New menus in the Grand Dining Room

neepawa

Oh now I can hardly wait to board the Marina next week. Yum.:D

Looks like you'll have to book another cruise while you are on Marina. The new menu is on the Riviera but the other ships will have them within 3 months.

Unfortunately, looks like more evening meals in the buffet at the Terrace Cafe. These are way too fancy for me!

My initial reaction to the three dishes that were posted somewhere else was that they were a bit too fancified for me, too. And I like gourmet food. My friends call me a gourmet cook, although I know that isn't true. (I'm a good cook, just not a gourmet cook.)

But in looking at more of the menu I saw lots that would appeal.

It is true that chefs can go overboard ... but it looks to me like there is plenty to attract someone who likes food that isn't too "froo froo".

I am very sure that when you go into the GDR you won't see nothing but the "fancy" dishes.

But if you do ... the buffet is there as a backup.

And if people react negatively to some of the fancier meals, I suspect they will disappear.

Mura

I presume Oceania knows its clients. If it runs, flies or climbs, I won't touch it, but in making its presentation, they weren't going to show the new grilled halibut with steamed veggies types, not that picturesque for the photo shoot I guess.

Also seems rather alot of fish for my liking, cannot eat the stuff unfortunately.

I noticed the same, I am not a lover of seafood in general so the details did little to reassure me, as there seemed a strong focus on all the things I dislike sadly.

Well, as ever the implementation is what matters and I'll wait with interest to hear how people react to what is actually served rather than what they chose to talk about in the announcement.

I doubt very much if the menus will be restricted to just those posted in the NEW menu items

There will be plenty to choose from

Usually a vegetarian dish at each meal & of course the Available always items

Chicken, steak frites, salmon & lamb (I think)

If like my DH who does not like a lot of things unless it is dessert there is always pasta & you can ask for it as a main course

We do not eat a lot of rich food with sauces so I just have to be more picky when I order ;)

Lyn

I guess my reaction is colored by the lack of balance in the featured items, 12 seafood dishes against a mere hand-full of alternatives involving meat and then two of those being pork.

I have no desire to be relegated to the 'Always available' items, I just wanted to be delighted and inspired by what they could do with everything else that isn't seafood :)

Happy to wait and see what the reality is rather then getting too concerned just yet...

Visit this site to see some of the new items on GDR menus:

http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/?int=pg&t=emint&d=013013&cid=ocblog

Cheers,

Don

For us, the abundance of seafood options is a triple plus! YUM. We know it's not everyone's choice, but I'd bet there's lots of other options on the MDR menu not being highlighted. And, of course, there are the specialty restaurants.

I am also thrilled by the new menu options because we don't often eat often in the GDR and we have more reasons to try it now. The whining and hand-wringing by many of the regulars on this thread and the other older thread that preceded it are laughable. For crying out loud, people, you are not having the food shoved down your throats. With all of the real problems in the world, getting upset because there are too many new fish or pork dishes on the expanded GDR menu is so petty.

I very much enjoy the opinions of other posters even if they are different from mine -- perhaps especially if they are different from mine.

That there are problems in the world is besides the point. Cruise Critic is a welcome escape from the problems we face every day. Didn't expect a criticism for expressing an opinion.

Archived