Passport question

GRACECRUISE

Just booked a cruise leaving April 6 - May 6 for Hawaii and Tahiti. Looked at one of our passports and it expires Sept 4. I just looked on the gov't website and it does not appear that any of the South Pacific islands are on the list of countries that have a 6 month expiration time frame. Has anyone traveled on a passport in the 6 month expiration window?

I'll chime in on the renew now. Just did that myself - expedited service by mail with priority mail both ways, and it took just over a week, no expediter required - about $180 total. The hardest part of the whole thing was the picture... Took the place 8 tries to get it right due to lighting issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sail, you must have a better Walgreen's than mine. I went for my last passport photo, and it took a couple of tries to get anything remotely decent. When I submitted it, the replacement passport took a long time to show up. I think TPTB were trying to decide if the photo was "legal", as it looks like I have a giant pumpkin head.

I used to take passport photos as part of a job I had, and I know there was a grid for the acceptable size of the head. My photo is definitely bad, though they did issue the renewal. Maybe they think I really do have that huge of a head??

I have another question regarding passports. I'm am caught between cruises, one coming up in 3 weeks (which I have already checked in on the old passport), then we have another cruise 5 weeks later. When we get back from that we will only have 4 months to the next cruise. My passport runs out the end of October.

Can I keep my old passport and use it until the new ones comes in? or do I have to surrender it? Sorry to be so stupid but this is my first renewal.

Your old passport has to be sent along with the application for the new one. It will be returned to you along with the new one but will have a hole in it so can't be used.

Hated turning in my old passport with all it's stamped pages. The new one looks so empty.

Just booked a cruise leaving April 6 - May 6 for Hawaii and Tahiti. Looked at one of our passports and it expires Sept 4. I just looked on the gov't website and it does not appear that any of the South Pacific islands are on the list of countries that have a 6 month expiration time frame. Has anyone traveled on a passport in the 6 month expiration window?

If there is ANY doubt renew it. It's not worth the risk.

Your old passport has to be sent along with the application for the new one. It will be returned to you along with the new one but will have a hole in it so can't be used.

Hated turning in my old passport with all it's stamped pages. The new one looks so empty.

Thanks the2ofus, appreciate the info. I agree, hate turning in the old one, I looks so much younger.:D

The renews have it. In my heart I knew we had to do it Monday but hated the hassle. Next hurdle, find a postoffice to renew it. Don't think they do it here so we will head out tomorrow about 30 miles or so and get it done.

Thanks

Assuming you're in the U.S., tomorrow is Presidents' Day, so government offices and post offices will be closed.

Go Tuesday! :)

Our passports expire next January and I've just put together the paperwork to renew both of them. We don't have a cruise booked or planned right now but I want the new ones in hand in the next couple of months just in case. Actually going to try to take our own photos per the instructions on the government website. If they don't come out then I guess it's off to someplace like a local UPS shipping store which is where we got them taken nine years ago. Biggest problem now is convincing Mrs. K to stand still long enough for me to photograph her. :) I was thinking of going to the Post Office next week, after the holiday obviously, but looking at the USPS website is seems to say they don't do renewals only initial/new applications.

Last time I needed passport photos for renewal, I went to local Walgreen's. I had just seen an ad that week for something like $5. Fast, easy, in and out of there with my photos in hand.

DW is a passport agent and always sends people in need of photos to Walgreens. I'm sure quality can very by store, but ours does a good job.

The agency she works for used to do them on site for 10 bucks, but it was such a pain that they no longer do them.

DW is a passport agent and always sends people in need of photos to Walgreens. I'm sure quality can very by store, but ours does a good job.

The agency she works for used to do them on site for 10 bucks, but it was such a pain that they no longer do them.

Walgreens is great for passport renewal. They frequently have a discount coupon for the needed photos. Takes just a few minutes.

Looked on line and got application. Just realized that as a renewal no post office needed expcet to mail. Heading into town to get photos this afternoon. By Tuesday it will be on its way. Check that off the list and time to focus on researching the ports. Thanks for the help.

Archived