Why Join a Roll Call?

CrabbyHarper

Just got off the Noordam and we had an active roll call. It was terrific getting to know each other before hand, and to make some plans for get-togethers. Highlights: Gma Pajama worked hard to set up a wonderful Meet and Greet for us aboard Noordam, and HAL gave us a terrific party with champagne and a chocolate fountain! Kampusa set up a sunset cruise for Curacao which was one of the highlights of our cruise. I got to play Trivia with some of the roll call folks and we had a great time.

While DH and myself were cruising alone, we felt right from the get-go that we had friends aboard!

Just got off the Noordam and we had an active roll call. It was terrific getting to know each other before hand, and to make some plans for get-togethers. Highlights: Gma Pajama worked hard to set up a wonderful Meet and Greet for us aboard Noordam, and HAL gave us a terrific party with champagne and a chocolate fountain! Kampusa set up a sunset cruise for Curacao which was one of the highlights of our cruise. I got to play Trivia with some of the roll call folks and we had a great time.

While DH and myself were cruising alone, we felt right from the get-go that we had friends aboard!

We always join ours, great way to meet before the cruise.

I totally agree with your view about Roll Calls. I find they really enhance the anticipation of a cruise and knowing others on the cruise adds to the experience.

Dan

totally agree - it's fun to have people to plan and anticipate with. We have met some wonderful people on our roll calls:)

Our first cruise I was lucky enough to find Cruise Critic and joined our Roll Call. We met our best cruising friends, Linda & Ryan, there. We live in MN and they live in Vancouver, BC. We've cruised together 3 times now and they've visited us in Minnesota for a vacation and we've stayed with them in Vancouver. The 2 couples are perfect cruising partners. Sometimes we all share excursions together, other times we go our own ways. If my husband has something he wants to do and I don't, he can usually find that Linda or Ryan are interested. We usually meet up for dinner to share our day and sometimes we'll go to a venue together, other times not.

One of the things I like about cruising is all the interesting people you get to meet. Joining the Roll Call just makes it easier and adds to the number of people that make your cruise memorable.

Happy for you that you had fun roll call and that Donna did such a great job. Welcome Back.

Will you be posting some comments about your cruise,,,, hopefully? :)

I always love reading about Noordam.

Roll Calls can be a lot of fun, or they can be a disaster. All depends on how the participation goes.

If there are at least a few compatible people, who want to chat and find things in common---great! :) But if one or two people want to dominate everything, or if a few people want to talk only about private shore excursions, then it can be a real drag for everyone else.

You never know which it will be unless you join in, though. If it goes well, you can have a nice time with new-found friends. If it doesn't go well, you can always drop out.

I've not been so lucky - we only have a couple of people on our roll call for this cruise, and the same for my cruise last year (my first one).

I was getting a bit disillusioned with the whole roll call idea but perhaps I need to stick with it and hope there's a big rush in the next couple of months.

Welcome Home

Glad you had a wonderful cruise and your Meet & Greet was wonderful.

I stopped signing up for them years ago -- except one time last year. Then we didn't make it to the Meet & Greet because there was a talk concerning a new port that we had never been to.

I stopped signing up because I was not interested in gift exchanges, cabin crawls and all the talk about snorkling and beaches.

I've not been so lucky - we only have a couple of people on our roll call for this cruise, and the same for my cruise last year (my first one).

I was getting a bit disillusioned with the whole roll call idea but perhaps I need to stick with it and hope there's a big rush in the next couple of months.

Our roll call last summer didn't get active until a couple weeks before the cruise. So, keep checking in on it.

Roll Calls can be a lot of fun, or they can be a disaster. All depends on how the participation goes.

If there are at least a few compatible people, who want to chat and find things in common---great! :) But if one or two people want to dominate everything, or if a few people want to talk only about private shore excursions, then it can be a real drag for everyone else.

You never know which it will be unless you join in, though. If it goes well, you can have a nice time with new-found friends. If it doesn't go well, you can always drop out.

That's how I feel too. I love roll calls and meeting up with everyone, but if you get one dominant bossy-boots who wants to organise everything and everyone, it puts me right off. I also hate having to give all my information including cabin number, or doing cabin-crawls and gift exchanges. I guess I'm just getting ornery in my old age:o The absolute best roll call ever was the one we had for our Panama cruise last year, great bunch of people, and just a get-together (and a couple of excursions) where over 100 people turned up.

We have always had great roll calls on HAL. I still email some people I've met through them!! And,we have traveled with people met previously on roll calls!

I think it's because HAL attracts friendly people!! Our last Princess rollcall in Sept. was a disaster. The only time anyone posted was when having to do with private tours. It was such a huge disappointment especially considering there were a lot of people on it.

The best part of that rollcall was a couple from our rollcall (who rarely posted) ended up at our table. They were wonderful companions and we still keep in touch. I think they are considering HAL in the future!

My smallest rollcall was on Regent. Another man and I kept it going for about a year. Still keep in touch with him, too! More people came on just before sailing, who we did hang out with on the ship.

That's how I feel too. I love roll calls and meeting up with everyone, but if you get one dominant bossy-boots who wants to organise everything and everyone, it puts me right off. I also hate having to give all my information including cabin number, or doing cabin-crawls and gift exchanges. I guess I'm just getting ornery in my old age:o The absolute best roll call ever was the one we had for our Panama cruise last year, great bunch of people, and just a get-together (and a couple of excursions) where over 100
[size="3"][/size]

people turned up.

I will confess - I ask for cabin numbers- to deliver the meet and greet invites (not on the roll call though, but by email). We have 3 on our upcoming cruise and it is easy to lose track of time;)

Cabin crawls are NOT mandatory - we are having one on our upcoming cruise - heck we have 9 sea days+ - might as well have some fun. Those that want to do it are, those that don't are not being looked down upon:)

Gift exchanges are not my cup of tea either - just another thing to pack and probably something no one wants - although we did have one on the Westerdam & I did decide to participate (a lot easier to pack for that than a 31 day). It was actually kind of ok:)

I'd never suggest gift exchanges for an itinerary like ours and normally I don't participate and again, it's not obligatory - most set that for after the meet and greet (unless everyone is 'in') so that those that aren't can leave.

roll calls can be a lot of fun - it's like a cruise - do with it what you will. Nothing is mandatory on the roll call other than the meet and greet (assuming you asked to be included).

All of my roll calls have been great - but I suspect this roll call for our next cruise will be the best ever. ;)

We had a wonderful M & G on our recent Ryndam cruise...the first time I've been on a RC with a gift exchange. I was a bit skeptical...but, truly, that was the ice breaker and high light of our M & G. Very fun. Perhaps 26 or so in attendance and we met up with many of the roll callers throughout our cruise.

I've been on Roll Calls where we've exchanged gifts from the area we reside (my husband has a collection in his den/office) - but what happens at a cabin crawl?

One cruise our Roll Call got together for a wine tasting hosted by the couple who were in the Penthouse. All of us in suites pooled our appetizers- plus the ship provided some - and we had a great time!!

I've been on Roll Calls where we've exchanged gifts from the area we reside (my husband has a collection in his den/office) - but what happens at a cabin crawl?

One cruise our Roll Call got together for a wine tasting hosted by the couple who were in the Penthouse. All of us in suites pooled our appetizers- plus the ship provided some - and we had a great time!!

a cabin crawl is when some volunteer for the rest of the roll call to see their cabins - ideal scenario - inside, outside, verandah, lanai, superior verandah, deluxe and if you are really lucky the penthouse.

It can really open up your eyes to the different cabins on the ship. If you are lucky and someone has the penthouse, you end up there with drinks and munchies. (did it on the NA and we all brought a bottle of wine - PH ordered muchies and I brought some from the Neptune)

We are doing a cabin crawl on the Prinsendam because the cabins are unique - not even the same category will necessarily be the same. it's a bit of camaraderie, a bit of fun and a bit of an education.

It's always interesting to see the different cabins on any ship;) It can be a lot of fun - but like anything when you cruise - it's all in what you want to make of it.:)

I will confess - I ask for cabin numbers- to deliver the meet and greet invites (not on the roll call though, but by email). We have 3 on our upcoming cruise and it is easy to lose track of time;)

Cabin crawls are NOT mandatory - we are having one on our upcoming cruise - heck we have 9 sea days+ - might as well have some fun. Those that want to do it are, those that don't are not being looked down upon:)

Gift exchanges are not my cup of tea either - just another thing to pack and probably something no one wants - although we did have one on the Westerdam & I did decide to participate (a lot easier to pack for that than a 31 day). It was actually kind of ok:)

I'd never suggest gift exchanges for an itinerary like ours and normally I don't participate and again, it's not obligatory - most set that for after the meet and greet (unless everyone is 'in') so that those that aren't can leave.

roll calls can be a lot of fun - it's like a cruise - do with it what you will. Nothing is mandatory on the roll call other than the meet and greet (assuming you asked to be included).

All of my roll calls have been great - but I suspect this roll call for our next cruise will be the best ever. ;)

Sorry, Kazu, if you thought I was aiming that at you - I wasn't. I was just on one once where the organiser insisted on printing a list of everyone's names, where they were from, and their cabin number, and I feel uncomfortable with that. And I just don't do cabin crawls:o

Sorry, Kazu, if you thought I was aiming that at you - I wasn't. I was just on one once where the organiser insisted on printing a list of everyone's names, where they were from, and their cabin number, and I feel uncomfortable with that. And I just don't do cabin crawls:o

Heavens no! I did not feel that way at all - I was just explaining:) (perhaps the right way to do it as to cabin numbers.:o)

and I totally agree = that stuff should not be on the roll call - your local robber can sign up on the roll call and see everything there. I've been down your road before where someone else was doing the roll call and wanted to list cabin numbers on the roll call - I was very uncomfortable with that. We live in a small suburb and our names are not exactly Smith if you get my drift (even our first names can give us away)

and no one has to participate in a cabin crawl nor should they feel obligated to do so.

That's how I feel too. I love roll calls and meeting up with everyone, but if you get one dominant bossy-boots who wants to organise everything and everyone, it puts me right off. I also hate having to give all my information including cabin number, or doing cabin-crawls and gift exchanges. I guess I'm just getting ornery in my old age:o The absolute best roll call ever was the one we had for our Panama cruise last year, great bunch of people, and just a get-together (and a couple of excursions) where over 100 people turned up.

I agree.

And add that I just about stopped going to M & G's because of complaining that went on. Because I had sailed a lot, for some reason, there were a few there who thought I should do something about their complaints. :rolleyes: Hello, I don't work for HAL.

An officious M & G Organizer and complainers and I'm absent.

I don't want to give out my cabin number and don't want a cabin crawl or gift exchange. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with either, just not to my interest. It works for some and that is great. I wish it worked for me but it doesn't.

I know some folks don't like when others don't participate and actually post about it. That is entirely inappropriate.

Archived