Rumor - CCL considering a baggage fee?

maxxboy

I was on a flight the other day and struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me. Come to find out the are avid cruisers and were recently on a Carnival cruise (I don't remember the ship), and according to her, their room steward told them CCL was considering a limit of 2 checked bags per passenger, and there would be a fee for 3rd+ bags checked in. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I hope it isn't true.

It actually wouldn't surprise me. It seems like it would be the next nickel and dime thing to occur. Since the airlines started charging so much, our family (and I am sure many others) have just packed lighter.

For myself, wife and 8 year old, we each carry a small rolling suitcase, a size that fits in the overhead of a plane, and carry either a large purse or book bag/backpack as well. These two items per person are very managable even for our 8 year old. This way we always have our luggage as well, nothing gets lost. No checking luggage at the airport, no paying porters, no waiting for luggage to come to the room. The savings is so worth it. 10 days gone easily with this system (unless you pack formal).

I was on a flight the other day and struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me. Come to find out the are avid cruisers and were recently on a Carnival cruise (I don't remember the ship), and according to her, their room steward told them CCL was considering a limit of 2 checked bags per passenger, and there would be a fee for 3rd+ bags checked in. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I hope it isn't true.

I doubt that there's any validity to that rumor. Why should Carnival care, after all these years, how many bags you have? It's not like a few extra suitcases on board is going to have any adverse effect on the ship's fuel consumption.

Wouldn't shock me.

When cruising, we typically overpack, at least if we're driving. It would cause us to look at the amount of luggage we bring (though 2 checked bags per person would be plenty). Just like with airlines, every piece of luggage costs the line money in handling and fuel costs (however small).

I don't see how there is any way for carnival to know how many bags each person is checking. You drop your checked bags with a porter and there is no carnival rep out there counting. That would be a total waste of time... In Galveston there are probably 40 to 50 spots where people and luggage are off loaded at the same time, so it would take an additional 40 to 50 carnival reps to pull that off. I don't see them wasting that much time and effort...

Wouldn't be surprised. They'd have to do away with Cruise Elegant night though. BUT with a considerably lesser volume of bags to examine they'd probably due away with much smuggling. Plus it costs them when the port employees handle those bags as well. Win win for the cruise line.

I don't see how there is any way for carnival to know how many bags each person is checking. You drop your checked bags with a porter and there is no carnival rep out there counting. That would be a total waste of time... In Galveston there are probably 40 to 50 spots where people and luggage are off loaded at the same time, so it would take an additional 40 to 50 carnival reps to pull that off. I don't see them wasting that much time and effort...

They would have the crew delivering them count or the cabin stewards count them and bill your s/s account. That would take no extra people, just more work for someone.

depending on the fee would be worth it to make people pack less, and if when counting they moved them in the room would be great.

I wouldn't put it past them, but I can't imagine why anyone would need or even want more than two checked bags in the first place.

Thinking the same thing. Before we became platinum DW and I easily made due with one bag each.

And of course she got the bigger oneicon7.gif

I doubt that there's any validity to that rumor. Why should Carnival care, after all these years, how many bags you have? It's not like a few extra suitcases on board is going to have any adverse effect on the ship's fuel consumption.

They care, they see it as a way of generating revenue.

It's easy. All they need to do is put something on the luggage tag that states FIRST BAG and SECOND BAG and the porter is only allowed to handle those bags that have that marking. If someone wants to buy a 3rd bag fee, it would say 3RD BAG FEE paid. Any bags without these markings the porter would refuse to load and would direct you to a Carnival line to pay for your extra baggage fees. Just like the airlines, specifically Spirit, who has someone standing at the gate checking to make sure you paid for your carry-on, if you didn't she'll stop you and tell you to go pay at the podium (at an extremely higher fee because you didn't pay for it before printing boarding passes).

I wouldn't put it past them, but I can't imagine why anyone would need or even want more than two checked bags in the first place.

You must have never heard of chronic overpacking syndrome. I'm afflicted with it, and I have yet to find a cure.

That lets me out even if is true I only bring one checked bag.

It's easy. All they need to do is put something on the luggage tag that states FIRST BAG and SECOND BAG and the porter is only allowed to handle those bags that have that marking. If someone wants to buy a 3rd bag fee, it would say 3RD BAG FEE paid. Any bags without these markings the porter would refuse to load and would direct you to a Carnival line to pay for your extra baggage fees. Just like the airlines, specifically Spirit, who has someone standing at the gate checking to make sure you paid for your carry-on, if you didn't she'll stop you and tell you to go pay at the podium (at an extremely higher fee because you didn't pay for it before printing boarding passes).

That system would be very easy to defeat, and therefore pointless.

Carnival has fees already for items that cost nothing extra such as faster to the fun. If you want to get faster to the fun, arrive early, than you have accomplished it. Now pay for it and it's awsome. (I don't carry bags on, so having access to the room for many is pointless, but can be good for others I guess). So baggage fees would just be another way to collect money without performing an extra service. Just like when you book, you can have the same room on deck 3, but will have an upcharge for midship etc. Why not have all the rooms the same price, and first come gets first pick like other cruise lines? I figure they are cutting all entertainment, and another year or two, they will bring some back, and charge for it as "something new".

I cant imagine anyone needing more than 2 bags per person. If more space was needed, im sure another person in the same cabin would have space left over in there's. Its a cruise, not a 3 month contract for an episode of "Survivor". :rolleyes:

On our 8 day cruise we had 3 bags for our family of 4 and the only thing we really missed bringing, was a couple extra nice shirts for dinners. :D

especially those who have to fly to port!!!

Even for a 15 day cruise I have no more than 2 checked bags and I overpack.

Archived