Rumor - CCL considering a baggage fee?

maxxboy

I wouldn't put it past them, but I can't imagine why anyone would need or even want more than two checked bags in the first place.

Ditto! As long as they allow 2 bags per person without a fee, no complaints here.

For 8 days, my husband and I have always had one each, and either one or two carryons, for 5 day, we shared a checked bag and had a carryon each. I can't imagine needing more than 4 -checked- bags between the two of us! (And if you had kids, you can't say you need more than 4 checked bags, because this says 2 bags per person, so they get bags too.)

Where do you even PUT the bags in your cabin if you bring more than two per person?

Wouldn't surprise me if they start checking bags in like the airlines do - when you get up to the counter. Therefore they would either print your tags there (which would be wonderful), or have you bring them like now, but only allow the 2 per person and then charge you for extra.

I was on a flight the other day and struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me. Come to find out the are avid cruisers and were recently on a Carnival cruise (I don't remember the ship), and according to her, their room steward told them CCL was considering a limit of 2 checked bags per passenger, and there would be a fee for 3rd+ bags checked in. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I hope it isn't true.

Holy cow do people actually take more than two bags per person? I mean if you were on a month long trip maybe but for the average 3-10 day trip are there that many people bringing that much stuff?

;) I though I was an overpacker but I've never managed more than two bags and honestly usually just have one + my tote or backpack.

I could see needing more than 2 bags pp for some cruises... like a Christmas cruise if you were bring a lot of gifts (or a small tree), the infamous drag cruise, a wedding cruise, a halloween cruise, heck even traveling with kids means a lot of extra bags for diapers, babyfood, a pack and play (carnival's sucked) etc...

I doubt that there's any validity to that rumor. Why should Carnival care, after all these years, how many bags you have? It's not like a few extra suitcases on board is going to have any adverse effect on the ship's fuel consumption.

Well for one, just like the airlines, it has the possibility to generate a good amount of income. But also because people can bring as much luggage as they want, some will bring more stuff then they need. If they start charging for anything over two bags people will start bringing less stuff. People try to cheat the system when asked to pay ten dollars to bring wine into the mdr, you think they will pay 20-30 per extra bag? Less luggage=less stuff for carnival to handle.

I would not be surprised to see this roll out.

I could never pack 2 bags per person so it wouldn't be an issue for me. The nice thing about Carnival is they do have washing machines, so doing laundry is a feasible option.

I think would prefer that they check the luggage in and print your tags right there at the counter like the airlines do.

One less thing I have to worry about forgetting. And I'm not one to have the porters fill out the tags so it would be nice.

This would not affect us. We travel with one large suitcase each, and then one garment bag that holds both suits for formal night. Also, we have one small carry-on bag that holds meds, camera, passports etc. That is what we used on the 15 day to Hawaii, so I cannot imagine ever needing more.

That is of course us, we are guys.. we do not have "outfits" for every occasion, we just have pants & shirts. Pretty much every shirt will match every pair of pants.. :eek:

Holy cow do people actually take more than two bags per person? I mean if you were on a month long trip maybe but for the average 3-10 day trip are there that many people bringing that much stuff?

;) I though I was an overpacker but I've never managed more than two bags and honestly usually just have one + my tote or backpack.

My ex wife used to bring 2 bags for clothes and 1 bag of nothing but shoes, plus a carry on. I bring one bag and a carry on(my carry on is filled with a change of clothes for the day of boarding while I wait on my checked luggage to arrive). And another couple we cruised with once had 8 bags for 2 people...so yeah...it happens.

Maybe they'll try and bill your S&S card if more than 2 per person is delivered???

Can't imagine 2 large suitcases per person for 7 days. Our last Dream cruise, my son and I each just used a Carry On to avoid airline fees. Now that they're charging for carryons too - we will do just one suitcase and no carryon (allowed one purse or laptop/personal carry on - w/o charge) for our upcoming Dream.

My parents, who are in their 80's have six bags. Regardless if they are doing a one or two week cruise. :confused:

I know, I have to load and unload them from the van. :eek:

it would be so easy.

First two bags delivered to your room free. Third bag $50, charged to your account. One carry on that fits through the x-ray, just like the airport.

I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

You must have never heard of chronic overpacking syndrome. I'm afflicted with it, and I have yet to find a cure.

For me, a bag fee would be the cure.

But actually, even with scuba gear, I'm pretty sure I can get by with two checked bags/person.

Ask my wife, she knows how.

:D:o Same here! I can do it easy! Our last cruise was 21 days...b2b2b...easy to have more than 2 bags!

When the airlines started charging more for extra bags...I quit flying. No problem if Carnival starts charging for extra bags...I will cruise on a different cruise line. Problem solved.

Fine by me, this would not affect us.

DH and I packed heavy for our last cruise, and we still only had 2 bags, plus our backpack.

This time around to avoid baggage fees from the airline, we're only flying with carryons. Since I tend to overpack, this is becoming a challenge that I'm enjoying planning out already.

it would be so easy.

First two bags delivered to your room free. Third bag $50, charged to your account. One carry on that fits through the x-ray, just like the airport.

LOL! This was something I joked about two years ago.

I'm also heard they are doing-away with the MDR altogether and replacing it with vending machines. <---normally I would follow this with a "winky" but, with the way things are going...

One carry on that fits through the x-ray, just like the airport.

There is no reason to limit carry ons. The airline does it due to space on the plane. If I can carry it, and it fits through the screeners- why would Carnival prevent it?

Most people have multiple carryons: their rolling bag, their camera bag, a laptop bag, their wine and Coke bag. I've never felt it slowed down lines to screen the stuff, which is the only other reason I could think to limit carry ons.

We usually have two bags each, but that holds plenty. So it won't affect us. But I'm still disgusted by this idea because it's just another money grab. And I really hate to hear so many people saying that it's OK with them, simply because they won't be personally affected. Why don't people realize that it's just a first step. They'll allow two to start, just to get you used to the idea of there being an allowable amount, and a fee to be paid for more. I give it one year before the fee is required for the second bag, and less than that before the charge for the first bag too. Just like the airlines.

And as for a reason to limit carry ons, that's easy $$$$

I doubt that there's any validity to that rumor. Why should Carnival care, after all these years, how many bags you have? It's not like a few extra suitcases on board is going to have any adverse effect on the ship's fuel consumption.

Why should Carnival care,

Another way for Carnival to make money, that's why.

I must admit, when I went on my first cruise 2 years ago I was shocked by the number of bags outside some cabins....why would you need all that luggage for a 5 night cruise? Me & my husband take 1 large suitcase and 1 carry on each. That is more than enough. I can understand why they would want to impose a limit or impose a charge for excess baggage. They are just falling into line with the airlines.

Thinking the same thing. Before we became platinum DW and I easily made due with one bag each.

And of course she got the bigger oneicon7.gif

I would almost bet you could judge a persons cruise history count by how much luggage they have.lol

We now travel with two carry on's and back pack. I want even tell you how much we hauled first cruise. After 15 cruises we have gone down each cruise and not suffered any.

1) Carnival has no way of knowing how many bags you check as the porters just take your bags and put them where they can be loaded onto the ship. Bags don't even arrive at our cabin at the same time.

2) Number of bags per pallet or number of pallets probably make no difference either, the price of them loaded, I'm assuming, is per contract/port fees.

3) On a typical 7-night cruise, why would you need more than two checked bags per person? My wife and I usually have one checked bag each, and then one or two that we will carry on.

Archived