What do you remember about your first cruise? What hooked you?

banshee72

My wife and I will be going on our second cruise on March 16th (Independence). Our first cruise was seven years ago...a five nighter on Enchantment. I didnt really want to go on a cruise, but my wife convinced me...hooked since. While I do have memory issues, there are a few highlights that I remember for 7 years ago. Here are just a few things I remember from the trip.

1) First of all we left behind our three boys (3,3,and 2) with their grandparents. Mom and Dad needed a much needed break and we got it. I was amazing how refreshed we felt after a week of relaxation

2) We stayed at the Renaissance hotel the night before (flew in from Columbus, OH). As soon as we checked in we walked out onto the balcony of our room and heard very loud...."happy noises" coming from a room below us. I think someone forgot to close their balcony door. We're relatively young and not at pludish so we just smiled....and thought, when in Rome Late that night around 2 ish. We were awoken by the same kind "happy noises" in the room next door. Once again not a big deal. Was a little shocked is the morning as we were coming back from breakfast, we saw the couple leaving her room next to ours. they had to have been 70. Nothing wrong with that...not at all...just a little taken aback. They were both smiling, and I knew why :-)

3) Dont remember waiting in line to embark but remember employees trying to coax us to by a specialty drink....which of course we bought..why? cause we're on vacation and thats all the reason we needed. The first thing I remember about the ship was the grand stairway. I just just so impressed with how grand everything was.

4) I know the rooms were going to be small so I was expecting that. What I didnt realize is how much difference a balcony makes. I saw some interior rooms through open doors and I dont think I could ever do it. LOVED our balcony and will never cruise without one. The room was just fine for the both of us.

5) As much a I did NOT want to go on a cruise, I found that I actually liked the at sea days just as much (if not more) than those at port. I just loved exploring the ship and stopping at different bars to watch/ and talk to people.

6) Mojitos. I had never had a mojito before the cruise and havent had one that comes close since. I forget which bar it was (Schooner?) but the bartended made the best mojitos. Was there frequently...daily. The bartender started calling me M&M (mojito man)...he did it with a smile and great service. I always gave him an extra tip so I recieved fast service with a smile.

7) Adult coloring. Yes, this was actually a planned activity on board. Sounded so silly that the two of us had to check it out. Had to be one of the most relaxing hour on the ship. Have checked several compass's since and have not seen it listed. I can understand why, because it was not very popular (go figure) but I would gladly do it all over.

8) I just loved the ship. Loved the employees, the other passengers...the overall atmoshere...the only downfall is that I fear our next cruise wont live up to our first.

9) Liked the ports for different reasons. In Jamaica we took a bus ride to an all inclusive resort for the day. I love to see the actual culture so as we spent the 45 min ride to the resort, I was in wonder watching the run down building and open air bars and markets. It's crazy when you compare how we live in the states to those in nations like Jamaica. The beautiful thing about it is they seem perfectly happy with what they have. They dont seem worried about computers, cell phones, or even tv. They seem to live a simple life and enjoy it just the way it is.

Anyway, the resort a bar that was included. They made weak drinks so I often asked for a double. The beach was fun and lots of colorful fish close to the shore. The ride back was eventful and comical and a little sad and dengerous) as a your teenage girl (14 or 15 maybe) had helped herself to some drinks while on the beach and took up conversation with about everybody on the bus and insisted on fist bumping everybody. If she would have been of age, it would have just been kind of funny, but at her age it was a little worrisome (although I wasnt exactly and angel at her age). Anyway, we found out that she was there with a friend and her friends family. They had no idea she had been drinking until we boarded the bus when it became apparent.

I liked Jamaica but had no use for the touristy are right off the pier. The last thing I want to do when I go another country is to go to a Margaritaville. I'm sure that there are others that love it...just not for me.

Didnt like the island of Grand Cayman at all. Thought it was waaay too commercialized. Did think the Sting Ray excursion was AMAZING though. Would do that again in a heartbeat. We were one of the first boats there and there had to be hundreds of them swimming up to us. Just incredible.

10) Chops: Maybe I dont get out enough but that had to be one of the best steaks I have ever had.

I could go on, but, no need to put you to sleep with my rambling. REALLY looking forward to March 15th when our plane leaves Grand Rapids, MI....at 6 AM. In fort Laudedale by noon and we have about a full day before we board. The boys are now 10,10 and 9...same grandparents will be watching them...and once again...mom and dad need a break :-)

Going to bed in the cabin, feeling the motion from the waves, reading next days cruise compass, thinking isn't life just perfect. Then wake up in a new destination that I never thought I would get the chance to visit.... #thatfeeling

I cruised some with family growing up. My husband had never been on a cruise but wanted to go on one. He surprised me with a trip on Carnival's Imagination.

So, I realize this sounds very odd, but seeing his excitement before the cruise, and his amazement during it made me realize that cruising would sometomes be a good vacation for us.

Ooohhhh...this is a tough one because I can think of so many things. It was my first cruise and also my first vacation with my then serious boyfriend (he's now my husband). First and foremost, he surprised me and proposed on the cruise. I'll never forget that! I loved all of the staff and was sad to leave them. Amazed at getting to see so many different places that I never thought I would get to see. Before my first cruise, I had only ever been to New Jersey beaches and had never left the U.S. so this was all very exciting. Now I'm an addict and nothing will ever stop me!

Thinking how big the ship looked - and it was the Monarch! (Can't imagine what a first time cruiser on an Oasis class ship must think.) Waking up in the morning and being in a different beautiful place. (Still love that.)

My fifteenth anniversary of that first cruise is coming up. What a great time I have had since my introduction.

By the way, here's an example of how times have changed. The friend that first planned to go with me had to cancel so I had the travel agent change the reservation. Instead of cancelling my friend, she cancelled me. I didn't know that until I got to the pier (she never sent new documents). Anyway, we fixed the problem at check in. Can't imagine doing that now.

I also started that cruise married. My ex went to court sometime during that week so I ended the cruise single.

My first cruise was for my honeymoon 20 years ago. We were very young then and since we paid for our own wedding we decided to save money and go with an inside cabin on the Celebrity Zenith. She only had about a year in service.

Our Interior cabin felt like a Grand Suite, I still remember Whitney's Houston song "I Will Always Love You" in my head from the movie "The Bodyguard" playing over and over again in our cabin. I hung my wedding flower bouquet on a hook for the entire cruise and the cabin smelled wonderful with the sweet fragrance of freesia.

Although we spent a lot of time in our cabin (it was our honeymoon) ;) , one of my favorite memories is me winning the "Pillow Pole Pool Contest" against my husband. This was a contest where there was a pole put over the pool in which 2 competitors (each holding a pillow) sat on and had to knock the other off the pole with a pillow into the pool. :eek:

They first did all of the men against each other then the women against each other. Surprisingly, my husband won in the man category and I won in the woman category. When the crowd found out that we were newlyweds and on our honeymoon they cheered us on and the game host asked if we would compete against each other. Of course we agreed, and with the host's help (he was holding my feet so I couldn't fall), I won. ;)

The only negative part of our entire cruise was my flower bouquet dying slowly towards the end because this meant that our cruise was almost over. :(

What got us hooked??? EVERYTHING

We felt like we were on the Titanic....what a cruise, the best ever!!! :)

My first cruise was on the Carnival inspiration and I was hooked! The 24 hour food buffet...the drink guys by the pool knowing my name, and the rocking of the ship at night!

Oh and waking up in a new place doesn't hurt either!

Looking up, up, up to the top deck , it seemed sooooooo BIG! Rhapsody!:D

The next hook was the deep blue color of that water out in the Gulf whizzing by with a frothy foam topping....mezmerizing!

And the real hook was...no house cleaning, no cooking, no nutin honey...but lounging on the pool deck!:D

My 1st cruise was nothing special , cruise to nowhere are a ok ship do not even remember the name , second cruise on Rotterdam was something else very elegant ship leaving out of nyc in June 1977. Everything was special , other great ships were Norway and Sovereign of the Seas in the 1980s’s. I find nothing that special about most of the current ships.

1986 - 3 days Bahamas cruise on the old Dolphin IV with my wife as a surprise for our 2nd anniversary.

Caught the flu a day before - sailed anyway.

Checked into our bargain basement cabin - walked in to find bunk beds!

Left Port of Miami towards Bahamas during a big storm. Became seasick on top of the flu. Spent the night in my bunk as sick as I have ever been in my life.

Arrived in the Bahamas and took a trip to Blue Lagoon Island for snorkeling. Had the brilliant idea of snorkeling on the side of the island labeled "no snorkeling". Got raked over a coral reef. Trip to the ship's infirmary.

That evening we couldn't afford cab fare to Paradise Island so we played ping pong on deck until 2AM.

Youngest cruisers on that ship by at least 20 years.

Still had an absolute blast. Our next cruise was on the Nordic Empress (RCI) 5 years later. Much better experience and have been cruising each year at least once a year ever since!

I remember that we started out ... hating it! It was a 5 or 6 day to Bermuda.

The ship was late leaving.

The weather was crappy. Overcast, rainy, chilly.

Deck chairs were not put out/down.

We did an excursion in Bermuda. The drive scared the crap out of me.

Then ... as we were heading home the sun came out, and the mood on the whole ship changed.

We did not cruise again for 2 years. The deal was sealed ... we loved it, and we have sailed every year since.

Sovereign was our first ship, too... It was a bit chilly at sailaway, so we went to the Viking Crown Lounge....360 degree views from there....one of the best VCL's in RCI's fleet, IMO!

The pool band was a true Steel Drum band...so much fun! Lots of entertainment all the time, everywhere!

The dining room was still quite "classy" back in those days (early 90's)....full place settings of real silver and crystal glasses....very upscale!

It was those things that "hooked" us.....our weather was crummy the entire trip, so we returned as white as when we left!

I remember how excited we were when we saw the ship start to pull away from the dock at sailaway. Couldn't feel a thing or sense any movement yet, but we were so excited!

How I loved (and still do) sitting on the balcony and staring out at the vast sea all around us.

Feeling the movement of the ship as we went to sleep each night...like being rocked to sleep.

We were hooked and try to take at least one cruise vacation a year. In fact, I have to force myself to take land based vacations because cruises are so easy and relaxing.

Our first cruise was on Mariner of the Seas when it was just a couple months old. I was hooked instantly. I loved the shows, the service in the dining room, the art work throughout the ship.

The beds weren't very comfy then, but we slept like logs anyway in the gently rolling ocean.

Then I discovered how I loved being on deck to watch us come into port. I loved the ocean and the color of the waves. I loved the pure air. It was so refreshing. I really appreciated all the live music on board. The orchestra was bigger then. I think it was a twelve piece orchestra. Now they are nine-piece.

I really appreciated having to unpack bags only once, but being able to go so many places. It was great having someone clean the room everyday. I think they changed sheets every couple of days then.

And, oh, yes, those wonderful sunrises and sunsets at sea...fabulous.

My first cruise was to Alaska and it was AMAZING! The scenery, the weather, the never-ending days. I still chuckle at the pics taken outside at around 2 a.m. and you would think it was mid-day :) Took an excursion to a glacier via helicopter which was insane. I brought back some glacial rocks which was cool (I have a thing for rocks). The midnight all-you-can-eat chocolate buffet thingy was crazy as well!!! Loved it all!

I said I would never go on a cruise because I get seasick but was hooked...

Explorer of the Seas....

The band playing reggae music by the pool on our first cruise to Caribbean..."You are my angel, my darling angel...."

The ocean, the ship, The Quest, singing waiters, baked alaska! :D

19 cruises later and no plans to stop cruising :D

Boarding the Pride of Aloha in Honolulu, and hearing the pool band playing Hawaiian music with the skyline of Honolulu in the background as the sun was setting.

It's like a youtube video playing over and over in my head when I want it.

Norovirus EEEKKKK! yep my first cruise ever was an 8 night caribbean, 2 of which I was quarantined in my room so sick I couldnt move and missed ports with my family. I thought never again oh dear lord never again... That was 3 years and 4 cruises ago, leaving for the Oasis on Saturday! LOL

Our first cruise was in 2007, it was our 10 year wedding anniversary and our first vacation since getting married. We sailed in August 2007 on the Freedom of the Seas and we renewed our wedding vows on the ship (new tux, wedding gown, the works). It was the best vacation ever and since first stepping foot on the ship, we were hooked on cruising the Pièce de résistance for us was the Flowrider. We have to sail on a ship with at least one Flowrider now and we even found one at a local water park so we can flowboard during the summer :p

We both even bought our own boards and take them with us when we sail. :D

Archived