Last tender back from Lahaina?

shepp

Planning the day in Maui. If the ship sets sail at 6:00, what time will the last tender leave shore? 5:00? 5:30? Anyone know for sure?
Plan to be at the dock no later than 5:00pm. Earlier, if possible in case you're delayed for some reason.

When we were at Lahaina, there was a second ship also sending tenders in and out of their little harbor. It really slowed things down. The Line for the tenders returning to the ship was very long from mid afternoon on. We took the snorkel excursion and didn't bring money with us. When we returned from the excursion, we wanted to poke around in the shops, etc but we didn't have our wallets. It took us a full hour to wait in line for a tender, return to the ship, grab our wallets and take the tender back (no line) to shore.

Everyone must be onboard at least 1/2 hour before sailing. The last tender is most likely going to be 40 to 45 mins prior to sailing (10 -15 min trip). As the posts above have stated, you would want to be in line for the last tender if not before, so make it 1 hour at least.:D

If you are on line at 5 PM, you will be fine. No matter how long the line takes to get to the tenders, nobody on line will be left behind.

I would not cut short an activity in a port you might never get back to just to avoid a line for tenders.

They'll post a time for the last tender back to the ship and just be dang sure to be in line before that time. They'll continue to run tenders until everyone in line is back onboard, even if it is later than the "published" last tender time. Just be sure your watch is set to ship's time...:eek:

Thanks, all. I guess I should plan on an activity that's supposed to get me back to the pier at 4:00, rather than another option that gets me there at 4:30. Less frazzling, and if I have time to kill, I can always shop for tourist dreck. :)

Thanks, all. I guess I should plan on an activity that's supposed to get me back to the pier at 4:00, rather than another option that gets me there at 4:30. Less frazzling, and if I have time to kill, I can always shop for tourist dreck. :)

If you are on a ship's tour it will not matter what time the tour returns as they will have you covered (by either waiting or getting you to the next port). :D

If you are on a ship's tour it will not matter what time the tour returns as they will have you covered (by either waiting or getting you to the next port). :D

Unless the weather starts getting iffy. Not sure if you won't get charged with a PVSA violation fee for not getting back on board in Maui, if you're on a ship's excursion, but definitely do not push it if you aren't. It's a major fine.

Unless the weather starts getting iffy. Not sure if you won't get charged with a PVSA violation fee for not getting back on board in Maui' date=' if you're on a ship's excursion, but definitely do not push it if you aren't. It's a major fine.[/quote']

The ship will most likely wait as it is their tour, you cannot be charged the fine, the cruiseline will have to take that responsibiltiy.:D

When we were at Lahaina, there was a second ship also sending tenders in and out of their little harbor. It really slowed things down. The Line for the tenders returning to the ship was very long from mid afternoon on. We took the snorkel excursion and didn't bring money with us. When we returned from the excursion, we wanted to poke around in the shops, etc but we didn't have our wallets. It took us a full hour to wait in line for a tender, return to the ship, grab our wallets and take the tender back (no line) to shore.

A little off topic but when you took the snorkel excursion was there someplace to change clothes either on the boat or on the dock???

I know that, but wasn't planning on a ship's tour. I was considering a whale watch with another operator - $23 vs. Princess' $59 - but since I already have a cheap car reserved and I've done whale watching several times (in higher season than the upcoming cruise), I might just blow off the whole thing and spend the day on the beach.

And on my recent cruise, I bought a pricey On Your Own bus trip to Antigua, figuring that if I just grabbed a taxi, I'd have to leave Antigua an hour earlier than the tour did to be safe, cutting down on my time in town. Instead, we sat in the Princess Theater for 90-some minutes, waiting for a delayed fleet of buses...so I lost that hour anyway, as well as a chunk of change.

Planning the day in Maui. If the ship sets sail at 6:00, what time will the last tender leave shore? 5:00? 5:30? Anyone know for sure?

Thx!

Just got back from a Hawaii cruise on the Golden. Checked my patters. Last tender back to the ship was 5:00PM.

I know that, but wasn't planning on a ship's tour. I was considering a whale watch with another operator - $23 vs. Princess' $59 - but since I already have a cheap car reserved and I've done whale watching several times (in higher season than the upcoming cruise), I might just blow off the whole thing and spend the day on the beach.

And on my recent cruise, I bought a pricey On Your Own bus trip to Antigua, figuring that if I just grabbed a taxi, I'd have to leave Antigua an hour earlier than the tour did to be safe, cutting down on my time in town. Instead, we sat in the Princess Theater for 90-some minutes, waiting for a delayed fleet of buses...so I lost that hour anyway, as well as a chunk of change.

I was just responding to Cruisin' Chick's post. That said, if people are worried about departure times and private excursions, then they do offer some security. I do a mixyure of both private, ship and do our own thing tours when in port, depending on which port and wether it is tendered and the time available.

A little off topic but when you took the snorkel excursion was there someplace to change clothes either on the boat or on the dock???

There is a bathroom. you can change in it but not great. Most women wore swimsuits under their clothes. If you have quick drying shorts you'll be dry by the time you get back to the dock. They have a fresh water rinse off on board when you come up out of the water.

The boat held a lot of people. Assuming Princess uses the same boat as last April, the seats are laid out like pews in a church. They did provide the gear. (We brought our own). Weather prevented us from making it out to Molokini crater so we went to the second sight first...turtle town. Spectacular sight. We swam in about 25 feet of water and most turtles were on the bottom but some swam to the surface. Here is a link to a pix

https://picasaweb.google.com/PVMeistrel/HawiianCruise#5750706719420310370

Feel free to glance at other pix from he cruise. I took off the privacy factor for a couple weeks.

They served a lunch buffet which I thought could be organized better. Make your own sandwich...so each person took time to put mayo, mustard, whatever and that led to a long slow line. So jump up quickly or sit and wait a while. Our second site was a back up site so nothing special. Half the people didn't go in again. We enjoyed it and it was shallower so lots more fish.

The wind that kept us from the Molokini crater also made it cool once wet. So bring a light jacket if you can manage it.

We're in Maui today on the Sapphire and even though we are the only ship in port it is very slow. We came back to the ship mid afternoon and they seemed to be only letting one tender into the dock at a time so as we left 3 others were sitting there waiting to get in. They have 6 tenders running but it doesn't help much when they are sitting around and can't get into the dock. I don't remember hearing when the last tender was to leave but I know they wanted everyone back on the ship by 5:30. Dave

Archived