Shorts in the dining room

KCI

On the Caribbean Princess, I heard the maitre d' turn away a man in shorts, but admitted that women in shorts were allowed. I would bet, however, that if a man came to the dining room appropriately attired in Bermuda shorts (with the requisite dark knee socks, jacket, tie and other accoutrements worn in Bermuda), he'd be permitted into the dining room!

On the Caribbean Princess, I heard the maitre d' turn away a man in shorts, but admitted that women in shorts were allowed. I would bet, however, that if a man came to the dining room appropriately attired in Bermuda shorts (with the requisite dark knee socks, jacket, tie and other accoutrements worn in Bermuda), he'd be permitted into the dining room!

Especially if he shaved his legs ... :D

Some of the dresses that are worn today barely qualify as dresses. Some swim suit cover ups have more material. I know my FIL might have some shins kicked raw in a few weeks on Oasis. Granted he turns his whole body to look as they walk by. No defibrillator needed for him.

I have also heard of men not being allowed in the dining room at breakfast since they were wearing tank tops with shorts. I found that to be unfair as the ladies can wear sleeveless tops at dinner, and breakfast is much more casual. Maybe the guys had hairy back sweaters on.:eek:

I have also heard of men not being allowed in the dining room at breakfast since they were wearing tank tops with shorts. I found that to be unfair as the ladies can wear sleeveless tops at dinner, and breakfast is much more casual. Maybe the guys had hairy back sweaters on.:eek:

Very true!

Tank tops not allowed on men but on women they are OK.

Over the years I have seen gentlemen turned away at the dining room door for wearing well tailored shorts. For the first time ever, last month on the Emerald I did notice a couple of gents being admitted wearing "well traveled in" shorts on the evening of embarkation. I can only assume that their luggage hadn't caught up with them or the head waiter just overlooked it for the first evening.

Just to stir the pot a little, many private schools have their younger male students wear shorts, it is part of their uniform and I have seen young males admitted to Princess's dining rooms in shorts....I wonder where the line is drawn.

Bra and panties would show the same amount of skin on the beach, but I'd still rather be seen in a bikini.........arbitrary?

You aren't really comparing apples to apples there - bikinis are made of a special material that when wet isn't see through, keeps its elasticity, and has a longer expected life. If a bra and panties could achieve all those properties, yes, I'd think your decision arbitrary.

I get where the distaste for jeans comes from - historically, jeans were a "working man's" fabric, and not allowing jeans would separate the classes - if you were a manual laborer, you could not afford the fancy clothes required to enter an establishment "above your means".

I can't figure out where the rules for no shorts would have originated. That's why I said it seemed arbitrary - a skirt that length is allowed, so it can't be the visible knees.

Any one know the history of this?

Actually blue jeans and flip flops.

Good to see you back in the saddle.

Hi Jim, yep we are back though still sick.

Neal wore jeans and flip flops the first night, and on the last night shorts and flip flops, (that was the night you and Kathy went to Sabatini's) I was surprised we were not turned away. Maybe that's why we were seated by ourselves :eek:

Thank you again for the cookbook, and your hospitality. E-mail us and let us know how your trip is going!

Not a dinner time. You may get away with it at lunch. It will also tell you in the Patter what is acceptable.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Crown Princes – 2013 Western Caribbean

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

Not a dinner time. You may get away with it at lunch. It will also tell you in the Patter what is acceptable.

You are permitted to wear shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. So yes a pax wearing shorts in the MDR for lunch would "get away with it".

Archived