Why Join a Roll Call?

CrabbyHarper

Aren't we all meeting for fun, a good cruise and like minded people?

That was the original idea, but over the years it seems the M&G has grown like Topsy. It's as if each one has tried to outdo the other until now there's little opportunity to just sit and chat with people you have come to know on the forum.

I like the roll calls and, for me, they certainly do add to the anticipation of a cruise. The online activity and the actual meet & greet are what draws me there. We once joined a cabin crawl - it was interesting, but I have no interest in doing it again. Over the years, we've met a number of people with whom we've remained friends, and for me ... that's the true value of the roll calls.

Just got off the Noordam and we had an active roll call. It was terrific getting to know each other before hand, and to make some plans for get-togethers. Highlights: Gma Pajama worked hard to set up a wonderful Meet and Greet for us aboard Noordam, and HAL gave us a terrific party with champagne and a chocolate fountain! Kampusa set up a sunset cruise for Curacao which was one of the highlights of our cruise. I got to play Trivia with some of the roll call folks and we had a great time.

While DH and myself were cruising alone, we felt right from the get-go that we had friends aboard!

That's a good reason to join.

That was the original idea, but over the years it seems the M&G has grown like Topsy. It's as if each one has tried to outdo the other until now there's little opportunity to just sit and chat with people you have come to know on the forum.

Grown like Topsy -------I had to laugh because the only other person I have ever heard use that expression is my mother. :)

I have met some people on Roll Calls that I now consider to be lifelong friends.

On other sailings, I've avoided being active because people started getting pushy and fighting. The last thing I want to deal with on vacation are personality conflicts.

B

For everyones edification (through google):

Grow'd like Topsy

Occasionally one hears the expression that something 'grow'd like Topsy'. I thought readers might be interested to know its origins.

In "Uncle Tom's cabin, or Life among the lowly", published in 1852, Harriet Beecher Stowe describes the character Topsy - a wild and uncivilized slave girl who Miss Ophelia tries to reform. In Chapter 20 the novel recounts a conversation between Ophelia and Topsy:

"Tell me where were you born, and who your father and mother were."

"Never was born," re-iterated the creature more empahatically. "Never had no father, nor mother nor nothin'"

"...Have you ever heard anything about God, Topsy?" The child looked bewildered, but grinned as usual.

"Do you know who made you?"

"Nobody, as I knows on," said the child, with a short laugh. The idea appeared to amuse her considerably; for her eyes twinkled, and she added, "I spect I grow'd. Don't think nobody never made me."

At the time of its publication 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' outsold every book previously published in the U.S. except the Bible and readers were charmed by Topsy's declaration that she just "grow'd." Soon "it growe'd like Topsy" had become a popular figure of speech to describe something that grew or increased by itself, without apparent design or divine intervention.

Dan, with apologies for being off topic

Grown like Topsy -------I had to laugh because the only other person I have ever heard use that expression is my mother. :)

Funny, that's an expression I grew up with too (on the other side of the pond) and I still use it, except that it was "grow'd like Topsy". As a child I was somewhat confused as we had a cat called Topsy.:D

Grow'd like Topsy

Occasionally one hears the expression that something 'grow'd like Topsy'. I thought readers might be interested to know its origins.

In "Uncle Tom's cabin, or Life among the lowly", published in 1852, Harriet Beecher Stowe describes the character Topsy - a wild and uncivilized slave girl who Miss Ophelia tries to reform. In Chapter 20 the novel recounts a conversation between Ophelia and Topsy:

"Never was born," re-iterated the creature more empahatically. "Never had no father, nor mother nor nothin'"

"...Have you ever heard anything about God, Topsy?" The child looked bewildered, but grinned as usual.

"Nobody, as I knows on," said the child, with a short laugh. The idea appeared to amuse her considerably; for her eyes twinkled, and she added, "I spect I grow'd. Don't think nobody never made me."

At the time of its publication 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' outsold every book previously published in the U.S. except the Bible and readers were charmed by Topsy's declaration that she just "grow'd." Soon "it growe'd like Topsy" had become a popular figure of speech to describe something that grew or increased by itself, without apparent design or divine intervention.

You never know what you are going to learn on CC. That's part of what makes it so great. Thanks for posting.

Grow'd like Topsy

Ironically Dan organized the first meet and greet we went to:)

first roll call, first everything.

It was great and inspired me to try to do it for other roll calls.

I've met so many great people in advance on our roll calls and it is so much fun when you finally meet them in person:D:D

So my thanks to you Dan - hope to cruise with you again another time:)

Ironically Dan organized the first meet and greet we went to:)

first roll call, first everything.

It was great and inspired me to try to do it for other roll calls.

I've met so many great people in advance on our roll calls and it is so much fun when you finally meet them in person:D:D

So my thanks to you Dan - hope to cruise with you again another time:)

Thanks for the kind words, Jacqui. That was a great cruise, Oosterdam, Venice to FLL, Oct-Nov, 2009.

And I've set up five more since then and a sixth one in progress. It is again on the Oosterdam, Auckland to Seattle, 37 days, beginning on March 30th. We have a very large sign-up so far, over 100!

Still time to join us! Probably some very good bargains at this late date.

Dan

Thanks for the kind words, Jacqui. That was a great cruise, Oosterdam, Venice to FLL, Oct-Nov, 2009.

And I've set up five more since then and a sixth one in progress. It is again on the Oosterdam, Auckland to Seattle, 37 days, beginning on March 30th. We have a very large sign-up so far, over 100!

Still time to join us! Probably some very good bargains at this late date.

Dan

LOL - but we're flying out on May 15th for 31 days on the Prinsendam - I'm not talented enough to squeeze two cruises in that close together:) hopefully there will be another one in both of our futures:D

Archived