We can brings small knives again

DrD

[quote name='peteukmcr']Why are you carrying knives? I travel extensively and after flying around the world to many different countries over many years I have yet needed a knife during my journey. :confused::confused:

[COLOR=red]They are a threat[/COLOR], [/quote]

Uhhhh, seriously? :rolleyes: You REALLY consider a small pocket knife with a - 3 inch blade a "weapon" and a threat? If someone needed a weapon bad enough, all they would have to do is take a steak knife out of Chops.

In fact, I can think of MANY things already on board that would be much more of a threat than a measly little pocket knife with a small blade on it.

SMH.

[quote name='secret1122']That being said, upon seeing the very first post here from peteukmcr and seeing where he's from, it immediately brought to mind one of my more favorite photos I've seen. This is my first attempt at attaching a photo, let's hope it works.[/quote]Thanks:rolleyes:

[quote name='ryano']Uhhhh, seriously? :rolleyes: You REALLY consider a small pocket knife with a - 3 inch blade a "weapon" and a threat? If someone needed a weapon bad enough, all they would have to do is take a steak knife out of Chops.
[I][COLOR=Red]Depending on where you place it on a body, it can easily kill. For instance, you can sever the carotid artery in the right side of the neck, which has virtually no protection. You could slice the upper right abdominal area, and lay open the liver. You can place it just below the middle of ribs, and puncture the stomach. Depending on the weight of the person, you could stab the side of the lower back, and catch the kidneys. There's also the obvious of stabbing out the eyes. It really doesn't take much to kill, or permanently hurt another human.[/COLOR][/I]

In fact, I can think of MANY things already on board that would be much more of a threat than a measly little pocket knife with a small blade on it.

SMH.[/quote]Yes, on an aircraft which is the subject relating to knives, I believe it is a threat. I mentioned nothing about taking knives from the ship.

I believe I am entitled to my opinion, I am not trying to change anyone else's. But anything that can be done to reduce the threat should be congratulated.

But as usual when anyone's opinion differs to that of the majority, those of us from outside the US who have differing views are made to feel extremely unwelcome.

[quote name='twinkle1980']I dont understand why anyone would want to carry knives or scissors (or any other multitool, tweezers etc) in their hand luggage?...Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why these items are such a necessity in their hand luggage?[/quote]Because some of us check luggage only if absolutely necessary. I used to do lots of one night business trips and had a little over the attache case that carried clean underwear, socks, shirt and necessary toiletries. I don't know how many hundreds of hours over the years I saved not waiting for luggage. I have gone many times on three week trips with only a back pack. If I'm going to hike Inca trails, I better be able to carry everything I'm taking - and one of the things I'm taking is a Swiss Army knife. I have made ten trips to South America and have not checked a bag for any of them. Amazingly the baggage handlers have never lost or damaged my non-checked luggage:rolleyes:

twinkle1980: Has that enlightened you as to why someone might want to carry a knife?

Thom

[quote name='CroozeAddict']True ... but the same could be said about the folks who make "box cutters" too.[/quote]

Crooze

It is NOT the box cutters, nor, the 3 inch personal hygiene Swiss Army knife that are the "threats to air commerce" but, the person that uses them for such.

Neither my little Swiss Army knife, nor, myself, would be considered a "threat to air commerce", and, I resented the implication by the female TSA agent that implied that to me...

[COLOR="Black"] Ever wonder why we don't arm the entire planet with those little Swiss Army knives?

Look how safe a place Switzerland is. Imagine telling a bad guy, I'll get you with the tweezers and if that doesn't work the bottle opener will finish you off.

World peace.
[/COLOR]

[quote name='peteukmcr']Thanks:rolleyes:

Yes, on an aircraft which is the subject relating to knives, I believe it is a threat. I mentioned nothing about taking knives from the ship.

I believe I am entitled to my opinion, I am not trying to change anyone else's. But anything that can be done to reduce the threat should be congratulated.

But as usual when anyone's opinion differs to that of the majority, those of us from outside the US who have differing views are made to feel extremely unwelcome.[/QUOTE]

I do think the poster who said that being from outside the US you would not understand personal freedom crossed a line. MANY Americans are upset by this, and the US is actually more controlling than much of Europe in many ways. I think there are people who view pocket knives as tools (likely people who regularly use them as such) and others who view them as weapons--and therein lies the major difference in reactions.

HOWEVER, I think you brought a lot of this on yourself by being extremely rude and condescending to those who had an opinion which was different than your own (like the lovely line about how obviously people wanting to carry on a pocket knife must not check luggage and are the same annoying people who drag on huge carry ons, etc). Perhaps, if you were able to present your side of the debate in a polite and respectful manor, you would find the responses to be a it nicer as well.

[quote name='GaryfmCol']My little Swiss knife is a personal use tool, like scissors, nail file, toothpick, tweezers and, a little 3 in. knife blade.. Hardly takes up ANY space..usually in my pocket for personal hygiene.
And, most certainly NOT a "threat to air commerce". [COLOR=red]Only a fool would[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]believe that[/COLOR]![/quote]
Remember the TSA agent who confiscated the cupcake because of the icing. They are out there and sometimes in positions of authority.

[quote name='NHDisneylover']I do think the poster who said that being from outside the US you would not understand personal freedom crossed a line. MANY Americans are upset by this, and the US is actually more controlling than much of Europe in many ways. I think there are people who view pocket knives as tools (likely people who regularly use them as such) and others who view them as weapons--and therein lies the major difference in reactions.

HOWEVER, I think you brought a lot of this on yourself by being extremely rude and condescending to those who had an opinion which was different than your own (like the lovely line about how obviously people wanting to carry on a pocket knife must not check luggage and are the same annoying people who drag on huge carry ons, etc). Perhaps, if you were able to present your side of the debate in a polite and respectful manor, you would find the responses to be a it nicer as well.[/quote]

Excellent post! :)

[quote name='twinkle1980']I dont understand why anyone would want to carry knives or scissors (or any other multitool, tweezers etc) in their hand luggage?

I for one dont want to be sat next to the guy who is cutting his nails [IMG]http://www.55productionz.com/forum/images/smilies/puke.gif[/IMG], or the lady who is tweezering her eyebrows, and I certainly dont understand the need for a multitool, unless of course he is going to rewire the aircraft or perhaps enjoys a bit of wood whittling! [IMG]http://files.myopera.com/debplatt/smiley/shrug2.gif[/IMG]

Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why these items are such a necessity in their hand luggage?[/quote]

[quote name='peteukmcr']Oh, just realised you probably haven't got any checked bags, but just some monstrosity of a carry on, so my suggestion doesn't work, sorry. Still no excuse for carrying a knife JMHO.

As for allowing school children to carry knives is beyond my comprehension. :eek:[/quote]

I seldom check a bag, and I make sure that my carryon fits within the limited prescribed by the airline on which I'm travelling. Although most of the US domestic airlines allow 40 pounds, even this P90X grad doesn't want to lift that much weight into the overhead bins, so it's usually 25 pounds or less. Therefore, my tweezers and little scissors come with me, but I promise not to tweeze on the plane.

As others have said, a 2" Swiss Army knife blade is no more dangerous than a host of other items that could be used as weapons ([I]e.g.[/I], a ballpoint pen). I used to carry one, but found that I only used the corkscrew part:p, so ditched the knife in favor of a corkscrew (without a cutting blade, just a circular thingy that cuts the foil on the bottle).

If I am checking a bag, I put anything that might draw untoward interest in there to keep the security screening as uneventful as possible.

And I agree about kids in school with knives.

[quote name='blusry'][COLOR=black] Ever wonder why we don't arm the entire planet with those little Swiss Army knives?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Look how safe a place Switzerland is. Imagine telling a bad guy, I'll get you with the tweezers and if that doesn't work the bottle opener will finish you off.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]World peace.[/COLOR]

.[/quote]

Given how my husband reacted the one and only time I tried to tweeze a stray facial hair, I think that the bad guy might run for his life.:p

[quote name='peteukmcr']They are a threat, and as for all those sports equipment, it belongs in only one place, and that isn't in the cabin. They can also be used as a weapon. [/QUOTE]

Are you going to replace $600 worth of hockey sticks when the gorilla baggage handlers snap 'em in two? As has been stated, almost ANYthing can be used as a weapon. A cell phone charging cable could disable you and choke you to death a lot faster than a hockey stick is going to beat you to death... so nobody should be allowed to bring their car chargers, either!

[quote name='bouhunter']Well you have a problem with knives, sports equipment, and carry on bags. I suppose you think pretty soon we should all travel naked to make it simple, faster and safer.......[/QUOTE]

That is a VERY DISGUSTING MENTAL PICTURE! [IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/2wn70c5.gif[/IMG]

I've always thought it was a silly rule, but apparently the experts feel differently:

Washington (CNN) -- Groups representing Federal Air Marshals and flight attendants -- outraged over the Transportation Security Administration's decision to allow small pocketknives back into aircraft cabins -- say they will ask the TSA to reconsider the policy.
Both groups say they learned about the policy change Tuesday, and charged that the TSA is forgetting about the terrorist attacks that led to the formation of the agency.
"It's as if we didn't learn anything from 9/11," said George Randall Taylor, head of the air marshal unit of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA). "Flight attendants are going to be sitting ducks."

[quote name='DrD']I've always thought it was a silly rule, but apparently the experts feel differently:

Washington (CNN) -- Groups representing Federal Air Marshals and flight attendants -- outraged over the Transportation Security Administration's decision to allow small pocketknives back into aircraft cabins -- say they will ask the TSA to reconsider the policy.
Both groups say they learned about the policy change Tuesday, and charged that the TSA is forgetting about the terrorist attacks that led to the formation of the agency.
"It's as if we didn't learn anything from 9/11," said George Randall Taylor, head of the air marshal unit of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA). "Flight attendants are going to be sitting ducks."[/quote]

I will be curious to see if it makes a difference...

I get so upset...that our job is changed do to trying be pleasing to the public....but safety is not always pleasing...if you would speak to others in different countries you would be happy to have the freedom we do have.

I also will be curious how many knives are surrendered due to they think it took effect already and don't pay attention to the rules you agree to when you purchase your ticket....if you don't like it DON"T FLY! It is your choice!

[quote name='peteukmcr']Why are you carrying knives? I travel extensively and after flying around the world to many different countries over many years I have yet needed a knife during my journey. :confused::confused:

They are a threat, and as for all those sports equipment, it belongs in only one place, and that isn't in the cabin. They can also be used as a weapon.

People bring enough junk onboard which clutters up the luggage space and delays boarding, and as a result take off, because someone can't get their precious oversized carry on (the size of these are sometimes a joke being allowed to be classed as carry on, the owner can't lift them, and why should the cabin attendants risk a hernia because of someone's overweight bag?) and it also delays disembarkation while people struggle getting the bags out.

IMHO the airlines and the authorities have become far to lenient in what they allow onboard. It should be even stricter in my view. Less clutter, fewer potential weapons and smaller carry on bags mean a faster more relaxing journey.[/quote]

They should have never changed up on this policy. Those that travel often know what the rules are and those that don't should know what they can and cant bring with them.

Archived