Do you order more than one entree?

banshee72

I didn't set out to order two apps each night. The plan was that if there was something on the menu that I had never had (lobster bisque) I would get it to see if I liked it. Then I realized that if I didn't like it the waiter would end up going down to the kitchen to get me something else that I know I like. So why not order both to start with. There were also a few times where I ordered something that sometimes I like and some times I really don't (mushroom soup). I kept thinking that I would not like one of the two things I ordered. It did happen twice, the lobster bisque and......... it was a fruit plate thing, don't remember the name. Turns out I don't like lobster bisque and the fruit was not very flavor full. Will I order two apps on my next cruise if I am not sure on one or more of them, yes. That way the waiter doesn't have to go back and get me something else.

In addition to an appetizer I will often order a salad. With my entree I will ask for extra green veg which always comes as a side. With dessert this is usually more than enough food for me.

I was brought up to eat every thing on my plate and so I'm not able to leave a partially eaten plate of food. Truly, my conditioning is such that leaving anything on a plate leaves me feeling very uncomfortable.

Is this a record for mains -

Last year on the Victory out of San Juan, next to us was a table for 6 they ordered 22 mains and ate hardly any. They ordered only 19 the next day.

Wow. It would bother me to witness something like that. I hate to see that much waste.

I'm surprised with all the multiple food orders. We've never ordered 2 entrees, only rarely 2 apps when the waiter can tell we're struggling to decide and they bring both out.

When we started cruising in 2007 the menu was setup to order app/salad/entree/dessert and usually we were overly stuffed. The recent menus that are more app/entree/dessert still gets us pretty full. Obviously no one's going hungry on a cruise!

Despite the arrangement of items on the new menus, it is still possible, in fact quite easy, to order an appetizer, soup, salad, entree and dessert. Nothing has really changed except the nomenclature.:)

On our first cruise, a guy at our table ordered many entrees every night. On lobster night he ordered 7. This meant that everybody else had to wait ages for him to finish. Watching him and waiting for him was such a turn off that we decided to try MTD on our second cruise. We will definitely go with MTD again primarily for this reason on our next cruise.

So no I have never ordered a second dinner !

What are the names of the books and who's the author?

Cruise Confidential by Brian David Bruns.

If you search Amazon using the author's name, you will see the other titles.

The first, "Cruise Confidential", is about working in the dining rooms on Carnival ships. Really funny and pretty raunchy at times. Like I said before, they're all good but the first is certainly the best IMO.

The second is "Ship For Brains" in which he's working as an art auctioneer on Carnival and RCI.

The third is "The Unsinkable Mr Brown" which is more about the love story than it is about working on ships. (This one is my least favorite.)

He has a few short stories that you may like as well "Luna Umbra" and the "The Penultimate Mr Nilly", though, when I attempt to search for them on Amazon, I'm not seeing them. To the best of my knowledge, these are digital only.

I ordered a second appetizer on our 3rd or 4th night and was kinda embarassed because it held up the entrees coming out for everyone at my table... thankfully, I was sitting at only a four person table.

I'm not sure if a second entree would have the same effect on dessert.

BTW, we found out later that apparently some of the same foods offered in the dining room are served later in the Windjammer, can anyone confirm that?

I ordered a second appetizer on our 3rd or 4th night and was kinda embarassed because it held up the entrees coming out for everyone at my table...

It should not have.

Did you order the appetizers at the same time, or did you order the second app after getting the first?

Or maybe you just had a bad wait staff.

I ordered a second appetizer on our 3rd or 4th night and was kinda embarassed because it held up the entrees coming out for everyone at my table... thankfully, I was sitting at only a four person table.

I'm not sure if a second entree would have the same effect on dessert.

BTW, we found out later that apparently some of the same foods offered in the dining room are served later in the Windjammer, can anyone confirm that?

Generally the dinner entree offerings in the Windjammer are the same as those in the dining room.

Seriously, how ridiculous is this? Prices would certainly come down even further if cruise lines treated customers the same as restaurants. Who needs (6/7 lobster entrees), 2/3 Apps, 2 or more entrees, multiple desserts? wow!

Seriously, how ridiculous is this? Prices would certainly come down even further if cruise lines treated customers the same as restaurants. Who needs (6/7 lobster entrees), 2/3 Apps, 2 or more entrees, multiple desserts? wow!

Have you ever seen the size of the average cruiser???

Just curious. Am reading a book about one year of working on a cruise ship. The author describes dinner time as an assembly line. The chefs make many entrees and put them out for the waiters to take what they need. He says that if people order more than one entree (and according to him, many do) that it slows down the process as the entrees are soon gone and it causes a much longer wait period for those guests ordering afterwards. Just thought it was interesting how little things that we do can affect those around us....stuff you never would have thought about....at least I wouldnt have thought about it...

On our last cruise our waiter almost insisted that we eat more than one entree. Especially when they had lobster and prime rib. He told us he wanted to make sure we were all very happy with our meals.

Although I've never ordered more than one entree, I have sent them back and ordered a replacement if something doesn't taste right (usually it's a pasta dish that is way too salty).

I have, however, ordered 3-4 appetizers and made a meal of those. I always tell the waiter that's what I'm going to do and not to wait for me to finish my "appetizer" courses before bringing everyone else's entrees. The waiters always tell me they can make the appetizers a main course, but that would then be too much food for me and I politely decline. Gotta save room for a dessert (or two) ya know! ;):D

Archived