Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Translation: Your made up information supports my preconceived opinion so I choose to take what you say as expert, factual information.

This is a mess for Carnival and those folks on board... no amount of cheerleading can change that. Family members on shore who spoke to their loved ones on board have already been called liars. I can't wait for the venom that will be wielded against the actual passengers when they start telling their stories first hand.

Hopefully those people will stay off this board and just tell their stories to the media. If they're smart they will.

Wow, I guess the 45 degree thing happened last night during the storm. Yikes... Those ships really are like floating corks with no/limited stabilizer...

I will continue to dispute the 45 degree news until I see pictures of the disabled ship. If the Triumph is really listing 45 degrees, the situation is much direr than generally reported by the passengers. At 45 degrees, floors and walls are at the same angle to the horizontal.

Translation: Your made up information supports my preconceived opinion so I choose to take what you say as expert, factual information.

I am one of the ones she quoted. Nothing I have posted is made up and at no time have I passed opinion without saying it was speculation. I have 20 years USCG experience. I do not have any agenda whatsoever other than passing factual information. Please point out which of my posts you think are "made up information" and I'll be glad to discuss them with you.

Reading through this thread, there's a lot of "CCL can do no wrong" and "CCL is completely evil". Most everything is probably in the middle, with CCL of course concerned about the bottom line (companies have to be), and with real concern from the people that make up the corporation. Is everything in cruising rosy? No. Is everything in cruising above board and open? No.

My thoughts are with the passengers (and crew), and families of the passengers and crew.

At some point (which passed two days ago, IMO), someone has to say "you know what? We care more about the passengers than money at this point. We are going to do whatever it takes to get them home as quickly and as safely as possible, cost be damned."

Unfortunately for CCL, that point has not happened yet.

I find it interesting that Marinetraffic dot com show several CCL ships and their locations at the moment, but Triumph is suspiciously absent from the map???:confused: You'd think they'd know exactly where she is.

BTW Cindy, I'd trust what Paul says pretty much without question, he works in the maritime industry.

You have very little power and are under tow being monitored by the USCG. Why would you waste spare power transmitting that data when you can get it from the tug that is towing you?

Are you posting to get your count up?

I asked you, what is it I don't GET? I said in so many words, why sit at the port a day or two early to wait for a ship that's still out to sea!!

Because it makes them feel less hopeless about a terrible situation beyond their control. Why does it matter to you?

Mobile has 7000 rooms city wide, logistically you wouldn't want to spread out like that. Also, hotels are running nationally about 50 percent occupancy right now, so assuming no large event in town, that means 3500 total available, probably less than 30 percent of that near the port, and some of those taken up by news and families.

If Carnival was totally focused on cost, they could have towed the ship to Galveston and avoided all this, so I simply can't imagine that as a driving factor. Contributing, sure, but not driving.

According to the Mayor, Mobile has 7,000 hotel rooms. I really don't think family members and media are taking up even a quarter of those rooms.

NBC: 'The majority of passengers have apparently chosen buses back to texas immediately' - Paraphrased.

Passenger Interview (typing as fast as possible so may not be literal):

'Food is very sporadic, sometimes they have burgers you have to wait in line for 4 hours, sometimes by the time you get to the end of the line they have nothing left.'

'There have not been days when we got nothing to eat, but sometimes it's just bread and maybe tomato left'

'The crew has been phenomenal, but the leadership...'

'High Seas'. 45 degree angle was quoted...

Their cabin toilet worked one hour out of one day, they were using to room trashcans with bags, transferred to bigger bags.

"Extreme Conditions"

When it comes to the food, I wonder if Carnival had the crew to dish out the food so that the line moved more quickly and no one could take more than they should have. It will be interesting to hear how the crew handled the food situation.

Good interview, they just seemed to want to be in the know not stumped as to how their daughters were doing.

They seemed to be reasonable about CCL and the praised the crew...sounded good to me. Crap happens. But just let us know how it really is that's the jist of their feelings I think.

At some point (which passed two days ago, IMO), someone has to say "you know what? We care more about the passengers than money at this point. We are going to do whatever it takes to get them home as quickly and as safely as possible, cost be damned."

Unfortunately for CCL, that point has not happened yet.

Especially when the CEO recently cashed out to the tune of about $90m.

Actually that would be 90 degrees assuming I read that right. That said, while I doubt it was actually 45 degrees in reality, if you are on an upper deck of a dark disabled ship listing even 10 degrees its going to FEEL like 45.

I will continue to dispute the 45 degree news until I see pictures of the disabled ship. If the Triumph is really listing 45 degrees, the situation is much direr than generally reported by the passengers. At 45 degrees, floors and walls are at the same angle to the horizontal.

I am one of the ones she quoted. Nothing I have posted is made up and at no time have I passed opinion with saying it was speculation. I have 20 years USCG experience. I do not have any agenda whatsoever other than passing factual information. Please point out which of my posts you think are "made up information" and I'll be glad to discuss them with you.

Amen, my dad also has over 20 years USCG experience, 24 to be exact. When we were on the Breeze and there was a Medical Evacuation, a man actually got into a debate with my dad over where the Coast Guard has bases in the Caribbean. After he told him how many years he served, he backed down.

Semper Paratus

You have very little power and are under tow being monitored by the USCG. Why would you waste spare power transmitting that data when you can get it from the tug that is towing you?

You obviously don't know that all ships are required to transmit their locations on a timely basis, it's maritime law. Marinetraffic dot com monitors these transmissions...

When it comes to the food, I wonder if Carnival had the crew to dish out the food so that the line moved more quickly and no one could take more than they should have. It will be interesting to hear how the crew handled the food situation.

As stated by the only person thus far to get off the ship, she said people were taking food back to their companions so everyone didn't have to wait in the 3+ hour lines. It wasn't all due to hoarding... I'm certain there would have been hoarders, however.

This thread has gotten beyond ridiculous. Almost 4000 posts already. I am REALLY surprised with as much censorship that goes on by the Admin on these boards that this pissing match between the Carnival haters and so called "cheerleaders" (what an overused and tired term :rolleyes: )has been allowed to go on as long as it has.

There are no facts being reported anymore. Just mudslinging is all.

I remember the Splendor thread being the same way. A bunch of people hacking it back and forth at each other that werent on board the ship in the first place. Then, once the ship got to port, people started posting that ACTUALLY WERE on the ship and things werent near as bad as were reported by the media and folks here that had no clue :rolleyes:

Yall carry on though.[/QUOt

Very well said. I keep wondering why I keep looking at this junk.

very well said

I read a report several days ago that the list was 4.5 degrees...enough to be discomforting if you walk - but was righted some time after.

45% without motion or stabilizers would be (in my judgement) the tipping point. The ship can be levelled when stationary by transferring water and fuel in the hold.

Just wait until everyone is off the ship.... I am guessing that 3/4 of them made the best of it and, stayed drunk, laughed, made new life long friends, enjoyed extended vacation.. The other 1/4 bitched about everything!!!! I've been on trips (even on the Triumph) with all day bitching even in good conditions....

If you go by what happened on Splendor, you have to distribute the food using a fire brigade method. Food is prepared on lower decks and then needs to be passed up the stairwells to get to the upper decks. Not really a good way speed that up.

Regarding availability of hotel rooms or not: most passengers don't know what we know that there WAS an offer right off the ship and Carnival declined and made other arrangements further away, so most think yea, this is the quickest way to the end. Still speculation whether this decision benefitted Carnival or passengers.

However, if Carnival is really thinking of passenger comfort (yet to be seen), they will have hot washcloths upon entering busses and boxed meals available to them so they can at least ride in some comfort to hotels. These would be small, but much appreciated gestures. Disney gives cold washcloths at Castaway Cay when you arrive back to ship after being on beach. Really nice touch. Providing hot washcloths and a boxed meal wouldn't be hard to do.

Archived