restaurant and mdr dress code

nursemommy7578

Business/Resort Casual is just fine.

For men, that means tucked-in shirts with collars, long pants (One MDR allows shorts) and shoes. Jackets or ties are never required. Often, sandals are allowed, too.

From the NCL website (FAQs)

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't cruised on NCL in 4 years, it looks like the rules have changed about jeans. So, nice dark jeans are allowed in the main dining room?

Yes.

From the Gem's Freestyle Daily:

Dress code: Dinner in Le Bistro and Grand Pacific (aft main dining room) is Smart Casual - collared shirts and pants or nice jeans with closed-toed shoes for men. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts, and tops for women. No baseball caps or visors. (Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips and in good condition.)

All other restaurants: Cruise Casual - Khakis, jeans, shorts, casual shorts for men (no tank tops). Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts, or pants and tops, summer dresses. Capri pants, shorts jeans.

Still dont understand the dress code

You can wear shorts but not thongs:rolleyes:

Are you asking about open-toed shoes or bikini underwear?

(Seriously, I haven't heard anyone refer to sandals or flip-flops as "thongs" since I was a kid :D)

All kidding aside, the way I read it is that the two "Smart Casual" venues request no shorts or sandals, while the remainder of dining is "Cruise Casual" where they are perfectly acceptable.

I hope I am getting this right, as our upcoming TA on Star will be our first NCL cruise since the SS Norway in the '80s and very likely our first ever sans fashion police. I know that I will reflexively don Smart Casual or better attire each evening out of habit--but this time if the guy at the next table is determined to share his fungused toenails and hairy armpits with the world...well, c'est la vie.

Are you asking about open-toed shoes or bikini underwear?

(Seriously, I haven't heard anyone refer to sandals or flip-flops as "thongs" since I was a kid :D)

Im from California and grew up wearing thongs on my feet long before they were womens underwear.;)

I haven't cruised on NCL in 4 years, it looks like the rules have changed about jeans.

So, nice dark jeans are allowed in the main dining room?

I sailed on the Spirit in 2006 and noted a sign near the entrance to the main dining room that stated: no ripped jeans in the dining room. Thus jeans without rips were allowed. That surprised me as on other lines means were verboten.

Haven't cruised NCL since 08....no "formal" nights like other cruise lines?

I take it the "Dress up or Not Night" must be similar to other cruise lines "formal night"? How many people dress up? Do any men wear jackets, tuxes or suits? Is there a Captain's Party or repeat passenger party?

cruising next week ill be wearing shorts to the mdr with a clean shirt

just an fyi...I did see people refused dinner service in the MAIN DR...because they were wearing shorts....

just an fyi...I did see people refused dinner service in the MAIN DR...because they were wearing shorts....

3 ncl cruises wore shorts every night to MDR and havnt been turned away yet... even wore shorts to sushi and moderno resturant..

I personally observed on the Epic a guy being denied entrance to Manhattan MDR because he was wearing shorts and crocs.

3 ncl cruises wore shorts every night to MDR and havnt been turned away yet... even wore shorts to sushi and moderno resturant..

And there's a good reason you weren't turned away...because they're only prohibited in one of the two MDRs and one specialty restaurant...Le Bistro.

And there's a good reason you weren't turned away...because they're only prohibited in one of the two MDRs and one specialty restaurant...Le Bistro.

And If i ever wanna eat at Le bistro or the more formal MDR i'll follow the rules and wear pants.. Happy cruising to all!

Archived