Shorts in the dining room

KCI

Thank goodness that Princess has not degenerated into a Carnival/NCL type atmosphere. We were disappointed to see that Royal Caribbean was not stopping people going to dinner in the MDR in shorts on our Jan. cruise.

It was the same thing this month on RCI & not even nice shorts, shirt & shoes but T-shirt, old shorts and floppers in the dining room at night.

That's interesting because ever since Princess initiated the paper luggage tags that you print off several years ago, my luggage has arrived before or during Muster on every single cruise. One time, it arrived fifteen minutes after I boarded and got to my cabin. I think "late" luggage is either an excuse or not as usual as it used to be.

On our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess, my d's luggage wasn't delivered until almost 7 PM, and she came on a Princess transfer from the airport. Not always an excuse. (And yes, she had appropriate clothing for dinner in her carry on.)

And how difficult is it to pack a pair of slacks and a polo shirt in your carryon?

We always pack a change of clothes whether flying or cruising because you never know what could happen to your luggage.

We were stranded overnight without luggage once when all the airports up and down the East Coast were shut down due to thunderstorms. Luckily, we were in Pittsburgh and they have a mall inside the airport so we went from shop to shop buying underwear, pj's, shirts and toiletries before heading to a hotel for the night. We never travel without a full change of clothes and necessary toiletries in the carryon after that episode.

The latest we ever got luggage was at 7pm on a RCI cruise and that was because they had problems with the luggage scanners. Some passengers did not get it until the next morning. Our Suite Attendant went down to deck 1 and found our luggage for us and brought it up. I just loved that guy!

Normally we have it before we ever sail and I am usually unpacked and have the luggage stowed away before the muster drill.

We always choose late dining so we have time to shower and change before dinner, even on the first night.

We only used carryon luggage on the plane down to FLL (no checked bags). The 2 small bags we actually carried on to the ship ourselvers were chock full of things I actually would have had to have if something had happened to my two other bags between dropping them off at the cruise terminal and them being loaded onto the ship. Slacks and a polo would not have been essential to our cruising experience.

On our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess, my d's luggage wasn't delivered until almost 7 PM, and she came on a Princess transfer from the airport. Not always an excuse. (And yes, she had appropriate clothing for dinner in her carry on.)
Certainly this can happen... late luggage hasn't been eliminated but it's no longer "many" or "most" as it was years ago.

It's probably a generational thing but I board wearing what would be acceptable in the dining room for dinner.

Certainly this can happen... late luggage hasn't been eliminated but it's no longer "many" or "most" as it was years ago.

It's probably a generational thing but I board wearing what would be acceptable in the dining room for dinner.

Pam, you are not alone ... so do I! My DH always has a pair of long pants in his carry on on boarding day just in case.

LuLu

~~~~

Princess really does get a star (lots of stars) for the luggage issue. They get it to you quick. I usually have started unpacking before muster drill and finish shortly after we return from the drill... love their quickness at this.

Thank goodness that Princess has not degenerated into a Carnival/NCL type atmosphere. We were disappointed to see that Royal Caribbean was not stopping people going to dinner in the MDR in shorts on our Jan. cruise.

You are misinformed about NCL. They allow shorts in one MDR, but not the other. In fact, the NCL dress code enforcement is nearly the same as Princess with a couple of exceptions -- one being the shorts in ONE of the MDR's.

That's interesting because ever since Princess initiated the paper luggage tags that you print off several years ago, my luggage has arrived before or during Muster on every single cruise. One time, it arrived fifteen minutes after I boarded and got to my cabin. I think "late" luggage is either an excuse or not as usual as it used to be.

Last cruise we arrived very early to do the BVE with our friends who drove us down to the dock. Our luggage did not arrive until at our cabin until after we sailed and well after dinner. Talk about being worried. It was another four days until the next port!

Make it capris instead of bermuda shorts...

First let me say that on our last couple of cruises I have pointed out to my wife, men who were wearing what I, as a man, can only describe as "capris for men". They were pants that came down the leg to below the knee but above the ankle. So, if I am reading the post correctly, capris are ok for women, so can I assume they are ok for men?? :confused:

First let me say that on our last couple of cruises I have pointed out to my wife, men who were wearing what I, as a man, can only describe as "capris for men". They were pants that came down the leg to below the knee but above the ankle. So, if I am reading the post correctly, capris are ok for women, so can I assume they are ok for men?? :confused:

You first. Let us know how that turns out! :eek:

Not so much a generational thing - what she wore was perfectly acceptable in the dining room. She was just panicking that her luggage wouldn't make the ship!

I was surprised to see a couple of men allowed into the dining room on Smart Casual night in shorts tee shirts and sandals. The Maitre D never batted an eye, so I guess it depends on who is in charge in whatever dining room. I was surprised.

Edited to say this was on the Ruby, this past November.

I was surprised to see a couple of men allowed into the dining room on Smart Casual night in shorts tee shirts and sandals. The Maitre D never batted an eye, so I guess it depends on who is in charge in whatever dining room. I was surprised.

Edited to say this was on the Ruby, this past November.

I was on a HAL cruise and not only did the Maitre d' allow shorts but he led a young woman in "Daisy Duke" shorts and minimal, tight tank top to a table. Not something you would expect to see on a HAL cruise.

I was on a HAL cruise and not only did the Maitre d' allow shorts but he led a young woman in "Daisy Duke" shorts and minimal, tight tank top to a table. Not something you would expect to see on a HAL cruise.

On HAL it may have been one of the older male guests at the table was having heart trouble and needed a defibrillator. When one could not be located fast enough this young woman was brought in as the second option. ;)

On HAL it may have been one of the older male guests at the table was having heart trouble and needed a defibrillator. When one could not be located fast enough this young woman was brought in as the second option. ;)
:) You should have seen the male heads swiveling to follow her progress. Certainly, many were having heart palpitations.

I'm new to cruising and I've only gone on one Carnival cruise, so I'd appreciate it if people don't get angry at me for asking this.

Why are capris acceptable, and I assume skirts that show your knees are acceptable (the same hemline that bermuda shorts would be at, for example), but bermuda shorts aren't? It all seems rather arbitrary.

Bra and panties would show the same amount of skin on the beach, but I'd still rather be seen in a bikini.........arbitrary?

Well, would you care to wear a dress????

I think the difference between capris and long shorts on men is that usually if a woman wears capris to dinner, they are "dressy" or nice looking. If they were sweat pants of capri length, it wouldn't be appropriate. Just like when we say men should wear pants to dinner, we mean nicer slacks, not sweats/track pants. I think most people know what is appropriate and what is not, but some choose to try to nitpick the rules.

Archived