment.

That's the official policy & they put the ship name & cruise number on the back of the card. They didn't seem to check them closely but I didn't want to buy a card with free brewed coffee only for our port intensive 12 day cruise but instead bought a card for our 20 day with few ports.

If you booked the b2b as two cruises (separate booking numbers), that is correct.

If you booked it with one booking number, you should have been able to use one card to get unlimited brewed coffeee on both segments.

Hi all ~ we're on a 27 B2B TA/BI cruise in May. If I buy a coffee card can I get a "free black regular coffee" every day?:confused: I don't use sugar or cream and my husband usually pays for a coffee per day for me. Karen

If you booked the b2b as two cruises (separate booking numbers), that is correct.

If you booked it with one booking number, you should have been able to use one card to get unlimited brewed coffeee on both segments.

I've read that is true when booking as one cruise however my reply was to someone who didn't indicate they booked as one cruise & was based on it being 2 separate bookings & not as one booking.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi all ~ we're on a 27 B2B TA/BI cruise in May. If I buy a coffee card can I get a "free black regular coffee" every day?:confused: I don't use sugar or cream and my husband usually pays for a coffee per day for me. Karen

I've read that is true when booking as one cruise however my reply was to someone who didn't indicate they booked as one cruise & was based on it being 2 separate bookings & not as one booking.

Since the b2b could be booked as a single cruise (British Isles Grand Adventure) as well as two separate cruises, I gave the answer for both possibilities.

I drink my coffee black. Although Princess coffee is not "wonderful" it is no worse than most restaurant coffee and I really have no objection to it.

I have noticed on occasion that the water in the restaurants at times has a chlorine or iodine taste and wonder if that is responsible for the bad tasting coffee that many people find. At all other times the water tastes fine.

Marty

Edited by janacin

I found the coffee served in the IC to be very inconsistent in regards to temp and quality. It seemed that when it was served it hotter that it tasted better. Some days I had two cups other days I couldn't choke down half a cup.

So, as a coffee addict I am trying Princess for the first time (Star) in a couple of weeks, for a 29 day cruise. Being spoiled by another unnamed cruise line, for our last 8 or 10 cruises we had cappuchinos delivered to the suite every morning. If we get a coffee card, can we get the International Cafe brewed coffee delivered or do we have to go down in our bathrobe (that would clear out the place!!) :):eek: to get it? Are there any coffee advantages to being in a suite on Princess?

Some refer to the coffee concentrate as 'syrup' but I have no idea why they say it's from 'syrup'? :confused:

Because it comes as a syrup in a plastic bag. I've watched them replace the empties. The "machine" combines it with hot water, similar to the fountain drinks at a fast food restaurant. Differences in coffee strengths are most likely just differences in the ratio of water to concentrate.

Art

While we have only been on three Princess cruises we have purchased coffee cards each time and found them good value for good coffee. Have just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise - no coffee cards avaiable and card was really missed.

Some refer to the coffee concentrate as 'syrup' but I have no idea why they say it's from 'syrup'?

Because it comes as a syrup in a plastic bag. I've watched them replace the empties. The "machine" combines it with hot water, similar to the fountain drinks at a fast food restaurant. Differences in coffee strengths are most likely just differences in the ratio of water to concentrate.

Art

There's a difference between a liquid concentrate & syrup even if both come in a bag! :rolleyes:

Since the coffee isn't a sweet liquid it's a concentrate & maybe check a dictionary before telling anyone that they're wrong. :rolleyes:

Syrup: any of various thick, sweet liquids prepared for table use from molasses, glucose, etc.

Concentrate: to intensify; make denser, stronger, or purer, especially by the removal or reduction of liquid

Edited by Astro Flyer

We always bring Starbucks VIA packets of French Roast as we like a bold coffee.

We either order hot water from room service with breakfast and add a whole packet to a cup of hot water OR we order the 'syrup/concentrate' room service coffee and add half a packet of VIA straw to it and it make a rather drinkable cup of coffee.

Saves getting dressed and running down to the IC and paying for coffee first thing in the morning. :)

Hi all cruise friends. Just wondering your thoughts on coffee on Princess. Last time on the Sapphire, we had horrible coffee everyone on the ship except the specialty places. Just off the Crown last month and the room service coffee was actually good which we had every morning. Of course this is knowledge after packing a small pot in our luggage. Could have brought more shoes! :eek:

I know coffee like food can be subjective. DH is a coffee snob, and he even said he was drinkable. Your thoughts to help others not to waste space in luggage.

Warm Regards,

Sharon

I actually like the coffee..never had a problem with it.

If we get a coffee card, can we get the International Cafe brewed coffee delivered or do we have to go down in our bathrobe (that would clear out the place!!) :):eek: to get it? No, you could wear your tux instead. Seriously though, you would need to go and get it yourself, no room service for this.

Are there any coffee advantages to being in a suite on Princess? No.

See above in red.

There's a difference between a liquid concentrate & syrup even if both come in a bag! :rolleyes:

Since the coffee isn't a sweet liquid it's a concentrate & maybe check a dictionary before telling anyone that they're wrong. :rolleyes:

Syrup: any of various thick, sweet liquids prepared for table use from molasses, glucose, etc.

Concentrate: to intensify; make denser, stronger, or purer, especially by the removal or reduction of liquid

Whatever it is, I didn't think it was that bad. It was tolerable, but I'm not a coffee connoisseur. Starbucks Via sounds like a good idea for my next cruise.

Concentrate is probably incorrect, but it's commonly used in referring to it as a syrup. My coffee supplier who owns the store and has spent his adult life buying and selling coffees and teas calls it "syrup".:p

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, just as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at some lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

We have found on 8 Princess cruises that the coffee is horrific.The coffee in th ebuffet is made from a serup.We always buy the coffee card and use it for the regular brewd coffee as well as for the fancier ones.

In defense of Princess we have found on the other lines that their regular coffee is equally horrible.

IMHO

Jeff:(

Thanks for the chuckle (as I sit here drinking my excellent home brewed hot coffee). It's really the only thing I miss about home when we travel, I can even leave my beloved pillow behind.

This is exactly what I think when I read these coffee threads. So far, we've been on 8 different lines and have yet to find a decent (inclusive) cup of coffee. The Princess forum seems to be the one most "vocal" about coffee.

Whatever it is, I didn't think it was that bad. It was tolerable, but I'm not a coffee connoisseur. Starbucks Via sounds like a good idea for my next cruise.

I just tried Starbucks Via yesterday, thinking it would be a good alternative. Tasted pretty much like Folgers instant coffee to me. So, I can save that packing space/weight. Try it out first before depending on it, we fortunately got a box as part of a Christmas gift this year, will save it for emergencies.

Edited by Happy ks