Advice from "O" Cruisers Needed, considering Princess!

FlipperRae

We need to be in Skagway on July 27th for my brother's (very casual/informal/non-traditional) wedding...I checked the "what's in port" website and have found there are two cruise ships that happen to be in Skagway on this day...a HAL and a Princess, I've done some initial investigation and ruled out the HAL ship but we are seriously considering the Princess cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on the Coral Princess. I am fully aware that we have ruined ourselves for other lines by going on Oceania but unfortunately for us, there is no O option for this. So question for faithful O cruisers, how awful will we find Princess if we decide on this? I did Celebrity on their Summit when it was brand new in 2001 but that's it for my cruising experience. We just loved Oceania so much and can't wait for our next cruise with them! We also have some land options that would allow us to spend a bit more time with my brother and would probably end up being a bit cheaper but my brother doesn't feel it will give us the "full Alaskan experience". I've been to Hyderabad, AK quite a few times, spent a lot of time in the mountains, seen the Salmon glacier, etc. guess I'm just looking for some overall opinions on Princess...

Princess is just fine as long as you remember that you are on the Princess and not Oceania and do not spend ANY time comparing the two. It is important to go with the right expectations and attitude and you'll have a great cruise.

Just think of all the money you saved ! :D

I'm glad you clarified -- was wondering what Hyderabad had to do with Alaska.:)

We've done Princess although not to Alaska. It's a nice line with good food and fine service. Lots on on-board options to keep yourselves busy. They had a very good specialty restaurant on our ship, but you had to pay extra. Not nearly up to Oceania standards, and I'm guessing you'll find lots of kids on that itinerary. Overall though, it's not a bad choice if your options are limited. We have done the HAL Alaskan cruise and you are very wise to pass it up.

The ship docks from 7:30 am and sails at 8:30 pm. He figures they'll be back from the glacier where they are getting married around 3ish which would give us a few hours...I guess he's planning drinks and appetizers at a pub in town and then heading to a lodge about 7 miles out of town for a BBQ and campfire (we would probably miss that part). He didn't seem overly concerned that I would be just "dropping by", actually thinks it sounds cool.

We have done several Princess trips to Alaska as well as 10 others on Oceania. As another poster has said, as long as your expectations are realistic, you cannot go wrong with Princess. And yes, there is a very long stop in Skagway that should enable you to enjoy most of your wedding.

We loved the Coral on our Panama Canal cruise. Lots of viewing areas that are very important in Alaska. This ship along with her sister the Island were designed for Alaska and the Panama Canal.

Outstanding servers in the main dining room for the fixed seating dining time. Food good to excellent. We did the chef's table dinner and loved it.

Princess has been a presence in Alaska for a long time and they do it right. No, it's not Oceania but better in some ways because of their experience in Alaska. We were so excited to see Oceania in Alaska this year but disappointed in the itineraries.

Enjoy the wedding.

We've done Alaska twice on Princess (one just last July) and would do it again. Oceania and Princess are very different lines. I agree with another poster to not try to compare the lines... they are very different.

One thing to consider... what if for some reason (beyond your control) you do not port on that day in Skagway? Would it bother you if you miss the wedding?

We like Princess; We usually take a Mini Suite but we've had Balcony Cabins. We do get Anytime Dining; We think Sabatini's is comparable to the Italian restaurant on O. Steak house, not so much. Service was good; We don't think you'll be disappointed. We haven't encountered many kids onboard but you might have some.

Just go knowing that you will be on a larger ship and plan to have fun - after all you are on a cruise.

One thing to consider... what if for some reason (beyond your control) you do not port on that day in Skagway? Would it bother you if you miss the wedding?

I did think about that because, yes, that would be a tremendous blow. The entire purpose for the trip is because of the wedding. That being said, an Alaskan cruise is on "the bucket list" so that's why we've chosen to do it this way. I spent some time on the phone with Princess and she said that itinerary changes in Alaska are very rare, so I'm hoping she's right. We will go (booked today) and keep our fingers crossed!

Well...

I've cruised twice on Princess...and haven't been much impressed either time...I don't think the ships are well designed for the most part...of course, the Coral is a 90,000 gross ton, 2,000 passenger ship...smaller than the Diamond Princess that we were last on...

On the Diamond, I thought the venues (especially the showroom) were iundersized for the number of passengers...made for a much more crowded feel than one finds on Oceania...or Celebrity, for example...

And we thought the "open seating" option was very poorly run--people were given beepers and made to wait for tables...and then rushed through dinner...I've never seen that on Oceania...

The food and the service will not measure up...OTOH, it's better than eating at Denny's and McDonalds back home (Our dining room service on Princess has varied. On our first Princess cruise, we thought it was good...on our more recent one, we were very disappointed with some poor dining room service)...

OTOH, it's not terrible...certainly not like being on Carnival or NCL...

And, what can be bad about being on a cruise? Any cruise?

As others have said, take the experience for what it is...don't try to compare it to Oceania or you will set yourself up for disappointment...

We cruised on Grand Princess in December, our first mass market cruise in six years, and went with modest expectations.

We were very disappointed in the food, which was poor in the MDR and mediocre in the extra charge restaurants. We checked put the buffet once and that was enough. We were grateful to have the pizzeria and International Cafe aboard as that is where we had our meals, venturing into the MDR twice all week and the specialty restaurants three times with mixed results.

We were constantly bombarded with advertisements for sales and auctions. Entertainment was mediocre. Ship felt crowded.

All in all, we were very disappointed and would not return. I did post a detailed review.

We cruised on Grand Princess in December, our first mass market cruise in six years, and went with modest expectations.

We were very disappointed in the food, which was poor in the MDR and mediocre in the extra charge restaurants. We checked put the buffet once and that was enough. We were grateful to have the pizzeria and International Cafe aboard as that is where we had our meals, venturing into the MDR twice all week and the specialty restaurants three times with mixed results.

We were constantly bombarded with advertisements for sales and auctions. Entertainment was mediocre. Ship felt crowded.

All in all, we were very disappointed and would not return. I did post a detailed review.

We sailed on Star Princess in South America back in 2008. Our experience is a mirror to what this poster experienced. Not one meal in the MDR was even close to memorable, the buffet reminded me of my college days. Would NEVER sail Princess again. We generally sail Celebrity and have sailed Oceania, Royal Caribbean and Renaissance in the past.

Joe

We took our first cruise in 1998. We've sailed NCL twice, HAL twice, Oceania one time, Cunard one time, Princess 5 times, Celebrity 5 times and RCL 5 times. The only cruiseline I would not cruise on again is Cunard. Our Alaskan cruise was on the old Ocean Princess. You will have a great time!

• 5 months later...

We returned from our Princess cruise a couple of weeks ago...two words "NEVER AGAIN"!!!!! It would have been more comfortable to sleep on a sheet of warped plywood and I found both the food and the wine list very disappointing.

The drive from Whitehorse, Yukon to Carcross to Skagway is beautiful. Not too many cars and lots of interesting diversions on the way. We spent a day where we drove from Whitehorse to Skagway and back just this past month and we were glad to do it by land. We have done the Alaskan cruise 4 times and enjoyed each one that we did. Skagway is quite interesting to wander around but has become more commercial. It almost like being in a Caribbean port when you look at the stores. Just go with your glass half full and you will have a good time. I have yet to hear of a cruise ship not being able to dock at Skagway due to weather.:)

Some food for thought. I am fortunate enough to be able to spread my travel dollar rather widely. I have travelled extensively with 27 cruises mostly celebrity and azamara under my belt. Just recently booked an oceania cruise. That saying I absolutely hate the haughty attitude that belittles those who can only afford lines such as princess and actually make fun of people who travel on them. To tell them to tip at McDonalds or stay drunk for 10 days is disgusting. These people have a right to be shown respect nevertheless their economic situation. They too want to be on a cruise and are probably stretching their budget to do so. What a bigoted attitude to find fault with their choice. Their but for the grace of God go I. We are so fortunate in the western world to have so much, shame on those who belittle those who are not able to afford the ultimate. As a Canadian I don't find this attitude to be so prevalent and am grateful for that.

I also have a problem with some comments, however many posters have responded very well. I am aware of how fortunate I am to travel and I always leave home prepared and with a positive attitude. Plus I am very proud to be a soft spoken, easy going Canadian:)

The Coral Princess is a fabulous medium sized ship - we have sailed on her numerous times and would book her again in a heart beat. We've never encountered more than a few families and the average age is generally spread between 50 and 80 year olds. Never have we been run over by a scouter and we've always had wonderful cabin stewards who've made our cruise even more enjoyable. Princess does sell coffee and pop cards as well as wine packages on the first day but after that you won't be bothered by sales pitches. The MDR and speciality restaurants are good - maybe not always excellent but certainly not Denny's or MacDonald's.

Alaska is a beautiful itinerary and the naturalist onboard, especially if you're sailing through Glacier Bay, make the experience all the better.

Don't let people scare you . . . you'll have a fabulous time sailing Princess!

p.s. Enjoy the wedding.

We choose Grand Princess last December for a last minute cruise, when our plans to go to Europe fell through. It had been 6 years since our last mass market cruise.

We went with modest expectations and even these were not met.

The MDR was so bad we had dinner there only twice and then barely touched our food. We had breakfast each morning in the International Cafe, paying $2 for a decent (not good, but better than elsewhere on the ship) cup of coffee and having a slice of their raisin bread or their version of an egg sandwich for breakfast. The buffet ( which was avoid whenever possible) was a mob scene and the food unappealing. We did not bother after checking it out once.

We tried both of specialty restaurants twice. The service was rushed and food mediocre in the steak house and better in Sabatinis. But neither was worth the premium for dining there. If not for their fresh pizza, which was hands down the best food on the ship, we would not have had a decent place to eat. Our best meals were ashore, in San Juan and St. Martin.

There were constant announcements and our mailbox was flooded each day with sale flyers. The entertainment was poor.

We are Platinum with Princess and attended their cocktail hour a few times, where they offered one drink of the day at a reduced price and some minimal crudites.

MUTS was completely obnoxious and the only spot to get away from it all was the Sanctuary, at 30 per person for the day. We did try to get in several times but it was never available, as it was booked for the week by other guests.

Our cabin was fine and we were happy with our extended balcony, where we spent most of our onboard time.

The experience solidified why we no longer do mass market cruises.

It's kind of funny that some of the comments from O cruisers regarding Princess, echo the recent comments from Seabourn cruisers regarding O.

I,guess we all like to look down our noses at someone. I wonder what Princess cruisers comments about Carnival would be?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am not against valid criticism, but I would much prefer that on the Oceania forum, we limit our criticism to issues on Oceania and not to other lines. Comparison can be accomplished without tearing someone or something down unnecessarily.

Wiks

Archived