Skip Akrotiri on Santorini? A disappointment compared with Ephesus Terrace Houses?

mikeerdas

Will be on a cruise thing Spring hitting Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Olympia. Had been looking forward to visiting Akrotiri until I saw a video on YouTube of the new covered Akrotiri. It looked drab and lifeless. Truly ruined ruins. Versus the Terrace Houses at Ephesus which was one of our favorite port experiences--as well as Ephesus itself. My wife and I love ruins and archaeological sites situated in beautiful locations.

So, the question is this: for those of you who enjoy dramatically situated ruins (e.g. Delphi is up there with Ephesus for beauty as well as historical importance), should I give Akrotiri a miss and plan to see other parts of Santorini? While I'm sure Akrotiri has great significance as a Minoan Pompeii, to be honest, I'm in it as much for the eye candy and wonder as for the historical significance. And Akrotiri looked bleak--no mosaics, barely recognizable structures, etc; very much unlike the Terrace Houses (the latter is highly recommended).

Should we seek our ruins fix in Delos off Mykonos instead?

Here's the video I watched on the newly reopened Akrotiri that has more or less made me cross it off our list for Santorini:

Aside from finding a nice restaurant high on a cliff to watch the sunset (recommendations welcome), what might be a good way to spend time on Santorini? The port stop is from 1:30pm to 10:00pm. My wife and I are not in any way mobility impaired. Wouldn't mind a short hike to somewhere special, or exploring other areas of the island that are particularly gorgeous or other ruins in their natural setting. We're for the most part into doing ports On Our Own (e.g. not booking excursions), unless the logistics are just too difficult to self-arrange visits to places of interest.

Hi mikeerdas -- you probably remember from past posts that I am hopeless and will visit any ruins in the Med, more or less. I have actually been putting off taking a cruise that stops in Santorini because for me the only real reason to go is to visit Akrotiri.

I took a look at the video and I would venture to guess that whoever took it was filming the new structure before all the artifacts were moved back in. If you look closely, you'll see all the display cases are empty, and the walls look freshly plastered and waiting for frescoes or other elements to be installed. Even the little signs appear to be blank.

I hope someone from Greece checks in and provides a more definitive confirmation (or not). But that would be my guess. I know the Akrotiri site used to house many artifacts that were moved to other locations (some in a small museum in Thira, for example) while the building here was reconstructed.

As to Delos, I really enjoyed it also. The avenue of lions alone is worth the trip over. There are houses up the hill (imagine the Ephesus Terrace Houses, but out in the open) with some mosaic fragments still on the floors. As you can see, I'm no help to you. :p

Thanks CruiseMom. I was, in fact, specifically hoping you'd sound in. :-) Interesting about artifacts missing at the time the video was made. Will have to wait and see. Delos I absolutely must see. Any site guide books you'd recommend? You've made some great suggestions in the past, e.g. White Star Guide to Rome, etc. Any books you'd recommend on Venice?

Looking forward to some day getting back both to Rome and Ephesus. I'd booked a private 3 hour tour with an outfit either you or another CCer recommended--something beginning with an "E"--the name escapes me. Great experience. But left me wanting more. Next time I will take my own transport to Ephesus and spend half a day plus there.

Hi mikeerdas -- you probably remember from past posts that I am hopeless and will visit any ruins in the Med, more or less. I have actually been putting off taking a cruise that stops in Santorini because for me the only real reason to go is to visit Akrotiri.

I took a look at the video and I would venture to guess that whoever took it was filming the new structure before all the artifacts were moved back in. If you look closely, you'll see all the display cases are empty, and the walls look freshly plastered and waiting for frescoes or other elements to be installed. Even the little signs appear to be blank.

I hope someone from Greece checks in and provides a more definitive confirmation (or not). But that would be my guess. I know the Akrotiri site used to house many artifacts that were moved to other locations (some in a small museum in Thira, for example) while the building here was reconstructed.

As to Delos, I really enjoyed it also. The avenue of lions alone is worth the trip over. There are houses up the hill (imagine the Ephesus Terrace Houses, but out in the open) with some mosaic fragments still on the floors. As you can see, I'm no help to you. :p

For a Venice guidebook I can recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Venice-Art-Architecture-Marion-Kaminski/dp/3833152877/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359681847&sr=1-1&keywords=architecture+of+venice

If you like the White Star style of guidebook, I think you'd like this one and it's a good value. Venice is not my area of real expertise (not old enough for me :o), but I'll be headed there in April at the end of a cruise so I've been doing my homework.

When I went to Delos, I had with me some information and a nice self-guided tour that I'd printed out from somewhere. Unfortunately the link no longer works. I'll see if I can figure out where I got and will post if I can find it.

The Venice book looks great, thanks! It's going in my Amazon shopping cart. No problem on Delos, but if you do find the self-guided tour material please let me know.

Any idea what to check out on Corfu for gorgeous ruins or architecture? Wondering what it has to offer. Not interested in shopping / partying / sitting on a beach.

For a Venice guidebook I can recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Venice-Art-Architecture-Marion-Kaminski/dp/3833152877/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359681847&sr=1-1&keywords=architecture+of+venice

If you like the White Star style of guidebook, I think you'd like this one and it's a good value. Venice is not my area of real expertise (not old enough for me :o), but I'll be headed there in April at the end of a cruise so I've been doing my homework.

When I went to Delos, I had with me some information and a nice self-guided tour that I'd printed out from somewhere. Unfortunately the link no longer works. I'll see if I can figure out where I got and will post if I can find it.

You are certainly correct that Akritori does not even begin to compare with the Terrace Houses (or Ephesus in general). DW and I have visited ruins all over the world and Ephesus in in the top 2 or 3 (our number 1 in the Med region). But we did find Akritori interesting since we had previously spent some time exploring the ruins and Minoan culture found on Crete. We are drawn to ruins because of our interest in history. By the way, we think the best "unvisited ruins" are probably at Ostia Antica which for some strange reason is often ignored by visitors to Rome.

Hank

The Venice book looks great, thanks! It's going in my Amazon shopping cart. No problem on Delos, but if you do find the self-guided tour material please let me know.

So far no luck locating the great tour I previously used. However, I did find some other good information on Delos. Particularly check out the last link, on the houses, if you really liked the Terrace Houses at Ephesus. It's got some good tips.

Good map: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/1653_delos.jpg

Another map: http://www.mykonos.gr/images/site/100/633_delos.jpg

Some good descriptions of public monuments: http://www.gtp.gr/TDirectoryDetails.asp?ID=14632

Great info on the four outstanding private residences: http://mygreecetravelblog.com/2012/04/01/visiting-delos-so-much-to-see-indoors-out/

So far no luck locating the great tour I previously used. However, I did find some other good information on Delos. Particularly check out the last link, on the houses, if you really liked the Terrace Houses at Ephesus. It's got some good tips.

Good map: http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/1653_delos.jpg

Another map: http://www.mykonos.gr/images/site/100/633_delos.jpg

Some good descriptions of public monuments: http://www.gtp.gr/TDirectoryDetails.asp?ID=14632

Great info on the four outstanding private residences: http://mygreecetravelblog.com/2012/04/01/visiting-delos-so-much-to-see-indoors-out/

Thanks for posting these link cruisemom42

Akrotiri is dating back from 1,450BC.

Ephessus terrace houses date from 1st century BC to 7th century AD.

OR

Akrotiri is Bronze Age, 3,500 years old.

Ephessus Terrace houses are Roman - Byzantine, 1,200 - 2,000 years old.

Of course it's ruins in Akrotiri and of course they are mostly brought down to Earth. It's what's left from, one of the top 5 biggest recorded volcano eruptions that blew the biggest part of the island all the way from Greece to Greenland, some hundreds of miles off Canadian coast. It's pure luck to find even a whole clay brick considering the circumstances.

My husband and I visited the Akrotiri ruins this past November. We really enjoyed them. The person who filmed the video did not do the site justice. Are they the Terrace Houses (we visited Ephesus also)? No. I enjoyed them almost as much as Delos. Akrotiri are more intimate. We saw only 4 people while we were there. I had printed out a map and details describing the site prior to leaving for Europe. It helped quite a bit.

I will add that we rented a car and saw quite a bit of Santorini. Not only did we visit the ruins, but we spent time in Oia, Fira, visit two wineries and a wine museum. With your time frame, you could visit the ruins, a winery and watch the sunset at Oia

Have a fabulous time.

Thanks CruiseMom, GoldieMom, Nick, and Hlitner.

@CruiseMom, I've got the Venice book on order. Looking forward to it. And thanks for all the Mykonos/Delos links. Do you, or does anyone else, have recommendations on booking a Delos tour on my own? I try to avoid cruise ship-sponsored excursions in general due to cost and herd situations (lack of intimacy and spending enough time at sites). The Mykonos stop is 8am to 6pm on a Wednesday.

Would also be interested in options for seeing Olympia on our own--or alternatives to Olympia for the port of Katakolon. I've visited Olympia before on my own while on a non-cruise overland trip. My wife's not been. May be up to her what to do. Wasn't really sure what our other options were at that port.

@Nick, good point about the relative time periods and conditions of the sites.

@Hlitner, wanted to visit Ostia Antica when in Rome for a very short pre-cruise stay. But only had time to see Vatican City and the Forum/Coliseum/Spanish Steps/Trevi Fountain when last there. Next time we're in Rome, would love to see Ostia Antica, the Appian Way, and Hadrian's Villa.

@GoldieMom, will have to reconsider Akrotiri. What would you and others recommend for a car rental company in Santorini? My preference is typically for public transportation. But I could see the advantage of a car. What was parking like in various spots you visited on the island? Also wondering what restaurants folks would recommend for seeing the famed sun set. Since the port stop in Santorini is later in the day--1:30pm to to 10:00pm on a Tuesday--we'll certainly get our wish of doing that. Will have to check when the sun would set there in May.

For Corfu:

Any recommendations here for what to do on Corfu? Port stop is 8am to 3:30pm on a Monday. Certainly not interested in shopping, party areas, etc. More interested in nature, architecture, and history. Possibly wineries, olive groves, etc. Never done a food-type tour in Greece. My wife and I love Greek food. Just everyday stuff, nothing fancy.

We rented the car from Santorini Holiday Cars. The car rental company met us at the top of the cable car at 9A as per our request.

We visited Santos Winery where we sampled a wine flight and had snacks with it. We live in a California wine appellation and know winery owners, are members of wine clubs, etc. So we try to explore wine areas throughout the world. We then tried to visit a winery/gallery. Unbeknownst to us, it had closed for the season. However, the owner was there doing work. When we told him we had travel a long way to see his winery, he gave us a private tour and tasting. We bought a bottle of sweet wine for our 20 something yr. old son. The we visited a wine museum (history of wine making in Santorini) and tasted their wines. All in all, the wines on Santorini are OK, but not great. However their vineyards are fascinating. They grow the grape vines in circles (like a basket) with the grapes in the middle. It is to protect the grapes and vines from the wind.

Parking was never an issue. Parking areas were for the most park clearly marked. The car allowed us to come and go at our own pace.

We also rented a car on Corfu. With a car we visited Paleokastritsa beach where we took a small boat to see the sea caves and cliffs. We also visited the Theotokou Monastery, villages overlooking Paleokastritsa Beach, Achillion Palace and Corfu Town (Kekyra). Parking, again, was never an issue. It was a fun day and we saw quite a bit of the island.

Will be on a cruise thing Spring hitting Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Olympia. Had been looking forward to visiting Akrotiri until I saw a video on YouTube of the new covered Akrotiri. It looked drab and lifeless. Truly ruined ruins. Versus the Terrace Houses at Ephesus which was one of our favorite port experiences--as well as Ephesus itself. My wife and I love ruins and archaeological sites situated in beautiful locations.

So, the question is this: for those of you who enjoy dramatically situated ruins (e.g. Delphi is up there with Ephesus for beauty as well as historical importance), should I give Akrotiri a miss and plan to see other parts of Santorini? While I'm sure Akrotiri has great significance as a Minoan Pompeii, to be honest, I'm in it as much for the eye candy and wonder as for the historical significance. And Akrotiri looked bleak--no mosaics, barely recognizable structures, etc; very much unlike the Terrace Houses (the latter is highly recommended).

Should we seek our ruins fix in Delos off Mykonos instead?

Here's the video I watched on the newly reopened Akrotiri that has more or less made me cross it off our list for Santorini:

Aside from finding a nice restaurant high on a cliff to watch the sunset (recommendations welcome), what might be a good way to spend time on Santorini? The port stop is from 1:30pm to 10:00pm. My wife and I are not in any way mobility impaired. Wouldn't mind a short hike to somewhere special, or exploring other areas of the island that are particularly gorgeous or other ruins in their natural setting. We're for the most part into doing ports On Our Own (e.g. not booking excursions), unless the logistics are just too difficult to self-arrange visits to places of interest.

We went to Akrotiri last Nov and really enjoyed it. We took the public bus there and back from Fira, with ease. We also walked to Red Beach lookout from Akrotiri before taking the bus back- beautiful! We then took bus to Oia later in the day.

On a previous trip to Santorini(Akrotiri was still closed then) we took the walk from Fira to Oia along the caldera-- fabulous experience.

We also stopped in Mykonos and took the ferry to Delos. It is a very different experience- all out in the open(there is a very nice museum.visitor center) We spent so much time at the avenue of the Lions and the museum that we were running out of time to see the houses on the hill with the floor mosaics before the last ferry of the day was leaving- a young girl from the visitor's center took pity on us and led us up the hill and showed us all the special houses- she said she didn't want us to miss anything and she knew "shortcuts"-- that was so nice of her and we have fond memories of Delos

In Corfu we took a public bus to Paleokastritsa beach and took the little boat to the caves.

I know that some prefer a rental car, but I just wanted to let you know that it can be done via public transportation.

Almost any advertisment for the Greek Isles shows the houses of Santorini surrounded by the beautiful blue sea and the blue roofs of the churches!!! Santorini is perched on a very high clliff. We were there this past October. If you want beautiful pictures to cherish, I would recommend Santorini. But, if you enjoy seeing ruins then Akrotiri is your obvious choice.

Almost any advertisment for the Greek Isles shows the houses of Santorini surrounded by the beautiful blue sea and the blue roofs of the churches!!! Santorini is perched on a very high clliff. We were there this past October. If you want beautiful pictures to cherish, I would recommend Santorini. But, if you enjoy seeing ruins then Akrotiri is your obvious choice.

Luckily, the island is relatively small and you can do both in a day, assuming your ship is in port a decent amount of time (during the day, that is, when sites are open).

I can't understand those lines that pull into Santorini around 2pm and leave at 10pm....

Luckily, the island is relatively small and you can do both in a day, assuming your ship is in port a decent amount of time (during the day, that is, when sites are open).

I can't understand those lines that pull into Santorini around 2pm and leave at 10pm....

Thats what my ship is doing in October. So it makes it a little tough to see certain sites given the time of arrival/departure.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all. Prefer public transport when outside the U.S. (greater peace of mind for me personally). But there's no denying the efficiency of a car.

Our ship (Norwegian Jade) does arrive later in the day for Santorini - 1:30pm to 10:00pm. And I believe it's a tender port as will be Mykonos.

So on Mykonos I can tender in and pay for a local ferry to Delos vs. paying for the ship's excursion? I always try to avoid ship excursion prices if I can. Also prefer to do things at my own pace. Nor have it wasted with visits to shopping sites / factories I have no interest in.

Also wondering about seeing Olympia on our own from the port. I've been to Olympia before on an overland trip (believe I took the train and overnighted there), but never from the port.

Venice I'm having a tough time deciding about--worthy of a whole other thread. CruiseMom, the delightful Venice book you recommended that I now possess isn't "helping"--so many treasures to explore. :-) Guess I need to check "best of Venice in 1 or 2 Day" lists to help narrow down the choices.

We should have a good part of one day pre-cruise in Venice (hopefully arriving by train late morning). Then as much of a day as possible the day we embark.

Any suggestions of when to head to the ship? In domestic-to-me ports like Port Canaveral, I try to board as early as they'll let me, e.g. 11am to noon. Departure time in Venice is 6pm on a Saturday. Don't want to cut things too close. Or deprive myself of more Venice-time than I need to.

We disembark in Venice at 8am and have that whole day as a Venice Day (fly home the next day, a Sunday, in the morning).

Wondering if there are any "gotchas" planning visits to key sites in Venice, e.g. if certain ones are closed on a Fri or Sat. Or if certain ones are best visited earlier or later in the day, or required timed entry tickets (like the Vatican time entry tickets).

Still have homework to do so I can ask more focused questions.

Thanks to all. Prefer public transport when outside the U.S. (greater peace of mind for me personally). But there's no denying the efficiency of a car.

Our ship (Norwegian Jade) does arrive later in the day for Santorini - 1:30pm to 10:00pm. And I believe it's a tender port as will be Mykonos.

So on Mykonos I can tender in and pay for a local ferry to Delos vs. paying for the ship's excursion? I always try to avoid ship excursion prices if I can. Also prefer to do things at my own pace. Nor have it wasted with visits to shopping sites / factories I have no interest in.

Yes, you can get a ferry to Delos on your own. Be aware that the times are limited though, and the site is closed on Mondays. If your ship arrives in Mykonos after noon, you probably will only have one option for the ferry so you might consider the ship tour as a backup plan. Delos closes up tight around 3-4 pm in the afternoon and the last ferry will come back to Mykonos around that time. Here is a link with some info, but I'm not sure how updated; I believe the ferry times may be more limited now.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece/cyclades/delos/transport/getting-there-away

Also wondering about seeing Olympia on our own from the port. I've been to Olympia before on an overland trip (believe I took the train and overnighted there), but never from the port.

There is an express train from Katakolon to Olympia with limited service during peak tourist season. There is also a bus called Katakolon Express that some people have used. If you search this forum, you should be able to find more info on both.

Venice I'm having a tough time deciding about--worthy of a whole other thread. CruiseMom, the delightful Venice book you recommended that I now possess isn't "helping"--so many treasures to explore. :-) Guess I need to check "best of Venice in 1 or 2 Day" lists to help narrow down the choices.

We should have a good part of one day pre-cruise in Venice (hopefully arriving by train late morning). Then as much of a day as possible the day we embark.

Any suggestions of when to head to the ship? In domestic-to-me ports like Port Canaveral, I try to board as early as they'll let me, e.g. 11am to noon. Departure time in Venice is 6pm on a Saturday. Don't want to cut things too close. Or deprive myself of more Venice-time than I need to.

We disembark in Venice at 8am and have that whole day as a Venice Day (fly home the next day, a Sunday, in the morning).

Wondering if there are any "gotchas" planning visits to key sites in Venice, e.g. if certain ones are closed on a Fri or Sat. Or if certain ones are best visited earlier or later in the day, or required timed entry tickets (like the Vatican time entry tickets).

I don't have my Rick Steves Venice guide handy, but I don't think you have to worry about closures on Fridays or Saturdays. More likely to run into problems on Mondays & Tuesdays.

You can pre-reserve entry tickets to St. Marks for a small fee, which can save you some time if you're traveling during peak season. (Not that Venice isn't crowded most of the year......) For me, the Basilica and the Treasury (above) are both very worthwhile. The Doge's Palace is another must, IMO. Lots of people like the Secret Doge's tour, but I think the regular tour is better for a first time visitor.

I won't go further with suggestions, as Venice isn't really in my "era" of interest, but I would recommend you read several guidebooks. There's a lot more to Venice than just "wandering around" (even though that's also nice.)

Still have homework to do so I can ask more focused questions.

My thoughts above, for what they are worth!

A few things about Santorini:

1. Tendering: Disenbarking for independant arrangements on Santorini is very slow. All ships tender passengers to Santorini. The ship will first disenbark all passengers on ship excursions. These tours tender to a completely different location where busses can get to the waterfront. As a non-ship-tour passenger you don't even get tendered there and can't get off until that process is done. Sometimes the ship itself moves to the main tender area (with the cable car) after these passengers are off.

Therefore, just because the ship gets there at 1:30 pm doesn't mean you will be able to get off then. It's very frustrating so be prepared for that. Also, after you do tender to shore, there may be a line for the cable-car. You get the idea!

On a HAL cruise (OOdam) in 2009 it was at least an hour after arrival before "non-ship tour" passengers were even allowed to the tenders. We took the donkeys up the cliff that trip so I don't know if there was a cable car line. There are other posts on these boards about this process so you can learn more.

Some take ship tours in Santorini just to get off earlier and have more time on the island.

2. Akrotiri: Was there last June (2012). It is well done and interesting to see (if that kind of thing interests you). Remember it is not that large and can be seen fully in an hour or less.

BUT it is out in the middle of no-where. I did not see a single bus on the way to it or from it. You will either have to rent a car, ATV or other type vehicle or have a taxi take you and wait for you. Also, there were no vacant cabs At Akrotiri looking for fares. We used a taxi that waited for us and after Akrotiri we had him take us to an entrance to the fira-ioa walking trail and we walked the last hour into Ioa.

No matter what you decide to do, be in Ioa for Sunset! That is "picturebook" Santorini.

Enjoy, Santorini is one of our favorite places.

I was in Santorini in early May of last year. The Akrotiri ruins had only been reopend a couple of weeks. I am a very big archaeology fan and love all ruins.

While I am glad I went to Akrotiri, it was very underwhelming, compared to many of the ancient sites we have been to, including the terrace houses and Egypt. If you go, take a good guidebook that explains things; at the time we were there the signage was very inadequate, as far as I could tell there wern't any tour guides, and the booklets explaining the site were very lacking.

It may be that there is better information or guides there now that it has been open a while.

It is large but with little or no guidance/maps, it was hard to tell really what was what. There were only a few artifacts (some pots, large and small, mostly) in situ and I could not find any wall paintings (saw some in Athens though, from Akrotiri); I mostly just wandered around trying to figure out the city.

All that said, it is not very far to go there and back and there are other stops and great scenery along the way. An hour would be much more than I needed there.

We used a private company that basically provided transportation between places on the island; the driver did point out sites and talk about the various places we went, but we were on our own between transfers. It was cheap and easy.

Thank you for your comments on Akrotiri, I'll be on the Constellation in November. It appears that the on-site info is minimal. Were there guides for hire at the sire? Would you recommend booking a licensed guide in Akrotiri??

THANKS

• 2 months later...

Archived