Passport Cards, would you bother?

mmbrocker

We are booked on an 8day out of Galveston. Port stops are KW, WDW & Castaway Cay.

DH & I have passports already from earlier (before kid) cruises.

DS1 had a passport, which recently expired. DS2 never got one.

Renewing and getting a new passport for my boys will cost $200+. IF there was any chance in heck we'd use them again in 5 years, I'd just get those. BUT, I'm currently pregnant w/#3 and don't expect we'll be doing another cruise for at a minimum 4 years, probably more.

So, I was thinking of getting them passport cards. After all, we aren't even docking anywhere near a foreign airport of any type. Cost for both boys $80.

BUT..really...really.. I don't need them do I? I mean, with the appropriate birth certificates we'd be just fine right? Typically I like to be super duper extra prepared however I'm starting to think it's a waste of money really.

So, experienced family cruisers, what would YOU do? Passport, Passport Card or birth certificate?

Passport card will do no good if you need to fly home.

With the only stops being Castaway Cay, Key West and Port Canaveral, WHERE would I even be able to fly from? Closest emergency flights services would all be US based or Helicopter evac right?

Unless you live near the Canadian or Mexican border passport cards may not be worthwhile. They have the advantage of being more durable than BC, but that's about all based on your outline.

I'm a big fan of passports, but based on your facts I'd suggest sticking with BC for the children.

We are booked on an 8day out of Galveston. Port stops are KW, WDW & Castaway Cay.

DH & I have passports already from earlier (before kid) cruises.

DS1 had a passport, which recently expired. DS2 never got one.

Renewing and getting a new passport for my boys will cost $200+. IF there was any chance in heck we'd use them again in 5 years, I'd just get those. BUT, I'm currently pregnant w/#3 and don't expect we'll be doing another cruise for at a minimum 4 years, probably more.

So, I was thinking of getting them passport cards. After all, we aren't even docking anywhere near a foreign airport of any type. Cost for both boys $80.

BUT..really...really.. I don't need them do I? I mean, with the appropriate birth certificates we'd be just fine right? Typically I like to be super duper extra prepared however I'm starting to think it's a waste of money really.

So, experienced family cruisers, what would YOU do? Passport, Passport Card or birth certificate?

The passport card won't do anything more for you on a closed loop cruise then the kids BC. If I were you I would not get them and use the money elsewhere.

They ARE cute in the old passport photos. LOL.

I think that's it, I'm sold on the BC only. If anything, I'll order a second set of state issued BC's for the boys. It certainly won't hurt to have an extra set put away for safekeeping and it's 1/2 the price of the passport cards.

I would suggest using their B.C.s. Passports are dang expensive, I don't have one, as the thought of me having enough money to fly out of country would mean I would have enough for a passport. :)

We use the cards but live on the border and enter Canada every 7-10 days to shop. As mentioned the cards are cheaper.

Well let me tell you - when my youngest got sick on the way to Castaway Cay they wanted to airlift us to NASSAU Bahamas. So you ask - where would we fly from? I can tell you exactly where they would fly you from ;)

Passport cards are useless in this case. They are no better than the birth certificates when you are cruising.

I don't leave the country without passports.

Well let me tell you - when my youngest got sick on the way to Castaway Cay they wanted to airlift us to NASSAU Bahamas. So you ask - where would we fly from? I can tell you exactly where they would fly you from ;)

Passport cards are useless in this case. They are no better than the birth certificates when you are cruising.

Oh that's good to know... It's good to remember that most of the private islands ARE in the Bahamas.

OP, I've been struggling with this, but I figure that it's like insurance. You don't need it... until you do and then it's too late. I'm going with the passports.

Who knows? It might prompt us to use them again if we already have them. :D

ETA: I wouldn't bother with the cards though.

See now, I didn't know that.

So we all hear this..have a passport in case you need an emergency flight home from a foreign country. But we all know that a large percentage of each cruise is full of people who do not have passports. SO..what actually DOES happen if you don't have it. I have to imagine you get back to the US eventually -- is it just a hassle with the State Department or what? Hmmm....anyone know what does happen? Now I'm just curious. LOL

Archived