Venice - from ship to town?

nzdisneymom

We are sailing on Disney Cruise Line and have a port stop in Venice. This will be DCL's first time there, so I don't have anyone to ask about how DCL typically handles getting guests from ship to town - so I was wondering how other cruise lines handle it. Many of the shore excursions they have listed all start with "Travel approximately 20 minutes from the pier via private motor boat ..."

So we were wondering what people that are not going to do a ship-sponsored tour might expect (and I realize it will be just a guess based on experiences with other cruise lines' practices).

They have a Venice on your Own for $49 per person and this is what it includes:

• Travel approximately 25 minutes from the pier via private motor boat to "San Marco" area along the Canale della Giudecca.
  • Be dropped off at a central location and receive just over 3 hours of leisure time to explore Venice on your own.
  • Meet back at the designated time and location for the return transfer back to the ship.

So you see why I'm asking - we would hope we could get ourselves from ship to shore and back for less than $49 each :)

Thanks.

Hi,

You can definitely get to San Marco & back for less than $49!! :)

You could take the Alilaguna (blue line) from the cruise terminal to San Marco.

You could take the people mover to Piazzale Roma & then the vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to San Marco. (this would be the least expensive option).

The following site has all sorts of useful info (including vaporetto & alilaguna info):

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruises.htm

jill

There is a vaporetto at Maritimma where you are probably docked. The cost is 8 Euros each way to San Marco (St. Mark's Square). You can also just walk from the port. You take the People Mover (1 Euros pp) to Piazzale Roma. There are vaporettos here as well that for 6 Euros one way- that take you down the Grand Canal. I recommend walking to San Marco. There will be signs directing you there. The walk takes about 20 minutes without stopping (figure 40 minutes with window shopping) and it is a great way to see Venice. Then you can use the Blue Line to return to the port or take the vaporetto up the Grand Canal and then use the People Mover to go to the port.

Hi,

You can definitely get to San Marco & back for less than $49!! :)

You could take the Alilaguna (blue line) from the cruise terminal to San Marco.

You could take the people mover to Piazzale Roma & then the vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to San Marco. (this would be the least expensive option).

The following site has all sorts of useful info (including vaporetto & alilaguna info):

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruises.htm

jill

Ok, to clear-up any confusion. :)

There is not a vaporetto from the Marittima cruise terminal. The Alilaguna & vaporetto (actv) are separate companies.

As stated in my original post, there is the blue line Alilaguna (from cruise terminal to San Marco along the Giudecca canal). Cost is 8 € one way or 15 € r/t (if you book online, you can save a little ... 7 € one way or 13 € r/t - http://www.alilaguna.com/en/tickets1/fares ).

From the cruise terminal to Piazzale Rome & the reverse, you can take the people mover - 1 € each way.

From Piazzale Roma you can take either the Line #1 vaporetto (stops at every stop along Grand Canal) or the Line #2 (faster route) along the Grand Canal to San Marco. Cost of one way is 7 €. From the cruise terminal to Piazzale Rome & the reverse, you can take the people mover - 1 € each way.

The vaporetto moves along the Grand Canal & the Alilaguna moves along the Giudecca canal. I would opt for moving along the Grand Canal both ways. Not much to see along the Giudecca canal IMHO (plus you will have sailed into VCE along the Giudecca canal).

Your $ outlay for r/t vaporetta plus r/t people mover = 16 €.

But, the Alilaguna is very convenient to the cruise terminal. :) So, it just depends on what you want.

There is a great FREE Grand Canal Tour audio guide (using the vaporetto Line #1) that you can download for your MP3 from Rick Steves' site:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/0602/italy-audio-tours.htm

Enjoy!

jill

Thank you so much for the information. I had read a recommendation for Vaporetto #1 but didn't know that Rick Steves had an audio guide to go with it - adding this to the list!

I don't know what your total time in port is, but I would think a "best experience" approach would be to take the People Mover train to Piazzale Roma and then take that #1 Vaporetto to the San Marco stop. I think it takes about 45 minutes for that ride. But it will give you a GREAT feeling for the canal experience in Venice. You'll also pass under the Rialto Bridge, which is one of the sights you want to see. In fact, time permitting, you could get off at the Rialto stop and take pictures and then get back on another #1 (consider getting a day pass if you plan a few rides). Once you get to San Marco, then you can tour the basilica, climb the tower, spin around in the square, chase the pidgeons, walk back to the Rialto area if you didn't already stop there, etc. Rick Steve's #1 route guide is great.

Just my two cents- the vaporettos chug along the Grand Canal spewing out exhaust and grinding to a halt. I found it tiresome. They do make lots of stops.

Walk- that is by far the best way to experience Venice. It is a bit exhausting and you may want to take the Alilaguna (sorry I called it a vaporetto) Blue Line back to the port or the vaporetto up the Grand Canal.

I like the Alilaguna in the Basin. I thought it was great- there are only two stops. I've done that route many times instead of the Grand Canal. I've also done the Grand Canal on the vaporetto and didn't like it.

All of this is excellent advice.... my suggestion is don't concentrate only on San Marco. Taking a boat from ship to San Marco and then back is really not the way to experience Venice. As others have said, I would take people mover to P. Roma, then vaporetto through the grand canal or walk from P. Roma to S. Marco - which will take you across the Rialto Bridge. How about vaporetto one way and then walk back? I did not find vaporetto rides slow, I enjoyed them very much and an excellent way to see the sights and sounds of Venice.

Thank you so much for the information. I had read a recommendation for Vaporetto #1 but didn't know that Rick Steves had an audio guide to go with it - adding this to the list!

Hi Cindy

That podcast is great (as are his ones for St Mark's Square and St Mark's Basilica) and I had a go at making a video of the route while listening to it

Due to occasionally being on the wrong side of the vap, or in a poor vantage point, I had to do this from 4 separate rides (2 in the wrong direction, so on those clips I reversed the footage) but I got most of it.

For those staying at the Santa Chiara Hotel, that's the large building at 0.30-34 on the right of the small bridge. All the best, Tony

Wow - what great information - thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and tips and suggestions!

We have an overnight stay in Venice, arriving mid-day and then leaving late afternoon the following, so we have (plenty of) time to see more than we would on a day stop. We are particularly interested in exploring on our own at least the first day when there is no concern about not being back onboard in time. For the second day, we might do a ship sponsored excursion over to Murano and Burano.

I would take the people Mover from the Cruise Terminal to Piazzale de Roma. From there Vaporetto # 1 or # 2 down the Grand Canal to Piazza San Marco .

It is 30 minute walk back from Piazza San Marco to Piazzale de Roma . The walk is signed and it starts between shops on the right hand side of Piazza San Marco (facing away from the Basilica) . You just follow the directional signs to either Piazzale de Roma or Ferrovia (St Lucia Railway Station).

From P d R take the People Mover back to Cruise terminal . From Ferrovia walk along the canal side towards P d R over a new glass footbridge to P d R then its the People Mover . The People Mover is in the rear LH corner of P d R . You can certainly do it for a lot less than $ 49 . , and have a lot more fun .

I'd avoid the #1 because it stops about 20 times. The #2 also goes down the grand canal but makes fewer stops.

Be sure to validate your vaporetto pass every time you use it.

Taking the vaporetto down the Grand Canal is a highlight of every visit for me. The slower the better .. I get to enjoy the beautiful scenery surrounding me. On our last trip we rode on a traghetto ... a poor man's gondola ride. They're pretty much hollowed out gondolas that take people across the Canal at places where there is no bridge. It was a hoot!

Check with your library to see if they have any of the Rick Steves CD's.

Also, this site has excellent info on all things venice. Enjoy your trip!

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Take the vaporetto or you might miss seeing the Grand Canal!

DO NOT take a transfer from the cruise terminal to St. Marks Square as it usually will go there via the sea lane (the same way the ship will depart) and NOT via the grand canal! You must see the Grand Canal....that's the Venice in all the pictures!

HAVE EURO CASH at the Vaporitto station as they did not accept any plastic or other currency.

Here's how to get the front row seat on the Vaporetto (thanks to a Rick Steves TV spot): The P Roma station is the "first stop in the line" for the vaporitto. Get on the line for St. Marks Square and when you get to the front to get on the boat step aside as though you are waiting for someone. Wait for the next boat to come in empty.

Be the first to board the empty boat. Go straight to the seats in the very front of the boat. They are in the open air. Get the seats on the left side of the boat if you can as that is the St. Marks side. Sit down and enjoy the very best view of Venice as you go down the grand canal. It's a WOW! Great way to start your time in a beautiful city.

Enjoy!!!

Take the vaporetto or you might miss seeing the Grand Canal!

DO NOT take a transfer from the cruise terminal to St. Marks Square as it usually will go there via the sea lane (the same way the ship will depart) and NOT via the grand canal! You must see the Grand Canal....that's the Venice in all the pictures!

HAVE EURO CASH at the Vaporitto station as they did not accept any plastic or other currency.

Here's how to get the front row seat on the Vaporetto (thanks to a Rick Steves TV spot): The P Roma station is the "first stop in the line" for the vaporitto. Get on the line for St. Marks Square and when you get to the front to get on the boat step aside as though you are waiting for someone. Wait for the next boat to come in empty.

Be the first to board the empty boat. Go straight to the seats in the very front of the boat. They are in the open air. Get the seats on the left side of the boat if you can as that is the St. Marks side. Sit down and enjoy the very best view of Venice as you go down the grand canal. It's a WOW! Great way to start your time in a beautiful city.

Enjoy!!!

Wow, thanks! This is great info to know about.

hi Cindy

When are you going?

As we are going on 19 July with Splendour of the Seas.. not Disney :cool:

hope you all are well.

Scottishwee35

We will be in Venice on July 4-5. Sorry we won't overlap. We would have loved to see you and your sweet family.

Wow, thanks! This is great info to know about.

We had a similar overnight last year. Took the people mover to Piazzle Roma. Then we bought 36hr passes you could also go with the 24 hr just depends on how much you want to run around. We then went straight to Murano and toured around for awhile then back to a stop across from the cemetery island. We then just started walking and getting lost in one of the most awesome cities in the world. We spent most the day from San Marco to Rialto and all points in between. Had lunch at a little place of the tourist path very nice and inexpensive. Found a nice canal side restaurant and made reservations for dinner. Went back to the ship got cleaned up and a little rest then back for dinner. Then more wandering around at night. And a night time cruise down the grand canal back to Piazzle Roma. Just love being able to overnight. Will be doing the same in Istanbul this year. Larry

We've decided to do a ship tour on the day we arrive that is from 1:15 - 7 pm and goes to Murano and Burano - we figure that will get the places that are a little further away done AND give us a chance to get an overview of how things are in Venice. Then when the excursion is over, they will drop us off at St. Marks Square or return us to the ship (we will probably go back to the ship as it will be dinner time). We may or may not go out for a bit afterwards, just depends on how we feel about it.

The next morning, we have the Secret Itinerary tour at Doge's Palace scheduled for 9:55 a.m. which means we need to be ther by 9:30 to pick up our reserved tickets - I can ask this in a separate thread if no one knows here, but I was wondering how much time to allow for travel time between the cruise terminal and St. Marks Square. The tour is 1 hr 15 minutes so we figure we will be done with it by 11:30 and our ship doesn't have an all aboard until 5 p.m. so we can get some lunch in town and explore more on our own. The other question is the reverse - how much time should we allow for returning from St. Marks Square back to the cruise terminal?

We've decided to do a ship tour on the day we arrive that is from 1:15 - 7 pm and goes to Murano and Burano - we figure that will get the places that are a little further away done AND give us a chance to get an overview of how things are in Venice. Then when the excursion is over, they will drop us off at St. Marks Square or return us to the ship (we will probably go back to the ship as it will be dinner time). We may or may not go out for a bit afterwards, just depends on how we feel about it.

The next morning, we have the Secret Itinerary tour at Doge's Palace scheduled for 9:55 a.m. which means we need to be ther by 9:30 to pick up our reserved tickets - I can ask this in a separate thread if no one knows here, but I was wondering how much time to allow for travel time between the cruise terminal and St. Marks Square. The tour is 1 hr 15 minutes so we figure we will be done with it by 11:30 and our ship doesn't have an all aboard until 5 p.m. so we can get some lunch in town and explore more on our own. The other question is the reverse - how much time should we allow for returning from St. Marks Square back to the cruise terminal?

There are various ways to do it. The most direct is the alilaguna private water bus BLUE line. It leaves every 30 minutes from the cruise terminal at 20 and 50 minutes after the hour and arrives at St Marcs 30 minutes later.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu/blu-timetable

If the port is particularly busy and the water bus were to fill up, I don't know whether or not they run extra boats or whether you have to wait for the next one. To be at the ticket office by 9:55 you would have to get the 9:20 or preferably the 8:50 water bus.

Other options are water taxi. 15 minutes up to 8 people. Not too expensive IF you share. That would be my choice if you can find 8 to share.

People mover to Piazzal Roma and 35 minute walk or People mover to Piazzal Roma and no 1 (slow) or no 2 (express) water bus. Allow an hour and 1/4.

Return I would go up the Grand Canal in one direction and direct in the other. The direct alilaguna water buses leave St. marks at 12 and 42 minutes after the hour and again take 30 minutes with 3 stops in between. The grand canal route is the reverse of the above. Allow at least an hour

There are various ways to do it. The most direct is the alilaguna private water bus BLUE line. It leaves every 30 minutes from the cruise terminal at 20 and 50 minutes after the hour and arrives at St Marcs 30 minutes later.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu/blu-timetable

If the port is particularly busy and the water bus were to fill up, I don't know whether or not they run extra boats or whether you have to wait for the next one. To be at the ticket office by 9:55 you would have to get the 9:20 or preferably the 8:50 water bus.

Other options are water taxi. 15 minutes up to 8 people. Not too expensive IF you share. That would be my choice if you can find 8 to share.

People mover to Piazzal Roma and 35 minute walk or People mover to Piazzal Roma and no 1 (slow) or no 2 (express) water bus. Allow an hour and 1/4.

Return I would go up the Grand Canal in one direction and direct in the other. The direct alilaguna water buses leave St. marks at 12 and 42 minutes after the hour and again take 30 minutes with 3 stops in between. The grand canal route is the reverse of the above. Allow at least an hour

Thanks so much for this info. As it turns out, there are a couple of other families on our cruise who are doing the same Secret Itinerary tour so I will pass this on to them as well - we can figure out how to get there together (and make sharing the water taxi's more affordable). I appreciate the response and details (and links - I hadn't seen the information about the alilaguna yet.

Archived