Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

There are reports of running water. If thats true, I would find a way to brush my teeth and take a sea shower or bird bath.....Gotta improvise.

Hell some people don't shower when water is unlimited!!

billd

LOL, I was tempted to say a week. I've gotten a whiff of that a few times.

"Well, I went in the pool."

How could they keep them out of cell phone range?? No power for 3-4 days so it would seem logical that most phone batteries are dead.

Why is that a logical assumption? I'm not saying they're keeping them out of range on purpose, but I can say that we cruise regularly, and we turn our cell phones off as soon as we're away from port, might turn them on briefly when we're at a port of call to see if we have any messages, then turn them off again. So, our batteries easily last us the entire trip, even on 7 or 8 day cruises.

Carnival Triumph cruise passengers getting free booze as crippled, stranded 'shantytown' ship is pulled toward Mobile, Ala.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/passengers-crippled-cruise-ship-free-booze-article-1.1263013#ixzz2Kptqo4fe

Problem solved.

The Daily News is not the most reliable source. The free booze comment seems to have come from an unnamed pax onboard, but other pax have said no booze was available.

Why are you assuming that everyone is from that area? I don't know a single person in LA or TX who doesn't make at least a six figure income. I know one from each state who make seven figure incomes. (one is a commercial real estate developer and the other is a filmmaker)

Wow! Talk about being out of touch with the majority.

I wasn't saying they were the same thing... I was saying that if it was possible for you to get to work on Monday, then it is also possible for you to get to work on Friday. Nothing more, Nothing less... It was response to the $500 not covering a full week of missed pay.

It still sounds like you are saying they are the same thing. I live in the Houston area. It is entirely plausible that after a good nights sleep on Sunday night, I could get up, shower in my cabin, disembark in Galveston and at least make a half day of work on Monday if not a full day. But there is no way that those passengers who have been unable to shower, nor I doubt get any decent sleep for days will be able to disembark on Thursday, board a bus still unshowered, travel for HOURS back to Galveston, get their car, get home, get cleaned up and work on Friday. It's ridiculous to suggest that is feasible. And to expect someone to be able to do that seems awfully uncaring.

Per the port spokeman:

"The cruise terminal will have EMTs on stand by for any passengers that need care, said terminal manager Sheila Gurganus. She said it's common for people with diabetes or heart problems to overdo it while on a cruise, which is why the on-site paramedics are standard procedure."

So they do this for a normal cruise also.

I hope she realizes that EMT's and Paramedics are about the same as nurses and doctors.

(Not directed at you!)

Just watched a " dvr ed" show from fox news this afternoon

On the show they had two ladies on. They both had children on the ship , one was with her ex the other lady did not elaborate who her child was with

Both stated they spoke to thier children , both stated thier children were crying , hot, hungry ( eating onion Sammy's )

When the host asked about the compensation ccl was giving

One rolled her eyes the other stated it wasn't going to them

And they were stressed

Interesting

I am sure that since her daughter was on the cruise with her Ex, that the Ex paid for the cruise and he will be the one who is given the compensation.

Thus the rolling of eyes.

Per the port spokeman:

"The cruise terminal will have EMTs on stand by for any passengers that need care, said terminal manager Sheila Gurganus. She said it's common for people with diabetes or heart problems to overdo it while on a cruise, which is why the on-site paramedics are standard procedure."

Sheila Garganus sounds like good people.

In this interview she states several times that the pax are her #1 priority.

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/02/news_conference_qa_with_cruise.html

Thanks for that info. I came away from watching CCL's press conference with the understanding that the rooms would be in a combination of Mobile and NOLA. Now it looks like NOLA only. Wonder why?

Because CCL has contracted rates in NOLA. It's a matter of saving money. Sound familiar?

Carnival reported power restoration in the forward part of the ship on Tuesday so there may be opportunities for at least some people to charge batteries.

Also, the USCG reported this afternoon that they had transferred a generator to the Triumph to provide additional power.

It still sounds like you are saying they are the same thing. I live in the Houston area. It is entirely plausible that after a good nights sleep on Sunday night, I could get up, shower in my cabin, disembark in Galveston and at least make a half day of work on Monday if not a full day. But there is no way that those passengers who have been unable to shower, nor I doubt get any decent sleep for days will be able to disembark on Thursday, board a bus still unshowered, travel for HOURS back to Galveston, get their car, get home, get cleaned up and work on Friday. It's ridiculous to suggest that is feasible. And to expect someone to be able to do that seems awfully uncaring.

ALL I SAID WAS THAT IT IS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE, not that people should do it. Not that it is expected, not that I would do it, not that anyone should do it, not that it should be attempted. Just that it is physically possible.

Thanks for that info. I came away from watching CCL's press conference with the understanding that the rooms would be in a combination of Mobile and NOLA. Now it looks like NOLA only. Wonder why?

ANd technally the are since the CCL employess will be getting hotels in Mobile

But the Mayor said they could have handled everyone. So just wondering why they didnt.

I would think if rooms are available Carnival could have worked out a group discount for one night

Because CCL has contracted rates in NOLA. It's a matter of saving money.

Possible.

Also possible that NOLA has more large hotels and from a logistics perspective it makes more sense to book fewer large blocks of rooms than many smaller blocks.

The Daily News is not the most reliable source. The free booze comment seems to have come from an unnamed pax onboard, but other pax have said no booze was available.

Hehe. The last thing I would do on this cruise except for abandon ship if I were the Captain would be to shut down the booze, free or not.

I agree, that's the first I've heard of free booze. Although nice to have I doubt that they'd open up the bar now especially with minimal, if any, refrigeration and ice. Time will tell once we hear the real deal from passengers tomorrow.

One has to trace back through the responses to see that the poster was simply outlining the need for an apples to apples comparison.

Yes, it is what every good company does. As a stockholder I applaud the effort. Might even be the best option.... what do you think?

I think that given the media scrutiny, I'd be spending the extra $30,000 to get rooms for people in Mobile so they could shower as soon as they got off the ship. I'd be more concerned with making it at least appear that I actually gave a damn about my passengers. The good PR would be worth more than the small expense.

Hehe. The last thing I would do on this cruise except for abandon ship if I were the Captain would be to shut down the booze, free or not.

With nothing better to do and unlimited free booze one might have to worry about passenger safety and well being. One also has to consider the added load on the meager waste disposal resources. Me, I'd want the bartenders doing more pressing work.

ALL I SAID WAS THAT IT IS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE, not that people should do it. Not that it is expected, not that I would do it, not that anyone should do it, not that it should be attempted. Just that it is physically possible.

I also understand what you were commenting on in the beginning.

I personally wouldnt go to work for someone on Monday after getting off a cruise. I know people do(MY GF:rolleyes:)

Most people I know have a set time they need to be at work and cant show up at noon if the shift is 7-7

New Orleans has better food and is more fun. New Orleans has a real airport. New Orleans has cruise ships.

I would think that all the reasons so far stated in this thread are why they are moving people to NOLA:

1) Money

2) Hotel Availability

3) Airport

4) Beads?

5) A bounty scandal?

6) Mediocre football team?

One has to trace back through the responses to see that the poster was simply outlining the need for an apples to apples comparison.

This is her original quote:

And they could also take the bus straight back to Galveston and make work by Friday.

Whether it is physically possible (doubtful) or not, it is a ridiculous and uncaring suggestion. She may not have meant for it to sound like that, but that is how it came across.

Archived