Do you order more than one entree?

banshee72

Just curious. Am reading a book about one year of working on a cruise ship. The author describes dinner time as an assembly line. The chefs make many entrees and put them out for the waiters to take what they need. He says that if people order more than one entree (and according to him, many do) that it slows down the process as the entrees are soon gone and it causes a much longer wait period for those guests ordering afterwards. Just thought it was interesting how little things that we do can affect those around us....stuff you never would have thought about....at least I wouldnt have thought about it...

I order to my stomachs content :D

My typical is 2 appetizers and one entree, but if there are 2 entrees I really want I'll do 1 appetizer and 2 entrees. I am very conscious of not wasting food though. I never order what I dont think I can finish, just for the sake of tasting it.

I've never ordered a second helping. I don't even see how I could cram that much in my stomach unless I starved myself all day.

Mind you that during my first visit to Chops Grille I attempted to eat everything from my plates...just the normal appetizer, main course, and dessert. I ended up so nauseated from overeating I had to spend the rest of the evening belly-up on the bed.

I call shenanigans. I worked in kitchens for 20 years, we always cooked at least 5 percent more that what you expect to serve for banquets. The leftovers will either go to the help or get used up in soups or salads on the buffet the next day.

I call shenanigans. I worked in kitchens for 20 years, we always cooked at least 5 percent more that what you expect to serve for banquets. The leftovers will either go to the help or get used up in soups or salads on the buffet the next day.

Agreed. Interested to check out the book though!

Also a "late seater"- last cruise, my waiter brought me (for the most part) anything I expressed interest in, even if I didn't order it. For example, if I asked him how the soup was, but ordered the salad, he would bring both. Some nights, DH and I would order a few courses between the two of us and share as well..

I read that book too (just finished actually).

The situation there was that on his ship (CCL Conquest) for some reason it was a long walk to galley, and there were rules on how many plates you could put on one tray, and based on the number of people they had to serve more than a certain mount of extra orders meant more trips to galley, which was a big time suck and put them behind.

the situation could very well be different on different ships or with different systems. The book was set in 2002 so they may have become more efficient since then.

Good book overall but hard to believe some stuff, it was written of course for entertainment, so some artistic license should be expected.

Quote from the book

"As accomplished as the chefs were, the demands of the guests were simply overwhelming. Any guest who ordered two entrees simultaneously, and there were many, could easily wipe out the entire supply of an entree. This brought the line to a halt and forced several hundred other guests to wait."

"...Any guest who ordered two entrees simultaneously, and there were many, could easily wipe out the entire supply of an entree. This brought the line to a halt and forced several hundred other guests to wait."

I call BS too. :p My son ordered multiple at once, entrees each night (which seemed to be the better way of doing it, not one at a time) and we never had to wait, and as far as I could see, no tables around us were left waiting too long, either.

I absolutely agree that the wait staff encourages multiple entrees - as much as we want. Never seemed like it was a problem. :)

Quote from the book

"As accomplished as the chefs were, the demands of the guests were simply overwhelming. Any guest who ordered two entrees simultaneously, and there were many, could easily wipe out the entire supply of an entree. This brought the line to a halt and forced several hundred other guests to wait."

Several HUNDRED? Rookies!

I wonder about the quote about running out of entrees and slowing down the process. The only time I remember talk about slowing down the process was when DH wants two meats on one plate.

I do remember my waiter saying to DH that if he wants two steaks, he would bring two entire dinners rather than replating an extra steak onto his one plate. He said it would slow down the process to replate or ask the kitchen staff to make up a special plate with two steaks.

I would assume it's pretty much an assembly line and any special orders slow down the process.

However, after serving the same dinners every week, I am betting the kitchen has it down to a science and doesn't run out of food because people order two dinners. There are probably dinners that run to duplicates - like on lobster night - but I am sure they have seen it all and know it will happen and are prepared.

And no, I don't order two dinners. After having soup salad and appetizer, one dinner is enough. After all, I need room for dessert. ;)

I did once- I wanted to try lamb (never had it before) but also ordered Salmon as a safety. No one seemed to mind.

On my recent cruise we had a few people not like what they had ordered and the waiter always had them a second entree out in only a couple minutes. Our waiter also would bring you two deserts if you asked him which was better of x or y. I think with the new menu changes he was trying to get a feel for what people preferred as he asked each night our favorites and least favorites.

Archived