Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The today show Really? NBC is well known for sensationalism, the truth is they have a drydock for repairs in Mobile so Carnival is making the people suffer not the non-passport people. By the way look at CARNIVALS rules, you don't need a passport for close looped cruises, so those people should be mad at Carnival because they don't require a passport.

Agree and suspect Carnival may be reconsidering that rule.

That's not Carnival's rule. That is US Immigration policy.

Thosee 900 people without a passport probably said "you never need a passport for closed loop cruises."

I wonder if anyone learned a lesson from this. Probably not. Next cruise there will probably be 900 people without passports.

However, the second part of the equation is that there have to be receivers within range of the ship and the receivers are mostly land based. It is quite common for ships at sea to be out of range of receivers - especially those offered on free sites.

AIS has been satellite based for about 5 years now.

Thosee 900 people without a passport probably said "you never need a passport for closed loop cruises."

I wonder if anyone learned a lesson from this. Probably not. Next cruise there will probably be 900 people without passports.

Ok, one more, If I were on the Triumph and getting a refund in a few days/weeks, and I did not have a passport, I would use the found money and get one.

Yes they are going to use some of the money for lost wages and extra costs, but if Carnival is reimbursing for all the extra expenses, then there should be some extra money left over, buy a passport now, so you are ready if you need it in the future.

Not wanting to be overly pessimistic, but at what point (with dodgy sanitation, little clean water, little chance of washing, and people living close together in areas not being cleaned) does a cholera epidemic begin?

The ship must be like the black hole of Calcutta. Imagine the stench..........

I hope the CDC has someone on board monitoring this.

They probably parachuted in to gather samples.

No, you are mistaking what is being said- the US state dept gives the closed loop cruise "loophole", however it is completely up to each line what identificatio and documents THEY will require. Carnival could easily require passports.

It sounds like they used a gurney but a stokes shoud have been used

It makes for an easier, lighter transfer and the Pt is secured better.

Tossing the luggage is the same way they do the supplies

Depends. If it was a bariatric, the gurney is the better option.

Really though, maybe you are only flying to England once. You still need a passport. I don't think only needing it once is a legitimate reason not to get one. I do agree that Carnival (and most other lines that currently support the closed loop rule) is culpable for the passport situation though, not the individual passenger. If you require it, they will get it.

I wouldn't being flying to Europe though, after what my anscestors did to get out of europe in the 1700's. What ever Europe is doing we know if we do the opposite were doing it right. Yet now were copying there debt troubles , who would've thought we were that ignorant. Carnival allows birth certificates on closed loop cruises, anyone that blames someone on this cruise for not having a passport is ignorant, as they are Following Carnivals own rules,guidelines .Although passports had nothing to d with going to Alabama, Carnivals bottom line did , in that thats where the shipyard is to get the ship fixed.Screw the passengers were going to Mobile

This thread is so similar to the thread from the Splendor it is awesome... Thousands of posts, very few with any real information. Lots of pure speculation and baseless accusations... The truth is unknown and will likely stay that way until the ship is docked (depending on how many still have batteries in their phones)... When the Splendor docked, CNN was live on scene and kept asking people about the awful conditions. 14 out of every 15 people had nothing but good things to say about the crew and their performance and their interviews were immediately terminated. There are now video diaries from people on the Splendor and lots of reviews and we can accurately put together many of the facts... Patience is needed when waiting for answers in difficult situations... Hopefully all onboard are able to stay safe for the remainder of this voyage.

I'd kinda like to hear form the pax that talked to CNN and the other media via text and phone also. Guess we will see Thursday.

billd

No, you are mistaking what is being said- the US state dept gives the closed loop cruise "loophole", however it is completely up to each line what identificatio and documents THEY will require. Carnival could easily require passports.

To further illustrate- "

The following cruise lines require a passport for all sailings, regardless of destination or port of departure: Azamara Club Cruises, Crystal, Cunard, Fred. Olsen, Hurtigruten, Oceania, Orion Expedition Cruises, P&O, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Star Clippers, Swan Hellenic, Voyages of Discovery and Windstar. "

We (DH, DS & I) were going to get passport cards for our upcoming cruise. We used birth certificates (and IDs) last year and my mom had a passport card. However, after reading some of the posts, I think that we'll just go ahead and get the passports.

I would! You can use the real passport for so much more, right now you may not be thining of intercontinental travel but who knows what amazing opportunity might spring up one day! :-)

Originally Posted by pebbles1102

I just saw on The Today Show, part of the reason the decision was made to tow the ship to Mobile instead of Mexico was it will be easier to get the 900 passengers without passports home. You know the 2200 passengers with passports are upset with the 900 that didn't have them. They have to endure one more day on an disabled ship with deteriorating conditions.

The today show Really? NBC is well known for sensationalism, the truth is they have a drydock for repairs in Mobile so Carnival is making the people suffer not the non-passport people. By the way look at CARNIVALS rules, you don't need a passport for close looped cruises, so those people should be mad at Carnival because they don't require a passport.

I'm not sure of the rules of getting someone home from a foreign country with out a passport. I thought of this this morning, The US embassy in Progresso Mexico probably did not want to be inundated with 900 requests for emergency passports

So the guy they just interviewed on CNN says his wife has had nothing to eat but a peanut butter sandwich and bowl of water in day and half because food is first come first serve , wow this will be another another Black eye for Carnival Corp. anyway you look at it.

We (DH, DS & I) were going to get passport cards for our upcoming cruise. We used birth certificates (and IDs) last year and my mom had a passport card. However, after reading some of the posts, I think that we'll just go ahead and get the passports.

I actually have both. I take the passport with me but keep it locked in the safe. I find the Passport card easier to deal with since I can stick it in my wallet. But, I also have occasion to drive across the Canadian border at times. Replacing my DL is a bigger pain than the passport card so i usually take that into port with me instead of my DL.

I don't see them doing it though, especially if RCI and Norwegian don't. A big part of Carnival's market is the first time cruiser new to international travel. Carnival wants to make it easy for these people to be able to drive to a port and get on a ship. The cost of passports for a family for a single cruise does not make economic sense. It could be over 1/3 the cost of the cruise.

A moving ship under the control of its master is a completely different animal than a ship floating, uncontrolled in the middle of the gulf. The captain in the instance had the ability to stabilize the ship and set the speed. That is not the case with the Triumph.

The provisions were transferred by TRAINED crew to TRAINED crew. Very different then transferring 3,000 paniced passengers.

The only way I could see them transferring passengers is if they had a ship of the same class come along side and with fenders tie off to the Triumph and take the Triumph into a alongside tow. They would have to bring a gangway up to the open deck and then while moving take all passengers off. This would still be potentially dangerous depending on the sea conditions as the rise and fall of the 2 ships could possibly get out of step.

However the size of the vessels in question would most likely prevent this from happening and I am sure the crew and even master of the vessels would have almost no experience in this technique. And even if they did try something that daring they most likely would not allow non-essential luggage to be brought from one ship to another. Back when I was in the Coast Guard We used to do something similar to this when I was stationed on a Buoy Tender we would have a barge load of buoys. We would move equipment and personnel back and forth from the barge and the Cutter. Yet we knew what we were doing not like 3000+ untrained inexperienced passengers.

So I will go to work now, and leave you with this question;

Where is Jon Heald during all of this, in 105+ pages I have not read one post about him or his blog or facebook page telling everyone things are fine, and everyone is happy and getting strawberrys and champaign

The wagons have circled.

Archived