1st Cruise, Venice to Rome, Disembarking in Rome

deus

This is our first cruise we would like to have some information on the process of disembarking, Ship is the Ruby Princess. We are taking all cruise port tours except for the last Rome (Civitavecchia) port where we disembark. We are planning to have a company pick us up in Civitavecchia take us to our hotel and then bring us to our tour guide to the Colosseum etc. and then to the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel etc. We will only be in Rome one day and leave the following day. Our ship gets into Port at 4 am. How fast can we get off the ship - would we be able to get off by 6:45 am and then be in Rome by 8:00 am

Sorry for the lengthy explanation and thanks in advance for your advice!

While it's not Rome, in Venice our ship was cleared, we could get off, but couldn't go further than the customs hall as there was no one there to clear us into the country until close to 9:30. The Italians are not known for their efficiency. Repeat that mantra and remember it, as it's something you'll need to say over and over while in Italy.

While it's not Rome, in Venice our ship was cleared, we could get off, but couldn't go further than the customs hall as there was no one there to clear us into the country until close to 9:30. The Italians are not known for their efficiency. Repeat that mantra and remember it, as it's something you'll need to say over and over while in Italy.

I haven't cruised into Venice (yet; will be doing so in April), but have disembarked in Civitavecchia 5 times. I've never had to go through any sort of customs there. Once the ship is cleared, you simply walk off, pick up your bags (if not carrying them with you) and depart.

I think 6:45 is a reasonable time to plan for. If you are willing to carry your own luggage you can usually be in the first disembarkation group.

I haven't cruised into Venice (yet; will be doing so in April), but have disembarked in Civitavecchia 5 times. I've never had to go through any sort of customs there. Once the ship is cleared, you simply walk off, pick up your bags (if not carrying them with you) and depart.

I think 6:45 is a reasonable time to plan for. If you are willing to carry your own luggage you can usually be in the first disembarkation group.

Venice was our turnaround city for our B2B. We had booked the Secret Itineraries Tour (and I think you were one of the people very helpful with Venice questions--thank you!) and needed to be there on time.

From the time we arrived (already later than scheduled) it was about 30 minutes until they cleared the ship. Into the terminal we went, only to be stopped in our tracks. There was no way out, as there were no immigration or customs officials there and the exits were locked. We waited another 20+ minutes with various officials showing up, seeming very confused that we were standing there, and leaving before finally a couple of them showed up, verified our passports, and let us out. We didn't need to go through Customs as we had nothing to declare, but there were customs officials near the baggage area.

Anyhow, what should have been a fairly leisurely stroll through Venice to get to Doges Palace turned into the Amazing Race.

Venice was our turnaround city for our B2B. We had booked the Secret Itineraries Tour (and I think you were one of the people very helpful with Venice questions--thank you!) and needed to be there on time.

From the time we arrived (already later than scheduled) it was about 30 minutes until they cleared the ship. Into the terminal we went, only to be stopped in our tracks. There was no way out, as there were no immigration or customs officials there and the exits were locked. We waited another 20+ minutes with various officials showing up, seeming very confused that we were standing there, and leaving before finally a couple of them showed up, verified our passports, and let us out. We didn't need to go through Customs as we had nothing to declare, but there were customs officials near the baggage area.

Anyhow, what should have been a fairly leisurely stroll through Venice to get to Doges Palace turned into the Amazing Race.

Yikes! Hopefully you made it okay.

I'll be on Aegean Odyssey and we actually have two overnights in Venice before the cruise ends, so hopefully there won't be any snafus on morning #3. All I have to do is make it to the train station by 9:15 or so for my train to Rome.

Yikes! Hopefully you made it okay.

I'll be on Aegean Odyssey and we actually have two overnights in Venice before the cruise ends, so hopefully there won't be any snafus on morning #3. All I have to do is make it to the train station by 9:15 or so for my train to Rome.

We made it with just a few minutes to spare. We got lucky that we were some of the last allowed onto a crowded Alilaguna. If we had to wait for the next one we wouldn't have made our tour.

Have a great cruise!

This is our first cruise we would like to have some information on the process of disembarking, Ship is the Ruby Princess. We are taking all cruise port tours except for the last Rome (Civitavecchia) port where we disembark. We are planning to have a company pick us up in Civitavecchia take us to our hotel and then bring us to our tour guide to the Colosseum etc. and then to the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel etc. We will only be in Rome one day and leave the following day. Our ship gets into Port at 4 am. How fast can we get off the ship - would we be able to get off by 6:45 am and then be in Rome by 8:00 am

Sorry for the lengthy explanation and thanks in advance for your advice!

...6:45 am is possible. We were one of the first ones able to disembark in Civitavecchia but had to make sure we were in line early and carried our own luggages...we were off the ship by 7am. Once off the ship, you'll have to get in line for the free shuttle that will take you for a 10-minute ride to the port gate. Walk outside the gate and you're in Civitavecchia. The ride to Rome will take you approximately one hour depending on traffic. Getting to Rome by 8am is doable but IMHO...it is unlikely. Happy sailing and have a wonderful day in Rome! :)

Just to be clear we are first time cruisers with no so called senority. So there is no priority disembark procedure, Princess Tours off first, Elite, Platinum persons off first. Any one can disembark early and first as long as we keep our luggage and carry them off the ship? I plan on confirming my plans with our pick up at the ship and the guide.

Just to be clear we are first time cruisers with no so called senority. So there is no priority disembark procedure, Princess Tours off first, Elite, Platinum persons off first. Any one can disembark early and first as long as we keep our luggage and carry them off the ship? I plan on confirming my plans with our pick up at the ship and the guide.

On Princess, you do not have to have any seniority/status to use the so-called "Walk Off" disembarkation. You only have to be able to handle and carry off your own luggage.

You will need to let the ship know that you plan to use this option when the information about your disembarkation plans is collected onboard.

Our first cruise was Venice to Rome (Eastern Med and Greek Islands) on Emerald Princess in 2008. When I saw that you were doing a similar itinerary all I could think of was our trip - the first day was spectacular, from our first sight of the ship (we knew it would be big but our first view just before we rounded the corner into the berth we thought it was an office block!) and then the most stunning sailaway! It really is the most awesome sight as you sail all the way out, I took dozens of photos.

We went straight to the airport in Rome, so I can't help there. We have been on land tours to Rome, and I can only concur that you do need to have a relatively relaxed attitude to your tour, you will get to see an awful lot, but only a tiny fraction of what Rome has to offer, so don't be too disappointed if you miss little bits. On our trip to the Vatican museum we had to rush somewhat as we had a train to catch, back to Siena, and it was too fast to take in the beauty of all the other art as well as the Sistine Chapel. It really is stunning.

Archived