Review of our first Cruise with P&O on Azura.

Tizzy

I did write a much longer review for Cruise Critic this morning but it suddenly disapeared from the screen. It is so frustrating when this happens ! Anyway instead of writing it all out again I thought I would just put my thoughts on here.

We enjoyed our Cruise very much. It was a difficult choice trying a new brand as we are more used to American style ships. Our last cruise was on Carnival Victory but it was a complete disaster.

P&O had come highly recommended by a number of people including our son who has been very eager for us to try P&O. He currently works on P&O Adonia.

We loved the ship. We have sailed on the Crown Princess previously and therefore knew our way round. We had also enjoyed a lunch on P&O Azura when we visited it in Southampton.

Although we enjoyed this cruise very much we did wonder whether we had made the wrong choice of ship at times. I respect the dress codes and why they are in place but I found it quite hard getting dressed up every evening and found some people tended to over-dress. Why were people wearing Ball gowns on a casual evening ?

We had chosen Freedom Dining as I have a slight disability and was worried if we sat at a large table I wouldn't be able to keep up with everyine else. We were sent away with a beeper on all but two occasions and it just got me down ! We probably should have just opted for the Late Sitting and stuck to the same time slot each evening.

The meals were good I have to say but like someone else who commented recently I disliked the way all the tables were served at the same time. The food did get cold by the time it reached us.

We had a lovely Balcony cabin which was very comfortable. I did miss having a sofa in the cabin. This seems to be standard in Balcony cabins on most of the American ships we have sailed on. The balcony itself was a good size much bigger than other balconies we have had in the past.

We were located on A deck quite near the stairs and lifts. It was a great location for us but we had some very noisy people in the cabin next door. I now know the dialogue for Gavin and Stacey off by heart as, I am sure half the ship do as well. What was worse they were watching it from the balcony with their balcony door wide open ! How do people usually deal with this sort of situation ? I don't like complaining.

The only thing I really disliked on the ship were the Buffet restaurants we always used for breakfast and lunch. As I explained earlier I have a disability and carrying the very heavy trays was extremely difficult, painful and tiring. The Buffet is a nightmare when it is busy as half of it is usually closed off. Why !

People do all manner of stupid things in there, turning around sharply to fetch something they have forgotten or stopping to talk to a friend. I am surprised there hasn't been a really nasty accident in there.

My husband particularly liked the library on board and said the staff were very helpful. I loved sitting at the back of the ship at the lovely teak tables to have a nice cold drink. I think that was my favourite place.

We didn't use the Retreat but have to admit it was a challenge trying to find somewhere to sit on sea-days. I couldn't understand the mentality of people using chairs for their feet, or worse for their handbags, towels etc. It was obvious chairs were in short supply anywhere it was sunny.

Would I go on another P&O Cruise again ?

Yes I definitely would but not another Caribbean one as I personally couldn't cope with the Formal and semi formal dress codes nearly every night. It is too hot in the Caribbean for all these Formal clothes and we have more than enough dressing up to do with our line of work. I think I will have a lot of people criticizing me but this is my opinion. I just want to relax more on holiday. I want to dress smartly but not feel I am in some sort of fashion parade. It is obviously this is what everyone wants and I honestly do respect this. I have to decide however, whether I want to do this in future. I think I would definitely sail on a shorter Cruise with P&O and possibly try a less informal ship next time. I understand the dress code is less rigid on Ventura ? Am I correct ?

If you are new to P&O and I can help with anything to do with Azura please do ask. I will do my best to answer.

In conclusion, I have to say P&O have got the organisation of getting people on the ship in Barbados spot on. Everything went so smoothly.

Thanks to all the Entertainment staff. We thoroughly enjoyed all the sailaway parties, the seventies party and most especially the sing-song while Aida was in port next to us.

All in all it was a very good cruise.

Good point Brian. We simply didn't think to do this.

We were always very late getting back to the ship at Lunch time but most people seemed to be having lunch at 2 pm as well as us. I suppose we just took the easy option. We never got to try the afternoon tea either which was a shame.

Yes Tizzy...I also enjoyed reading your review.

As first timers ourselves this May I am using these excellent forums as a way of learning from other peoples experiences and have already had some lovely replies to a couple of questions.

Glad you had a good time.

Casbar.

Hi. We did not like Azura for many reasons, and I fully understand your hatred of the buffet. It was quite the worst we have encountered, heavy handled knives that constantly fall of the stupid trays that have no edges to them and as you say, people going the wrong way all the time!

I'm surprised you had that many formal/semi formal nights when in the Caribbean? Normally on a port day, it's casual in the evening?

An excellent very honest review. I hate the dressing up too but we tend to mainly do cruises to cold places (Norway, Baltic etc) and it doesn't seem so bad then - not sure why. But I know how you feel. I am not sure if P&O have a vessel with a more relaxed attitude - we are on Oriana in July and I am resigned to packing the old DJ grrr. However no denying that most women seem to enjoy it .

I did write a much longer review for Cruise Critic this morning but it suddenly disapeared from the screen. It is so frustrating when this happens ! Anyway instead of writing it all out again I thought I would just put my thoughts on here.

We enjoyed our Cruise very much. It was a difficult choice trying a new brand as we are more used to American style ships. Our last cruise was on Carnival Victory but it was a complete disaster.

P&O had come highly recommended by a number of people including our son who has been very eager for us to try P&O. He currently works on P&O Adonia.

We loved the ship. We have sailed on the Crown Princess previously and therefore knew our way round. We had also enjoyed a lunch on P&O Azura when we visited it in Southampton.

Although we enjoyed this cruise very much we did wonder whether we had made the wrong choice of ship at times. I respect the dress codes and why they are in place but I found it quite hard getting dressed up every evening and found some people tended to over-dress. Why were people wearing Ball gowns on a casual evening ?

We had chosen Freedom Dining as I have a slight disability and was worried if we sat at a large table I wouldn't be able to keep up with everyine else. We were sent away with a beeper on all but two occasions and it just got me down ! We probably should have just opted for the Late Sitting and stuck to the same time slot each evening.

The meals were good I have to say but like someone else who commented recently I disliked the way all the tables were served at the same time. The food did get cold by the time it reached us.

We had a lovely Balcony cabin which was very comfortable. I did miss having a sofa in the cabin. This seems to be standard in Balcony cabins on most of the American ships we have sailed on. The balcony itself was a good size much bigger than other balconies we have had in the past.

We were located on A deck quite near the stairs and lifts. It was a great location for us but we had some very noisy people in the cabin next door. I now know the dialogue for Gavin and Stacey off by heart as, I am sure half the ship do as well. What was worse they were watching it from the balcony with their balcony door wide open ! How do people usually deal with this sort of situation ? I don't like complaining.

The only thing I really disliked on the ship were the Buffet restaurants we always used for breakfast and lunch. As I explained earlier I have a disability and carrying the very heavy trays was extremely difficult, painful and tiring. The Buffet is a nightmare when it is busy as half of it is usually closed off. Why !

People do all manner of stupid things in there, turning around sharply to fetch something they have forgotten or stopping to talk to a friend. I am surprised there hasn't been a really nasty accident in there.

My husband particularly liked the library on board and said the staff were very helpful. I loved sitting at the back of the ship at the lovely teak tables to have a nice cold drink. I think that was my favourite place.

We didn't use the Retreat but have to admit it was a challenge trying to find somewhere to sit on sea-days. I couldn't understand the mentality of people using chairs for their feet, or worse for their handbags, towels etc. It was obvious chairs were in short supply anywhere it was sunny.

Would I go on another P&O Cruise again ?

Yes I definitely would but not another Caribbean one as I personally couldn't cope with the Formal and semi formal dress codes nearly every night. It is too hot in the Caribbean for all these Formal clothes and we have more than enough dressing up to do with our line of work. I think I will have a lot of people criticizing me but this is my opinion. I just want to relax more on holiday. I want to dress smartly but not feel I am in some sort of fashion parade. It is obviously this is what everyone wants and I honestly do respect this. I have to decide however, whether I want to do this in future. I think I would definitely sail on a shorter Cruise with P&O and possibly try a less informal ship next time. I understand the dress code is less rigid on Ventura ? Am I correct ?

If you are new to P&O and I can help with anything to do with Azura please do ask. I will do my best to answer.

In conclusion, I have to say P&O have got the organisation of getting people on the ship in Barbados spot on. Everything went so smoothly.

Thanks to all the Entertainment staff. We thoroughly enjoyed all the sailaway parties, the seventies party and most especially the sing-song while Aida was in port next to us.

All in all it was a very good cruise.

I couldn't agree more with your comments on formal attire in the Caribbean. Having been on 3 informal cruises(Ocean Village), it was strange to sit in Breakers Bar, having a beer after along day in the sun, to see people on top deck in tuxedos and ball gowns.I am fully aware that some people think that this is an essential part of the "cruise experience", but, like you, I go on holiday to unwind and chill out not to join in a fashion parade.

Much as we liked the Caribbean islands we have given up on cruising for a while, reverting to landbased in Mexico(March), Canaries(June) and Cyprus (September).

Would love to cruise the Caribbean again but with Ventura becoming Azura MK2 with even more formality, it looks unlikely.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

I am afraid that on our particular cruise people were far from casually dressed on a Casual evening. I understand that people like getting dressed up and perhaps I am fortunate in being able to do this quite often but casual should mean casual. I was quite appropriately dressed one evening when someone in a very beautiful but over the top red ballgown gave me a very withering look ! This quite upset me to be honest.

It was so much easier for the men !

I am a little bit upset to hear that Ventura are now following suit and getting more and more formal. I find this surprising as these days more and more people are opting for quietly elegant cocktail dresses in the circles we move in.

Just one more thing ! Please can all the ladies who were wearing all these extravagent gowns tell me how they fitted all these clothes into their suitcase.

I am a little bit upset to hear that Ventura are now following suit and getting more and more formal. I find this surprising as these days more and more people are opting for quietly elegant cocktail dresses in the circles we move in.

Although Ventura is getting some of Azuras features, the dress code remains as it it, Formal or casual.

Thanks for the review Tizzy. We are on the Azura in March and this will be our first time with P & O also and, like you, we have been on the Crown Princess. You gave an honest and personal review without all the name calling that usually goes with it. Well done. May your next cruise live up to your expectations.;)

You are correct sotonjoe the correct name is Smart Casual but what would you call appropriate attire for ladies for a Smart Casual evening ?

People in general weren't wearing what they were meant to wear.

I understand some people want to dress up all the time on a cruise, but then it is the person who is following the rules that ends up looking out of place when everyone is wearing glittery outfits. This might sound obsessive but I ended up printing out a list to pre decide before the cruise what to wear, as I had to stick to the strict weight allowance on Thomson Airways. Trust me this is not relaxing, it is a chore and this chore got tedious as the cruise progressed and I had to find smarter outfits than I thought I would need. Hope this makes sense and I am getting my point across without offending anyone. Yes I admit I had probably chosen the wrong cruise. Perhaps I am just too laid back for all the formalities.

Thanks of the review Tizzy.

I used to worry about the dress code and whether I would be "acceptable" to the "fashion police", but on the past few cruises I have been less bothered. Don't get me wrong, I am one to follow the rules, but for formal nights, I now tend to wear a pair of smart black evening trousers (which can also double for smart casual nights) and a sparky top (I take a few tops to choose from) and black thin black cardigan / jacket. On my last 2 cruises, I also took a long dress and a pair of sparky sandals, but I felt more comfy in my trouser outfit and the sandals I could hardly walk in, so I gave them up and went for comfort!

I did see ladies in long dresses and much more glamorous than I was (and good on them!), but as I felt comfortable and looked smart / formal (IMHO!), and my DH said I looked nice, that was good enough for me!

On my last cruise on formal night, I saw everything from ball gowns to a track suit (yes on a lady!) and everything in between, so as long as you look smart and feel comfortable, I don't see anything wrong in that.

Hope you keep on cruising Tizzy and have a better dining experience next time.

Hi Tizzy,

When we were on Arcadia a few years ago the couple next door had their balcony door wedged open and Only Fools and Horses on, after a few days of this I mentioned it to the cabin boy and he told them the doors shouldn't be wedged open because of the air conditioning and also they turned the tv down as we could also hear it early in the mornings!

Mel

Hi Tizzy!

Glad you enjoyed Azura. I get the impression the ship was fine, just some of the other passengers got you a bit wound up.

Sunbed hoggers are the bane of holiday makers on land and sea. There's no escaping them.

The dress code is only a guide. If I see someone appearing overdressed for the night I just assume they're probably celebrating something like a birthday or anniversary. We've done that ourselves.

I used to fret that I might not 'fit in' but not any longer. I follow the dress code for the night and if DH and I are happy, we just get out there an enjoy ourselves.

I just tell myself,, 'Those that mind, don't matter. Those that matter, don't mind.'

The best accessory to any outfit is a friendly smile, and no one, no matter how well dressed, looks good with their nose in the air!

I do hope you find a cruise that you feel more at ease with. It was nice to hear how your trip went. I wondered how you got on.

:)

We have just got back from the same Cruise (A303N). Our last Cruise was on Carnival.

Had a fantastic time on Azura and yes - the Sail Aaway with the Aida Lunar next door was just such a Hoot. Topped only by the Rhum Runner in Grenada where we were joined by 1/2 the ents team and had a good Jamming session on the beach.

I also agree, 4 formal nights is to many, 2 would have been more reasonable. On the Smart Casual eveinings a jacket was simply to warm. We totally enjoyed dressing up, please don't get me wrong. We just don't see the point of Smart Jacket.

All Round Food was good, Buffet's are always a nightmare with people everywhere. I think some reorganisation would generally help. One silly niggle we had. Most people eat Yoghurt with a Tea Spoon yes ? - Well did anyone actually manage to find a tea spoon ? We ended up asking most days.

All in all, Great Entertainment, Great atmosphere, Beautiful Ship, Great Company and VERY well organised from end to end.

We have just got back from the same Cruise (A303N). Our last Cruise was on Carnival.

Had a fantastic time on Azura and yes - the Sail Aaway with the Aida Lunar next door was just such a Hoot. Topped only by the Rhum Runner in Grenada where we were joined by 1/2 the ents team and had a good Jamming session on the beach.

I also agree, 4 formal nights is to many, 2 would have been more reasonable. On the Smart Casual eveinings a jacket was simply to warm. We totally enjoyed dressing up, please don't get me wrong. We just don't see the point of Smart Jacket.

All Round Food was good, Buffet's are always a nightmare with people everywhere. I think some reorganisation would generally help. One silly niggle we had. Most people eat Yoghurt with a Tea Spoon yes ? - Well did anyone actually manage to find a tea spoon ? We ended up asking most days.

All in all, Great Entertainment, Great atmosphere, Beautiful Ship, Great Company and VERY well organised from end to end.

Neither do I. Whilst I do not mind donning black tie - if there is a special reason for doing so, such as the Captain's reception - there is no logical reason why men should be required to wear jackets on some (none black tie) nights and not on others, seemingly at random.

Tizzy - good review and sorry you had problems with the dress code. You've got me thinking now about what clothes I will be packing for our cruise on Azura. We are due to join the ship in Barbados on the 14/03/13 for 3 weeks and see from our CP that we have 6 black tie, 4 smart (jkt. req'd) and 11 smart casual. Help:eek: !!!!!!!!!....................... Feel sorry for OH as I can at least wear strappy tops/dresses etc. In fact I'll be taking a couple of pairs of black evening trousers and also a couple of pairs of white evening trousers with various tops to choose from. That will have to be ok as I am not going to panic and stress out about the dress code. :p Four weeks to go !!!!!!!.... :eek::eek::eek:

Celebrity used to follow this dress code - formal, semi formal (jackets for men) and casual - and then a few years ago they changed to just formal (dinner jackets) on 3 nights for a 14 night cruise and smart casual (chinos and shirt/polo shirt for men) for the remaining 11 nights. We much prefer it, particularly if you are cruising somewhere hot or flying and have restricted luggage.

Celebrity used to follow this dress code - formal, semi formal (jackets for men) and casual - and then a few years ago they changed to just formal (dinner jackets) on 3 nights for a 14 night cruise and smart casual (chinos and shirt/polo shirt for men) for the remaining 11 nights. We much prefer it, particularly if you are cruising somewhere hot or flying and have restricted luggage.

As far as I am aware the only lines which still persist with the old semi-formal code, jackets required, are P&O, Cunard, Saga and Fred Olsen - the latter two catering mainly for older passengers. Even Holland America, often seen as a bastion of tradition, now only has formal and evening casual. Indeed, the trend is to discontinue formal as well, or at least make it optional as on Regent Seven Seas and NCL.

I have enjoyed reading everyone elses views about the dress codes.

I have come to the conclusion that I prefer to Cruise for just a week at a time ! I much prefer Cruise and Stay holidays. A week on a Cruise ship is just about managable for me but two weeks was just a bit too hard to manage. It became too Regimental. I am now looking for a nice Cruise and Stay holiday for next year. Any suggestions welcomed.

Have a great Cruise PJs. You will be fine. I think I was just not organised enough and underestimated what I actually needed for two weeks. My clothes were also in the suitcase for a few days before the cruise which didn't help and even after careful packing some things were so creased they were unwearable !

Will definitely Cruise with P&O again but will choose a shorter cruise next time. Less Stress !

Archived