Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Next time you on on a cruise ship, go find a tow bitt with bollard pull strong enough to hook up a tow line, witch they don't have anyway. You wont. Cruise ship nor the crew aren't made, equipped nor trained for towing.

The Triumph is probably being towed with 2000 or more feet of cable hooked to a towing machine on the tug. Its probably secured to the Triumphs anchor chain either singularly or via a bridle. One tug can absolutely tow a vessel this size, its done every day somewhere in the world. Look at the picture infact.....The other tug onscene can be used to stop it. The ships rudders can manually be put to amidships and the vessel will track the towline. When the tow gets to the vicinity of Mobile, more tugs will be brought along side, the tow will be shortened, and the ship will be towed up the 20 mile Mobile ship channel and moor it. This operation, again happens all the time in every port.

Thats why their called professional mariners and your called passengers!!

billd

Touché

Should it matter? How bout if the ship were sinking instead of stinking.

One cruise should have been canceled, and the ship sent to pick up these poor people.

I'm sure the 3,000 people whose vacations would be cancelled by this action would send nice thank you notes.

Here is a link to Mobile, Alabama, news with the plans of what is being arranged: http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2013/feb/12/city-mobile-prepares-aid-carnivals-triumph-ar-5581469/

So, if they arrive Thursday, they spend Thursday night in Mobile/New Orleans hotels, then get shuttled to the airport, then fly to Houston, then get shuttled to Galveston.

Weather is going to be miserable the next few days too. Poor people.

I've never cruised Carnival, and each similar incident I hear on Carnival renews my intent to continue cruising with other lines.

This thread reminds me of the people who evacuated to the Superdome after Katrina and just messed anywhere they wanted to because the electricity and water were off.

But it amazes me that people on a cruise ship would just go mess in the halls and stairwells instead of using the supplied bags or finding a functional toilet. And then they complain about the smell!

You just nailed it ! Took the words right out of my mouth. I cant help but wonder how things would be if everyone used the bags that carnival issued them.

I was looking up one of the Tug boats (Resolve Pioneer) that is on its way to Triumph.

It's a big monster. Here are some of it's stats ...(http://www.resolveservices.com/pdf/Vessels/Resolve%20Pioneer.pdf).

It looks like it would be towing at around 4-5mph.

Last known location looks like it's on its way to the Triumph (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?oldmmsi=367303490&zoom=10&olddate=lastknown).

Can't find anything info about the Dabhol tow and steer.

If you check Marine Traffic, that position is from yesterday morning.

Celebrity ships actually have brakes, they are called azaipods. The propellers can actually turn through 360 degrees. The newer RCCI ships as well I believe.

Triumph was built in 1999. Azipods were relatively new and still had some teething issues when the ship was being designed. But that is moot. Without electrical power Azipods will not work. So their presence on Triumph would not have helped.

Fox news quote my favorite so far from a newlywed couple, "son says passengers were mostly "taking it in stride."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/12/disabled-carnival-cruise-ship-en-route-to-alabama-after-engine-room-fire/#ixzz2KjsrjxQl

Cruisers Rock!

Quite a variety of people's outlook being on board.

about 1000 posts ago it was determined that they are not working for free.

Why would you even think that the crew is not being paid?

Who "determined" they were being payed? CCL has offered a full refund to passengers inclusive of gratuities, that's why I wondered if they would be payed. The $50 or so that service personnel like cabin stewards or the wait staff get aside from tips does not constitute payment to me.

If you are saying a crew member or family of such came on to post that the cruise line would be covering their tips, then that's wonderful. And really, it would have been just as easy to say as much instead of take a rude and abrasive tone. But that is your way on this board, so why change now.

I did post that I read the first few pages, then skipped up to page 70 or so. Have you read every single post and page on this thread? Really? Hats off to you if you have time to do so.

Everyone should remember that all the news stories and texts to friends and family that are being reported are over a day and a half old because there have been no cell phone calls or texts from the ship since the ship transferring supplies left it yesterday about noon.

There is NO news from passengers on the ship today.

The only news from the ship comes from Carnival who claims that they have made some repairs to the ship since earlier text messages were sent out.

Here is the video of the press conference.

http://carnival-news.com/2013/02/12/carnival-cruise-lines-president-and-ceo-gerry-cahills-press-conference-comment-regarding-carnival-triumph/

Just an FYI. At least for me it took a while to load. There must be a lot of people trying to view it.

Thanks. Also found it on Youtube.

CCL PRESS CONFERENCE VIDEO

Some details on travel arrangements for pax at 3:35

Does not contain the questions from the press.

Thanks. Also found it on Youtube.

CCL PRESS CONFERENCE VIDEO

Some details on travel arrangements for pax at 3:35

Does not contain the questions from the press.

Ok good to know. I haven't had time to watch the video yet. I do hope a video with the questions from the press pops up. It would be interesting to watch.

yes read the post , someone accused 900 passengers of not having passports so thats why they had to go to Alabama. From your post i'm guessing your not to bright

ANd obviousily that wasnt the reason that Carnival CHOSE to go back to Mobile;)

Triumph was built in 1999. Azipods were relatively new and still had some teething issues when the ship was being designed. But that is moot. Without electrical power Azipods will not work. So their presence on Triumph would not have helped.

While true (and still moot), one advantage of Azipods, is that they are not mechanically connected to the engine (which is just a generator). So ships with Azipods often have multiple generators, and the Azipods can be driven by any one or multiple of the generators.

just watched two video's on CNN . One guy is telling the story of the call from his wife. He says in almost two days all she got was one pb/jelly sandwich and bottle of water. The other video a lady on the ship was saying how well they were eating.

Without a doubt I would be a basket case without my Ac, toilet, warm shower, did I say Ac! But it is going to be interesting how people on the same ship tell the story.

Archived