Rip off Britain!

Prices for Adventure of the Seas 21st April 2013 Transatlantic crossing:

Book inside in the UK for a solo passenger £1023 including taxes.

Book inside in the US for a solo passenger £402 including taxes.

Book promenade in the UK for a solo passenger £1083 including taxes.

Book promenade in the US for a solo passenger £460 including taxes.

Good job I have an excellent US travel agent!

Who is your agent????? Can anyone in the UK book this way? I know some cruise lines insist on you having a US address.

Prices for Adventure of the Seas 21st April 2013 Transatlantic crossing:

Book inside in the UK for a solo passenger £1023 including taxes.

Book inside in the US for a solo passenger £402 including taxes.

Here are the same booking if I try it from Norway, with prices converted into misc currencies:

Inside solo passenger (deckplan code K/L/M/N)

Cruise Fare: 7080 NOK / 809 GBP / 1278 USD / 956 EUR

Prepaid Gratuities: 976 NOK / 111 GBP / 176 USD / 131 EUR

Taxes/Fees: 515 NOK / 58 GBP / 93 USD / 69 EUR

Per Person Total: 8571 NOK / 979 GBP / 1547 USD / 1158 EUR

How do you check the prices booked from the US?

I paid around 3360 USD for my upcoming trip on the Allure (feb 24th, 2 person, outside balcony, D7), including taxes and prepaid gratuities. How much would americans pay if they book now?

I paid around 3360 USD for my upcoming trip on the Allure (feb 24th, 2 person, outside balcony, D7), including taxes and prepaid gratuities. How much would americans pay if they book now?

To answer myself: I did a test-booking on an american travel agent website, and the price, when adding gratuities, would be more or less the same. But, I would have gotten $200 OBC.

Not such a big deal, as I like to deal directly with RCCL instead of going through a random travel agent. And next cruise I should get OBC because of either a FCC or repeat guest, right?

At least two factors that alter the price that I know of.

1 - Euro laws put a much bigger burden on the cruiseline/airline etc. If your flight is delayed, they have to take care of you. No way around it. When flights were cancelled during the big volcano thing - the airlines took a major hit. Laws in the US do not penalize the vendor so much.

2 - Some EURO agencies include gratuity in the price right up front.

I have no expertise in this area, but can only comment on the existence of different terms and conditions in the 'fine print' depending where you book.

I am most familiar with some Swedish examples and know that the key was that they were booked in Sweden.

The EU and every European country have varied consumer and health coverage for their citizens and residents. For instance, a trip booked in Sweden has a basic coverage that can be supplemented with additional coverage, where in the USA the entire coverage must be done through private insurance. I think Sweden still steps in and represents all citizens anywhere in the world and repatriates all citizens in the case of an accident, whereas an American must bear this cost through private insurance or payment.

Sweden even represents customers that are not treated fairly by a travel arranger or misled when the ticket is purchased in Sweden. They recently took Ryanair all the way to their supreme court and won for a stranded family.

This was done on their behalf. Norway took on Ryanair as well using the help of the other Scandinavian consumer agencies.

The EU recently ruled against Ryanair concerning their lack of assistance during the Icelandic volcano incident. These were government agencies that represented these travelers and not private lawyers. These travelers were covered by the Swedish 'resegaranti'. travel guarantee. This coverage is even in place if the agency or operator goes in bankruptcy.

I think that this is called ATOL in the UK. I think that an extra tax is paid to cover these costs, but again only have second hand knowledge.

It could even happen in an international market that a travel company would decide to withdraw from a market if their potential liability is much higher. One way to do this would be to have an 'over-price'.

Travel companies are even responsible to pay for loss of income. These agencies usually have criteria for which consumer cases they will take on for their national traveling public.

I think everyone is covered by the EU coverage when departing a flight from the EU and Europeans are covered on all flights returning to the EU. Other travel products are not yet covered.

This is why I pay a lot more for an 'free' award ticket originating in Europe than for one that departs from the USA. The tax can be $400 from Europe on such a ticket on an American air carrier.

Who is your agent????? Can anyone in the UK book this way? I know some cruise lines insist on you having a US address.

Since I started cruising I have often used a US TA and most cases it's cheaper in the US . ie last summer on the Adventure out of Malaga, usa $399.00 plus tax after C&A balcony discount.. UK £870 after C&A balcony discount for the same room.

We have only booked one cruise with a UK TA that has been cheaper than the US.

Other thing when you book in the US you can cancel right up to final payment and get your deposit back, if you cancel in the UK you loose you deposit.

We have also booked the Adventure transatlantic this year.

There is a website that gives live prices in various currencies. Unfortunately due to board guidelines I am unable to reference that site here.....

Can you give us a hint? ;)

At least on my cruise, there doesn't appear to be any difference between US and EU. It may appear to be cheaper until I add taxes and gratuities but the total sum is the same.

I have no expertise in this area, but can only comment on the existence of different terms and conditions in the 'fine print' depending where you book.

I am most familiar with some Swedish examples and know that the key was that they were booked in Sweden.

The EU and every European country have varied consumer and health coverage for their citizens and residents. For instance, a trip booked in Sweden has a basic coverage that can be supplemented with additional coverage, where in the USA the entire coverage must be done through private insurance. I think Sweden still steps in and represents all citizens anywhere in the world and repatriates all citizens in the case of an accident, whereas an American must bear this cost through private insurance or payment.

Sweden even represents customers that are not treated fairly by a travel arranger or misled when the ticket is purchased in Sweden. They recently took Ryanair all the way to their supreme court and won for a stranded family.

This was done on their behalf. Norway took on Ryanair as well using the help of the other Scandinavian consumer agencies.

The EU recently ruled against Ryanair concerning their lack of assistance during the Icelandic volcano incident. These were government agencies that represented these travelers and not private lawyers. These travelers were covered by the Swedish 'resegaranti'. travel guarantee. This coverage is even in place if the agency or operator goes in bankruptcy.

I think that this is called ATOL in the UK. I think that an extra tax is paid to cover these costs, but again only have second hand knowledge.

It could even happen in an international market that a travel company would decide to withdraw from a market if their potential liability is much higher. One way to do this would be to have an 'over-price'.

Travel companies are even responsible to pay for loss of income. These agencies usually have criteria for which consumer cases they will take on for their national traveling public.

I think everyone is covered by the EU coverage when departing a flight from the EU and Europeans are covered on all flights returning to the EU. Other travel products are not yet covered.

This is why I pay a lot more for an 'free' award ticket originating in Europe than for one that departs from the USA. The tax can be $400 from Europe on such a ticket on an American air carrier.

In regard to flights, yes there may be justification for some differences, but we are talking about cruises, where the above protections do not in most cases apply.

I met my travel agent on the Vision back in 2007 and we have become good friends. We have met since on a transatlantic cruise and in Las Vegas last year.

For 2013 we have 4 Royal cruises booked:

April Advernture T/A UK price £1023 US £402

May Mariner Suez UK price £1960 US £1750 cat E1

October Liberty T/A UK price £1797 US price £1460 cat E1

November Panama Legend UK price £2600 US price £2468 cat H

UK price £7380

US price £6080

The savings made of £1300 ($2050) had paid for our cruise on the NCL Jade next week including flights, tips and transfers! :D:D:D

As I book all of my own flights and have a comprehensive annual travel policy the ATOL and ABTA protection in the UK is notr really that useful. I also find the fact that I can change my mind to a different cruise without paying any penalty.

I know that RCI say I should have a US address but they have been happily selling me future cruise certificates in US$ for the past 5 years.:rolleyes:

I phoned RCI about this and couldn't get a straight forward answer.

I was advised to write to paxamin and they kept trying to tell me I was wrong about the pricing.I also told them the price in € was a couple of hundred pounds cheaper and they kept trying to fob me off about gratuities an taxes I sent them a sreenshot of the page with the prices on it in both £ and € I didn't even get a reply.

I phoned crown and anchor and they weren't any help and was told to write saying I wanted the managing director to explain to me why there was a difference and I got a call from someone telling that the pricing was different everywhere depending on supply and demand but I thought if we were all booking the same cruise there should be the same supply and demand and then about special offers that are on I told him this was not a special offer as the price had been the same for a couple of months and not showing as a price drop.

In the end I didn't think it was explained very well so I'm no further forward.

I just said so it's rip off Britain again and that was it.

Guest maddycat
I might have a play myself. I was looking for a solo inside transatlantic for November. Thanks for the insight. It's just making sure you get the right USA TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you are on the Explorer in April, talk to other passengers and ask for US TA recommondations.

In regard to flights, yes there may be justification for some differences, but we are talking about cruises, where the above protections do not in most cases apply.

Again I state no level of expertise, but only a knowledge of the existence of consumer regulations in Europe. Scandinavia does have very strong consumer regulations that are not Europe-wide at this time.

Actually new maritime regulations did just take effect, but think it applies more to ferry services, but does mention cruise operators....

From EU passenger rights website...

The Regulation on passenger rights in maritime and inland waterway transport was published on 17 December 2010 as Regulation 1177/2010. It will enter into effect on 18 December 2012; before this date these rights do not apply.

The Regulation applies in respect of passengers travelling:

• on passenger services where the port of embarkation is situated in the territory of a Member State;
  • on passenger services where the port of embarkation is situated outside the territory of a Member State and the port of disembarkation is situated in the territory of a Member State, provided that the service is operated by a Union carrier;
  • on a cruise where the port of embarkation is situated in the territory of a Member State.

I have been reading this thread with interest. RCI suffers from the same disease as many other major corporations that see Europe as paved with easy money although judging by the number of pages of adverts in the UK newspapers offering discounts on cruises, there certainly seems to be a lot of over supply.

Dual pricing is not just limited to the cruise lines. I can think of one global clothing brand (it has a pony player) where all they appear do is change the dollar sign for a British pound sign but the numbers otherwise stay the same, so an instant mark up of approximately 33% because of currency differences for exactly the same item of clothing just for the priviledge of purchasing it in the UK.

Not only are we overcharged in Europe, the product on offer does not seem to change very much with the passage of time. From Southampton you are pretty much limited to either the Western Med for 2 weeks in the summer months or Canary Islands for 10 days in the Autumn. For the price of a Grand Suite to the Med, last year my family travelled business class on British Airways to the Caribbean on an all inclusive holiday including diving lessons, day trips and pin money.

The sense of RIP off is further compounded by the issue of pre-paid tips which seem almost compulsory and added to the amount you are charged regardless. We are doing Alaska this year with RCI as they offered the route we wanted to do. I booked almost a year ago and added MTD. Big mistake. After reading these boards we discovered the dining package which many of have commented on very favourably. However, RCI UK is resisting removing the MTD charge even though we have said we no longer wish to use it and want the package instead. You just love the customer care. What do you do, cancel and loose your deposit and we have already booked and paid for flights to North America or just suck it up.

Also this idea that RCI charges more because of EU regulations. I remember reading on these boards following the Icelandic volcano incident tales of European passengers being left to fend for themselves by RCI. Under the EU regualtions, the burden of care falls on travel agents or airlines. I find it curious that the RCI UK website now encourages customers to use a travel agent and wonder whether this is to discourage booking with them directly .

To those from the UK that use US travel agents, do tell as I thought there was a previous embargo on US agents selling to UK residents.

May Mariner Suez UK price £1960 US £1750 cat E1

And you are sure that you are comparing the same thing here?

Tried a EU booking now and get:

Cruise fare: £1465

Taxes/Fees: £378

Prepaid Gratuities: £239

Total: £2082

Total without gratuities: £1843

Not sure how RCCL calculates taxes, but if they add taxes to the gratuities as well, and add some currency overhead between USD - NOK - GBP it might be that the only difference in price is the gratuities. That's why I'm asking, as I've seen that US bookings generally is without gratuities.

From what I've read on the forums, TA are NOT allowed to sell cheaper than RCCL, so every single TA out there should have the same price. They can however give OBC, but that was not the topic of this discussion. So any online US travel agency should have the same price and it should be easy to compare.

we only get the basic "free" health care, for anything serious we still have to have travel/medical insurance

It is a misnomer to say we get FREE health care. We pay for it via our taxes etc and pay through the nose for a system which is totally overloaded by people who arrive in the UK and get instant free treatment, despite never paying a penny in taxes. Not only that but many of us end up paying thousands of pounds a year in private health care to ensure that we can get treatment in a reasonable time scale.

As you say, highlandlassie, we also have to pay for medical/travel insurance if we leave the uk.

As you say, highlandlassie, we also have to pay for medical/travel insurance if we leave the uk.

These threads can really get a life of their own, so do not want to start a big health care debate..... but

The UK does have reciprocal benefits within the entire EU and EEA along with agreements with around 30 other countries. That said, that helps your Travel Insurance company probably more than you.

I have no idea how it works, but every medical facility on the Spanish southern coast is full of UK and other EU citizens.

Watch the difference when an American becomes ill abroad and they have to pull out the credit card to get care, while the European pays later at least.

Someone put the link of RCI USA on a thread once. Does anyone have it where it can by-pass the UK site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not know that even RCCL did that in the UK. In Switzerland I can just go to top of page and choose change country.

I notice in Spain it goes back to the Spanish site every time.

Archived