Ruth c/ryndam

snorkler

Ruth.........I e-mailed Joanie to ask about inside category K and J cabins on the Ryndam. She said she didn't know too much about them and suggested I ask you, as you are her go to expert on inside staterooms. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Elaine:)

Ruth.........I e-mailed Joanie to ask about inside category K and J cabins on the Ryndam. She said she didn't know too much about them and suggested I ask you, as you are her go to expert on inside staterooms. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, Elaine:)

I know this was requested for Ruth to answer but for your information, we recently sailed on the Ryndam and Maasdam. We were in Cabins K565, K585 and J347. All were excellent, inside cabins. Plenty of storage space and no tub; my wife prefers shower only cabins. We have sailed many times on HAL and have inside cabins 50% of the time.

Rick & Connie from the Tampa Bay area

The question to me via email is:

Quote "I was wondering if you know the cabin square footage for Category K inside, Category J inside and Category HH (fully obstructed) outside. Thanks Joanie, I really appreciate any info you can give me." Unquote

I definitely am not knowledgeable of the smaller ships, which is why I suggested the question be directed to RuthC as she is so knowledgeable of the Inside Staterooms, especially the Categories that sorkler is asking.

I'm sure she would appreciate any and all information regarding the Ryndam staterooms:)

Thanks in advance to G&G and everyone who helps snorkler get the answers she needs!! I appreciate it:)

Joanie

I know this was requested for Ruth to answer but for your information, we recently sailed on the Ryndam and Maasdam. We were in Cabins K565, K585 and J347. All were excellent, inside cabins. Plenty of storage space and no tub; my wife prefers shower only cabins. We have sailed many times on HAL and have inside cabins 50% of the time.

Rick & Connie from the Tampa Bay area

Hi Rick and Connie..........Do you happen to know the square footage of the J's and K's? We live in Clearwater. Thanks for any other info you can give us.... Elaine and Frank :)

The J- and most of the K-category cabins are the same size, at 186 sq. ft. The only real difference is location. They are identical in layout as the outside cabins, just a little shorter. I believe the loss is in one closet. There are two full closets and the one with shelves, safe, and hanging for short items.

There are a few K-categoy cabins that are termed "sideways", and they are a lot larger; I don't know the area of those. If you want more info on those, I can help; please ask.

All the J- & K-cabins are more than adequate for one, and for two people who are compatible. The bath is shower-only, so there's more room for a larger vanity. The vanity has a shelf underneath which is long enough to hold a great deal of necessities.

On the S-ships there are 6 drawers at the desk, plus the two under the beds. The stewards do use the underbed drawers for storage. Oh, and there's an end table next to the loveseat, and room for storage in there, too.

The HH cabins, since they are on Lower Promenade, are smaller than the other outside cabins. As a matter of fact, they are smaller than the insides on the same deck! About a foot shorter.

Hope this helps.

Which ships are the S-class?

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam.

The R-class ships (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam) are almost identical to the same cabins on the S-class.

One major difference is that there are only 3 drawers in the desk, but there is an additional closet.

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam.

The R-class ships (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam) are almost identical to the same cabins on the S-class.

One major difference is that there are only 3 drawers in the desk, but there is an additional closet.

Hey, Ruth, welcome home. How was the weather?? Nice and cold? Really hope you had a great time! You were missed on this board.

Hey, Ruth, welcome home. How was the weather?? Nice and cold? Really hope you had a great time! You were missed on this board.

Thanks! I had a splendid time.

Yes, there was some nice, cold weather in very southern South America and Antarctica. Unfortunately, the Lower Promenade loungers were tied up when we got down toward Antarctica; I assumed it was for fear of towels or lap blankets blowing overboard. I asked if they could be set up, and was told the Captain said "no".

When we came north again---still no deck chairs! :mad: I saw the Captain, and asked him to have them set up; they were out within a half hour. And so was I. :D Seems the Bar Manager didn't have them set up because he thought it was too cold for anyone to sit out. :confused: I only had a couple more days to enjoy it out there before it got too hot and I had to come in again. :(

But it was great while it lasted!

K548 and K549, the sideways cabins that Ruth mentioned, are very roomy. We have stayed in them previously and will be occupying one Feb. 17- March 10. Let's hope there will be no need for a 24 hr. quarantine.

Thanks! I had a splendid time.

Yes, there was some nice, cold weather in very southern South America and Antarctica. Unfortunately, the Lower Promenade loungers were tied up when we got down toward Antarctica; I assumed it was for fear of towels or lap blankets blowing overboard. I asked if they could be set up, and was told the Captain said "no".

When we came north again---still no deck chairs! :mad: I saw the Captain, and asked him to have them set up; they were out within a half hour. And so was I. :D Seems the Bar Manager didn't have them set up because he thought it was too cold for anyone to sit out. :confused: I only had a couple more days to enjoy it out there before it got too hot and I had to come in again. :(

But it was great while it lasted!

RuthC

Great to hear that you had such a good cruise!

Funny about the loungers. We had them for the whole cruise including Drake passage and all the time in the Antarctic. Bar Managers must be hot weather guys and don't realize that loungers + blankets = a really good time! Perhaps the wine steward on deck duty didn't want to freeze straightening them up each day, either (I've know this to happen).

Glad to hear that the Captain was accomodating.

How did you like your 5 star rewards? And did you get your pin????

Hope your next cruise is a cool one, too.

SilvertoGold

How did you like your 5 star rewards? And did you get your pin????

Hope your next cruise is a cool one, too.

SilvertoGold

I used most of my 5* benefits; they are so nice to get! I did not get the pin, but I really don't care about that.

I had already paid for one dinner in the Pinnacle, and enjoyed the two free dinners in addition. Love it!

I had returned from one shore excursion very stiff and in great pain, so used my 5* spa time on a ceramic lounger. It totally did the trick, so that was a great benefit.

And I used the 50% off 100-minute Internet package, so that was a plus. I do wonder if you can purchase a larger package and get the same dollar amount taken off. That would be a fair adjustment.

I don't care to attend a cooking class. Someone else can take that place.

Those benefits, along with the free laundry of 4* have been a big plus, imo.

Next cruise is Canada/New England in June, so it may be cool. Shouldn't be unbearably hot, at least. I won't feel any pressure to tour, so can enjoy sitting on Lower Promenade.

I used most of my 5* benefits; they are so nice to get! I did not get the pin, but I really don't care about that.

I had already paid for one dinner in the Pinnacle, and enjoyed the two free dinners in addition. Love it!

I had returned from one shore excursion very stiff and in great pain, so used my 5* spa time on a ceramic lounger. It totally did the trick, so that was a great benefit.

And I used the 50% off 100-minute Internet package, so that was a plus. I do wonder if you can purchase a larger package and get the same dollar amount taken off. That would be a fair adjustment.

I don't care to attend a cooking class. Someone else can take that place.

Those benefits, along with the free laundry of 4* have been a big plus, imo.

Next cruise is Canada/New England in June, so it may be cool. Shouldn't be unbearably hot, at least. I won't feel any pressure to tour, so can enjoy sitting on Lower Promenade.

RuthC

I love your attitude! The 4 + 5 star benefits are great and we can't wait to use them on our next cruise. I do, however, want that pin!

We BOTH plan to do the cooking class. This should be a real challenge for HAL to deal with an absolute non-chef at this class!! Should be a laugh!

I am going to use the spa and see what I think. Glad to have your experience on this, as this is not really something I do a lot, but if you can, so can I.

Internet and Pinnacle will be used. Hope you can get the discount applied as you wish for the internet package. Wondering if you tell the Pinnacle that your are complimentary as a 5 star, or is this just done automatically?

A great program and of course the laundry and pressing are super!! Also, love the hot CHOCOLATE half price at the Exploration's Cafe. Have you tried the white hot choc? I like it better than how some of the servers make the regular (not enough choc syrup).

Best wishes for a cool Canada New England cruise!

Wondering if you tell the Pinnacle that your are complimentary as a 5 star, or is this just done automatically?

The Pinnacle manager could see I was 5* when he looked at his computer. I made a reservation shortly after I boarded.

When I dined, there was a $12.50 charge, immediately offset by a $12.50 credit. Same thing happened when I ate there the second time.

For whatever reason, my final meal at the Pinnacle wasn't charged at all. I had to go to the Front Desk that last morning to have the $25 pre-paid, $25 charge, and $12.50 credit applied.

Also, love the hot CHOCOLATE half price at the Exploration's Cafe. Have you tried the white hot choc? I like it better than how some of the servers make the regular (not enough choc syrup).

I've never tried the white chocolate, but will on your recommendation. ;) When I order hot chocolate, I always ask for extra chocolate, and I'm always accommodated.

Best wishes for a cool Canada New England cruise!

Thanks.

The Pinnacle manager could see I was 5* when he looked at his computer. I made a reservation shortly after I boarded.

When I dined, there was a $12.50 charge, immediately offset by a $12.50 credit. Same thing happened when I ate there the second time.

For whatever reason, my final meal at the Pinnacle wasn't charged at all. I had to go to the Front Desk that last morning to have the $25 pre-paid, $25 charge, and $12.50 credit applied.

I've never tried the white chocolate, but will on your recommendation. ;) When I order hot chocolate, I always ask for extra chocolate, and I'm always accommodated.

Thanks.

Good to know how the Pinnacle works it.

EXTRA chocolate!! Excellent: I'll try that.

Thanks so much for your help

Archived