How do you pick your cruise??

cruisecluestoo

I look first at ports on cruises that are during periods that work for us (we have a daughter in school, so that limits our choices considerably) - we prefer to visit at least two new ports each time we cruise if possible. Then the price of a cruise going to ports I want to visit; with price including transportation to/from the departure port. The specific ship is typically the last item I look at.

First dates of vacation. Between teaching and my DH's job, our schedules don't mesh (last year, we couldn't get off at the same time for a vacation at all!). Then we look at ports, etc. We then pick the best ship (in our opinion) going at that time.

Probably date first, but for me that is simply a broad time frame, not specific weeks. Most years, we like to go to the Caribbean the very end of February or first part of March and then we enjoy cruising in the fall. Other than that, we tend to go where ever the best buy is and have been known to change plans completely because of a great deal. I have a lot of vacation time with only a few weeks out of the year that are totally out of the question for travel, so I can chase bargains. :)

We love sailing the first week of March or the first week of October. Warm perfect weather and few spring breakers. After that east, west or south... we love them all. Prefer sailing out of Miami. Finally we look at price.

Really any cruise, anywhere, anytime!

Mainly ports, which is one of the reasons we have more cruises on Carnival since we live close to Galveston. NCL has just signed a deal with another port in the Houston area... which may affect the CCL local cruisers around here, as many of us don't really visit the sights in Galveston before we cruise due to having them available all the time. When Bayport opens for NCL, it will be interesting to see how many local cruisers will sign up due to the shorter drive. It's a longer jaunt down the ship channel... but not that big a deal timewise.

I guess our first item would be date, but that would be for any cruise. Primary factor for us is price and port where we sail out of. Cruises from ports closest to us get the most looks (i.e. Charleston, S.C.; Jacksonville; New Orleans; Port Canaveral; and Tampa). Then we branch out a bit to see if there are bargains from Fort Lauderdale and Miami. There are some ships and destination ports that get "special" consideration since my DW has noted she likes them. These would be Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. We generally are open to all cruise lines as well.

Well, I like to try different ships. So, first I try to find a different ship, then ports - (I don't want to visit the same place two trips in a row -but of course I WOULD if I just had to-lol). Price plays into it only if DH hasn't picked his vacations for the year yet -- if he has, then I have to choose by week, also.

Running out of ports -- going to one in a couple weeks which I just visited in October (Grand Cayman)- oh well - wanted to do the Liberty!!! :)

We pick first by date, has to be over the summer when we can drop kids off with grandparents. Earlier in the summer the better so we can get rid of the kids and stop being parents sooner and actually have fun and relax.

Then ports are next to be considered, we prefer places we haven't been, then places we enjoyed but didn't get enough time to really explore.

Dates, ports/embarkation port, price, ship..... in that order.

Date: because I am a teacher and can sail only certain dates....

Ports/Embarkation port: Ports are fine... but I really hate sailing out of Miami!

Price: Well... it does matter to an extent!

Ship: Not particular if everything else is equal!

Like others date comes first. Then comes price BUT what does price mean?

Price has to include the cost of the cruise which includes service fees and transportation and travel costs.

A perfect example is the cost of Summer cruises. Mediterranean cruises have been way less then N American cruises the last few years .

Add in the total cost including getting there and a day or 3 before the cruise and the Euro cruise ends up being more expensive.

Worth every extra penny IMHO.

I think many look too closely at the cruise price but don't total up the complete price.

Like others date comes first. Then comes price BUT what does price mean?

Price has to include the cost of the cruise which includes service fees and transportation and travel costs.

A perfect example is the cost of Summer cruises. Mediterranean cruises have been way less then N American cruises the last few years .

Add in the total cost including getting there and a day or 3 before the cruise and the Euro cruise ends up being more expensive.

Worth every extra penny IMHO.

I think many look too closely at the cruise price but don't total up the complete price.

I agree $600 airfare to Florida from NJ sucks but then you check out cruises from NY or Baltimore and the prices are so much more.Its a lose lose situation

This next cruise was picked because it fit into dates already established. I have non-refundable tickets to Orlando for an event that was cancelled. Oh, darn, I researched and a quick four night on the Ecstasy fits right in :D

Normally, it would be ports and dates first, price and ship second.

Archived