New all included drinks package...worth it?

Dan1113

With just a couple months to go I was looking at the drinks packages, and I noticed that now there are these all included packages (on top of the wine ones -- which I always thought were so expensive anyway).

At 55 dollars per day (with the 15% tip they charge when you book), you get beers under 6.25 (so really about 7.20 with the tip), wine by the glass, and soft drinks.

So that would work out to something like 6 beers per day plus a couple soft drinks or whatever. Other than the day at sea, I imagine we'll be having lunch somewhere on shore. 6 a day seems like a good amount...haha.

How much are drinks on board? And what sort of beers are under 6.25? I went on RC chat but they weren't able to give me any sort of drinks list - how convenient, haha. Just trying to figure out if this package is worth it or if we'd be cheaper just buying individual drinks.

With just a couple months to go I was looking at the drinks packages, and I noticed that now there are these all included packages (on top of the wine ones -- which I always thought were so expensive anyway).

At 55 dollars per day (with the 15% tip they charge when you book), you get beers under 6.25 (so really about 7.20 with the tip), wine by the glass, and soft drinks.

So that would work out to something like 6 beers per day plus a couple soft drinks or whatever. Other than the day at sea, I imagine we'll be having lunch somewhere on shore. 6 a day seems like a good amount...haha.

How much are drinks on board? And what sort of beers are under 6.25? I went on RC chat but they weren't able to give me any sort of drinks list - how convenient, haha. Just trying to figure out if this package is worth it or if we'd be cheaper just buying individual drinks.

Beer starts at $4.25, plus 15%. They have over 40 varieties of beer on board, and there are only 4 or 5 that are over $6.25.

Thanks! Good to know. What about wine and soft drinks? I guess "tap" water is free?

The package is sounding very expensive...I am sure there is a logic behind it but surely there's not too many people that would get to the 45+15% tip per day to break even?!

It really depends on how you define "worth it". I know that I would either save money, break even, or come rather close to doing so. But to me the "worth it" part is the convenience. Having done it on Celebrity, not having to sign all those stupid slips was great.

That being said, convenience is what I'm after, and so far, it sounds like RCI is really lacking compared to the Celebrity package. No paying just the difference on drinks over the limit. No specialty coffees. No bottled water. No fresh squeezed orange juice.

Even the bottled wine package for dinner seems like a lot...works out to £20 per night for one bottle (31 USD), which is crazy I think. :o British prices are much higher than American ones too so I can only imagine what most Americans on these cruises think of the alcohol prices!! And that's not including the 15%.

I guess it's pretty much impossible to bring your own alcohol onboard (not when you first get on as I know they check then, but after visiting the first port or something)?

Worth it to me would be to at least break even. Which is hard to figure out when they don't provide you with any sort of list of the normal prices of wine bottles, wine by the glass, coke, etc.! Coffee at breakfast doesn't seem to be included (unless that's free anyway) so that's not a factor.

Edited by Dan1113

Thanks! Good to know. What about wine and soft drinks? I guess "tap" water is free?

The package is sounding very expensive...I am sure there is a logic behind it but surely there's not too many people that would get to the 45+15% tip per day to break even?!

If beer is your drink of choice, you can get the $45 package. 6-7 beers a day, a few fountain sodas by the pool, and a glass or two of house wine with dinner would more than make it worthwhile

According to the flyer on the RC site, the premium package includes all beers. http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_package_flyer_faq.pdf

I'm planning on getting the premium package for my upcoming May cruise. BF will have to purchase too. But he's a imported/craft beer drinker and I'm a foo-foo girl. I like the idea that I can order what I want and if I happen to not like it after a sip or two, there's no loss.

And really, "worth" is a relative word. For us, it's worth it. Others would call us nutso for spending over $700 for a week of drinking. I figure we've already got a deal on the ship (which includes food, entertainment, a room).

Edited by clcurry

For us is not worth it, we simply don't drink that much to justify the asking price. In addition to that when you're on port and de embark then you're essentially not using the package until you get back on board and you have to catchup with the package.

That said, I am sure the package is worth it for a lot of people that drink that and more. I been reading a lot in the Carnival section and there is a lot of people that claim that is the best deal ever, I can only imagine what their alcohol tab for the cruise would be without it.

Hi just another thought about Drink, if you are cruising in the Med they add 10% Spanish waters tax to drinks too so add 25% to the cost of a drink - it adds up

This only applies if you're cruise doesn't leave the EU, so if you're going to Gibraltar then you are exempt from the Spanish Tax.

It would be worth it to me if there was no ports of call. :)

We met a lovely couple on the ship who were not getting off at any ports of call, because they determined they would need to drink 8 alcoholic beverages a day to get their money's worth...and they were planning on getting their money's worth!!!

They stayed on the ship at every port and told us their first drinks were at 8am.

I can't imagine how anyone can drink that much for 7 days in a row...but I guess if that's your thing, then go for it.

Is this good for all cruises now or just ones leaving certain ports? I had thought it was one overseas only but one poster mentioned doing it on their May cruise and that one goes out of Florida.

I know it might be pricey but I like to have things paid for before I leave :) and this will help out :)

EDIT: Nevermind maybe I should look to see if I can book it now :) It is there when I look so now I just need to talk to DH and see if we think it is a good idea.

Edited by cruisecraze96

We have both the $45 and $55 package available on our repositioner this April (San Juan to Baltimore). It is a 9 day cruise so there is no way the cost makes sense.

I am intrigued by one thing with these packages.... what if one person in your cabin is pregnant? I totally get that all parties in the room must be on the same package (so no sharing drinks), but what if one person cant drink?

We have both the $45 and $55 package available on our repositioner this April (San Juan to Baltimore). It is a 9 day cruise so there is no way the cost makes sense.

I am intrigued by one thing with these packages.... what if one person in your cabin is pregnant? I totally get that all parties in the room must be on the same package (so no sharing drinks), but what if one person cant drink?

Those with a medical condition are exempt. This is explained in thei faq.

As for the EU tax, my understanding is that it is just for cruises out of Spain. We left from Rome and did not have to pay it.

Hi just another thought about Drink, if you are cruising in the Med they add 10% Spanish waters tax to drinks too so add 25% to the cost of a drink - it adds up

So is this only if you are sailing from Spain or to Spain? We will be Rome, Crete, Greece, Turkey, etc but never Spain. So we won't have this tax?

We figure the MOST we ever spent and felt we had all we wanted to drink the tab for 7 days for both of us was less than $400. This amount is excessive for us. We will probably buy a bottle or 2 of wine for dinner, then add the gatherings with some free drinks plus a few of our own, then we will be good. I personally am not fond of paying to feel bad the next day or to be ill. ;)

So is this only if you are sailing from Spain or to Spain? We will be Rome, Crete, Greece, Turkey, etc but never Spain. So we won't have this tax?

We figure the MOST we ever spent and felt we had all we wanted to drink the tab for 7 days for both of us was less than $400. This amount is excessive for us. We will probably buy a bottle or 2 of wine for dinner, then add the gatherings with some free drinks plus a few of our own, then we will be good. I personally am not fond of paying to feel bad the next day or to be ill. ;)

This is the itinerary we did, you will not have to pay the EU tax on your sailing.

Even the wine seems crazily priced though - the 7 bottles package which I was looking at (1 per night) was working out to something like 36 dollars per bottle! :eek: And buying this online is supposedly cheaper than on the night.

Edited by Dan1113

Even the wine seems crazily priced though - the 7 bottles package which I was looking at (1 per night) was working out to something like 36 dollars per bottle! :eek: And buying this online is supposedly cheaper than on the night.

Check out some of the other threads on the drinks packages.

I was totally sold on the premium package for my up coming 14 night cruise even though it was going to cost $1540 for the 2 of us:eek:! But there seems to be a different spin on what you can have and what you cannot have depending on which ship you cruise on?

The premium package at $55 pp per day has so far puzzled some as it is supposed to include all "Well,Call and Premium Cocktails and all Beers" but some have been denied:

Some Premium beers and Fosters oil can

Martinis

Margaritas made with patron (Royal Ritas)

Any cocktails over $8.

And the house wine by the glass included is not nice according to many.

Being mainly a beer drinker the package was still worth it to me even though you are actually paying over the odds on shore days because i would have tried quite a few drinks I normally wouldn't buy on board because of the price but if I was limited to only certain drinks then for me it defeats the purpose as i can spend a lot less just drinking what i know and paying as i go.

If All drinks "as advertised" are in actual fact included I will purchase the package:)

All cruises charge a huge premium for wine so we cant really moan about it on RCI

Den