Dress Code for Men

FlightMedic555

Please define "pants with a nice blouse". The answer to your question should be yes. A pants suit is fine. Nice slacks are fine. Jeans are not fine.

I'm guessing your wife's "pants with a nice blouse" would pass muster.

Mura

Thanks for the statistics here. We are going to Alaska, so the sport coat would add a bit of warmth. My wife however is more curious as to how the ladies dressed. "Country Club Casual" seems a bit to vague. Can she get away with pants and a nice blouse? She hates heels.

yes nice slacks or skirt & a nice top will be fine

No HEELS required;)

No beach type sandals/sneakers for dinner venues other than the TERRACE

Funny, I always wear Sperry Top siders around both on and off the ship during the day mostly. The typical price for a pair runs around $75.00 these days and is likely made in China. I was a little surprised when in NYC recently, we went into a Sperry store and found that they sell the "original" Sperry Top Sider, with all parts made in the USA to original specs. The price: a cool $350!

I think that perhaps you have to be an old school preppie to choose that pair!

Some people wonder why manufactures choose to outsource their labor overseas - they can't sell too many of these at $350 each.

My wife and I will be taking our first Oceania cruise ( Riviera ) in August. The brochure requests no jeans in the restaurants. I like to wear smart dark jeans with smart jacket and smart shirt - never been a problem on Celebrity - what do you think the score will be on Oceania. Also will we get table for 2 in restaurants or will we need to share - we like to do a mixture of both.

My wife and I will be taking our first Oceania cruise ( Riviera ) in August. The brochure requests no jeans in the restaurants. I like to wear smart dark jeans with smart jacket and smart shirt - never been a problem on Celebrity - what do you think the score will be on Oceania. Also will we get table for 2 in restaurants or will we need to share - we like to do a mixture of both.

Oceania is NOT Celebrity so different rules apply

Yes you can request a table for 2 not a problem

I do not believe that the dark jeans will be acceptable, but you always will be able to get a table for two, although you may have to wait a bit for seating in the Grand Dining Room if you show up between 7:30 PM and 8:30 PM.

We've never had to wait for a table for two when arriving in GDR between 7:30 and 8:30. But we HAVE been given a table for two in those hours when we wanted to share.

It really depends on who has arrived when. They don't want to start a larger table if no one else is behind you, which is understandable. O does want the people at the table to be eating their courses simultaneously.

As to the jeans issue, yes, technically they are not permitted in the GDR but my husband has worn his nice jeans with a good top and never been kicked out. (He wouldn't consider wearing them in a specialty restaurant, of course.) But if your jeans have holes in them or are really faded, they won't pass muster.

And I guess it can depend on the maitre d's tolerance level that night.

Mura

We've never had to wait for a table for two when arriving in GDR between 7:30 and 8:30. But we HAVE been given a table for two in those hours when we wanted to share.

It really depends on who has arrived when. They don't want to start a larger table if no one else is behind you, which is understandable. O does want the people at the table to be eating their courses simultaneously.

As to the jeans issue, yes, technically they are not permitted in the GDR but my husband has worn his nice jeans with a good top and never been kicked out. (He wouldn't consider wearing them in a specialty restaurant, of course.) But if your jeans have holes in them or are really faded, they won't pass muster.

And I guess it can depend on the maitre d's tolerance level that night.

Mura

On Oceania, I fail to see the difference in degree of formality between the beautiful main dining room and specialty restaurants. I believe it is inappropriate to wear jeans in either location. Plenty of opportunity for eating in more casual dress in cafe area upstairs.

On Oceania, I fail to see the difference in degree of formality between the beautiful main dining room and specialty restaurants. I believe it is inappropriate to wear jeans in either location. Plenty of opportunity for eating in more casual dress in cafe area upstairs.

Your right they all have the same "Country Club Casual" requirement.

Leave the jeans at home or wear them for daytime or eat in the buffet

or have room service. Lots of choices with in the O rules. ;)

Please define "pants with a nice blouse". The answer to your question should be yes. A pants suit is fine. Nice slacks are fine. Jeans are not fine.

I'm guessing your wife's "pants with a nice blouse" would pass muster.

Mura

Colored pants and a blouse is her preferred choice, and comfortable shoes. I'm sure she will be fine.

We´re in Barcelona, just off Riviera this morning, home to Florida tomorrow. More then, but the sandals pictured previously not only passed muster, they are newly defined in the shipboard official desktop literature, "...no plastic or rubber sandals". I still would not wear open toe sandals.

On jeans, I know they pass muster on Celebrity (except for formal nights, which is somewhat silly), but while Oceania has no formal nights, it is always Country Club Casual. If you would consider wearing jeans to a country club dinner, then I guess you would find them acceptable. But, Oceania does not.

My husband and I have been on two long Oceania cruises - the Nautica from Singapore to Sydney in 2007 and the Insignia (the "late" Insignia :)) from Rio de Janeiro to Valpariso in 2012 - both of these were 19 day cruises and you want to pack economically. On the first cruise we packed to abide by all the dress code rules, and often found ourselves very over-dressed, especially since we enjoyed the Terrace much more than the Grand Dining Room. We were only good with the in-crownd for the New Year's Eve party.

For the second cruise, smart slacks and a top and "strappy" sandals for me and even smart jeans and a leather jacket with a good short-sleeved or long-sleeved for hubby was fine. The leather jacket came in handy round the tip of South America as the temperature went as low as 4 degrees Celcius, and even when we started putting on our outdoor jackets to the Terrace dining room, no one blinked. Since I did not hear any remarks from anyone, I am not really worried what they thought.

For the Grand dining room, a pair of smart slacks for hubby and my usual attire, with perhaps a little sparkle to dress up the blouse, also went down well and we never felt different. Yes and there are people who really dress up for the Toscana and the steak house restaurant, but then, each to their own. We donned our usual outfits for our meals there and our fellow passengers at our tables were equally low-key attired.

Country Club casual is just that. If you want to flaunt your wardrobe, do so. If you want to dress for a holdiay, that is also OK. There were even people more casually dressed, but they may have felt a bit out of sorts. We are die-hard O fans and will always be, although we are going on a river cruise this year, we will be back to O. Maybe even the Riveira, although we avoid large ships.

We are leaving tomorrow for 21 blissful nights on Nautica.

We have overpacked as usual but there is no sports jacket in any of the bags.

I have seen "dark" (eg black) jeans in the GDR on occasion but if we want to wear jeans we head to the Terrace. We usually avoid the GDR anyway.

As for Celebrity comparisons, I have found the women on a Celebrity cruise to be more "dressed up" on non formal nights than are the women on Oceania under the country club casual standard.

There are no fashion police on board. Most people on O have a "live and let live" approach. Only once did I ever see someone totally inappropriately dressed (track clothes) and no one said a thing. Guess that fellow did not do his research. On our last O cruise, one woman told me that she brought three long gowns because she did not know there were no formal nights. Another person who failed to do research.

It's good to pose these questions on CC to avoid such mistakes.

Thanks

We cannot wait to get back on Nautica!

Our first two cruises ever were on Nautica, so it retains a warm and central positive place in my memory. I always enjoy your postings because you are one of the seemingly few people who enjoys both Oceania and Azamara and does not feel the need to criticize one at the expense of the other, both offering great sailing experiences.

Pam

Archived