Do you order more than one entree?

banshee72

I do agree that the doubling of Entree's will result in a wait time. We always dine at the second seating and after ordering and recieving the Entree I would then ask for something else. Basically after most everyone has been served. My first cruise after I cleaned my plate off my table mate said you should really try the Duck. It was rather good so I always order Duck.

I have to agree with those who are highly doubtful of the claim. As others have said, any competent kitchen repeatedly serving the same menu to the same number of guests will have a very accurate idea of the quantities they will need and the variances they may encounter.

My mother likes to tell the story of a kitchen tour many years ago on a Holland America ship. According to the chef he knew within 5 the number of lobsters that would be ordered that evening, the number of cold soups, and everything else. (Notice I said lobster, not lobster tail. Those were the days.:))

Just curious. Am reading a book about one year of working on a cruise ship. The author describes dinner time as an assembly line. The chefs make many entrees and put them out for the waiters to take what they need. He says that if people order more than one entree (and according to him, many do) that it slows down the process as the entrees are soon gone and it causes a much longer wait period for those guests ordering afterwards. Just thought it was interesting how little things that we do can affect those around us....stuff you never would have thought about....at least I wouldnt have thought about it...

Never double entrees. I have, however, ordered double appetizers (escargot:D). I barely finish what's on my plate when it comes to the entree. I have to watch my ghoulish figure also:)

The only time I've ever had more than one Entree is on the rare occasions when my first choice is not up to scratch, and I don't wish to risk another of the same.

Starters and puds are a different matter though......................;)

PS; I never order more than I can eat - hate waste.

Book is called "Cruise Confidential"

Good book for giving details into the life of cruise ship dining room workers. I am half way through my second reading. My copy has been lent out quite a few times.

As for the original question. No we do not order more than one entrée. I may order 2 appetizers but will then pass on the entrée. We find the portions very large and sometimes cannot finish them.

I've often ordered 2 entree's at dinner (when trying to make my own surf-n-turf for eample), however the waiter never brings them at the same time. When I asked about this on my last cruise, the waiter explained that they are not allowed to have two entree plates on the table in front of anyone at the same time. I ususally end up eating them separately, or shuffling the food to DW's plate until the second entree arrives. :)

I have yet to order multiple entrees or appetizers, but I keep threatening to. Does Chops bill extra if one orders multiple appetizers?

No. At this time they will bring you as many as you want. However, the entrees are so good and so large that it would be a shame not to leave enough room for the entrée and dessert.

I've often ordered 2 entree's at dinner (when trying to make my own surf-n-turf for eample), however the waiter never brings them at the same time. When I asked about this on my last cruise, the waiter explained that they are not allowed to have two entree plates on the table in front of anyone at the same time. I ususally end up eating them separately, or shuffling the food to DW's plate until the second entree arrives. :)

I'm not doubting that you were told that ... there are so many inconsistencies from ship to ship. However, we've never been told that.

Next time you are told something like that, mention it to the Headwaiter or the Maitre'd and you will probably receive the entrees as you request them.

Book is called "Cruise Confidential"

Ha! I thought so! VERY good book. I'm currently re-reading the second in the series, "Ship For Brains." All 3 are good but I must admit that the first is my favorite by far.

To answer your question, no. I do not order more than one of anything. It makes me feel like a pig to order more than one. I don't want to be classified as a "cow animal."

My husband usually orders an entree for his appetizer and then 2 more entrees for his entree. We usually ask right away the first night and see what our waiter says about ordering more than one. I know you can, we just don't want to inconvenience anyone. On both of our cruises, the waiters were more than happy to bring out additional entrees. And on lobster night, I usually order 4-5 plates!

On every cruise, when we ordered 2 entres, they came at the same time.

Navigator, Explorer, and Oasis.

On every cruise, when we ordered 2 entres, they came at the same time.

Navigator, Explorer, and Oasis.

I do the same thing some nights. Always brought together for me as well.

I like that they encourge you to try a few things. Never seemed to be an issue for us.

Happy Cruising.

Also a "late seater"- last cruise, my waiter brought me (for the most part) anything I expressed interest in, even if I didn't order it. For example, if I asked him how the soup was, but ordered the salad, he would bring both. Some nights, DH and I would order a few courses between the two of us and share as well..

This was my experience also. And we were early seating. I am a very picky eater and my loving family made sure that the waiter knew all about it on the first night. I am not very adventurous and there are few things that I actually like to eat. But on a few nights, like lobster night, there were things I thought I might like that I had never tried. Each night my waiter brought out the pasta dish just in case I didn't like what I had ordered. I didn't ask him to, he just did it. And then laughed with the rest of my family when I didn't like what I had ordered.

2-4 appetizers, 1-2 entrees, 1-3 desserts. And no, I don't waste food except the rare times I don't like something. Don't worry, I burn the calories running all over the ship doing tons of activities. :) My wife has a very restrictive diet, so she basically eats salad and steamed veggies. Yes, we are quite the spectacle!

My DW is one of the most finicky eaters ever. When we have a good waiter, by the second or third day they will usually bring my wife 2 or three entres at the same time so that she could try each of them out and hopefully like something. Fortunately for me, it means I usualldy do not have to order a second entree, since I will almost always have a second choice (or third) to chose from. But on that first or second day I will order a second entree or appetizer if there are two items that I cannot decide upon, or if there is something that I want to try, but not sure if I will like it.

Of course not!!! Ordering multiple entrees for one person would be gluttonous and sinful. No one should ever do such a thing. There are starving children in Africa, you know. :p

Seriously, though, it's not really a big deal. If you have a table that's really going overboard with it, it could disrupt the flow of the servers, but the occasional extra entree (or starter or dessert) won't affect the service to other passengers. I rarely order more than on entree, but I have done it before. Once or twice it has been suggested by the waiter, if I seemed to be having trouble deciding between two options. In those cases, I usually tried to share the extra with others in my family, as I don't really need to be eating two full dinners. :o

Just curious. Am reading a book about one year of working on a cruise ship. The author describes dinner time as an assembly line. The chefs make many entrees and put them out for the waiters to take what they need. He says that if people order more than one entree (and according to him, many do) that it slows down the process as the entrees are soon gone and it causes a much longer wait period for those guests ordering afterwards. Just thought it was interesting how little things that we do can affect those around us....stuff you never would have thought about....at least I wouldnt have thought about it...

Dinner is an assembly line. The full kitchen tour you get from the concierge shows that. The waiters drop off the orders and later they line up and sweep through and grab the items.

I have never heard of it slowing down the process. The only way it would do that is if they didn't estimate correctly how many entrees to make.

For example, a few years ago I was on a ship that was very heavy British (over 25% that sailing). The executive Chef took this knowledge and made many more lamb entrees than normal.

I'm surprised with all the multiple food orders. We've never ordered 2 entrees, only rarely 2 apps when the waiter can tell we're struggling to decide and they bring both out.

When we started cruising in 2007 the menu was setup to order app/salad/entree/dessert and usually we were overly stuffed. The recent menus that are more app/entree/dessert still gets us pretty full. Obviously no one's going hungry on a cruise!

Archived