Any issues with corkage for magnum bottles ?

JennysUncle

The stated policy for wine brought aboard and taken to the dining room is that there will be an $18 corkage charge, but that it will be one time only per bottle, which can be stored by the wine steward for future use. Has anyone had any experience with bringing a double-bottle (magnum), like the common Alice White and Yellow Tail 1.5L size ?

Size of bottle doesn't matter. One fee; same fee.

Clever. :)

I imagine you can get about 8 glasses or more from the large bottle and pay only one corkage fee for a lower priced wine. If you pay too high a corkage for a Yellowtail (which actually isn't that bad), it almost isn't worth it.

Enjoy. Have a great cruise.

Welcome to cruise critic and to the HAL board:D

One time in Europe, we found a bottle that was over 750 ml - we didn't buy it to save money on corkage - we bought it because it was a better buy and it was a nice vintage:D I did take it to the dining room and the wine steward was happy to uncork it for us - we were charged the same corkage fee:) as if we had a 750 ml bottle.

A suggestion - if you are bringing a bottle to the MDR, rather than take it with you (which I don't like to do personally), I take it down early and if it's white it will be chilled appropriately and all ready when you get to your table:D

LIfe is good when you are cruising - and if it's a nice vintage - don't hesitate to offer your wine steward a taste - most enjoy the experience:D

The stated policy for wine brought aboard and taken to the dining room is that there will be an $18 corkage charge' date=' but that it will be one time only per bottle, which can be stored by the wine steward for future use. Has anyone had any experience with bringing a double-bottle (magnum), like the common Alice White and Yellow Tail 1.5L size ?[/quote']

We brought 1.5 liter bottles with us (double size) on our recent NA E Carib trip and the larger bottle cost us the same corkage as the smaller; $18., which made them VERY cost-effective. No complaints by the wine steward, she kept them for us and poured as needed whether we shared with our tablemates (as we chose to do one night and she brought extra glasses) or whether my DH and I drank alone.

• 3 weeks later...

We just sailed on Nieuw Amsterdam in February and had a couple of 1.5 litre bottles of wine that we brought to the diningroom. The wine steward did charge us $36 for each bottle and said that since it was the same as 2 regular bottles there would be the double corkage fee. He said that his 'boss' was the one that told him to charge us double.

I spoke to the front desk and the cellar master about this charge. I asked them that if this was a new policy, could they please show it to me in print, as it wasn't posted on the HAL website. Well, of course, they couldn't show me the policy as it hasn't changed (yet). Eventually, the cellar master authorized the front desk to remove the extra $18 for each bottle. He also gave me a story about the leniency of HAL's policy regarding the fact that they allow you to bring on as much wine as you like, etc.

All was well in the end and we were all happy and became good friends for the rest of the cruise.

But, I can see some changes coming in the future. Maybe not soon, but it will come.

Archived