Unlimited Passport Collection Package?

Karen Lynn

I've never used the whole collection so I can't tell you. In certain parts of the world it might be a good idea to use all ship excursions for you to feel safe.

Perhaps if you have a particular cruise you're wondering about you could tell us and get better advise.

Personally we go mostly on our own just about everywhere but have taken private tours and ship tours.

I would say no you can DIY in most of the ports with some pre cruise research

You will get differing opinions

Some people are more independent than others so you have to do what works best for you

Lyn

If you are a woman traveling by herself or with a female companion Athens-Istanbul I could see why you are looking at ship excursions.

We went all over Athens and Greek Islands and I felt perfectly safe, Kusadasi not so much and I had Mr Wonderful with me.

You do whatever makes you feel safe. You can't enjoy your cruise if you're constantly looking over your shoulder.

I would recommend pricing out the cost to you of going a la carte versus the unlimited package before pulling the trigger on the package. I discovered that the cost of the unlimited package for my cruise in the fall would more than the cost of not doing the package even though I booked something through Oceania in every port.

Last summer on Riviera we did the Barcelona to Istanbul sailing for 15 days and the cost of the Unlimited Passport was the equivalent of $100pp per day. With multiple stops in both Egypt and Israel we wanted the ship's tours for those stops as well as a couple of others. We did not want to do quite as much touring as would have been required to get our money's worth out of the Unlimited Passport. So, what we ended up doing was taking 8 tours with the Your World Collection with a 25% discount. The remainder of our tours were with small independent groups and a couple of DIY days. All worked out well and no regrets.

We are doing a Mediterranean B2B this April. On the first leg, it was well worth getting the Unlimited Passport. On the second leg---not so much. So, the second leg is again at least one ship's tour, two independent tours with other couples, and at least one DIY.

On our Baltic coming up in August, again it was well worth getting the Unlimited Passport since on at least one day we have three tours scheduled.

So, to answer your question and to agree with some others, it is an individual thing and depends on individual itineraries. I am fluent in Spanish and can hold my own with Portuguese and Italian, so easier to strike out on our own where that is the language.

We chose to stay with ship's tours in Egypt, Turkey and Israel. Although should I return to Israel (as I would love to do) I would not have a problem with language since English is prevalent near the ports where we visited. We have absolutely no complaints regarding the Oceania tours and returned to the ship after each one pleased with the product. Perhaps we could have saved a few dollars doing our own research and organizing independent tours. But when dealing with an area that is quite unknown to us, especially for the first or only visit, we will often let the experts do the work for us and realize we are going to pay a bit more for that service.

For decades that has been my approach to housecleaning. I went out and did what I did best professionally so that I could hire someone to clean my house to do what they did best. :D

Best of luck with your decision!

I would say no you can DIY in most of the ports with some pre cruise research

You will get differing opinions

Some people are more independent than others so you have to do what works best for you

Lyn

Agree with Lyn, we felt totally safe doing our own " tours " in all the ports you are visiting. You can also join some small groups on your cruise's roll call. :)

We tried to justify the $2749 per person cost of the Unlimited Package on our 25 day trip in March from Beijing to Bangkok and there was absolutely NO WAY that we could reach that cost taking the maximum number of tours each day in each port at even the on board cost. Therefore there was NO WAY we were getting an up to 40% discount. I would strongly encourage anyone contemplating taking this package to spend the time to do the math. I don't know if this is the case with every cruise, but I can tell you that with our cruise it was not a discount. We decided to book just a few excursions ahead of time to get the 10% discount by booking before boarding. If we decide to take a 10th shore excursion and are absolutely certain that we won't change our mind on any of the excursions, we may change to the Your World Collection to receive an additional 15% discount for a total discount of 25%. This package on our trip would make sense, but not the Unlimited Package.

Cenia

I would check all the tours that you want to do via the ship add the prices up

Then see what package works for you

You can also compare DIY tours sharing with others on your roll call

Sometimes the ships tours are a good way to see what you want & give you that feeling of security

All depends on the port & your personal preferences

The ships tours we have taken are just fine but our personal choice it do have less people & smaller groups

Lyn

Archived