If You are Flying From Logan for Your Cruise........

sail7seas

Happy to hear you and yours are safe and warm.

It is something I think about in these bad storms...... Even if police or fire want to come help, how can they? The plows kept our street 'useable' throughout the night but they worked as hard as I've ever seen. From what I have seen from my front window, it seems the City was prepared and did the best possible job under these circumstances.

One storm when we could not open our doors, I took out the top half of our storm door (top screen/storm is removeable) and bottom is metal and we had to shovel through the open top of the door until we removed enough weight of snow to be able to push the door open. No skinny kids here to 'make room'. I loved your 'make room for daddy'. :)

Be safe when you go to work. Don't become the emergency. :eek:

[Remember your Mom and me are 'very alike' you have mentioned!!!! :D]

I have some experience with the fire service down here. Not running calls any more but still involved as Treasurer. Maryland isn't a snow hot spot but we have a few big storms over the years. Police, fire, highway department, and sometimes the National Guard all work quite well together. If we get a call, one of the first things that will happen is to have a plow assigned to clear the way to the scene (and to the hospital if necessary). If things get too bad for that the National Guard will help out with either a humvee or tracked vehicle. Very tough times but some people make really heroic efforts.

We were lucky and this one just passed by us. We got some rain yesterday and a bit of wind today but nothing serious. My main concern now for you guys in Maritimes and New England is power, fingers crossed that it stays on.

Stay home and stay safe.

Roy

Well it's almost noon and the snow is still whipping around out there and coming down hard.

Our street hasn't been ploughed yet but we still have power so we're safe and warm.

Here's hoping the power stays on. I'm watching the news reports right now, unbelievable amounts of snow. Stay warm!!

We live in a condo in Boston's South End so no shoveling for us! I love the snow so watching it last evening was a treat. After dinner we went for a walk through the hood, since there were no cars and only the occasional plow we could walk down the middle of the usually busy streets. Everything was shut down tight except our favorite watering hole which we felt was our duty to patronize! Today will be a day full of nothing to do but watch the remains of the storm and comfort food. In the daylight the neighborhood is quite beautiful. Life is good!

I should note here that I'm not crazy but that I'm originally from Northern Michigan so this is just like the many I can remember growing up!

Stay safe in your travels everyone.

[/b] That sounds like the best possible way to 'weather the storm'. Sounds fun!!!..[/b]

Well it's almost noon and the snow is still whipping around out there and coming down hard.

Our street hasn't been ploughed yet but we still have power so we're safe and warm.

Good to hear you are safe and warm. We, too, are still getting measureable snow but it is not nearly as bad as it was. Hang in there, you're through the worst, most likely.

I'm so glad everyone is safe and has power. Imagine if we couldn't get on to CC.

Our plow guy hasn't come yet, and I'm worried since he's usually here already. I don't know how much snow we got, but Sam had to carry the dog to the street because it was over her legs and she couldn't walk.

More later. Sam is making French toast while I'm having my coffee and checking in here.Have to go eat.

Happy to hear that you're all right. Hoping it stays that way.

Spring is coming. Really, it is. ;)

?ui=2&ik=eee62e1485&view=att&th=13cbf8bfd4b62efa&attid=0.1&disp=thd&zwThis is my grill that we were thinking of cooking on if we lost power.

Wouldn't your generator have powered your stove for cooking?

The ones we were researching would have powered our whole house with no interruption.

Even if police or fire want to come help, how can they?

Snowplow in front of the emergency vehicle, especially if it's an ambulance.

When I lived on Guam (typhoon central), the emergency services people flat-out said that if you had an emergency in the middle of the storm they might not be able to get to you. Women past a certain point in their pregnancies were told to go to the hospital, as were people requiring medical equipment that needed electricity, if they didn't have generators at home.

Wouldn't your generator have powered your stove for cooking?

The ones we were researching would have powered our whole house with no interruption.

Of course. And our stove is gas. But it sounded good to think about grilling the food.

Happy to hear that you're all right. Hoping it stays that way.

Spring is coming. Really, it is. ;)

Spring is coming eh? Well Ruth, if you say it I guess I'll have to believe it. You've never steered me wrong before. :)

Continue to stay safe.

We had a neighbor when we lived in Michigan who was a pharmacist. He stayed at his store for 3 days during a big snowstorm.

He let Emergency Services know he was there and police and EMT's would come in on snowmobiles to pick up prescriptions. Fortunately the store had just gotten a big order of things like insulin so they had a good stock of common meds. There were several pregnant ladies who took a short trip on a snowmobile to get to where an ambulance could pick them up.

The store had a soda fountain (remember them?) so he was able to make hamburgers, etc. while he was there.

Snowplow in front of the emergency vehicle, especially if it's an ambulance.

When I lived on Guam (typhoon central), the emergency services people flat-out said that if you had an emergency in the middle of the storm they might not be able to get to you. Women past a certain point in their pregnancies were told to go to the hospital, as were people requiring medical equipment that needed electricity, if they didn't have generators at home.

Even if they do get there, it can certainly be a big delay in this kind of weather. in real emergencies seconds count.

It never fails in weather like this , There can be warnings for a whole week. .....3am at the absolute worst of the storm someone will call and say their last tank of O2 is almost empty, or their power just went out and they are on some type of machine.

Normally we just get them to the ER

We had a neighbor when we lived in Michigan who was a pharmacist. He stayed at his store for 3 days during a big snowstorm.

He let Emergency Services know he was there and police and EMT's would come in on snowmobiles to pick up prescriptions. Fortunately the store had just gotten a big order of things like insulin so they had a good stock of common meds. There were several pregnant ladies who took a short trip on a snowmobile to get to where an ambulance could pick them up.

The store had a soda fountain (remember them?) so he was able to make hamburgers, etc. while he was there.

Even if they do get there, it can certainly be a big delay in this kind of weather. in real emergencies seconds count.

It never fails in weather like this , There can be warnings for a whole week. .....3am at the absolute worst of the storm someone will call and say their last tank of O2 is almost empty, or their power just went out and they are on some type of machine.

Normally we just get them to the ER

I, for one and I am sure there are many, are very grateful for dedicated people who work so hard to take care of the rest of us.

I really mean it....

A huge thank you to all who risk their own safety and comfort for the benefit of others.

You're good people.

JMO......

My sis lives in CT and since I love snow I went up Friday morning to hang out. Here is our scene, I measured about 27" and never lost power.

Awesome fun, just a lot to shovel!

3523s3q.jpg

1zcib7o.jpg

2rcye5l.jpg

Edit: That garage isn't mine, but a buddy who lives here. I can't get my garage pic to the iPad.

That's a lot of snow. Ct. really got hit hard. Glad you still have power.

We're still waiting to be plowed out. Thankfully our street has been plowed but there's no way we could go anywhere. The cars are covered, but not submerged. We were lucky here.

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I suspect we have about as much but I can't get into our backyard to measure and our driveway has been plowed several times so too late to measure and it's a real climb to get a yardstick into our front yard. :D :eek:

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

I suspect we have about as much but I can't get into our backyard to measure and our driveway has been plowed several times so too late to measure and it's a real climb to get a yardstick into our front yard. :D :eek:

I wanted to drive into Boston yesterday morning but the wife put the kibosh on that. CT was a good compromise haha.

I, for one and I am sure there are many, are very grateful for dedicated people who work so hard to take care of the rest of us.

I really mean it....

A huge thank you to all who risk their own safety and comfort for the benefit of others.

You're good people.

JMO......

Thank you Sail. I just answer the calls and tell them where to go *LOL*

But it really is a nice feeling when you help someone really in need and make a difference.

My sis lives in CT and since I love snow I went up Friday morning to hang out. Here is our scene, I measured about 27" and never lost power.

Awesome fun, just a lot to shovel!

3523s3q.jpg

1zcib7o.jpg

2rcye5l.jpg

Edit: That garage isn't mine, but a buddy who lives here. I can't get my garage pic to the iPad.

Yep that looks like CT today. Funny, right now the sun is shining (although it is pretty windy out there . But at least it has stopped snowing.

We're being plowed out now.

Judy, our generator can't run the whole house at once. We pick and chose what we want it to power. So, we can have heat , light, TV,and refrigerator, but not the washing machine at the same time. And I just found out, no air conditioning which was probably a mistake.We've never lost power, except for once a few years ago when our tree fell on the power line across the street.

We felt this will take care of our important needs.

Archived