Would you cruise on Enchantment for $1000 less than Disney Dream?

Mandy923

I'm having the hardest time deciding on this.

Between 2 work schedules, and 3 kids schedules (one who will be a senior in HS). Our dates are not very flexible.

A little background: We are a family of 5. Mom/ Dad and 3 kids (ages 16, 7, 4).

We LOVE to cruise and thus far, have only been on RCCL ships. No complaints, we've had fabulous vacations every single time. We go at least once a year, but always try to swing a 2nd trip.

This year, I really wanted my younger 2 to experience some "Disney magic" while they were in that sweet spot age for princesses and pirates. So....

My original plan:

4 night on Disney Dream, leaving out of Port canaveral

Fly into MCO 2 days early

Stay at a Value resort (Animation Family suite) for 2 nights.

Take free Magical express from MCO to resort

WDW the following day

Next Morning Cruise. Pay the $35/pp shuttle fee to get us to Port

After cruise pay for Disney shuttle back to MCO

HOWEVER- The pricetag for Disney, is, as we all know- usually higher than RCCL or others (idk, bc I only really look at RCCL)

So here's my question. I could essentially do the same exact trip. With the value resort- and day at WDW

But get on the Enchantment of the Seas (same day, same iteneray- except Castaway Cay of course)

for $1000 less.

I'm really tempted to do this. Bc, Well- $1000 is $1000.

But I DO want to get on a Disney ship one of these days too.

This would be the second year I talked myself out of it- simply based on the huge price difference.

So what do ya think CCers'

Enchantment a great ship for families!? Is it worth $1000 more to get on the Dream?!

We've sailed:

Soveriegn of the seas

Majesty of the seas

Jewel of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas

Freedom of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas

But NO VISION Class! So THis would be a new ship for us.

Help me decide!!

I would throw the mouse over for $1000.

How much would you save comparing apples to apples? (2 connecting OV vs 2 connecting OV)

but I'm not cruising with kids and I really like the Enchantment

EN is my first Royal ship and I am torqued she is leaving Baltimore.

the 16 year old might be bored, especially if the rock climbing wall is closed due to high winds or crappy weather

Is Disney worth another grand on top of actually doing a land visit? Honestly, having also sailed Disney, I'd say no. especially since i bet for more money you get a lower category stateroom than EN nets you(OV instead of balcony, for instance.)

While Disney does adult only way better, their food options were honestly extremely disappointing. as in I went hungry a few times. never had that issue on EN, especially now that Park Cafe is open.

I just made a similar decision, and cancelled my transatlantic with DCL and booked one on RCI's Adventure of the Seas. It will be my 16th cruise, and my first non-Disney. I saved over $1200, and went from an inside GTY on Wonder to an oceanview on AOS. I had to cancel the Disney cruise because of a work opportunity, so this is a good chance for me to try something different. I know that it isn't Disney, but everyone I've spoken to, including a very dear co-worker, assure me that I'll have a great time.

I don't think you said when you were sailing, but we're sailing on 4/21/13, and will be back home on 5/10/13, after five days in London after the cruise. I plan on posting a "comparative review" when I get home, if that will help you any!

Beth

Do the Enchantment. Use the $1000 towards drinks, dinners, activities, or excursions.

While she may enjoy it at the time, I can tell you first hand that a 4 year old will not remember a lot of the "Disney Magic". With that said, I'd wait a couple years and maybe do a couple days down at the different parks. She'll still enjoy it, and will have a lot more memories in years to come. Your oldest would probably still like Epcott, and the area that used to be Pleasure Island.

Yes- you're right. Comparing Apples to Apples- the difference is even higher. Close to $1400

I guess I should start reading some EN Reviews!

My teenager, actually sticks with me throughout the cruise. Which is just another reason I LOVE cruising vacations! Because let me tell you, I RARELY see my active teen otherwise. Between School, her P/T job, Swim Team, Color Guard, Drama, Friends!

So her being bored isn't really a concern for me. My littlest one spends a few hours each day in the kids club, and the rest in the pool or just hanging out with us.

My 7yr old son- if the kids club is open. He wants to be there!

One thing that did seem nice to me on Disney- is my 2 youngest would be together in the Oceeneer's lab/whatever the other part is called LOL.

Where on RCCL they are seperate. Not really a big deal, but I think my younger one would love to be with her brother.

I agree that a thousand is a good bit of change. If you are HUGE drinkers than Disney might become a little cheaper because you area allowed to take your own booze (not just two bottles) and sodas are part of the price.

It still won't even out but it is something you could figure in.

Can I give you a little advice about something else? We did something like this a few years ago and we actually found it was a lot more reasonable to rent a car the entire time through hotwire.com. Prices fluctuate GREATLY so I just watched them everyday.

Then I booked a room the night before the cruise at a 2.5 star there. I can't remember the exact name but I know it was not the radisson. Something along the lines of comfort in. free breakfast, free parking while on the cruise and free transport (about 2 min) to the cruise terminal. Plus not having to deal with magic express and all those shuttles. I know you didn't ask for this advice but I saw all that and it looked exhausting. You could go to Disney for that entire day then make the hour drive to Port canaveral and stay in that hotel the night before.

Okay back to the subject. As a previous poster said, I wasn't all that impressed by Disney food. It is not fantastic. Disney ships are great but I don't feel they are better than RCL. It is a very understated elegance. Maybe I like overstated elegance. My kids loved the kids club but they have nothing to compare it to. I just don't think there was anything that spectacular other than the characters to get us aboard. I like that Disney has pagers to give parents for the kids and I also like that their hours for the kids clubs are SOOOOO much more open ended and not in sessions. We are taking the kids on their first RCL cruise in a month so I don't have their opinion on which club they liked better or which ship. There is no doubt your younger kids will love it but the older would probably be bored. Quite honestly I was a little bored on a 4 day Disney trip myself. I didn't feel like there was all that much to do on board. I would sail with Disney again if the price were right but personally to me it is not worth the extra.

Debbie

We're DVC members, and big lovers of the Mouse. We've done DCL once...and all cruises since have been with Royal. For our upcoming cruise for this year, we priced both....and for our family of five it was almost an $8000 difference, and still a downgrade in rooms. Like I said....I love the Mouse, but NOT that much! So we'll use that $8000 and go to Disney separately!

I'd see the mouse, then save your $1000 for extras at the parks, or on the Royal cruise!

We're DVC members, and big lovers of the Mouse. We've done DCL once...and all cruises since have been with Royal. For our upcoming cruise for this year, we priced both....and for our family of five it was almost an $8000 difference, and still a downgrade in rooms. Like I said....I love the Mouse, but NOT that much! So we'll use that $8000 and go to Disney separately!

I'd see the mouse, then save your $1000 for extras at the parks, or on the Royal cruise!

Wow $8,000? That could easily be two more 7 night Disney trips. Ridiculous. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disney as well. The parks. Disney is leaving out of Galveston the same week we are cruising and yet we are actually driving a much longer distance to get on RCL. I don't know what it was, but i just could not get jazzed about doing Disney again. We loved it but been there done that now.

MS52: THANK YOU for that link- What a fun review! I'm going to finish it later, when I'm not at work :)

Debbie- That was helpful advice, about the car. Thanks! I was wondering about renting one. THat's actually what we normally do, but the magic express just seemed so easy and no thought required :)

But you're right. If I found a hotel that let us park for free. That would be perfect. I assume any of the close hotels to Port canaveral offer shuttle buses to their hotels AFTER the cruise?

I really do think we are going to try and have some Disney magic AT WDW and some RCCL magic on the enchantment....

I really do enjoy planning our cruise vacations. Anybody else feel that way? Really Love to plan, almost as much as go?

Wow $8,000? That could easily be two more 7 night Disney trips. Ridiculous. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disney as well. The parks. Disney is leaving out of Galveston the same week we are cruising and yet we are actually driving a much longer distance to get on RCL. I don't know what it was, but i just could not get jazzed about doing Disney again. We loved it but been there done that now.

EXACTLY. So, we're doing two WDW trips in 2013 also. :D (But will most likely take 2014 off from Disney. I'm hoping for a Bermuda cruise or Europe that year)

Last June we took our two daughters and SILs, 4 granddaughters - 12, 11, 9, 9 on the Disney Dream. We spent two Days in Orlando pre-cruise and spent the night before the cruise in Cocoa Beach. Took the motel shuttle to the cruiseport.

We are RCL D+ and never stayed in a suite and only 1 three day trip. We have not been on the Enchantment but have been on the other classes of ships and will be on the Allure in two weeks.

Having said that, we loved the Disney cruise. We actually thought the food was excellent - no one ever said a bad thing about anything we ate. The attention paid to the kids at dinner was amazing and even though you go to a different dining room at night the waiters follow you so you still have the same ones every night.

Our two oldest granddaughters were really the only ones who took advantage of the kid clubs. The other two don't get along very well and they have very different interests so they mostly stayed with us which was fine as all they really wanted to was swim.

They did not attend the character breakfast but did see nearly all the characters when they were roaming around the ship. The captain was very visible and answered every question the 8 year old asked him.

They loved the evening entertainment (as did the adults) and are still talking about it. The level of service we received from the time we got off the shuttle until we were back in our car at the hotel after the cruise was unbelievable. My Dh said that RCL could definitely take some advice from Disney on boarding, dining room service, food, entertainment for kids, etc.

Now, having said all that, we absolutely love RCL and have never had bad food or service except for disembarking at times. The service on Disney was just different from RCL in a way we really liked.

If the price were less we would definitely take another Disney cruise. I did open a can of worms with that cruise, though. Now our daughters are both planning on other cruises in a year or two whether they can really afford it or not. And, they want the Oasis!

Only you can decide if the price difference is worth it. To us, it definitely was for a once in a lifetime occasion.

I have never been on Disney cruises so I can not speak to them. We love WDW and have taken our kids a couple of times. The first time our twins were 11.5 years and the youngest was 5 years old. All three had a great time. But, the youhger one does not remember anything about the trip except riding space mountain. He was JUST tall enough to get on the ride. [He is a dare devil]

If you spend all of that money on a Disney cruise--I would want them to remember it. LOL

PS--we have sailed the ENOTS 3 times out of Baltimore. She is a beautiful ship. When they "stretched" her a few years ago they created a very nice pool deck. I have since sailed on the Radiance and the Explorer. While they are larger than the Enchantment I still like the EN pool deck better.

There is an indoor pool in the Solarium that is adults only--but, the age begins at 16. :) So the older teen will love that.

There is a nice preschool area on the main pool deck where the kids run/walk through the water spray. This is a nice area for when the younger 2 want to be near you.

I have never done the rock wall. But, I did try the bungee/trampoline thing. It was a lot of fun.

Oh- And forgot to mention.

THe $1000 difference. That is for 2 connecting OV on Dream vs 2 connecting Balconies on Enchantment.

Interesting. I would love to try Disney once, but you pay such a huge premium. When you are staying in Orlando, are you going to visit the parks? That may be good enough to get the Disney magic and then take the Royal ship. It is a lot of money to have to go down from a Balcony to a Outside.

Then again, your kids are young once, so maybe this is the right time to get those magical memories.

Last June we took our two daughters and SILs, 4 granddaughters - 12, 11, 9, 9 on the Disney Dream. We spent two Days in Orlando pre-cruise and spent the night before the cruise in Cocoa Beach. Took the motel shuttle to the cruiseport.

We are RCL D+ and never stayed in a suite and only 1 three day trip. We have not been on the Enchantment but have been on the other classes of ships and will be on the Allure in two weeks.

Having said that, we loved the Disney cruise. We actually thought the food was excellent - no one ever said a bad thing about anything we ate. The attention paid to the kids at dinner was amazing and even though you go to a different dining room at night the waiters follow you so you still have the same ones every night.

Our two oldest granddaughters were really the only ones who took advantage of the kid clubs. The other two don't get along very well and they have very different interests so they mostly stayed with us which was fine as all they really wanted to was swim.

They did not attend the character breakfast but did see nearly all the characters when they were roaming around the ship. The captain was very visible and answered every question the 8 year old asked him.

They loved the evening entertainment (as did the adults) and are still talking about it. The level of service we received from the time we got off the shuttle until we were back in our car at the hotel after the cruise was unbelievable. My Dh said that RCL could definitely take some advice from Disney on boarding, dining room service, food, entertainment for kids, etc.

Now, having said all that, we absolutely love RCL and have never had bad food or service except for disembarking at times. The service on Disney was just different from RCL in a way we really liked.

If the price were less we would definitely take another Disney cruise. I did open a can of worms with that cruise, though. Now our daughters are both planning on other cruises in a year or two whether they can really afford it or not. And, they want the Oasis!

Only you can decide if the price difference is worth it. To us, it definitely was for a once in a lifetime occasion.

I know I'm in the minority but I have to agree with this poster.

We took our grandson on a Disney cruise three years ago and if you can afford it, I say go for it. It was an amazing few days and the shows on board are incredible.

As we exited the ship the last day, the captain was at the door saying good-bye!

We'd love to do it again but the cost is :eek:; our children can only travel during school holidays.

Good luck.

I know I'm in the minority but I have to agree with this poster.

We took our grandson on a Disney cruise three years ago and if you can afford it, I say go for it. It was an amazing few days and the shows on board are incredible.

As we exited the ship the last day, the captain was at the door saying good-bye!

We'd love to do it again but the cost is :eek:; our children can only travel during school holidays.

Good luck.

Oh yes. I forgot that. The shows were great. $250 more per day great for a family I do not know? And yes although I thought the food was just okay the service on the entire ship was beyond nice. I even turned in a frame for each kid and had every "character" sign it and they returned it to my room the last night.

I know this is the RCCL board :D, and we are taking our kids on Navigator OTS in June, but given the ages of your kids (at least the 7 and 4 year olds), I'd have to vote for the Dream. We just got off the Dream two weeks ago - it is a gorgeous ship, the food was great, the service was as expected from Disney, and my kids (14 and 10) had a great time, even though they are past the age of character greetings and princesses.

My only RCCL cruise so far was on Vision, and that was pre-kids, so I can't speak to Enchantment. But no one does kids' stuff like Disney, particulary for kids who are preschool to elementary age. My kids cruised DCL the first time when my kids were 7 and 4, and they were all about the characters, the shows, the Mickey slide, the Disney movies on the big screen - there wasn't anything that wasn't just right for them. It was nice to see the shows as a family and not worry about content and costumes.

The Dream kids' club is fabulous - wish they had such an elaborate kids' area on the Wonder when my kids were 7 and 4.

The Dream also has a very nice teen club, so your 16 year old will not feel left out, and the Aquaduck is very fun.

Last thing - Castaway Cay is heaven on earth for kids and adults. The ship docks, so no tender hassles. There are water slides that dump into the lagoon, floats, snorkeling, a splash area, and a beach kids' club.

My kids now want ziplines and rock walls, but DCL is tough to beat at 7 and 4 years old. They are only young once.

Archived