Aft cabin on Equinox

SadieC

Just in the process of booking a cruise to the Med for our 25th anniversary and am wondering about the aft cabins. 1206, 1674, and 2152 are all available (C1). Just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to booking these particular cabins (or aft in general:p). We hope to sail at the end of August or early September. Thanks very much in advance for any info!

Just in the process of booking a cruise to the Med for our 25th anniversary and am wondering about the aft cabins. 1206, 1674, and 2152 are all available (C1). Just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to booking these particular cabins (or aft in general:p). We hope to sail at the end of August or early September. Thanks very much in advance for any info!

Hi,

Several factors to consider....First...(I have stayed in 2152 on the Equinox)...understand that 2152 is directly under the outdoor area of the Oceanview Cafe/Bar area, so 1) the balcony is completely covered by the overhang and 2) you will hear scraping of chairs etc from the deck above. Unlike the other cabins you listed...nobody can see down onto your balcony like they can with the other 2 cabins. Cabin 2152 (and I believe both of the others as well as they are directly in-line below it) are slightly wider than the other aft/stern balconies...not a lot, but it is noticeable and enjoyable. Also, the aft/stern balconies are subject to soot...not a problem for 2152 because of the overhang...sometimes.

We love the aft/stern balconies...but other factors to consider. There is no aft set of elevators, and therefore a long walk, should that be a factor to you. That said, the area is very quiet, with little corridor traffic. The view/sound of the wake is soothing...and the sail-aways from ports are great !!

Hope this helps a bit.

There is a good picture in post #4 of the attached thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1047357&referrerid=422315

Enjoy!

Woody

Thanks Woody!....great advice and I very much appreciate the picture. When you talk about the "soot", is it bad? I guess i'm just wondering why 3 C1 cabins are available-and all are right underneathe each other.

The walk doesn't bother us-all that good food and premium beverage plan added a few pounds on our last cruise when we were in a "hump" balcony cabin on the Eclipse.:eek:

As I said, no soot on 2152 (overhang)...We have also stayed in 9303 and 9305 on the Eclipse....some mornings there was a very small amount of soot that was quickly and easily swept off by a towel...and the Stateroom Steward washed off the deck itself when needed. I am sure (from reading past posts) that others have found it to be more of a problem.

Like you....I completely enjoy the walk to the stern, and have never considered it a negative...and believe me...I have done it a few hundred times !!

Oops...You are welcome !!

Issues that I have had on a aft cabin are:

The soot may be there but not noticeable until you have sat in it or walked in it.

The back end on the upper decks are like magnets that always have people hanging at the rail. They are there constantly and the problem is they are either talking loud or their voices carry. It seems as if there is never a quite time on the balcony. Also passengers in the wrap around balconies always seemed to be entertaining groups late at night.

Passengers love to throw the dregs from their drink over the rail. Have been hit a few times by ice cubes, limes, lemons, liquid and etc.

There is always a fish tail jiggle that can be a little nauseating.

Depending on the port you may be looking at the bow of another ship. or just at the sea.

The good is when you leave your cabin there is only one way to walk, forward, so you will always be headed in the right direction.

Issues that I have had on a aft cabin are:

The soot may be there but not noticeable until you have sat in it or walked in it.

The back end on the upper decks are like magnets that always have people hanging at the rail. They are there constantly and the problem is they are either talking loud or their voices carry. It seems as if there is never a quite time on the balcony. Also passengers in the wrap around balconies always seemed to be entertaining groups late at night.

Passengers love to throw the dregs from their drink over the rail. Have been hit a few times by ice cubes, limes, lemons, liquid and etc.

There is always a fish tail jiggle that can be a little nauseating.

Depending on the port you may be looking at the bow of another ship. or just at the sea.

The good is when you leave your cabin there is only one way to walk, forward, so you will always be headed in the right direction.

Man so much negativity...I have sailed in an aft cabin on the Eclipse(9382). My wife and I(ages 47 and 43) both loved it! Soot was unoticable. So what if people can see you from above..Did you not look into the cabin and do some research on it before it was booked? The design of the ship makes it clear just by looking at it that the aft balconies are in the sun and cascade down. I never noticed anyone throwing drinks over not once. Also, we had a huge balcony. The walk to the stairs or elevators was fine for us. We never took the elevator. My wife even walked up and down the stairs in 5 and 6 inch heels. Its very quiet down there. We loved it. We are booked again on Feb 24th on the Silhouette in the same cabin and cant wait.

Thanks everyone! Booked 1206 for a cruise in September. Will watch out for the soot, but look forward to the walk after eating and drinking our way through the Mediterranean. One question, will the balcony be too hot to sit out on during that time of year?

Looking forward to the evenings looking over the lit wake on sea days, and don't mind the movement as we are avid boaters in the Pacific Northwest. Any other thoughts on the aft cabins are very much welcomed and appreciated.:)

I can't believe all the negative comments either :confused: We love aft cabins and will always choose them if possible. We had 1674 on the Equinox one year ago in the Caribbean. We had no problems with soot or with people throwing things onto our balcony. The balcony is a little wider than the other C1s on the aft due to the location of a cupboard between that cabin and the one next door. The cabin is the same size.

As for being overlooked that is one issue which you will find with aft cabins but the cabin you have chosen is a couple of decks down from the cafe so shouldn't cause a problem - if anything it also seems to be slightly less overlooked than 1674 which is the cabin directly above.

The view from the aft is wonderful and the walk really isn't that bad - particularly if you want to burn off some cruise calories. If you're sailing in the Med I believe you'll be calling in Venice - having sailed out of Venice in an aft cabin I can assure you, you will not be disappointed.

We also love aft cabins, and were in 6306 on Equinox last October, which was absolutey fantastic.

I suppose you could also say that the position of ours was that just about everyone could look down onto our balcony, but it didn't bother us in the slightest.

The views, especially when leaving port in Istanbul, were just amazing

Enjoy!

Louise

Thanks everyone! Booked 1206 for a cruise in September. Will watch out for the soot, but look forward to the walk after eating and drinking our way through the Mediterranean. One question, will the balcony be too hot to sit out on during that time of year?

Looking forward to the evenings looking over the lit wake on sea days, and don't mind the movement as we are avid boaters in the Pacific Northwest. Any other thoughts on the aft cabins are very much welcomed and appreciated.:)

Have said many times on CC that we LOVE our aft cabin - we have been in 8353 twice on the Silhouette and have booked the same one for this coming August. Beautiful quiet location,you can have a mix of sun and shade, stunning sunsets as we left ports in the Adriatic, not too far to walk at all, not a lot of soot (they clean it down every day and we took a little flannel incase there were tiny bits first thing) A nice retreat on a sea day when the decks a full and no where to sit !!!

The only thing I would say is that I could imagine that the ones higher up may not be as private as you have the Ocean View Cafe above you and loads of people looking over the rail. Then again, we've never been in cabins up there so someone else can probably give better advice.

Enjoy ! :):D

Another vote for the aft cabins. We love them. The walk to the aft cabins is far if you have mobility issues, for the rest of us, it is good exercise, a way to burn off that piece of chocolate waiting on my pillow.

We had soot only once, and that was when the ship was heading quickly back to port, after chugging along slowly for a couple of days.

The wake is mesmerizing day and night. We love to sit on the deck and relax with wine, tea, a book, a nap....

Thanks everyone! One of the things I am most looking forward to is to view, and the ability to relax on our own balcony in the sun on sea days. (hopefully it won't be too hot mid September). We have never been to the Med before, and have been so looking forward to this next adventure.

Sadie, I hope your trip is wonderful!!

I had a quick question about cabin 1665 (S2) on the Equinox. Does anyone know if there are one or two loungers on the balcony? And if there's only one, will they bring you another if you ask nicely? That's my favorite thing to do on sea days in the Med, fall asleep on a lounger to the sound of the ocean...

267 more days!

Liz

Archived