Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The passenger being interviewed on CNN said there is a line for everything...how to get off the ship... what to claim...

i see signs to relatives love you made out on bed sheets, but this guy says they're distress "help" "need food" <----- not sure what sense that makes at this point when they're almost in and food was delivered, but do see "love you" signs to family, kids making complete sense

One network just had a heliocopter in the air showing Mobile Bay and saying "The ship is not in sight, but this is the bay they will use to get to port."

Nothing like having a reporter on a heliocpter watching the bay hours before the ship will even get there.

Next up, how to watch paint dry and make a story out of it...

I think once they got in the rooms, getting them out would be difficult. It's a tough call, I can see both sides but probably would have edged towards just getting them to a room they could stay in once cleaned up.

My point is that they should have given people rooms to get cleaned up in or to make their own ongoing arrangements from instead of herding them like pigs onto a motor coach for another almost three hour ride to NOLA.

CNN has reported that Carnival has decided the ship will dock tonight, period.

The generator was delivered and installed yesterday. It was used for food preparation so passengers got a hot meal last night. According to Carnival conditions aboard have greatly improved.

CNN showing live feed.

Nice to see very calm seas. Current speed apparently around 7 mph.

Frankly the choice to dock or not dock isn't up to Carnival. It's entirely and totally the decision of the harbormaster and USCG. period. If Carnival doesn't like it, they are welcome to take their ship elsewhere.

The camera just did a close up view of the Promenade deck (I think)- people hanging out under duvets on their mattresses. They looked quite cozy and waved to the helicopter. They must be really cold.

Edit: to someone else's comment: It might be the stench, or it might be they have an inside cabin with no power, and it didn't look like many people were outside- maybe they just couldn't handle being around other people any longer? If the stench was SO horrific, wouldn't more people have been out there? (I bet it is bad though...)

The video just showed people on mattresses with comforters out on the lifeboat deck, huddling under blankets.

Brrrr! The stench must be terrible if they're out there.

Yes, I retract my earlier optimistic comment!

I was hoping for the sake of the passengers that maybe things were improving. :(

Frankly the choice to dock or not dock isn't up to Carnival. It's entirely and totally the decision of the harbormaster and USCG. period. If Carnival doesn't like it, they are welcome to take their ship elsewhere.

LIKE! Carnival is NOT in charge of the port and they can only plead their case and hope the harbormaster feels its safe enough.

I was wondering at first, thinking it was all crew, but yeah, definitely bathrobes.

Those carnival robes are warm; I wore mine on my balcony when we were on the Mississippi in February.

That's the only time I ever wore one, sailing out of NY one May and going out on the balcony that first night.

Listening to that interview, one thing strikes me.

I said after the Splendor that one of the better points appeared to be John Heald's communications to the passengers. Seems like that is a real breakdown point on this one.

While they have apparently improved in some areas, this is one I can't understand. A communication plan should be part of EVERY emergency procedure, including regular dissemination of information according to a set schedule.

Agreed.

I don't understand why they don't have a dedicated media relations person to interface with the media. Using executives who have far more important things to do just doesn't make sense. I couldn't believe how they cut short the news conference. Media people want and need sound bites, no matter how repetitive and inane that seems to the one providing the information.

The other thing that got me was Carnival saying they would hold press conferences when they had new information. They really should have scheduled updates. Even if they can only say there is nothing new to add it gives them an opportunity to correct any misinformation that may be circulating.

Archived