Breakfast and Lunch

albones456

Lots of dinner talk... what are your breakfast and lunch recommendations for a couple of 1st time cruisers on FOS?

For breakfast, your choices are Windjammer (buffet) and the main dining room. The MDR will have one different item every day, usually some sort of Eggs Benedict or special egg dish. Chocolate day is interesting too. MDR breakfast also has a small buffet with fruits and cereal.

Lunch is Windjammer (every day) and MDR (sea days only). There's also Johnny Rockets (extra cost), Cafe Promenade (small sandwiches), and Sorrento's Pizza.

Is there a set time for breakfast in the MDR or can you just show up between ?:00 am and ?:00 am? Also do you sit with your dinner companions?

Usually 7-9.

It's open seating, but they usually sit you with other people to fill up a table.

Check the cruise compass everyday, as the timings can change on port days etc. Look out for some of the cafes around the ship too, on Radiance we had a Park Cafe at the Solarium, and it had different food for breakfast lunch and dinner. You could make salads, get toasted sandwiches rolls etc, pizza. That is part of the fun, trying out the different places. Be aware that some places charge for some items, but not always all items. Ben & Jerrys charge for the special ice creams and the specialty coffee shops charge for the coffee, but the biscuits there are not charged. We didn't know that for several days first time! We also enjoy room service breakfast, depends what you like.

I have really liked the ships that are adding the Park Café concept as is lighter and healthier and do not have to 'fight' way around buffet. I am on Liberty next and will probably do MDR or Room Service more.

The lunch Cesar Salad station in MDR , where they make fresh salad with your choice of ingredients, is my favorite.

You can request to not be seated with group at breakfast or lunch, but they tend to prefer you sit at the larger tables. But some days I am just not in the mood for a large table.

The disembarkation morning MDR menu is limited (no specialties) and this is the only day I will now only do Windjammer.

No one has mentioned room service for breakfast and its what we do nearly every morning.

If you have a balcony there is nothing nicer than to sit out in the warm Caribbean air peacefully enjoying breakfast, one of my favourite parts of cruising.:)

Julie

Okay, can someone please take some pictures of the breakfast menus from the MDR? The first cruise I went on I never discovered the MDR for breakfast :(. This time I would really like to check that out and maybe I will like it a lot more than the Windjammer. I am cruising on Liberty in November, so please post! Greatly Appreciated.

The dining room is our choice for breakfast...shorts/flip-flops are fine. It's nice to be seated and served. Food is hot and made to order. Everything you need is on the table....no searching for syrup or butter while your food gets cold!

If you're at the pool, the WJ is the easiest place for lunch. If you aren't in your swimsuit, the dining room is great...again..nice service!

In either venue, your swimsuit must be covered as well as your butt and belly.

The dining room is our choice for breakfast...shorts/flip-flops are fine. It's nice to be seated and served. Food is hot and made to order. Everything you need is on the table....no searching for syrup or butter while your food gets cold!

If you're at the pool, the WJ is the easiest place for lunch. If you aren't in your swimsuit, the dining room is great...again..nice service!

In either venue, your swimsuit must be covered as well as your butt and belly.

My BF was turned away for lunch in the MDR for wearing a sleeveless shirt so just beware, arm for men might need to be covered too.

PANCAKES in the MDR...I love pancakes but they are seldom served hot enough to melt butter.

A maitre'd once told me that I would be better off ordering pancakes containing fruit such as banana or pineapple because they could not be made in advance. That has solved the problem for me on most cruises.

Another option is to ask the waiter to pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds before bringing it to the table....that works wonderfully.

EGGS in the MDR...describe the degree of doneness and let the waiter determine what to call it.

For breakfast, your choices are Windjammer (buffet) and the main dining room.

my last cruise on FOS I had breakfast in the Windjammer every morning and pancakes were great I was surprised by this because pancakes in a buffet are usually terrible, but somehow WJ staff pulled it off. Ate them almost every morning :D yum!

Don't miss the main dining room for breakfast and lunch. You need to go at least once. On our first cruise, we didn't discover the dining room for breakfast until almost the last day. What a shame that was :rolleyes:

We didn't find the MDR for lunch until our 3rd cruise. I remember on the NOS talking to the head waiter and he asked if we had tried the MDR for lunch. I wasn't aware and he was surprised and said we should try it. Now we do about 2 breakfasts and at least 2 lunch in the MDR on a 7 day cruise.

Archived