Another luggage tag question

banshee72

Okay, as you stated that was In your opinion. Well, with all due respect, your opinion is WRONG. When you check in, they enter your name in the computer, either off of your ID or your sail pass. If you DON'T have your sail pass, they click "print", and while they retrieve your card and info, the pass prints up. They hand it to you to sign just as they get ready to hand you your card and information. The total net time difference is non-existent.

No time lost. Not really debatable.

While you're having the porter write out your tags, I'll be the guy walking up and dropping my tagged bags at his feet with my hand out with a tip. You know he'll stop writing to take that tip. You absolutely know he will but I'll give you a polite, "Excuse me," and "Seeya on-board," as I pass you by. Just don't get mad because if I see you later, I plan on buying you a drink. :D:D:D Happy travels.

While you're having the porter write out your tags, I'll be the guy walking up and dropping my tagged bags at his feet with my hand out with a tip. You know he'll stop writing to take that tip. You absolutely know he will but I'll give you a polite, "Excuse me," and "Seeya on-board," as I pass you by. Just don't get mad because if I see you later, I plan on buying you a drink. :D:D:D Happy travels.

Oh good. Let's bring tipping into this conversation. Because that always ends up helping clear things up. Am I to understand that you are assuming I don't tip?

Look, for all the good information on this site there is a HUGE body of misinformation and distortions. And amongst that is the fervent belief that pre-printed luggage tags and sail documents result in a measurable streamlining of the boarding process. It's complete fallacy. But people who have never considered boarding without these things continue to spew their fervent beliefs, as though my pointing out that it is not necessary is somehow an affront to their personal belief system.

If you get excited printing your sail pass, and you enjoy luggage tags, because it's one of this things that lets you know it's cruise time, then good for you! Far from me to deprive you of those simple joys. But when someone is stressing out about making sure they do it "right", don't rip me for pointing out that they do not need to stress about it.

Oh good. Let's bring tipping into this conversation. Because that always ends up helping clear things up. Am I to understand that you are assuming I don't tip?

Look, for all the good information on this site there is a HUGE body of misinformation and distortions. And amongst that is the fervent belief that pre-printed luggage tags and sail documents result in a measurable streamlining of the boarding process. It's complete fallacy. But people who have never considered boarding without these things continue to spew their fervent beliefs, as though my pointing out that it is not necessary is somehow an affront to their personal belief system.

If you get excited printing your sail pass, and you enjoy luggage tags, because it's one of this things that lets you know it's cruise time, then good for you! Far from me to deprive you of those simple joys. But when someone is stressing out about making sure they do it "right", don't rip me for pointing out that they do not need to stress about it.

And to tell people that printing out a document that the cruise line has asked you to bring along is bad information. Actually it's a selfish act. Imagine if every person choose to let the cruise line agent do it. You continue to do what you like but don't tell people something is not necessary when the cruise line actually asks you to bring it with you.

Last year I had decided to cut back on my printing so I did not print out the info for my return flight home. I figured I'd just look it up in my e-mail when I was ready to do the flight check-in. So when the time comes I go to look it up and I can't get into my e-mail. I get a message that I am accessing from an unusual IP address and it won't let me in. I started stressing!

And to tell people that printing out a document that the cruise line has asked you to bring along is bad information. Actually it's a selfish act. Imagine if every person choose to let the cruise line agent do it. You continue to do what you like but don't tell people something is not necessary when the cruise line actually asks you to bring it with you.

Okay, I see. The rule now is we MUST always do what the cruise line tells us. So I guess I'll never see you show up for boarding before the posted times. And I'll certainly NEVER see you tell anyone else here it's okay to do so right?:rolleyes:

Okay, I see. The rule now is we MUST always do what the cruise line tells us. So I guess I'll never see you show up for boarding before the posted times. And I'll certainly NEVER see you tell anyone else here it's okay to do so right?:rolleyes:

It's obvious that you don't get it. Like I said, continue to do what you want. Selfish people normally do.:rolleyes:

It's obvious that you don't get it. Like I said, continue to do what you want. Selfish people normally do.:rolleyes:

What don't I get? And exactly why am I being selfish? Enlighten me. If the new gold standard is "we must do exactly what RCI says on their website", then I think there won't be a need for a lot of the threads around here.

Look, I really resent being called selfish. In all my recent cruises, I have never ONCE bothered with luggage tags, and I no longer bother printing anything up. It has never cost me time or aggravation, and I have never had anyone even slightly intimate it was a problem. Cut me some slack, or show me the error in my ways.

Easy there now. No tipping assumptions from me. Just having a little fun with you. No offense intended and I'll still buy that drink for you after you're finished chatting it up with the porter. Just don't get mad. :D

Just for the record, I didn't call you selfish either.

All kidding aside folks, it obviously doesn't matter, seeing as you needn't even apply luggage tags at all. Remember, that's what the porters are for! :rolleyes:

I would recommend to not let the porter fill out the tags for you at all.

On our last cruise we had printed out the tags in color and brought them with us. When we arrived at the pier, we found out the porters did not carry staplers or tape. He tossed our tags in the trash and handfilled out new ones that were self-adhesive similar to those that RCI used to mail out. problem was one of our bags did not arrive to our cabin for 2 days. This was due to the poor handwriting of the porter. Our bag was delivered to the wrong stateroom and returned to us after the occupants of that stateroom returned it to guest services.

Okay, as you stated that was In your opinion. Well, with all due respect, your opinion is WRONG. When you check in, they enter your name in the computer, either off of your ID or your sail pass. If you DON'T have your sail pass, they click "print", and while they retrieve your card and info, the pass prints up. They hand it to you to sign just as they get ready to hand you your card and information. The total net time difference is non-existent.

No time lost. Not really debatable.

It may happen that way in your world at cruise check in but that's not what I've see at my check ins. The check in agent has always completed the check in process before getting our and others onboard cards. This includes, if you don't have your set sail pass printed, confirming your personal and credit card information is correct, followed by printing and retrieving the set sail pass from the common printer which then must be signed by you. Then they check you in and get your onboard cards.

I need only to hand the agent our signed set sail pass and identification, they check us in and retrieve our onboard cards and we're off to board.

If you feel not bothering to preprint your set sail is the better way, more power to you, but I know I haven't held up the boarding process and will be onboard a lot quicker than one who hasn't done this.

Also good luck with the dock side tags. Hopefully the porter has attached the tag properly, hasn't transposed the cabin numbers or written them down poorly as one other poster mentioned. I would hope you would take the time and stay to make sure your tags are made up and attached properly by the porters.

Did you even read the post I linked to earlier?

I brought a roll of packing tape with us on the last cruise put tape on the printed tags and taped the ends together on the bags. Will do the same next cruise. Worked like a charm. Bought the tape at the dollar store.

Dee

I've done the same and it does provide for a well attached tag.

Wow, nice waste of paper. You don't need to print up ANYTHING in order to board. Show up with your passport and your credit card and you're good.

Printing tour info, edocs, sail pass.... all a complete waste of time and paper.

We had a group of 12 and having things printed made our planning easier. I appreciated her effort. It would've been more difficult for us to have 12 people sitting in front of one computer screen or maybe all of us at home emailing each other every five minutes.

And to be truthful, I'd rather have things printed and read it off paper than a computer screen. It's my age and my eyesight. Just easier.

Wasted paper? Not if I consider it useful.

BTW - where is the hostility coming from? I'm just sharing another opinion. Yours to dismiss as you see fit, but others may consider it useful.

At Port Canaveral they won't even let you in the terminal building unless you

have your set sail pass and passport (or other ID allowed) out to show to the agents.

They shout it out to the pax getting in line outside before you even get up to

the agents that are checking.

I print page one and page three of the set sail pass only (black ink fine ;) ). How

much is that worth to avoid a hassle for me?.....priceless.

At Port Canaveral they won't even let you in the terminal building unless you

have your set sail pass and passport (or other ID allowed) out to show to the agents.

They shout it out to the pax getting in line outside before you even get up to

the agents that are checking.

I print page one and page three of the set sail pass only (black ink fine ;) ). How

much is that worth to avoid a hassle for me?.....priceless.

They do ask to see the SetSail pass upon entry to the terminal at PC, however if you don't have it, they do have a copy of the manifest they can check and allow entry if your name appears on the manifest, and you have photo ID. I've seen this happen, and it adds a few minutes to the process, so while the SetSail is not absolutely needed, it does make the process go faster.

They do ask to see the SetSail pass upon entry to the terminal at PC, however if you don't have it, they do have a copy of the manifest they can check and allow entry if your name appears on the manifest, and you have photo ID. I've seen this happen, and it adds a few minutes to the process, so while the SetSail is not absolutely needed, it does make the process go faster.

Thanks! :)

That is good to know in case I ever forget to bring it! :eek:

Have never seen anyone try to get into the building without it.

So I did not know what would happen if they did not produce it

when asked.

With those long lines, it sure does make the process go much

smoother. I wouldn't want to be one holding up the people behind

me, as it costs very little to print those two pages.

Me, I just happen to like to be organized, making the boarding

process easy for myself and the agents.

To each their own! ;)

Thanks! :)

That is good to know in case I ever forget to bring it! :eek:

Have never seen anyone try to get into the building without it.

So I did not know what would happen if they did not produce it

when asked.

With those long lines, it sure does make the process go much

smoother. I wouldn't want to be one holding up the people behind

me, as it costs very little to print those two pages.

Me, I just happen to like to be organized, making the boarding

process easy for myself and the agents.

To each their own! ;)

Let me get this straight. First, you report you've never seen anyone try to get into the building without it. But then assert that having it makes the process smoother, and not having one holds up the line.

I'm a little confused. If you've NEVER seen anyone without one. How do you KNOW it holds up the line? :rolleyes:

Let me get this straight. First, you report you've never seen anyone try to get into the building without it. But then assert that having it makes the process smoother, and not having one holds up the line.

I'm a little confused. If you've NEVER seen anyone without one. How do you KNOW it holds up the line? :rolleyes:

Did you even read post #43. Bob made a very good point, and indeed observed

a situation that had someone without a set sail pass. What part of this did

you not understand??? :rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise.

I did see that. But I respectfully disagree. I have, on my last four cruises, not brought any printout, and it in now way added "a few minutes" to the process. If I were going to be completely impartial, I would say it added anywhere from zero (such is the case when they print it while retrieving the card and info) to 15 seconds (when they print it and hand it to me to sign before retrieving the card and info).

I do find it interesting that you know neither of us personally, and you have never seen someone without a sail pass, yet you have chosen to embrace the other posters statement as gospel truth, while summarily dismissing the validity of mine. It's basically a way of constructing the information you have collected to make it conform to your preconceived opinion.

I did see that. But I respectfully disagree. I have, on my last four cruises, not brought any printout, and it in now way added "a few minutes" to the process. If I were going to be completely impartial, I would say it added anywhere from zero (such is the case when they print it while retrieving the card and info) to 15 seconds (when they print it and hand it to me to sign before retrieving the card and info).

I do find it interesting that you know neither of us personally, and you have never seen someone without a sail pass, yet you have chosen to embrace the other posters statement as gospel truth, while summarily dismissing the validity of mine. It's basically a way of constructing the information you have collected to make it conform to your preconceived opinion.

To each their own.....

Enjoy your cruise. :rolleyes:

It's very reasonable to believe and makes sense that simply showing a set sail pass would be much quicker than checking a manifest with 2 to 6 thousands people and making sure your ID matched the name on the manifest to gain entry to a terminal just like it's a lot quicker to dial a phone number that you have already than finding it in a phone book before being able to dial that number. We've never been delayed when entering a terminal as I always had our printed out documentation like a set sail pass and have seen others delayed when they didn't have this.:D

For what it's worth, we accidentally left every single document behind on a cruise out of San Pedro. I realized it as we were driving to the airport in a taxi. I quickly called RCCL's customer service from the cab, to determine if we needed to turn around.

They assured me I didn't need anything other than my passport and whatever means I wanted to use to secure my SeaPass with.

Sure enough, we got in the line, filled out our health forms and walked right in to the building. The two "gate keepers" we had to go through asked if I had my paperwork filled out. I told them yes, but I forgot it. They asked if I knew my C&A status, which I did... and they directed me to the correct check-in line.

Frankly, it took not one second more to check in. I gave the woman my name, my passport and my credit card. She looked me up in the system and it was all done.

Ann

Archived