Damaged luggage compensation

mmpadp

Anyone ever file a claim with Princess for damaged luggage? Our luggage wheel casing must have gotten caught on something and someone yanked it loose, tearing the wheel and the entire wheel casing right off. We filed a claim and sent in the necessary paperwork (repair estimates/replacement costs etc.) about a week after we came home. So my question is.... Did you receive compensation and was the amount pro-rated; and how long did it take? It's only been about a week since we filed so I thought I'd give them another week before I start bugging them.

Anyone ever file a claim with Princess for damaged luggage? Our luggage wheel casing must have gotten caught on something and someone yanked it loose, tearing the wheel and the entire wheel casing right off. We filed a claim and sent in the necessary paperwork (repair estimates/replacement costs etc.) about a week after we came home. So my question is.... Did you receive compensation and was the amount pro-rated; and how long did it take? It's only been about a week since we filed so I thought I'd give them another week before I start bugging them.

Yes, we filed a claim in the building where we picked up the luggage after the cruise. It was many years ago, but I believe it took 4 - 6 weeks to get the check. Because ours was so long ago, you may want to give Princess a call and find out about their procedures now.

my bag was damaged debarking the island princess last year. I got the papers filled out before leaving the pier and then went to a luggage store when I got home. The owner confirmed that the bag was not able to be repaired, and sold me a better bag which was more expensive that the one that was damaged. I faxed the receipt to Princess and received a cheque for the full value in 1-2 weeks.

I couldn't be happier with how fast Princess dealt with the problem.

we had a damages suitcase a few years ago. Did not notice until we got home. I emailed princess who told me to send a photo of damage and let them know cost of replacement. I did this and received a check promptly.

Just got my check this week! I took my bags to a local repair shop they wrote on company letter head that both were damaged beyond repair and placed the value I asked for on the sheet. I faxed it in to the number on the back of my claim form and called a week later to confirm they had received it. They were very nice and I asked for the check to be fast tracked as we needed to buy new luggage for an upcoming cruise. They were glad to and got it very quickly!

Just FYI if you ever have the reverse (damage while loading), you can talk to your stateroom steward who can bring your luggage to be repaired onboard. We had some luggage that was damaged in transit but not by Princess so they had no reason to do this but they repaired it at no cost! Not a pretty job but it was free and enabled us to use that luggage to get home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Celebrity wrecked my luggage while unloading it in England in May after a transatlantic cruise. In spite of writing to them, with a claim form completed by their Shore Representative, a receipt for the new luggage purchased and also a photo of the damage, I have had a hassle in getting a satisfactory response. My claim to Celebrity was sent on returning home. After 2 phone calls and two e-mails and a delay of 35 days they have now made a deposit to my credit card account for about 70% of the cost of my replacement bag. An additional annoyance is that the replacement bag had to be bought on short notice, it is inferior to my original bag and I bought it at a sale where it had 50% off! How on earth Celebrity came up with an arbitrary reduction in my coast is beyond me. This nickel and dime attitude after my wife and I spent thousands of dollars on the cruise shows the small mindedness of the Celebrity management.

I wonder if others have had a similar problem? I wonder how many pieces of luggage were damaged from this trip? On other cruise lines I have never before seen a Shore Representative with a form specifically for luggage “Lost, Damaged or Unclaimed”.

1734089549_IMG_5022(640x480).jpg.1afc7c20ee7e2bf8834d6f3fe05df4e6.jpg

You posted this on the Princess cruise forums, might want to post it on Celebrity so people can advise of relevant info.

Celebrity wrecked my luggage while unloading it in England in May after a transatlantic cruise. In spite of writing to them, with a claim form completed by their Shore Representative, a receipt for the new luggage purchased and also a photo of the damage, I have had a hassle in getting a satisfactory response. My claim to Celebrity was sent on returning home. After 2 phone calls and two e-mails and a delay of 35 days they have now made a deposit to my credit card account for about 70% of the cost of my replacement bag. An additional annoyance is that the replacement bag had to be bought on short notice, it is inferior to my original bag and I bought it at a sale where it had 50% off! How on earth Celebrity came up with an arbitrary reduction in my coast is beyond me. This nickel and dime attitude after my wife and I spent thousands of dollars on the cruise shows the small mindedness of the Celebrity management.

I wonder if others have had a similar problem? I wonder how many pieces of luggage were damaged from this trip? On other cruise lines I have never before seen a Shore Representative with a form specifically for luggage “Lost, Damaged or Unclaimed”.

One of our cases had a dented corner when it arrived at our cabin. It was in perfect condition when we handed it over to Princess.

I never considered compensation. I simply asked at Customer services if it could be repaired and they promptly did a great job (although you can see the fault lines).

my bag was damaged debarking the island princess last year. I got the papers filled out before leaving the pier and then went to a luggage store when I got home. The owner confirmed that the bag was not able to be repaired, and sold me a better bag which was more expensive that the one that was damaged. I faxed the receipt to Princess and received a cheque for the full value in 1-2 weeks.

I couldn't be happier with how fast Princess dealt with the problem.

I had the same experience many years ago. No problem with Princess. Can't say the same for airlines.

One reason why I love my Eagle Creek bags. They are guaranteed 100% no matter what. After a HAL cruise, the telescoping handle was broken off. Sent it to Eagle Creek and it was returned fresh as new a week later.

I agree, Eagle Creek is very good regarding this.

I stopped sailing with Celebrity after my luggage encounter. We got off the ship in Venice and they couldn't find two of our suitcases. We filed paperwork and left to catch our flight home. I honestly thought they would find the bags and ship them, but when I called after we got home, they said "what do you want us to do...the bags are in Europe!" Well, duh. Anyway, we switched to Princess and never regretted the decision.

I can't say we had a claim with Princess, but we did have a claim in regard to our luggage that got LOST 3 1/2 days on "another" ship. I won't go into the BAD details, but fortunately at that time, we had taken out cruise and flight insurance, or I believe we would have been in a HOLE. :mad:

We had two pieces of damaged luggage which we replaced in Shanghai. One piece was lost, but retrieved and damaged and the other was just damaged. We made the claim with Princess insurance, they asked how much the replacement cases cost and we didn't have a receipt because we bought them at the wonderful outdoor market. We also had to purchase some items for my husband on board until the lost case arrived. Everything was paid in full approx 3 to 4 weeks after filing.

Archived