5 dead, 3 injured as lifeboat falls from cruise ship in Spain's Canary Islands

Rako20

MADRID - Spanish officials say five people have been killed and three injured when a lifeboat fell into the sea off a cruise ship that was tied up at the port of Santa Cruz in the Canary Islands.

Citing the islands' Emergency and Security Coordination Center, a government statement said rescue personnel were called to the dockside at 1205 GMT (7:05 a.m. EST) Sunday after "a lifeboat with occupants had fallen overboard from a cruise ship docked at the pier of Santa Cruz port in La Palma."

The nationality or sex of those who died was not known, the statement said, adding that the injured were all men, two aged 30 and another, a Greek national, was 32 years old.

National broadcaster RTVE said the cruise ship was British registered.

Thats all the info thats available as of now.So sad to here about this.

MADRID - Spanish officials say five people have been killed and three injured when a lifeboat fell into the sea off a cruise ship that was tied up at the port of Santa Cruz in the Canary Islands.

Citing the islands' Emergency and Security Coordination Center, a government statement said rescue personnel were called to the dockside at 1205 GMT (7:05 a.m. EST) Sunday after "a lifeboat with occupants had fallen overboard from a cruise ship docked at the pier of Santa Cruz port in La Palma."

The nationality or sex of those who died was not known, the statement said, adding that the injured were all men, two aged 30 and another, a Greek national, was 32 years old.

National broadcaster RTVE said the cruise ship was British registered.

Thats all the info thats available as of now.So sad to here about this.

That's terrible! I would assume they were doing a lifeboat drill. :(

I watched a crew drill on RCL on the Adventure lowering and lining up life boats. And I can tell you it was shocking one guy did not know what the others was doing.

If I was on a ship that needed to drop the life boats, I think I would take control because I don't these guys know what they are doing

Geez the eye roll again. People DIED and this is how you react to posts of genuine concern.

Did you even READ the quote I put in my post? The "eye roll" was clearly in regards to (and quoted as a reference)to a comment about RCCL "paying attention" to something they had nothing to do with..............:rolleyes:

If ita the NCL Majesty I too sailed on her 12 years ago, this is so sad

So sad to hear about this tragedy. I sailed on her as the Royal Majesty (Majesty Cruise Line) in '95, great little ship. She was sold to NCL in '97 (lengthened over 110 ft.) and sailed as the Norwegian Majesty. Prayers to the crew and their families. :(

I watched a crew drill on RCL on the Adventure lowering and lining up life boats. And I can tell you it was shocking one guy did not know what the others was doing.

If I was on a ship that needed to drop the life boats, I think I would take control because I don't these guys know what they are doing

And you are qualified and trained on the equipment? Have to say that absent any proof of qualification I find your intention dangerous in the extreme.

And you are qualified and trained on the equipment? Have to say that absent any proof of qualification I find your intention dangerous in the extreme.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think I'd want random passengers "taking control" of the lifeboats in an emergency.

I read Cruise Critic often but rarely post (as you can see by my post count!). I read the Royal Caribbean forum as I had a most wonderful family holiday last summer on Indy in the Med. Loved the ship, loved the crew and had no complaint worth mentioning.

Reading this thread has made me want to repeat the post I made on the Thomson forum regarding the terrible tragedy today in La Palma. I cannot believe that this terrible incident has instigated such sniping in this thread.

So for what it's worth, here's my take on it :

Any of us who have been fortunate enough to have been able to cruise, however long, with whichever cruise line and whether in a little inside cabin or a grand suite, know how much we owe to the crew. They keep us keep us fed and comfortable, they make us feel special; most of all they keep us safe.

I don't know these people who lost their lives but my sincere thoughts go out to their families and loved ones. I hope these crew members always knew how grateful we all are.

I've watched the lifeboat drill on my last two cruises. It frightens me sometimes to see when they do the release, how this lifeboats swing, almost uncontrollable. Scary and so sad to hear about this Spain accident. My heart goes out to the crew.

Did you even READ the quote I put in my post? The "eye roll" was clearly in regards to (and quoted as a reference)to a comment about RCCL "paying attention" to something they had nothing to do with..............:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with eyerolling yet you used three.

I read Cruise Critic often but rarely post (as you can see by my post count!). I read the Royal Caribbean forum as I had a most wonderful family holiday last summer on Indy in the Med. Loved the ship, loved the crew and had no complaint worth mentioning.

Reading this thread has made me want to repeat the post I made on the Thomson forum regarding the terrible tragedy today in La Palma. I cannot believe that this terrible incident has instigated such sniping in this thread.

Any of us who have been fortunate enough to have been able to cruise, however long, with whichever cruise line and whether in a little inside cabin or a grand suite, know how much we owe to the crew. They keep us keep us fed and comfortable, they make us feel special; most of all they keep us safe.

I don't know these people who lost their lives but my sincere thoughts go out to their families and loved ones. I hope these crew members always knew how grateful we all are.

Well said.

Thank you. I appreciate your comments. I agree.

The latest info is that the lifeboat fell 30 ft into the water. Because of the confined area there wasn't enough room for the lifeboat to right itself . Looking at a picture on a news service , it looked like a tender overturned not a regular lifeboat. Tenders aren't designed to right them self's.

Will be interesting to see additional details.

I've seen a lot of RCI boat drills and all that I saw lowered with boat's operating crew only. There is a (very) new international policy change requiring lowering _full_ boats once or twice ( I don't remember exactly ) a year. The passengers in the 'full' boat would be additional crew. Although I do see both the need and the benefit of a full-boat test, it looks to me like this new policy adds considerable exposure.

Archived