Rumor - CCL considering a baggage fee?

maxxboy

A cruise I took in 1992, I remember being parked next to Princess..I think Regal..anyway they were fairly new and looked and were far nicer...but will never forget in the Ft. L. airport talking to a couple just off Princess about it..LOADED with carreyons..the guy was in his 70's and suffering..I could only imagine how much she had packed and checked...she described her room and how wonderful it was..he said it wad a little tight with the stuff as he struggled to his seat...she just said.."Dear you are not a woman and you can not understand."

Those days are over,,,

But I still have fantasies of a world cruise and those amazing drawer trunks and someone else carreying it all...and all the dress up...old movies of the forties and fifties..my sis got a good deal on one for doll stuff for her girls...

I also love getting to be a better packer and freedom...

I would hate to see cruise lines, like the airlines, charge for luggage....just awful...Sarah

Other than a greedy way to take money from you, I see no reason why this would/could even be instituted.

You would find everyone going on board wearing 5 to 7 layers of clothing, Joey Tribiani style.

YfSOiqBBzn74stev9lwjMDTxo1_500_zps91e03260.jpg

I would almost bet you could judge a persons cruise history count by how much luggage they have.lol

We now travel with two carry on's and back pack. I want even tell you how much we hauled first cruise. After 15 cruises we have gone down each cruise and not suffered any.

2 bags each are plenty for us

I did a euro land trip with a " seasoned traveler " they were bragging how they were prepared to do Europe for three weeks with a carrying and backpack

We had two big rollers each, while it was bit of an issue loading and unloading

When my kids looked at our pics in beautiful retardants and plaza they ask who are those guys with you , the look like hobos

Other than a greedy way to take money from you, I see no reason why this would/could even be instituted.

You would find everyone going on board wearing 5 to 7 layers of clothing, Joey Tribiani style.

Nah not everybody just the majority or cruise critic members=

===================================================

For those of you who wait for change at the 99 cent store..... I salute you

It actually wouldn't surprise me. It seems like it would be the next nickel and dime thing to occur. Since the airlines started charging so much, our family (and I am sure many others) have just packed lighter.

For myself, wife and 8 year old, we each carry a small rolling suitcase, a size that fits in the overhead of a plane, and carry either a large purse or book bag/backpack as well. These two items per person are very managable even for our 8 year old. This way we always have our luggage as well, nothing gets lost. No checking luggage at the airport, no paying porters, no waiting for luggage to come to the room. The savings is so worth it. 10 days gone easily with this system (unless you pack formal).

Just out of curiousity, are you taking short cruises? We only take 7 or 8 day cruises and can NOT imagine packing for the two of us in carry on luggage.

I do not know about the baggage fee but I DO KNOW FROM A RELIable source that they will be charging for toilet paper. You will not be able to bring your as it will be confiscated. But the goo d news is that the bio bag will still be free.

i do not know about the baggage fee but i do know from a reliable source that they will be charging for toilet paper. You will not be able to bring your as it will be confiscated. But the goo d news is that the bio bag will still be free.

lol...

2 bags each are plenty for us

i did a euro land trip with a " seasoned traveler " they were bragging how they were prepared to do europe for three weeks with a carrying and backpack

we had two big rollers each, while it was bit of an issue loading and unloading

when my kids looked at our pics in beautiful retardants and plaza they ask who are those guys with you , the look like hobos

lololol...

LMAO..there we all are....

Even with real formal wear, how do you fill more than two bags for a week?

I recommend rolling it. Hubby and I went on a cruise last year for a week and had one large suitcase, one garment bag, and one smaller bag suitcase for shoes = 3 bags between us and we brought different outfits for days and nights. If you roll the clothes you fit soooooo much more.

I wouldn't be surprised either if they charged. I've done an 8 day to Bermuda in a carry-on and a tote and walked past couples who had 6 bags of the 26" or above size! With each successive cruise, I've packed more efficiently and gotten it down so I can handle my own luggage, and that includes nicer clothes for dinner (we do change for the dining room) plus the cruise elegant dress. Nowdays, the materials are such that we can do that. DD's full-length black XOXO gown - ruched bodice with chiffon skirt - crumples into a little ball and pulls out totally unwrinkled! I like not risking losing a bag, plus packing less means I'm less likely to leave something behind. AND no checked bag fee! :D

We take one suitcase each plus a shared carryon with meds etc. It would be no problem for us and if this rumor did come to fruition, perhaps luggage would get to the cabins earlier.

We are Platinum and still don't get our luggage as quickly as advertised as we are on Deck 8 and I believe even the FTTF is delivered by deck, so the higher the deck, the later it's delivered. I'm all for getting the luggage asap.

I was on a flight the other day and struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me. Come to find out the are avid cruisers and were recently on a Carnival cruise (I don't remember the ship), and according to her, their room steward told them CCL was considering a limit of 2 checked bags per passenger, and there would be a fee for 3rd+ bags checked in. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I hope it isn't true.

Yeah, because we know the cabin stewards are the first to know the policy changes that impact the financial performance of publicly traded companies.

Yeah, because we know the cabin stewards are the first to know the policy changes that impact the financial performance of publicly traded companies.

Exactly. In my 6+ years on these boards, I don't think I've ever seen a rumor from dining room staff, waiters, etc come to fruition. I believe the poster was told said rumor: I just don't believe the rumor.

When my kids looked at our pics in beautiful retardants and plaza they ask who are those guys with you , the look like hobos

Fair enough, but who outside of high school is vain enough to worry about that? Function over form, all the way.

I was on a flight the other day and struck up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me. Come to find out the are avid cruisers and were recently on a Carnival cruise (I don't remember the ship), and according to her, their room steward told them CCL was considering a limit of 2 checked bags per passenger, and there would be a fee for 3rd+ bags checked in. Has anyone else heard this rumor? I hope it isn't true.

2 bags a person is a lot. if you need three your over packing big time

Even with real formal wear, how do you fill more than two bags for a week?

Brides... I'm one of them and I will have stuff for my wedding (that isn't happening at embarkation but on the first port day), my wedding dress, my fiance's clothes, extra hair care products (my sister is doing my hair), makeup products (I'm doing that), and about a gazillion other things I have on my list.

I'm sure I can have more than 2 bags!!!! :eek:

2 bags a person is a lot. if you need three your over packing big time

I want to see me take 2 bags on a b2b2b or even a b2b which is what we do. More than 2 bags is not too much when you are on a cruise for over 14 days. I know I overpack but try figuring out what one will wear for 14 to 21 days in advance is not something I could ever do. I like to have choices.

I wonder, if the same people on here that are saying, "It does not effect me...go a head and charge more because the people that take more than 2 suitcases overpack" would feel the same way if Carnival was to start charging them for something extra that they do.

Archived