Gratuities to be added to sea pass account daily.

Why are people saying it is mandatory - it is not.

You can still get the tips removed if you wish to pay cash or not pay at all.

This is the same system as Celebrity operate.

It is NOT mandatory.

Now they can't "forget to tip" they will have to do it consciously. That changes things. That is why they keep saying " mandatory".

Now they can't "forget to tip" they will have to do it consciously. That changes things. That is why they keep saying " mandatory".

I Agree with you that the charges are not mandatory , but the system should be opt -in rather than opt-out

RCCL and others have formulated a very clever system to make you feel guilty if you stray from their "guidelines"

It not a very honest concept

Best Regards

John

You really don't read my posts do you?? ;)

I have and you express yourself in a very pleasant way.

On our most recent B2B2B I asked our cabin attendant whether he preferred us to tip in cash or use the pre-paid gratuities form. (I have done both in the past but for our recent cruises leaned toward the pre-paid gratuities form.)

His response: pre-paid gratuities.

As with you, I have always enjoyed handing out tips in cash at the end of the cruise, however for this attendant I didn't mind one bit doing the pre-paid gratuities.

A suggestion: next time you cruise ask the attendant and waiters which they prefer and go with their desires not you own.

A question, when you eat at SR's do you demand that they remove the part of the 20 or 30 pp bill that is the tip so you can then give a cash tip of your choosing?

No-because in the wording-I already figured that the staff was getting very little. It does not say that the amount is for the gratuity. It says gratuity included. Proof-order a steak in the MDR and they charge you!!!:eek:

To be honest. I'm not a foodie so very rarely go to them. I'm a WJ fan!!:D

I Agree with you that the charges are not mandatory , but the system should be opt -in rather than opt-out

RCCL and others have formulated a very clever system to make you feel guilty if you stray from their "guidelines"

Best Regards

John

No - it will be very easy to opt out - they will not mind and will not quiz you as to why. If they do, simply saying paying cash.

Celebrity mention it 3 or 4 times at least if you wish to opt out.

I always have a cash account for cruises - whilst I leave the recommended tips on the account, I would have no worries about removing them if I wanted to use cash.

I have and you express yourself in a very pleasant way.

On our most recent B2B2B I asked our cabin attendant whether he preferred us to tip in cash or use the pre-paid gratuities form. (I have done both in the past but for our recent cruises leaned toward the pre-paid gratuities form.)

His response: pre-paid gratuities.

As with you, I have always enjoyed handing out tips in cash at the end of the cruise, however for this attendant I didn't mind one bit doing the pre-paid gratuities.

A suggestion: next time you cruise ask the attendant and waiters which they prefer and go with their desires not you own.

Thank you and I have actually thought of your suggestion.

I may very well ask them what they prefer and let them know I would much rather give them cash but will gladly do as they prefer and see how they respond.

Hi Folks

This has been an interesting thread this evening, i appreciate that posters have expressed their views in a polite manner

Thank you .. must toddle off to bed shortly its been a very hot uncomfortable day here in Melbourne its just about 2am

and only another twelve sleeps until my wife and I sail on Rhapsody of the seas

TTFN

john

I thought your last post was one of the most informed on this topic that a poster located in the USA has made

I think most people that I have met from the USA are very nice kind people, I just cannot get my head around their acceptance of this low wage + tips system, I find it a most degrading system .....:)

regards

john

I do think we can learn from other cultures and cruising has become global with a greater percentage of passengers every year coming from other than the USA. That is why I think the compensation system has been changing on cruise ships. When I started cruising last century all gratuities were cash. That reflected a North American passenger profile. That profile has definitely changed since then. I think what is in place now with automatic collection is transitory to a service charge that eventually will be mandatory.........no removal at all. Then maybe even to having it as included in the fare. So I think on cruises it is changing. Within the USA that might take longer if ever. It is even ingrained in the tax code that a per centage of servers income is tips.

Hi Folks

This has been an interesting thread this evening, i appreciate that posters have expressed their views in a polite manner

john

I agree.

Some posters here verge on a classic internet bully and they are the one's I realy want to meet in person!!!:D

enjoy the day!!

Who said I'm suggesting a salary decrease? The overall amount of tips that will be collected under the new policy will be significantly more than with the old policy. That should already be generating a nice raise for the crew without also increasing the recommended tip amount.

I guess I just look at the tips as being part of the salary.

Ok, then how about the bars , coke products, and oj? Do you demand that the ship remove the 15% tip so you can tip in cash as you please?

Actually, you can - it is written into the UK contract that these amounts can be removed. Whether it is in the US contract, I have no idea.

Mind you, I doubt anyone ever has removed them.

No-because in the wording-I already figured that the staff was getting very little. It does not say that the amount is for the gratuity. It says gratuity included. Proof-order a steak in the MDR and they charge you!!!:eek:

To be honest. I'm not a foodie so very rarely go to them. I'm a WJ fan!!:D

Ok, then how about the bars , coke products, and oj? Do you demand that the ship remove the 15% tip so you can tip in cash as you please?

Not at all. Adding one dollar to my drink pales in comparison to $300.00 I'd like my cabin steward to have.

Believe it or not-If going on the reading here from CC-most do not carry small bills with them throughout the day. I find this second nature and always have some singles and fives handy.

FTY-did the soda package once and never again. My family does not fall into the catagory of big soda drinkers. And it had nothing to do with the pre-tip thing. I'd rather give the guy in the WJ a few bucks making the 1/2 and 1/2 Arnold Palmers for my family. and BTW-I have!!!:)

Best Regards

John

I would go the other way. I would make it a mandatory service charge. In the mean time I think opt out is best.

This is a strange thread. I am a bit shocked how mad some on this board are now about Auto Tipping. I personally could care less that it will be deducted automatically. However, what annoys me is that they call it "tips". These are not tips, these are the workers salaries. They said on the news last week that many in housekeeping on cruise ships make less then $.20 an hour in actual salary with the rest coming from tips. Yes, not a typo, that is twenty cents. A tip for me is for good or poor service. My family went out of town last weekend and ate at several different restaurants. I tipped 20% at each meal. However, on one occasion we had very poor service. She kept messing up our order and would not refill drink glasses until we asked twice. She received a tad under 10% from me, but I still tipped. The cruise lines should just add these Auto Tips into the total up front price of a cruise and not have passengers mess with it at all imo. Then if you received good service from somebody that week, a person could always leave more at any time you choose. Quit calling it tips though, we are paying the salaries the cruise lines refuse to pay.

Not at all. Adding one dollar to my drink pales in comparison to $300.00 I'd like my cabin steward to have.

Believe it or not-If going on the reading here from CC-most do not carry small bills with them throughout the day. I find this second nature and always have some singles and fives handy.

FTY-did the soda package once and never again. My family does not fall into the catagory of big soda drinkers. And it had nothing to do with the pre-tip thing. I'd rather give the guy in the WJ a few bucks making the 1/2 and 1/2 Arnold Palmers for my family. and BTW-I have!!!:)

I have given you two clear examples of how the tip system works and its exactly the same for the new tip policy. Your argument seems to center around being able to place money directly into crew hands so you know that it's theirs. When your tip is included in the SR's and for bar and coke service you have no control over who gets the tip, so if it is ok for you that way then you should not have a problem with the new tip policy., unless one does not want to tip.

For example, if you never ate in the MDR would you still tip the staff there?

For example, if you never ate in the MDR would you still tip the staff there?

You know exactly what I am going to say here!! Is this where we really want to go?:D

Answer-no way!!! If I'm eating in the WJ every meal, and sail only in suites [yeah, go ahead, flame me for that too guys:p] they have made it very easy for me to tip all those who serve me very well. I'm giving up my table for those who want it and doing my tipping to all of those other folks. I believe Ocean Boy may be one of the few who understand this theory. :D

So-do we want to go toe to toe on that one or nicely agree to disagree?

Remember setsail- I'm giving out tips-not a surcharge or doing what Royal should be doing-paying these guys an adequate salary.

Besides, why is it anyone's business how I tip. It is a tip and I do tip. I really don't think you need to worry about little old me while on your vacation!! Trust me-my servers are all happy. I don't worry about your servers-should I ?:)

Keep poking the Tiger!!:p

I think they should consider giving us an option for opting out of the MDR all together. I'm happy to pay an increased gratuity in the specialty restaurant to be shared with MDR staff or whatever they come up with as I do think the MDR staff should still be compensated since they have no control over my choosing not to go there.

It's just a waste to reserve a table for me when I'm not going to be there. And I prefer not to have the gratuities added pre-cruise as I always have OBC to pay for them.

Archived