What to do after boarding?

jaspersmommy

I haven't cruised in a while, and will be on the Eclipse on April 6. In the past, it seems that on embarkation days I've always had tours or something else going on that prevented me from boarding until later in the day. This time I plan on being onboard by noon.

After embarking we'll have lunch, but after that -what do you do? I want to see what sort of on-board specials there are at specialty restaurants and the spa. Any other suggestions (keep them clean LOL) about what we should check out?

I haven't cruised in a while, and will be on the Eclipse on April 6. In the past, it seems that on embarkation days I've always had tours or something else going on that prevented me from boarding until later in the day. This time I plan on being onboard by noon.

After embarking we'll have lunch, but after that -what do you do? I want to see what sort of on-board specials there are at specialty restaurants and the spa. Any other suggestions (keep them clean LOL) about what we should check out?

Balcony Club

Our routine seldom varies:

Get Lunch.

Get a drink.

Check dining room for table location.

Go to spa and book massage.

Check out cabin....we do this first if they are available.

Check out pool area....a general ship tour.

Get another drink....by now it's usually sail away time. :D

Join Cruise Critic sail away party, or ship sail away party or just sit on our balcony and enjoy some relaxing privacy while sailing away.

Dang it, I need a cruise soon!

Have lunch.

Check MDR table assignment.

Meet cabin attendant and explain our preferences.

Unpack.

Enjoy the balcony with drinks and snacks.

Browse the ship dailies.

Enjoy, take a deep breath and pinch ourself.... no, this is not a dream, we are on a cruise vacation!

Bon voyage!

Michal

My husband and I usually get lunch, drop our things in the cabin, check out our dining table (if we have fixed seating) then explore the ship. It's usually still fairly quiet so I can get some good pictures. We'll go either top to bottom or botton to top and explore each deck. Even the decks with cabins and the stairwells have some intersting artwork in places. After a thorough exploration, it's time to find a lounger and relax.

If we can't get into our cabin, we find a comfy seat at a friendly bar and break out our unlimited drinks package. I tried a chocolate martini for the first (and last) time when we boarded a few years ago. We waited to have lunch until we could drop our carryons in the cabin.

More recently, we are traveling lighter, so we grabbed a light lunch at the buffet and by the time we were finished, we were able to get into the cabin. We neglected to check our dining table - worst location ever - but then someone has to have that table :eek: in the back of the dining room by the kitchen access.

Maybe for our next cruise, we will go to Cafe Al Bacio since they have really comfortable seats and usually a nice view of others boarding.

When we get on board we are one of the other several thousand at the buffet :). After we eat, we might grab a drink at a bar and walk around....then find another bar and sit and have a drink (after exploring the ship). Then at some point, we make our way to the cabin!

Hangout until we can get into our cabin to drop off our carry on. If our other luggage arrived we will unpack it. Have been on enough cruises to know that the ships are mostly the same. First few hours are tours and tours that are really sales pitches. After we no longer have our baggage we will then stroll around enjoying the ship until the muster drill. After that usually get ready for the sail away.

We hang out in a lounge or outdoor area and have a drink until the rooms are ready...generally 1 or 1:30. Then we go drop off our carry-on bags and put our cash etc. in the safe. By that time the hordes who have been clogging up the Ocean View buffet sitting at tables just waiting till they can get into their rooms are out of there and we have no problem finding a good spot for lunch.

Remember to bring your bathing suit in your carry on luggage if you want to swim. Also give some thought to your embarkation outfit....in case you don't get your bags until late. I know the first evening is not a dressy night....but, for example, bring a sweater or such if you get cold in the MDR. And anything you might want to touch up your hair/makeup etc. if those bags arrive late.

Oh, there is also the "call your friends to brag that you are about to set sail" option!

No matter how many times I cruise...or how old I might be getting, I am still like a kid in an amusement park every-time I walk onboard ! I can't seem to stand still....I excitedly wander the entire ship...exploring every nook and cranny...greeting and smiling at everyone I encounter...perhaps a quick bite in the Cafe...But then, alas, it's time to get serious, and begin my important adult activity...conducting in-depth research to compare and discover my...favorite bartender !! :D...and Barista..(coffee addict !!)

Enjoy !!

Woody

I'm with you, Woody! I am so excited I can't wait to get the fun started! We join 3,000 of our fellow cruisers and have lunch at the buffet, then explore the ship, hopefully after dropping off carry-ons. We enjoy sail away either on our balcony or out on deck with everyone else! So fun!

Archived