Why Join a Roll Call?

CrabbyHarper

Dismaying to read that folks don't like to read about private tours on roll calls. I cruise primarily for the itinerary and I don't enjoy ship tours. One of the real perks of belonging to a site like CC for me is the ability to find like-minded folks to share small tours ashore and/or to find out how to see ports on your own.

On the Cruise Critic introductory message about Roll Calls, it even says "Sharing shore excursions are fun and help you save money." So why do I get the feeling that some people think it's wrong? :confused:

I've not been so lucky - we only have a couple of people on our roll call for this cruise, and the same for my cruise last year (my first one).

I was getting a bit disillusioned with the whole roll call idea but perhaps I need to stick with it and hope there's a big rush in the next couple of months.

Don't worry yet, Callmehalia. Just this week, we finally have 29 signed up on our group, and hopefully more, going April 20. I think people just wait til a month or two to sign up. Not me, I have been on here every day for the last 3 months :) I love reading the new posts, my evening entertainment.

Dismaying to read that folks don't like to read about private tours on roll calls. I cruise primarily for the itinerary and I don't enjoy ship tours. One of the real perks of belonging to a site like CC for me is the ability to find like-minded folks to share small tours ashore and/or to find out how to see ports on your own.

On the Cruise Critic introductory message about Roll Calls, it even says "Sharing shore excursions are fun and help you save money." So why do I get the feeling that some people think it's wrong?

No need to be dismayed,

Speaking for myself..... At this stage, we Don't always sail primarily for the itinerary.

I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with organizing private tours. It's fine and good luck to all who enjoy that.

But please allow those of us that don't wish those private group tours that we should not feel 'wrong' either. :) We like to do what we want, when we want, how we want and not be accomodating. The best way to do that is on our own or with friends with whom we are traveling.

There was someone who used to post here a lot, but I haven't seen her around in a while. When she came on to a roll call, she became very bossy and I know there were a few people who changed cruises because she was going to be on the ship.

I've been lucky with my roll calls because they've all gone very well. There were people who hired a taxi for a tour and tried to encourage others to join them, but nothing was ever said when people didn't take them up on the offer.

As I said, we've been lucky and we've always had fun putting a face to a name. The best roll call I was on was on the NYC inaugural cruise of the Eurodam. I think we had close to 80 people and many officers who attended and then we had a cabin crawl which was very interesting.

On one of our Meet and Greets on the Maasdam, Copper John joined us and it was great fun meeting him.

On the first cruise (HAL) my DH went on, he swore he would never cruise again as he was bored. At that time, I did not know about Cruisecritic or roll calls. It took a lot of talking but he gave it another try 10 years later. I was involved in a rather active roll call for our cruise. There were many wonderful people involved. I talked to him about the other cruisers so he got to know a little about them. Bottom line, we made some life long friends on that cruise. My DH really enjoyed it and being with others on our cruise. He will now join me on cruises and wants to know if there is an active roll call. It's something to become involved in if you want to. It's okay not to join in the activities as a cruise should be what you want it to be.

Diane

I like being alone, reading, drinking beer, basically just enjoying married life.:D

I join roll calls because I like to pump more experienced cruisers for information and always hope to find a like minded friend to spend time with.

My wife seldom takes part in the roll calls, yet she is the one who needs the friends. I don't like the shows or other entertainment, I have cruised enough that all these things are old stuff. DW is still relatively new to cruising and still enjoys the shows and other entertainment. I try to get her to join the roll call so she can find some people to hang out with, but she doesn't find it interesting. Our last cruise though , without participating in the roll call she did meet some lovely people, so maybe next time she will get more involved.

One drawback to roll calls is when someone, or several someones, take it over. For example, one of our roll call members would post everyday that they were online and the coffee was brewing. They would then run down what they were going to do that day, that weekend, that week, etc.

It got to be a bit annoying. My idea of the roll calls is that they should be related to the cruise they are going on. The superfluous stuff they can exchange email addresses and keep it off the boards.

On the Cruise Critic introductory message about Roll Calls, it even says "Sharing shore excursions are fun and help you save money." So why do I get the feeling that some people think it's wrong? :confused:

I don't think it is wrong that some people like to plan private tours.

We are now limited to the Caribbean because we can no longer fly long distances. I gave up reading the Roll Calls for our cruises as all they talked about was beaches and snorkling. And we are not interested in that.

And as I said earlier -- cabin crawls and gift exchanges -- just not for us.

Heavens no! I did not feel that way at all - I was just explaining:) (perhaps the right way to do it as to cabin numbers.:o)

and I totally agree = that stuff should not be on the roll call - your local robber can sign up on the roll call and see everything there. I've been down your road before where someone else was doing the roll call and wanted to list cabin numbers on the roll call - I was very uncomfortable with that. We live in a small suburb and our names are not exactly Smith if you get my drift (even our first names can give us away)

and no one has to participate in a cabin crawl nor should they feel obligated to do so.

It didn't take me long to find you did it?😊

I had no problem sending you our cabin number because I knew you, but it is not something I generally do. There was one roll call that fell apart because I would not give my cabin number and the organiser would have nothing further to do with me. I said I had always just gotten my meeting information from the roll calls in the past and would just turn up for the meet and greet. I did not need an invitation delivered to my cabin. I very politely explained my reluctance to give cabin numbers to strangers but this lady was having none of it.

We eventually wound up arranging to meet up with a delightful young couple and enjoyed their company several times on the ship.

The thing I really enjoy about our present very active roll call is that while a myriad of activities are being planned for sea days, there is no pressure on anyone to participate. It is up to the individual, as it should be.

Some roll calls are more memorable than others but as you spend more time on CC you really look forward to finally meeting some people or reuniting with others. All in all, I enjoy roll calls and meet and greets. :)

No need to be dismayed,

Speaking for myself..... At this stage, we Don't always sail primarily for the itinerary.

I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with organizing private tours. It's fine and good luck to all who enjoy that.

But please allow those of us that don't wish those private group tours that we should not feel 'wrong' either. :) We like to do what we want, when we want, how we want and not be accomodating. The best way to do that is on our own or with friends with whom we are traveling.

I think I phrased it badly in my post. Of course you are entitled to not be interested in reading tour share posts if you are not interested in tours. That's not what I meant to say.

I have to admit that I have no real interest in a lot of onboard get-togethers or "real life" updates from roll call members, but I just scroll through them looking for the info that's pertinent to me.

I simply meant that I often detect an air of disapproval that roll calls should be used for this purpose in some posts (in this thread and other posts on this particular board), which I don't fully understand. It seems to me based on CC's own wording that this is an "approved" usage.

There is no wrong in how any of us choose to enjoy our pre-cruise planning or our onboard cruise experience and IMO no one should be made to feel they should be doing it one way or another. Who cares if someone else chooses to avoid roll calls? If they want their privacy or don't wish to have social obligations while aboard, that is how they should be left alone to enjoy their cruise. IMO I don't want to commit to being at a gathering at 10 A.M. on Tuesday morning or whatever time M & G is planned. I'm on vacation and may not feel like going when that time rolls around. It is far more polite IMO to not commit to attending that to say I will be there and then not be present.

Of course, people should be able to mention their cruise acitivities here be them tours or dinner or bingo or whatever.

When people mention roll calls to those who are asking about private tours, they are doing the 'questioner' a favor IMO Perhaps that person does not know roll calls exist where people on the same cruise can chat in advance of sailing. That is where there is the best chance of them finding more detailed tour information and the opportunity to join with others and share the expenses.

If they know about the roll call and still choose to come here with their comments or questions, fine, IMO.

Sapper1 - I know you on CC - can't wait to meet you in person!!

Thanks. I am looking forward to what I think will be a very congenial group. This is the first time I have seen an organised meet and greet take place prior to the cruise as well. I am excited to meet you and see the work of art name tags you are doing for us. I have heard they are keepers!

Thanks. I am looking forward to what I think will be a very congenial group. This is the first time I have seen an organised meet and greet take place prior to the cruise as well. I am excited to meet you and see the work of art name tags you are doing for us. I have heard they are keepers!

I have had the privilege of seeing her nametags - I used to think I was creative with name tags until I saw hers. They are definitely keepers:D

Welcome Home

Glad you had a wonderful cruise and your Meet & Greet was wonderful.

I stopped signing up for them years ago -- except one time last year. Then we didn't make it to the Meet & Greet because there was a talk concerning a new port that we had never been to.

I stopped signing up because I was not interested in gift exchanges, cabin crawls and all the talk about snorkling and beaches.

What on earth is a cabin crawl?!

We've just booked our second cruise with HAL and have joined our roll call and are participating in the meet and greet.

You've got me worried about what I'm letting us in for! I thought it was just a chat and a few drinks in the Crow's Nest.

Please advise as to what a cabin crawl is! Thanks.

We've just booked our second cruise with HAL and have joined our roll call and are participating in the meet and greet.

You've got me worried about what I'm letting us in for! I thought it was just a chat and a few drinks in the Crow's Nest.

LOL, it is nothing you have to do. If you want just have a drink and chat. :D Bill

LOL, it is nothing you have to do. If you want just have a drink and chat. :D Bill

Thanks for the reassurance - although I still have no idea what it is!

Is sounds like code for (what we in the UK would call) swinging!! :D :D

I'm sure it's not that though. Not on a respectable line like HAL!

a cabin crawl is when some volunteer for the rest of the roll call to see their cabins - ideal scenario - inside, outside, verandah, lanai, superior verandah, deluxe and if you are really lucky the penthouse.

It can really open up your eyes to the different cabins on the ship. If you are lucky and someone has the penthouse, you end up there with drinks and munchies. (did it on the NA and we all brought a bottle of wine - PH ordered muchies and I brought some from the Neptune)

We are doing a cabin crawl on the Prinsendam because the cabins are unique - not even the same category will necessarily be the same. it's a bit of camaraderie, a bit of fun and a bit of an education.

It's always interesting to see the different cabins on any ship;) It can be a lot of fun - but like anything when you cruise - it's all in what you want to make of it.:)

Cabin Crawls are described above in post #21 in this thread......

:o It was easy to miss it. :D

I really opened up a can of worms.:o Sorry! So here is some clarification. I have been on around a dozen or so cruises since I first started posting. I have always subscribed to the roll calls, but have to be honest that in several cases I "lurked" and did not participate much further than one or two posts. Reading -- and joining -- a roll call is completely voluntary, as is participating in any of the events, planned or otherwise.

This past cruise on the Noordam was one of the best roll calls. Just a way to meet really nice people.

If you join a roll call and get bad vibes, just don't continue to post, and don't join in any activities.....this has happened to me several times. I feel that nothing is lost in at least joining the roll call and seeing who might be someone you want to know. You lose nothing by quietly ceasing to read and to post, especially if you have not given your true name and cabin number!

I don't participate in "cabin crawls" or gift exchanges, but if other folks want to do this, I don't mind!

Best to all of you - I hope to meet you some of these days on a roll call! ;)

I really opened up a can of worms.:o Sorry! So here is some clarification. I have been on around a dozen or so cruises since I first started posting. I have always subscribed to the roll calls, but have to be honest that in several cases I "lurked" and did not participate much further than one or two posts. Reading -- and joining -- a roll call is completely voluntary, as is participating in any of the events, planned or otherwise.

This past cruise on the Noordam was one of the best roll calls. Just a way to meet really nice people.

If you join a roll call and get bad vibes, just don't continue to post, and don't join in any activities.....this has happened to me several times. I feel that nothing is lost in at least joining the roll call and seeing who might be someone you want to know. You lose nothing by quietly ceasing to read and to post, especially if you have not given your true name and cabin number!

I don't participate in "cabin crawls" or gift exchanges, but if other folks want to do this, I don't mind!

I am glad you started this thread as it has been most interesting.

As we tend to take longer cruises we have had a chance to get to know some CC members quite well and some we have cruised with more than once. I regret that we all live so far apart and don't have the chance to see each other more often.

I have met some very interesting and most enjoyable people because of CC. I am so glad that I stuck around after I first joined and became part of such a wonderfully helpful community. There aren't too many questions pertaining to cruising that someone here will not have an answer to.

I think a Cabin Crawl would be fun....depending on the people on the roll call. I wouldn't mind having people over for a quick glass of wine and some appetizers. I would love to see the various inside staterooms available on HAL (so far I've only seen 2 configurations). I've already had a verandah, superior, and deluxe. I got to see the penthouse thanks to meeting people on our roll call (Vista class) so I'd like to see it on other ships.

On our very first cruise, there was a person who seemed "different".- a little too anxious to be your friend. He even contacted us at our email and I ignored him (the risk you run if you add your email to your signature). He never showed at the M&G, or I was too busy chatting that maybe I missed him. But, we noticed him around the pool, in bars, the lido, staring at people. Gave me the creeps. He never approached us, so things were fine.

So, even though I feel that all people on HAL are the same as we are, where they just want to have a nice vacation - there is always the chance that someone might not be what they seem. So, if you're doing a cabin crawl....don't leave those sapphire earrings out in view ;)

These are exactly my feelings too. In fact I have recently quietly backed out of a roll call on another cruise line forum because I'm not into gift exchanges, cabin crawls, slot pulls and the like and I back off when someone insists on having my cabin number. It's great for those that do, it's just not for me. I do like to go along to an M&G and love meeting the people I have gotten to know through the roll call. But every now and then, there is one that is just "not right".

From our roll call last year I am still in touch with many people, one couple coming to stay with me in June from across the pond; emails continue to be exchanged with others, and yet others we are cruising with again. Lasting friendships are often made through roll calls.

I've been on Roll Calls where we've exchanged gifts from the area we reside (my husband has a collection in his den/office) - but what happens at a cabin crawl?

One cruise our Roll Call got together for a wine tasting hosted by the couple who were in the Penthouse. All of us in suites pooled our appetizers- plus the ship provided some - and we had a great time!!

OK - More information on what's on involved on a Cabin Crawl and Exchange gifts - all sounds over the top. Aren't we all meeting for fun, a good cruise and like minded people?

Gift exchange -- we live in coal country and still mill country -- all long gone -- also Heinz -- that means that I would have to hunt down a gift representing one of those areas. I would rather pack other items than a cheap gift that most people would just throw away.

Cabin Crawl -- I am not going to waste an hour or so walking all over the ship just to see what type of cabin people have booked.

I have no idea what a "slot pull" is.

When the Meet & Greet's started years ago, it was a nice way to meet others on your cruise. And we enjoyed the few we went to.

Most times nothig was served. A few times there was cookies, coffee and water. Once there was wine.

Archived